[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fallout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 7

File: fallout 1.jpg (12KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
fallout 1.jpg
12KB, 255x198px
has anyone played fallout from 1997
>>
Yes, it's fucking amazing and 3 and 4's writing are fucking trash compared to the original 2. New Vegas is the only exception though.
>>
>>4226729
>retro geek
>>
>>4226807
woah ive never seen this unique hot opinion before
>>
>>4226807
2edgy4me
>>
>>4226729

Nope.
>>
>>4226843
>>4226850
>>>/v/
>>
>>4226843
>>4226850
he's right you know
>>
>>4226843
>I want unique opinions, not well supported opinions
>>
>>4226970
rektem
>>
>>4226729
Yeah i felt like i was playing resident evil rpg, though i would like a game that plays like RE (well like the REmake) with fallout storytelling dialogue and variety of weapons and skills and no savegame anywhere cuz that makes everything piss easy.
>>
>>4227041
Isometric Resident Evil would be amazing

And I don't mean Gaiden
>>
>>4227051
>>4227041
I need isometric resident evil now

fuck you
>>
>>4226729
Yes.
>>
>>4226729
Literally every person in the world older than you has played it.
>>
>>4226729
Nope. In the world of 7billion people you're the only one.
>>
>>4226807
There is nothing wrong with this post
>>
>>4226729
what do you mean? Fallout always started with 3 :^)
>>
>>4226843

>on /vr/
>complaining about the view that the 1990s fallouts are better than the 21st century fallouts

What did you mean by this?
>>
>>4226729
what is better than f2?
Fallout 2 with Restoration Project:

The purpose of this project was to add back intoFallout 2all the missing content (locations, NPCs, items, etc.), that were pulled or left unfinished in the original game, as well as fix some bugs where possible. This expansion attempted to stay true to what madeFalloutgreat and thus the new content was going to be a reality of what the original developers wanted.

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Killap%27s_Fallout_2_Restoration_Project
>>
Got this on CD a few years back. Haven't finished it, started too many games.
>>
>>4230794
Restoration Project on one hand adds a lot of nice quality of life stuff and options (such as being able to control companions), but the bonus locations added by it... well, you could tell why they were cut. They're just too empty, primitive, and kinda pointless filler.

I'm not revisiting the Abbey or EPA ever again.
>>
>>4226807

Best post in the entire thread is also the first.
>>
File: fallout 1 no damage.jpg (516KB, 1282x992px) Image search: [Google]
fallout 1 no damage.jpg
516KB, 1282x992px
Why are these games so dark? And I don't mean dark as in "dark humor", but dark as in I CAN'T FUCKING SEE ANYTHING EVEN DURING DAYLIGHT. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but the game has a really strong contrast. The new (3, NV) seem to have a similar problem where I have to use the pipboy flashlight even during daylight time.
>>
>>4235507
>Dark, unlit atmosphere

I mean what do you want when there's no streetlights or natural light from the stars? (Cause of all that shit in the atmosphere/the sky)
>>
>>4226729
Tried playing it without reading the manual first. Had absolutely zero idea what I was looking at or what to do. Clearly I need to sit down with that PDF for a couple of hours before getting into it, but first I need to give a shit.
>>
File: 2653552916_02341372dc.jpg (125KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2653552916_02341372dc.jpg
125KB, 500x375px
>>4227041
>>4227085
>>4227051
Sounds like Survival Crisis Z?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol73B6siNUY
>>
>>4230794
Does it replace gold with caps? That was always the thing that irked me about 2.
>>
>>4236426
I am a big fan of Survival Crisis Z. I wrote a review at one time. Fantastic game.
>>
>>4236426
Sound levels are fucked in that game
>>
Tandi is Aredesh's daughter right? Why is she white and southern in Fallout 2?
>>
Yes, the game is beautiful. Had to reset a few times because I didn't know how to make a character properly but in the end, I managed to beat it.
>>
>>4226729
No.
Your trip is lame, change it.
>>
>>4236707
>Your trip is lame
>didn't use a trip
I thought school was back in session?
>>
>>4226729
I finished this game for the first time last week and now im on 2.
I feel such an idiot on how I missed out on a lot of cool PC games back in the day because I was a console fag elitist.
Im goig to make this and 2 a yearly thing now, try diferent builds and choises to advance trough both games.
Yesterday I was having problems in the wasteland, my guns broke all the time and for some reason everyone was killing the shit out of me every step I made.
Then I realise i was jinxed and coudnt understand why. Nothing that a little google search didnt helped but dayum these games are filled with a lot of hidden stuff.

I havent played the PS3/4 games but im playing my way up to those and I have seen that New Vegas its the pinacle of the series. cant wait to get to that one.

Vault City prevails!
>>
Massively overrated game from the era of massively overrated CRPGs. It's got a great setting, immersive atmosphere, a shit ton of dialogue options and it plays like total shite. There's basically no strategy to the combat at all, you can't control your followers' actions and every battle comes down to a brute force butting of heads where victory is based on a combination of luck and how good your gear and skills are. You might as well not be playing the combat parts at all. And oh yeah, there's a shit ton of character creations options, but only really a handful of builds that actually work. The illusion of choice in full effect.

It and it's sequel are up there with titles like Arcanum and Planescape: Torment. They're all fascinating games that absolutely suck at being games. The kind of hipster shit that the contrarians on 4chan pretend to love because they know it'll earn them cool points.
>>
>>4236607
Aradesh is meant to come from Vault 15, which put up people of radically varied ethnicities, religions, backgrounds etc. Aradesh's racial identity is ambiguous and is supposed to be reflected in his speech mannerism. Tandi might have simply not had much exposure to the sun recently. Her unique accent might have been simply morphed and blended in with the locals, given that the biggest people in her council are cowboys like Westin.
>>
>>4237356
You can use cover and maneuvering for your advantage.
>>
>>4237370
It's been a while since I played either of them but it seemed to me that there's an awful lot of fights that take place in large open areas without anything to cover behind.
>>
>>4237391
That's mainly for random encounters but you can still get ruins and the like to hide behind.
Even in the open desert you can try to outmaneuver enemies
>>
>>4237356
>you can't control your followers' actions
You can with RP.
>>
>>4237356
>Massively overrated game from the era of massively overrated CRPGs.
Compared to what? Contemporaries like Descent to Undermountain? Modern games like Dragon Age 2?
> There's basically no strategy to the combat at all
On the contrary, where you aim is often crucial for bringing down foes you can't just gamble on eye-shotting to win, choosing perks between stuff like Action Boy and Life Giver, Better Criticals or Bonus Ranged Damage, etc. is important.
>you can't control your followers' actions
If you really insist, Restoration Project lets you do so. That said, keeping in mind where they are likely to fire and how they will behave is important, as well as making decisions about, for example, using your turn to heal them in battle.
>every battle comes down to a brute force butting of heads where victory is based on a combination of luck and how good your gear and skills are.
As opposed to how most RPGs that emphasize your character building skills and not individual player skill do things?...
>And oh yeah, there's a shit ton of character creations options, but only really a handful of builds that actually work
Off the top of my head:
>Cookie cutter sniper
>Fast Shot burst build, typically Big Guns...
>...and its Small Guns variation with either Magnum .44 (costs 4->3->2 AP, reload costs 1 with upgrade) or H&K P90C (highest amount of burst against unarmored characters in the game)
>...all of which have to learn the most efficient burst patterns to be able to kill multiple enemies in a single burst
>Unarmed brawler (+crit moves in FO2, Power Fist)
>Melee Weapons brawler (Sledgehammer for knockback, Ripper for armor pierce)
>Hybrid of any of the above (Sledgehammer as a form of close range crowd control, Rocket Launcher for long range crowd control)
>on top of viable secondary skills: Throwing, Sneak, Lockpick, Steal, Speech, Doctor, Science, Repair, Outdoorsman
>FO1 has busted Gambling/Barter to earn money efficiently

I think you haven't scraped the bottom.
>>
>>4237504
>Compared to what?
New ones aren't worshipped like the old ones despite crpgs being more often than not brely playable mess with story that's only is passable because it's good by videogames standards.
>you can't just gamble on eye-shotting to win
Eye-shotting has the highest critical chance boost. Everything else is automatically worse starting from lvl 9 thanks to Better Criticals and instant death chance.
>choosing perks between stuff like Action Boy and Life Giver, Better Criticals or Bonus Ranged Damage
95% of all perks are absolutely useless for any build.
>not individual player skill do things
being lucky and eye shots aren't skill
>Fast Shot burst build
which is great early on and sucks monkey dicks when you encounter armored opponents and until you get Sniper/Bozar
>the most efficient burst patterns
shooting point blank to make sure every bullet hits & shooting enemies clumped together takes so much skill
>Unarmed brawler
terrible until Power Fist, especially with HP bloat in FO2
>+crit moves in FO2
cost too much ap compared to basic attacks
>Melee Weapons brawler
knockback sure is fun when you can attack one per round and then chase knocked back enemies around
>Hybrid of any of the above
and you get the skillpoints for it where?
>viable secondary skills: Throwing, Sneak, Lockpick, Steal, Speech, Doctor, Science, Repair, Outdoorsman
Throwing is useless, Steal is the same whether you have 30 or 300 skill, Doctor is only good for exp grinding when you're drowning in stimpacks anyway, etc.
>busted Gambling
exploits are good gameplay now?
Seriously, fallouts were pretty good for their time, but try to stay objective, would you?
>>
>>4237542
>New ones aren't worshipped like the old ones despite crpgs being more often than not brely playable mess with story that's only is passable because it's good by videogames standards.
And yet Bethesda and Bioware games still have massive fanbases. Your point?
>shooting point blank to make sure every bullet hits & shooting enemies clumped together takes so much skill
You can use movement and burst fire to align yourself to shoot enemies in massively stretched out straight lines. Sometimes even shooting at a clump of enemies won't hit them all. Avoiding killing your own allies also factors in. It's not X-Com, but it's servicable.
>which is great early on and sucks monkey dicks when you encounter armored opponents and until you get Sniper/Bozar
Bullshit, Flamer makes short work of Wannamingo Mine and most encounters with critters and highwaymen, Rocket Launcher has good damage and pushes away enemies to give you breathing space, Bonus Ranged Damage gives +2 to each bullet you fire letting you get through the damage threshold if fired close enough.
>terrible until Power Fist, especially with HP bloat in FO2
FO2 makes Unarmed much more viable.
>cost too much ap compared to basic attacks
They're still grossly efficient even for their AP cost, at least according to guy who completed and documented his FO2 Ironman run and extensively used them.
>knockback sure is fun when you can attack one per round and then chase knocked back enemies around
Use Ripper then.
>and you get the skillpoints for it where?
Tag!, high Intelligence, not using Gifted, relying on skillbooks to raise non-combat stats, the fact that high PE can make up for low gun skill, the fact that close range weapons require less weapon skill because there's no range modifiers in place; I have no problem in making my characters in either game a master in at least two weapon types.
>>
>>4237542
>>4237554
>Throwing is useless
Throwing as a secondary skill doesn't need high % to be effective and Plasma/Pulse grenades can work if you insist on them, they work in a pinch in some specific situations and are lightweight. They're viable for that purpose. Also, there exists a gimmicky Throwing build that uses 1 AP Flares and crit chance% stacking perks to reliably stun entire armies of people, letting you coup de grace afterwards.
> Steal is the same whether you have 30 or 300 skill
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>Doctor is only good for exp grinding when you're drowning in stimpacks anyway
And for Living Anatomy perk as well as receiving Vault City Inoculations and a lot of FO2 sidequest stuff. Being able to fix a crippled eye or limb, while not often necessary, is a nice perk. As a secondary tag next to combat skills, it works.
>exploits are good gameplay now?
All I'm saying is that Fallout 1 let you generally win a ton of money at gambling with a modest skill investment and if you had enough patience. It's not a terrible skill choice; it's not a particularly good one, as there are more efficient ways of earning money, but generally, a Fallout character who tags Gambling or Barter gets good returns on it even if they can be easily replicable.
>Seriously, fallouts were pretty good for their time
So not overrated in the end?
>>
>>4237560
>Bethesda and Bioware games have massive fanbases.
They don't scratch your eyes out at any critique. Okay, they do, but not with the fervor of nostalgiafags.
>massively stretched out straight lines
And then they crit your Sun Tzu ass for 214 damage.
>Flamer, Rocket Launcher
They show up just a tiny bit later than armored enemies start shrugging your shots off.
>Bonus Ranged Damage <...> if fired close enough
And while you're closing in to make sure that every bullet hits, you get critted and die.
>FO2 makes Unarmed much more viable
Being stuck with Spiked Knuckles for half a game and having Sulik kill everything instead of you isn't viable. Having special unarmed attacks have knockback that makes you even worse than with knuckles isn't viable.
>grossly efficient even for their AP cost
Piercing strike costing 8 AP to give you 10 more damage and armor-piercing effect when aimed eye-punch does it anyway for 3 ap is grossly efficient?
>Ripper
being stuck with sledgehammer for half a game and enjoying knockbacks is fun too, I guess
>I have no problem in making my characters in either game a master in at least two weapon types
But why would you if you can attack with only one of them at a time?
>work in a pinch
exactly
>gimmicky
exactly
>a single fact to back that up
Raise stealing to 300 via save editor, compare it to having 30. Guess what, you get caught less, but not nearly enough to justify investment. You need perk to offset item size penalties and such and ain't nobody got free perks for this shit.
>Living Anatomy perk
+5 max damage. Awesome when you roll min damage anyway.
>sidequest stuff
dumping token points to pass dialogue checks isn't great gameplay usage. And now that you mention, I recall being crippled around 3 times in both F1 or F2.
>good returns
no argues here, but still pressing 1 and 4 on keyboard and going to drink tea while you mine infinite money is an exploit, give or take
>not overrated in the end?
Back then - no. Now - yes.
>>
>>4237630
>They don't scratch your eyes out at any critique. Okay, they do, but not with the fervor of nostalgiafags.
>And then they crit your Sun Tzu ass for 214 damage.
You know that with enough of a Big Gun investment and PE you can have your entire burst volley be effective over really massive distances and still have plenty AP left to duck behind cover, right?
>They show up just a tiny bit later than armored enemies start shrugging your shots off.
Bullshit, both of those are available to family Made Men, and that's a mid-game quest at best. Since Redding only lets you sort out its problems at level 10 (which is when you unlock the sheriff's quest line), the Flamer shows up at just the right time to clear out the Wannamingos and still be perfectly useful for a ton of quests involving lots of unarmored schmucks, such as clearing out New Reno families or Press Gang vs Hubologists kinda shit, or Frog Morton's brothers. Rocket Launcher doesn't even get shrugged off that easily; it's really effective to distance yourself from Enclave patrols. Also, the same Ironman F2 guy I wrote to you about managed to storm Enclave with the Flamer.
>Piercing strike costing 8 AP to give you 10 more damage and armor-piercing effect when aimed eye-punch does it anyway for 3 ap is grossly efficient?
You're forgetting bonus crit chance, which can very well be a dealbreaker and immensely helpful in fights like the arena in San Fran. Also, upgrading Unarmed gets you the Haymaker with time, which is superior to any knuckles until Power Fist comes online. Unarmed curve is much better in FO2.
>being stuck with sledgehammer for half a game and enjoying knockbacks is fun too, I guess
FO2 Melee progression is again much better, with intermediate weapon choices like Little Jesus or Louisville Slugger. They really fixed crap weapon progression woes from FO1 for most of the underdog weapon types.
>>
Is it ok to play these games with gamefaqs in order to 100% them?
>>
>>4237630
>>But why would you if you can attack with only one of them at a time?
Because weapon combos? Idk, man, having a Sniper Rifle in one hand and a H&K CAWS in another tends to be pretty fucking useful for many situations, so why wouldn't it be useful to have a Super Sledge/Turbo Plasma Rifle combo? Flamer/Sniper? Rocket Launcher/Alien Blaster?
>exactly
Viable doesn't mean "optimal". It means it works if you choose to pick that route.
>Raise stealing to 300 via save editor, compare it to having 30. Guess what, you get caught less, but not nearly enough to justify investment. You need perk to offset item size penalties and such and ain't nobody got free perks for this shit.
You very well might choose Pickpocket over another perk if you want to steal Bozars more reliably, though. Given the prevalence of combat drugs, it might very well be on the level of other level 12 perks. And it's not like you really have that much of a perk problem, you have plenty of room for stuff; not every build needs Better Criticals, for one thing, as good as the perk is, so builds do have leeway..
>no argues here, but still pressing 1 and 4 on keyboard and going to drink tea while you mine infinite money is an exploit, give or take
Eh, sure, alright.
>+5 max damage. Awesome when you roll min damage anyway.
Nope, it actually works on min and max damage. But not on damage from every bullet in a burst volley, unlike Bonus Ranged Damage.
>>
>>4237720
Eh, sure, why not, if you really insist. Don't go wtih GameFAQs, though, Per Jorner's Ultimate Fallout Guide is the most informed one in terms of "shit you can do". His character creation advice is also generally sound though of course you can always optimize further.
>>
>>4237726
>entire burst volley be effective over really massive distances
Sure, but no matter how high your skill is, only 1/3 of bullets hit the intended target. Another 1/3 goes one hex to the left, another 1/3 to the right. Great with Sniper, but otherwise, considering low damage per bullet for automatics, you really have to burst point-blank for full effect.
>both of those are available to family Made Men
>Little Jesus or Louisville Slugger
If you skip to New Reno before Vault City and Redding, sure. Can't argue here, doing Glow Run in F1 myself. Still, plot heavily pushes you towards Vault City, meaning metagame knowledge and such is required.
>Haymaker
It's strictly superior to knuckles with the same AP cost, better damage and bonus 15% crit chance. On paper, that is. It actually has in-built knockback, meaning less damage per turn.
>Super Sledge/Turbo Plasma Rifle
Do you really need anything else after getting Turbo Plasma Rifle?
>Rocket Launcher/Alien Blaster?
Do you really need anything else after getting Alien Blaster?
>Flamer/Sniper?
Sniper Rifle has what, 50 range? You can probably kill everyone before they even get close. Without lugging around heavy as shit flamer fuel and wasting skillpoints...
>Viable doesn't mean "optimal"
...oh, okay. I-it gets better 20 hours in, right?
>if you want to steal Bozars more reliably
Or you can forcefeed beers to people you want to steal from to tank their perception for about the same effect.
>not on damage from every bullet in a burst
So 5 extra damage available at lvl 12 is super useful for sniper builds doing instakill crits every other shot starting from lvl 9 and bursters who can dish hundreds point-blank, got it.
>>
>>4239089
>Sure, but no matter how high your skill is, only 1/3 of bullets hit the intended target. Another 1/3 goes one hex to the left, another 1/3 to the right.
Yeah, no. Only the Flamer has an even spread. Many times you can have regular Big Guns put their entire burst volley into one dude if you're not positioned properly. That, and I've done plenty of stuff like using Light Support Weapon, an early Big Gun, to mow through the Newt Morton gang or wahtnot.
>If you skip to New Reno before Vault City and Redding, sure. Can't argue here, doing Glow Run in F1 myself. Still, plot heavily pushes you towards Vault City, meaning metagame knowledge and such is required.
You can go to New Reno straight after VC and those weapons are still relevant. Frankly, that's what I always do.
>It's strictly superior to knuckles with the same AP cost, better damage and bonus 15% crit chance. On paper, that is. It actually has in-built knockback, meaning less damage per turn.
You can punch people against walls and Bonus Move is already an important perk for meleers (or anyone, really).
>Do you really need anything else after getting Turbo Plasma Rifle?
Yes, because two shots per turn still means someone, like melee Supermutants or Aliens can close the gap with me and then I'd rather rely on knockback.
>Do you really need anything else after getting Alien Blaster?
Yes, because Alien Blaster's range is low and RL lets me disperse groups of tough enemies who can very well kill me if not attended to early.
>Sniper Rifle has what, 50 range? You can probably kill everyone before they even get close. Without lugging around heavy as shit flamer fuel and wasting skillpoints...
My latest run I stormed Deathclaw caves with the aforementioned weapon combo and that helped greatly because when engaging Deathclaws and their extremely high AP it was a good safeguard against getting swarmed. Sniper Rifle is also a good "softener" weapon for Fast Shot builds before they get high-range Big Guns.
>>
>>4239089
>...oh, okay. I-it gets better 20 hours in, right?
Using Throwing as a secondary skill to have grenades compliment your primary gun skill, bearing in mind that you only need around 100% in Throwing to be effective, since you can't aim it and a grenade will always fall *somewhere*? Yeah, that's not a big investment.
>Or you can forcefeed beers to people you want to steal from to tank their perception for about the same effect.
But you were just complaining about using exploits earlier?
>So 5 extra damage available at lvl 12 is super useful for sniper builds doing instakill crits every other shot starting from lvl 9 and bursters who can dish hundreds point-blank, got it.
As I said, Living Anatomy does nothing for bursters. Snipers can still find the perk useful, as the bonus chip damage can really help get past damage threshold on armor, and you can't rely on instakill crits all the time. Not to mention that Living Anatomy really helps melee builds.
>>
>>4235507
they knew it was dark, they put in a perk that raises the brightness only during the night
>>
File: Burst_Shot.gif (12KB, 180x154px) Image search: [Google]
Burst_Shot.gif
12KB, 180x154px
>>4239593
>Yeah, no.
see pic related.
>those weapons are still relevant
that's like saying unarmed doesn't have a bad start because you can go from Vault City to Broken Hills and get yourself a Power Fist soonish. You still have to get through the first 1/3 of the game.
>You can punch people against walls
and to do that you have to get out of chokepoint and leave yourself open
>I'd rather rely on knockback
Shoot Turbo Plasma twice - 2 corpses, get hit by the remaining ones-2
Knockback two enemies - your turn ends, get him by everyone
>Alien Blaster's range is low
not if you hide around the corner and make them come at you
>a good safeguard against getting swarmed
why even use a Sniper Rifle then if you can't avoid getting swarmed?
>before they get high-range Big Guns
but you're were just so adamant on getting Rocket Launcher earlier?
>Yeah, that's not a big investment
which you could of spent on something less gimmicky and not-only-occasionally useful. Like your primary weapon skill?
>complaining about using exploits
>getting infinite money out of thin air is the same as getting people drunk to take advantage of them
???
>you can't rely on instakill crits all the time
you can rely on getting 3x more damage every second shot on average which is slightly better than +5 damage
>>
>X skill is useless, combat is too simple
Every fucking time. Fallout is so much more than that. If you think those somehow make the first two Fallout games bad you should stick to books or something.
>>
>>4239740
That's the point of this discussion, anon. Fallout has great setting/atmosphere/dialogue, but the "being an actual game" part is shit. Like PST. Or Arcanum.
>>
Fallout 2 is the most overrated game of all time.

>that fucking temple of trials
>10 agility is a must for any character
>tag small guns/lockpick/speech and have an intelligence above 3 or just uninstall the game
>companions are fucking useless so being a diplomatic character is savescum city (especially with restoration project my followers become burgermeat every 5 seconds)
>LE EPIC POP CULTURE REFERENCES XD
>>
The dialogue is awful in 1, the writing is incredibly wooden. I would be able to stomach going through a game this badly written if it led smoothly into the sequel (as with the Baldur's Gate trilogy) but the fallout games are pretty self-contained.

At least Fallout 2 has dialogue and writing that is intuitive, deep and smooth, even if much of it is meta-textual (but funny and well-written, and so therefore still immersive).

Unfortunately the combat is deplorable and plodding, which is the one thing that 3 and later games fixed well along with implementing vastly improved graphics, first person POV and free-roaming.
>>
File: 1468927951718.jpg (168KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468927951718.jpg
168KB, 640x960px
>>4239762
This shit again.
>temple of trials
ants and scorpions are half-blind and deal pathetic damage. Diplomat can breathe through it.
You can raise it by 2 in RP, so 8 is good enough.
>tag small guns/lockpick/speech
It's actually better not to tag small guns at the start if you want to use gauss weapons later at full range
>have an intelligence above 3 or just uninstall the game
because idiot playthrough isn't great at all, right?
>especially with restoration project my followers become burgermeat every 5 seconds
your fault for not enabling direct control in RP
>LE EPIC POP CULTURE REFERENCES
at least something correct in your post

>>4239768
>The dialogue is awful in 1, the writing is incredibly wooden.
Pic related.
>>
>>4239776
>enable direct control
what
>>
>>4226807

The opinion that the world decisions should be dictated by but are not which is why fuck everyone
>>
>>4239762
That's fucking wrong and has always been, propagated by people with a superficial understanding of the game system - sure, Action Points make the world go round, but you don't fucking need 10 AP to beat up Scorpions or Rats, or to fend off a bunch of brutes with knives, spears and pistols.

The moment taxing fights start showing up, you will have easy access to Buffout and Psycho - Agility has TWO drugs that enhance the stat, and the biggest benefit from Agility is the AP gains (esp. if you take Kamikaze, which isn't a bad trait). Go further and you can stockpile on Jet Antidote to give yourself a reliable AP boost for storming Navarro and Enclave. Agility is overrated as fuck compared to Intelligence, Luck and Perception.

You can keep Agility as low as 4 if you insist. 6 is also a good value for non-Gifted characters. For low-combat characters, it can go even lower.

>tag small guns/lockpick/speech
Nah fuck that, Lockpick can be replaced with explosives and shooting locks, Speech is mostly just out-of-combat XP you can replace by just wandering the wastes more, and Small Guns is also replacable. With really high PE you can reliably (95%) hit targets with a Hunting or Sniper Rifle with not a single point of investment into Small Guns.

>>companions are fucking useless so being a diplomatic character is savescum city (especially with restoration project my followers become burgermeat every 5 seconds)

Which ones did you take? Davin and Mirra? Or K9 with his fucking power armor, Sulik with his 14 end-game AP and good Melee/Small Guns proficiency, Cassidy the best sniper in the game, Marcus with Turbo Plasma, Skynet? There's plenty of decent NPCs so even an ironman diplomat playthrough can sort through them.
>>
I have this annoying thing where Fallout 2 stops responding a lot during combat. This never happened in Fallout, and it's really stopping me from playing the worst Fallout game :(
>>
>>4239703
>see pic related
Okay, and?>>4239703
>that's like saying unarmed doesn't have a bad start
Unarmed does have an unsavory start, but nothing compared to FO1. Spiked Knuckles are still not terrible, neither is Haymaker, you can do alright with it, and Unarmed is still very valuable as a helpful skill for a couple of sidequests. On top of that, you can easily train it at various trainers, starting in Arroyo. Even if we assume Unarmed has a rough start, at least it starts high on all characters and is a nice option to preserve ammo against molerats and the like - which Spiked Knuckles dispatch with ease.
>and to do that you have to get out of chokepoint and leave yourself open
Not necessarily. Also, using certain doodads, knockback feature is actually helpful in making the enemy waste their AP in getting to you.
>Shoot Turbo Plasma twice - 2 corpses, get hit by the remaining ones-2
That's fantastic, problem is that Fallout combat is so deadly at high levels that it's not straight HP damage that kills you, but Enclave soldiers/supermutants scoring lucky instakill crits with their own heavy weaponry.
A single rocket launch costs less than two shots from a TPR, and you can still use your remaining action points to reposition. Not to mention that the same rocket launch does have a good chance of killing or incapacitating someone it hits.
>not if you hide around the corner and make them come at you
You just admitted recently how volatile burst weapons can be against the player. Why would I risk this?
>why even use a Sniper Rifle then if you can't avoid getting swarmed?
Because depending on where and how I start a random encounter I might not have the luxury to start 50 hexes away?
>but you're were just so adamant on getting Rocket Launcher earlier?
????? what?
>which you could of spent on something less gimmicky and not-only-occasionally useful. Like your primary weapon skill?
Fallout has plenty of skillpoints tho.
>>
>>4239703
>complaining about using exploits
>getting infinite money out of thin air is the same as getting people drunk to take advantage of them
Yeah, because coming up to a guard on duty and giving him 9 bottles of beer at the same time and then using his state to lift the Bozar off his back is not a problem at all.
>you can rely on getting 3x more damage every second shot on average which is slightly better than +5 damage
That +5 damage is added after every other damage calculation and, as such, adds up and makes a difference over longer fights. Certainly more than other +damage perks.
>>
>>4239891
>Which ones did you take?
Sulik, Vic, Cassidy, and Marcus.
I've been running into Kaga and they all die to his burst except for Marcus, and Marcus usually kills my other followers with his minugun. I haven't found any energy weapons yet and I can't afford a laser rifle in san
francisco.

On my first playthrough of F2 a few weeks ago I maxed agility and intelligence and used one hander trait with a crit build. I demolished everything in the game and never even used the companions, they are absolutely useless.
>>
>>4239760
The dynamics are simple but they work. This discussion is moot.
>>
>>4239913
>Okay, and?
this is how the bursting works. If you're point-blank, all bullets go into one hex in front of you. If it's not point-blank, they spread to 3 hexes more or less equally, slightly more bullets go to one you actually shoot, but that's it.
>at least it starts high on all characters
yeah, it's so high that if you don't tag it in the beginning you have about 45% to hit starting enemies in the temple and about 30% to hit starting geckos.
>making the enemy waste their AP in getting to you
they usually have enough to hit you once anyway. It makes more problems for you by not being able to finish them off.
>it's not straight HP damage that kills you
exactly, that's why you prioritise finishing the fuckers off, not knocking them away from you so they could stand up and crit you anyway.
>Why would I risk this?
risk what? You're behind the corner, they waste all their AP running next to you instead of shooting. Blaster by that time you have it costs 2/3 AP to fire and deals enough damage to kill all of them before they can do anything.
>I might not have the luxury to start 50 hexes away
protip: high PE affects the distance you start from the enemy in random encounters. When not in random battles, you're the one deciding how and from where you engage.
>????? what?
you said it's so easy to get rocket launcher fast which is a ranged Big Guns tool. Why would you need a Sniper Rifle then?
>Fallout has plenty of skillpoints tho.
it also has diminishing returns for skill development
>giving him 9 bottles of beer
It's not like getting people drunk and abusing this to get their shit is a thing in real life, not at all, good sir
>adds up and makes a difference over longer fights
Or you can take, I don't know, Better Criticals, Action Boy 1, Action Boy 2, Tag, Bonus Move, Gain, etc which would actually make more of a difference

>>4240001
>L-l-look, mommy, I sure showed them for trying to discuss a old videogame mechanics on a mongolian basket-weaving message board
>>
>>4239945
> I haven't found any energy weapons yet and I can't afford a laser rifle in san
francisco.
Just by running the massive errand questline between VC -- NCR -- New Reno you should have plenty of dosh from highwayman random encounters, entering bandit caves and shit like that.

Marcus should be taken off Minigun duty immediately if in a full party environment.

You can make Charismancer work in F2, it just requires a lot of investment and some amazing foresight to run all that well, and I'd still recommend using lots of combat drugs to make up for your shitty non-Charisma stats and helping lead assaults.

Also Vic kinda sucks until he is fully upgraded, get Skynet or even Lenny, who at least has a fuckton of HP. Marcus is a glass cannon because he can't wear armor unless you get him mutant armor from F2RP.

I'd say you should just keep updating your party's armor and make sure they are set to snipe and hold position.
>>
>>4240123
>this is how the bursting works. If you're point-blank, all bullets go into one hex in front of you. If it's not point-blank, they spread to 3 hexes more or less equally, slightly more bullets go to one you actually shoot, but that's it.
That appears to be completely not how it works in my experience. Even if it were, if you are firing a burst into a clump of enemies, it's still worth considering if you want to put most of the burst to the person closest to you, or if you're running for a multi-hit by hitting the person a fair distance from you, hoping characters catch some of the bullets.
>yeah, it's so high that if you don't tag it in the beginning you have about 45% to hit starting enemies in the temple and about 30% to hit starting geckos.
This sounds like some Gifted / Good Natured exaggeration. I have no problems hitting starting ants with untagged Unarmed.
>they usually have enough to hit you once anyway. It makes more problems for you by not being able to finish them off.
Depends on the enemy. I've done plenty of tactical dancing around corners to deplete enemy AP. Knockback weapons were always a boon for those. Besides, a few moments later you post:
>risk what? You're behind the corner, they waste all their AP running next to you instead of shooting
Which is exactly my point.
>exactly, that's why you prioritise finishing the fuckers off, not knocking them away from you so they could stand up and crit you anyway.
What if you can't finish them all off in one run? Will you risk taking crits from the remaining enemies? Isn't firing a dispersing rocket and running away behind a corner a more lofty proposition?
>you said it's so easy to get rocket launcher fast which is a ranged Big Guns tool. Why would you need a Sniper Rifle then?
Because it's an easy to use (even for low Small Guns users) weapon with commonplace ammo that I can use to dispatch lesser threats and which happens to pair well with Flamer for its close quarters capability?
>>
>>4240123
>it also has diminishing returns for skill development
Not until you get around 91% points in a given skill, which I argue to be sufficient for recreational grenade usage. Pulse Grenades make encounters like the robot in Toxic Caves or Navarro guns easier. Plasma Grenades can be a fun solution to deal with low-armored swarms. It's not an optimal option, but if you insist on trying it out, it works. I wouldn't be so adamant on defending something utterly indefensible, and some other RPGs do offer absolutely abhorrent item/combat options in comparison.
>getting people drunk and abusing them
Well, lucky success stories of people winning big in casinos are also a thing that happens, but we believe that someone lucky and good at gambling shouldn't have the ability to make a fortune with enough persistence. I think we're going into a very subjective territory.
>Or you can take, I don't know, Better Criticals, Action Boy 1, Action Boy 2, Tag, Bonus Move, Gain, etc which would actually make more of a difference
They very well might, yeah. I wouldn't say Gain would due to combat drugs nullifying need for it and I still would say Living Anatomy is one of the better Fallout perks.
>>
>>4240140
>running for a multi-hit
But why would you when 1 Dead > 3 Injured. Unless you have Sniper, at which point you win by default anyway
>sounds like some Gifted exaggeration
because picking Gifted is such a rare occurrence
>a few moments later you post
there is a difference between "stand up and shoot whoever dropped me on my ass" and "stand up and waste all my AP running after him around the corner"
>Isn't firing a dispersing rocket and running away behind a corner a more lofty proposition?
Or you can shoot one of them to death assuredly rather then injure many and then hide around the corner anyway
>Because it's an easy to use
Both have Weapon Long Range
>I can use to dispatch lesser threats
Shouldn't you be able to do it with your favorite multihits and tactical dancing to blow them all at once without carrying ammo for multiple weapons?
>I argue to be sufficient for recreational grenade usage
Meant your main weapon skill. When you want to grind your skill so that you can kill everything at max range of the preferred weapon, every point counts, and it gets real expensive later on
>very subjective territory
Get someone drunk and steal their vallet - unthinkable
Gamble non-stop until you're the richest person in Solar System without even any time passing - happens all the time
>one of the better Fallout perks
true, but that's not saying much
>>
>>4240183
>But why would you when 1 Dead > 3 Injured. Unless you have Sniper, at which point you win by default anyway
What if you end up with 4 Dead all at once, which is not unlikely at all? Before you get Sniper, not even Better Criticals eyeshots are a 100% guarantee of a clean kill. You can gain access to serious heavy weaponry before you even lick the Sniper perk, too.
>because picking Gifted is such a rare occurrence
I wrote Gifted / Good Natured, which really sucks the power out of your combat skills and is still not an unlikely combo. Even then, the ToT is merely a matter of minimal patience for most characters. Right after you get out, you get plenty of training from Arroyo villagers, John Sullivan, and further.
>Both have Weapon Long Range
And one is available earlier and there's no reason not to use it to make use of all the plentiful .223 FMJ ammo.
>Or you can shoot one of them to death assuredly rather then injure many and then hide around the corner anyway
Or they can all waste time coming to me and get hit by a second salve and die faster with less risk.
>Shouldn't you be able to do it with your favorite multihits and tactical dancing to blow them all at once without carrying ammo for multiple weapons?
Sure, but why not use multiple weapons if its fun, efficient, and safe?
>Meant your main weapon skill. When you want to grind your skill so that you can kill everything at max range of the preferred weapon, every point counts, and it gets real expensive later on
Meh, high PE can easily make up for weapon skill (and vice versa).
>Get someone drunk and steal their vallet - unthinkable
I also lug around lots of beer to give to strangers in a suspicious dog-eat-dog world and they immediately accept and drink it all on the spot.
>one of the better Fallout perks
Generally agreed upon as one of the "core" perks that fit most builds, so yeah. I ain't arguing for Silent Death or something here.
>>
>>4240256
Please God. Turn me into a bird. So I can fly away. Far far away from this thread.
>>
>>4240356
SHUT THE FUCK UP, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RPG SYSTEMS
>>
>>4240528
You sound triggered. Are you a brownish student at an american uni?
>>
>>4240857
no, I am Infinitron
>>
I kind of preferred the pre-war world from FO1/FO2, when it was less "Leave It To Beaver... with ROBOTS!" and more of a vague, Art Deco dystopia.
>>
>>4236543
Go fuck urself, Tod,
>>
>>4239826
he's saying use a mod to fix the game, admitting that the game is actually the start of the downfall of Fallout
>>
>>4239768
>vastly improved graphics, first person POV and free-roaming
Kek.
>>
>>4240869
So a bat shit crazy brownish student at an American uni?
>>
>>4242689
I bet he's a Dreamer.
>>
How do you have sex with the girl in Modoc?
>>
>>4243557
>How do you have sex with the girl in Modoc?
Have high Charisma
>>
>>4226729
Fallout was the spiritual successor to Wasteland. Give it a try.
>>
>>4237356
>Victory in battle based on gear, skills and luck

Never in my life! The audacity of these devs. Every enemy encounter needs to be a chess game that I can always overcome with sheer wit.
>>
>>4243793
Wasteland has to be shit if Wasteland 2 was better (according to Wasteland fans). Wasteland 2 is pure garbage.
>>
>>4226843
Would you rather he said the opposite so we could all yell at him?
>>
>>4237338
I think I like the first game most, but had New Vegas been given a longer development period it probably would be the best.
>>
>>4244013
It's a her.
>>
>>4240123
You are fruitlessly discussing merit of a RPG based solely on its simplistic combat system.
>>
File: my fave fallout 2 build.png (774KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
my fave fallout 2 build.png
774KB, 1360x768px
Fallout 1 is a good game but Fallout 2 is the best H-Game of all time.
>>
>>4244024
Right on, same anon here. I finished 2 last night and it was awesome.
I have to say i liked 2 more but it would be stupid no to play both, its a shared story imho.

10/10 would travel back in time and slap my younger self for not playing trough this masterpice.

Gonna try 3 but ill give it a few days so not to rush things.
>>
>>4244490
3 sucks ass and has nothing to do with the original 2 games. It's basically a "soft reboot", aka "we're technically in the same universe because we say so, look at all these things you recognize from [franchise] that are taken entirely out of context and lazily copypasted across to the other end of the continent simply because of how you would recognize them!"

New Vegas and 4 suck ass as well, the gameplay in the nu-Fallout games is all horseshit sandbox pick up the junk simulator but New Vegas is at least playable from a roleplaying and story perspective and Obsidian (a lot of ex-Black Isle dudes from Fallout 2) actually attempted to make it fit with the franchise and it's basically a Fallout 1/2 sequel with Fallout 3 gameplay.

Fallout 3 is actually so bad it's not even funny. The story/plot development/characters is literally Fallout Brotherhood of Steel tier and I've actually played FoBoS.
>>
>>4226729
>has anyone played fallout from 1997
About 60000 people before fallout 3 was announced
>>
Fallout 1 > 2, anyone that disagrees is probably just butthurt over the waterchip time limit.
>>
>>4245582
/thread
>>
>>4244979
Yeah i already knew some of this but still i want to try all the games for my self first than start bashing them without some basis.

Im more exited for NV because like you said its more of a sequel of 1 and 2 than the other ones.

>>4245964
>>4245582
First play trough never had that problem i even got 100 more days with the water merchants and didn't use a walk trough.

But yeah now that i have just finished both games i cant see them as separated entities. both are one coherent story and deserve to be played back to back imho.
>>
File: 497.jpg (32KB, 600x942px) Image search: [Google]
497.jpg
32KB, 600x942px
>>4244284
>Fallout 2 not only allows you to sleep your way through the Wasteland, but actually has a Sex Formula that determines how good you're at it >Characters actually comment on your performance
>>
>>4245582
Fallout 1 is good but it's so light on gameplay content. The story and setting is better but that's about it.

Fallout 2 refines the gameplay a lot, companion system gets fully fleshed out with a lot of modification you can do to your companions (armor, weapons, combat styles, distance, when to use stims/drugs, etc.), there's a shitload more locations, quests (and mods that add even more extra/restored content), way more armors and weapons. The story and setting itself is no slouch either even compared to 1, a lot of the characters are way more fleshed out than some you'd find in 1, even though it has a few too many references that seem to crawl up people's asses, but if you shake that off it's the better game.
>>
>>4246531
It would have been better with full control over your party members.
>>
>>4246531
On the other hand, all fights in Fallout 1 are plot-relevant. And they usually have believeable amounts of enemies. And there aren't cave random encounters with 30 radscorpions/geckos/deathclaws.
Meanwhile in Fallout 2 every other fight you have to sit for a minute just waiting until AI's turn will end already so you can do something again. Only for 7th enemy crit you for 149 damage, forcing you to reload and sit through this shit again.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.