[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PAL 60Hz CRT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: nes-zapper-nintendo-vs.png (335KB, 800x519px) Image search: [Google]
nes-zapper-nintendo-vs.png
335KB, 800x519px
So I have an NTSC NES and would like to play lightgun games which requires an NTSC TV. My question is, if NTSC runs at 60Hz could I buy a PAL 60Hz CRT and be able to use it without the games showing in black and white?

I live in the UK so an NTSC CRT would cost an stupid amount to get but if I could pick up a 60Hz PAL CRT and it work perfectly for my American consoles that'd save me a lot of time and money.

If it wouldn't work is there any other way of hooking an NTSC NES to a PAL CRT without the screen going black and white or just generally spazzing out?

Thanks for any help.
>>
>>4226695
NTSC and PAL refer to colour formats. If you feed NTSC Composite or S-Video into a PAL TV, the PAL TV won't understand the NTSC colour and you'll just get a black and white image. If you're feeding it RGB, the colour format doesn't matter and it'll show up on any CRT that can sync to 525/60 (most PAL models from the 90s and 00s will do this), then yeah.

For the NES, you're gonna have to mod it for RGB.
>>
>>4226695
>could I buy a PAL 60Hz CRT and be able to use it without the games showing in black and white?
My guess would be no, but I don't know anything and am only going off the info you yourself provided
>>
In the US, some 2000s CRTs are NTSC/PAL I guess because it was cheaper to just make one board?At any rate, just do some shopping on your version of craigslist and look up the technical specifications or just buy a PVM
>>
>lightguns don't work on PAL TV's
What? Why the fuck not? I thought they worked on the location of the beam on the line, not on the number of lines. What is the reason behind this shit?
>>
>>4226703
Oh ok I had no idea I thought it only referred to the Hz but that's very useful to know, thank you :)

>>4226725
I'm sorry I should have proof read what I wrote before posting I meant
>which requires a CRT TV.
It's like 12:50 am here so I'm absolutely shattered haha.
>>
>>4226695
I don't see why not, plenty of brits back in the day were able to get US SNES consoles displaying on 'modern' TV's so long as they used a SCART cable.

A bigger issue is the power supply. You'd need a step-down converter for that NTSC NES right?
>>
>>4226719
That's good to hear, maybe with a bit more research there is some hope? I just don't wanna pay £100 for postage of a £20 TV so buying from the UK would be so much better.
>>
>>4226735
For some reason my Sega Mega Drive power pack works perfectly, but I guess SCART would be worth trying. Thank you for the suggestion :)
>>
>>4226732
Oh, alright then. I thought the EU got screwed yet again, like how they released all those Saturn games that support the Mouse, but not the Mouse itself.
>>
Out of about ten PAL CRTs I've had in my possession over the past 20 years I've only had two that couldn't handle a native NTSC signal. One was an ancient contraption from the early days of colour TV while the other was some ridiculously cheap Bush portable from the early 00s. The others span from around late 70s onwards. I've had good luck with this stuff, but it seems like a case by case thing. YMMV.
>>
>>4226725
prolly the timing in regards to the refresh rate

location is determined by blanking the screen, then displaying white rectangles on targets. the flash time varies for each target, that's how the console determines which target you hit. if the timing is off, then the console might not be able to determine what you aimed at
>>
If you're interested in PVMs then all of them are capable of PAL and NTSC. I have one from the 80s and it can even display PAL60 with a few twists of the V-Hold knob despite that not being a thing in the 80s, PRAISE ANALOGUE.

That said most consumer CRTs in the UK from the 90s and all from the 2000s should be able to display NTSC too in my experience.

Also do you really want to have to use a stepdown convertor for the TV? Consoles are easy since you can just use a native DC plug to feed the right voltage but TVs plug straight into the AC wall sockets. A NTSC tv unless bought from Hong Kong or something is going to be a 100~110v AC system.
>>
>>4226746
This was what I sort of expected. From a quick browsing of British forums I'm inclined to think that practically any Trinitron even from the 90s should display NTSC just fine.
>>
>>4226746
That's good to hear, was that typically with just a composite output to the TV? Or another connection like SCART?

>>4226773
I didn't think of it like that having to by a stepdown to actually even plug the thing in. I'm so glad you even mentioned that as, for some stupid reason, I never even thought of it.

>>4226785
Oh that's good to hear, what sort of forums were you looking at out of curiosity? I had a scan across some sites but nothing outright said NTSC would display on PAL.
>>
>>4226732
It's a common misconception. They're often coupled together, because most regions use either NTSC colour + 525 lines @ 60hz or PAL colour + 625 lines @ 50hz.

Brazil used PAL colour, but 525 lines @ 60hz, so that's probably why 90s/00s PAL TVs support both refresh rates.
>>
>>4226695
What no go zone do you live in that's so 3rd world you don't have multi system TVs with scart?
>>
Most TVs will display NTSC fine. I use an NTSC NES and both of my CRTs display it fine with composite.
>>
>>4226836
Brazil's PAL-M is also not the same as PAL 60Hz as used on later game consoles, PAL M uses the same 3.58MHz colour carrier as NTSC, PAL 60 uses 4.43MHz. Doesn't matter if using RGB or YPbPr, but if using composite/S-Video/RF will result in black and white if the TV doesn't support it.
>>
>>4226695
Any decent PAL territory TV manufactured in the 21'st century will have full NTSC support. Even a noisy piece of shit LG. (don't buy LG)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.