[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FF: Mystic Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: Final_Fantasy_Mystic_US_boxart.jpg (47KB, 495x343px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_Mystic_US_boxart.jpg
47KB, 495x343px
Who else played Mystic Quest back in the day? It was designed as 'babby's first RPG', and was just that for me, at the age of 7. I remember thinking at the time it was complex as fuck, but also not very difficult. I'm sure that means if I came back to it now, 20+ years later, it would be a simple piece of shit.

Thoughts on this game?
>>
It hasn't aged very well but I do think it did an okay job to be something that introduces people to the concept of RPG. Problem is that if you've played any RPG because it's going to be a total bore to play.

Music is great though. Boss theme is one of my favorite battle tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTI8j1egZg
>>
Never played it, some of the music is real good.
>>
Shame the guy who did the OST stopped doing videogame music and went to some Queen cover band (acording to wikipedia, not sure if it's true).
>>
It didn't really get the job done, western audiences didn't REALLY get into are-pee-gees until Mario RPG. Even then popular franchises like Dragon Warrior and Heracles never became a thing (at least in the US).
>>
>>4227839
>went to buy a snes from retro shop
>can choose one game to take with the console
>have to choose between mk1 and this
>"woah final fantasy?! I heard good things about this series!"
>take FF
>go home
>realise you've made a mistake
>decide to get a flashcard, takes a while to get to me through mail
>realise this piece of turd is the only thing i have to play for months
>>
>>4227839
GREAT OST
BUT LIMITED GAMEPLAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UNwLHA6x1Y
>>
For "babby's first RPG" it's actually pretty great. Basic as fuck but even so I still get a kick out of replaying it every now and then.
>>
>>4227847
Outside of the Mega Man X games, FFMQ had the most metal soundtrack on the SNES.
>>
best soundtrack on the system every song in the game is good
>>
>>4228049

Those two games have great music, but MOST metal? Here comes a challenger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwaGtLiw04M&index=8&list=PL1fkbh1UXcmhtryRigQWRbGOxGMCbuZK5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhmIa0XYTvQ
>>
>>4227847
>aged

>>4228034
If anything it seems to embrace what the whole FF series is
>>
>>4227839
This game (and the gameboy titles) confused me as a kid. It played nothing like Final Fantasy games that I knew and I was confused as to why it was called Final Fantasy.
>>
>>4227954
THANKS
>>
>>4227839
It's a great game on its own, but you can't really take it in the same group as Final Fantasy.

If it were just called "Mystic Quest", it'd be phenomenal. Some platforming, some RPG elements, great cast of characters, great items and weapons. Just a great game.
>>
Man, this game is kinda ugly. 1991 and 1992 had some pretty SNES games but Mystic Quest isn't one of them.
>>
>>4228318
That's kind of cheating. Green Jelly is an actual metal band.
>>
>>4227839
Sadly enough, while not the first jrpg I ever played (that was Phantasy Star on Sega Master System) it was the first Final Fantasy I played. I still remember enjoying it, mostly because any kind of rpg was something to celebrate in those days.
>>
>>4227839
Funny thing about this game...
No matter how many battles you fight, even if you kill everything in every dungeon and do all the battle squares on the map - you will never be stronger than the characters that join and leave you through the game.
>>
File: FFMQPhoebe.png (300KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
FFMQPhoebe.png
300KB, 540x540px
Phoebe is my waifu.
>>
>>4227839
I actually really like it. I actually owned it for years, rented both Final Fantasy IV and VI, loved both and somehow only found out that Mystic Quest was a Final Fantasy game years later.

It's a shame that the only thing that kept it from being a great game was itself. I'd love to see a remake of it similar to the one FF3 got, with more characterization, a permanent cast and more traditional JRPG elements but the chance of that happening is zero.
>>
File: 634544356.jpg (66KB, 540x309px) Image search: [Google]
634544356.jpg
66KB, 540x309px
superior game coming through
>>
>>4230212
That's nice. Go make its own thread if you wanna talking about it instead of just being a shitposting cunt here.
>>
>>4230216
calm down nerd
>>
>>4227925
The problem was mostly that they tried using the Final Fantasy name to sell their game to an audience that had zero familiarity with Final Fantasy because the prospect of playing a Final Fantasy game terrified the hell out of them. Mario RPG attracted them with the far more familiar Mario name.
>>
>>4230287
>Final Fantasy
>Final Fantasy II (IV)
>Final Fantasy Legend
>Final Fantasy Legend II
>Final Fantasy Adventure
>All released in NA before Mystic Quest
>Zero familiarity
>ZERO FAMILIARITY
>>
>>4230315
Yeah, but Mystic Quest's target audience hadn't played those games, and if they associated them with anything at all, it'd be "super overcomplicated bullshit I'd never understand so I don't even want to bother".
>>
It's a serviceable RPG, not particularly deep or anything, but it scratches the itch and can be picked up and put down quickly, which is something I really liked compared to other RPGs of the time with save points. Save in the middle of a dungeon? No problem. Long ass cutscenes after already long boss fights? Not here, we'll plop you right back into the game just after you watch this crystal shine.

Compared to playing FFIV or VI, it was nice because you knew if you had to stop to do something else, you were never more than a minute or two away from doing so. With the other two, you either had to leave the system on pause or cast warp/exit to go save in the middle of a dungeon, losing any progress you've made through it.
>>
>>4228363
>If anything it seems to embrace what the whole FF series is

Pretty much this, you're a hero going from place to place righting wrongs and saving the world, also crystals. I can't think of anything more Final Fantasy than that.

Honestly, modern games could probably take a page or two from this and focus on creating a concise narrative that's supported by the gameplay to reduce spewing text everywhere.
>>
>>4230102
I'd love to see a "Hardtype" hack for it that makes it a bit more difficult.
>>
>>4230351
>12 years old. Rented ff4but didn't beat it. Liked it.
>goes to video store to buy it
>not there. Mystic quest? I guess that's it?
I think I would have rather had ff4, but it wasn't too bad.
>>
>>4230692
I don't think there's enough mechanics to make it more difficult. You can up enemy health and damage, but that just means players are going to grind up to their level.

I guess you could do something like remove exp from non-bosses though so the player only levels after each segment.
>>
>>4230753
I'm fairly sure you can't actually grind, since shit stays dead once you've killed it and there are no random battles.
>>
>>4230753

I suppose they could rework the maps and put in lots of new, harder puzzles or something.
>>
>>4227839
my first rpg actually
>>
>>4230973
Actually, you can grind. Simply exit and re-enter an area, and the enemies will reappear.
>>
>>4230973
You can just leave to world map and the enemies return.
>>
>>4230973
>>4231224
>>4231225
The level cap is very low though. You only need to do that two or three times and you'll max out.
>>
>>4230753
>>4230973
>>4231207
Getting to max level (41 with 9,999,999 exp) isn't difficult in the normal course of the game. It also doesn't make much of a difference by the end. The difference between mid 30's and max level is minimal.
>>
I liked it. It wasn't the best game out there, but I don't think it deserved all of the hate it got, especially back in the early 2000s when it was still fresh on everyone's mind.
>>
>>4230753
>remove exp from non-bosses though so the player only levels after each segment.
exit% comes close to that: you can finish the game at level 13. add on a couple more requirements - no exploiting glitches and no white magic on bosses - and it's difficult alright.

>I don't think there's enough mechanics to make it more difficult.
not really. in a sense, simplicity is an issue, but that's more in a gross oversight sort-of sense. like not having the option to prevent certain status effects (ex: an accessory that's weaker but blocks paralysis/whatever), so if enemies get a turn then they -always- have the option to disable you and kill you by about the halfway point in the game. the game relies on you being overleveled so you always get the initiative; without it, every encounter is a diceroll.

plus, the defend (cover) mechanic is quite neat and adds a surprising amount of depth for how simple it is. you really don't need more than that and the game's basic attack/magic/item options. fix the issue with status effects and maybe tweak the damage values of boss attacks (not sure if this is an issue; been a year since i did my runs) so rng is eliminated, then it's basic problem-solving to know what a boss can do next and what you might have to do regarding defending in order to survive.

and that'd be great, since basic problem-solving is the best any menu-battler can hope for. unfortunately, despite often having a myriad of choices, most are strictly trial-and-error or are reliant on poorly constrained rng, so their so-called difficulty stems from expecting the player to die a bunch before knowing what to expect (after which the challenge is gone and no brain power is required) or luckshit that's only reduced - not eliminated - by making the best possible decisions. an actually good menu-battler probably would seem simple, just like difficult puzzles are usually solved via simple means.
>>
File: 1504285565993.jpg (68KB, 536x530px) Image search: [Google]
1504285565993.jpg
68KB, 536x530px
Why did Square taught they will need to introduce westerners to RPGs? Where they ignorant of the (W)RPGs on PCs at the time?
>>
>>4230635

Looking back I think Id rather take this games simplistic story over more mainstream hardcore ones stories about time Kompression or being a dream of a ghost from the future past? Some of the big name FF plots are just needlessly fucktarded and I honestly can't see how their game's plots are stronger for them.
>>
>>4231584
They wanted to recreate what Dragon Quest releases were like in Japan over in America. A significant percent of the population rushing to stores to pick up a new release.

The idea was to drum up interest in Americans by providing an easier version of their RPG series to gently roll people into them, the problem is that America is simply too large and diverse to have the same pull with a single genre or style unlike in the homeland. Even with things like Call of Duty, the percentage of the total population who pick up new installments is still less than the percentage of Japanese who pick up DQ and similar games.

FF certainly made strides towards picking up fans, but they weren't the long-term sort of ones you'd want. Non-gamers were picking up the latest Final Fantasies more for their marketed graphical prowess (Despite a few other games of the time being better, especially when looking back, public perception was key) and advertising than they were because they enjoyed the games.
>>
>>4231584
why do westerners think their RPGS are any good? nobody remembers them for a good reason.
>>
>>4230692
I did some searching and Mystic Quest Reborn on romhacking dot net seems interesting, though a couple of the reviews say that it's too hard.
>>
>>4231781
why do people think RPGS are any good? nobody remembers them for a good reason.
>>
>>4231584
They knew there was a huge difference in demographics and interests between western console gamers and computer gamers.

>>4231781
>no one remembers DnD
>no one remembers Elder Scrolls
>the Japanese didn't eat up Wizardry or had their RPGs heavily influenced by it
>>4232948
>no one remembers Pokemon
>no one remembers Bethesda Reiteration V: Now with purchasable mods
You two earned your (You)s but there's just no go left in those posts, you need something with a little more fuel the fire.
>>
File: stop_liking_file.jpg (125KB, 321x360px) Image search: [Google]
stop_liking_file.jpg
125KB, 321x360px
>>4232948
>>
You can always tell someone has a shit taste in vidya when they say super nintendo had the greatest games of all time then list of jrpgs like chrono trigger, earthbound, final fantasy 6, yeah those are good games but settle down faggot you obviously don't know shit about vidya if you think rpgs are that great.

I think a lot of it started as contrarian faggots back then wanting to boast about liking this genre nobody else gave a fuck about then act elitist about it like its the best genre. Much like metalheads.
>>
>>4232985
>whines about contrarian faggots
>acts like a contrarian faggot
>>
>>4232985
At least list what you think are the greatest games so we nonchalantly shit all over them in turn.
>>
>>4232994
I don't think there are greatest games its a matter of preference thats why its so fucking stupid when jrpg fags say that shit, and I never see anyone else doing it. UHHHHH THE PEE CEE IS THE BEST GAMING SYSTEM OF ALL TIME CAUSE IT HAS DOOM AND QUAKE AND DUKE NUKEM 3D. Those 3 games are better than those jrpgs I mentioned before though :^)

>>4232990
I didnt say anything contrarian you retarded little jrpg faggot, I said they were good games just because I dont felate them and say they are the best ever doesnt mean Im being contrarian. Exact type of faggot I described in my post actually.
>>
>>4227954
KEEP ME UPDATED
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.