[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why werent there more games like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: blastcorps.jpg (3MB, 2096x1534px) Image search: [Google]
blastcorps.jpg
3MB, 2096x1534px
Ill admit that Blast Corps overall isnt a great game. The graphics are horrendous and the camera is fucking terrible alot of the time. The concept is cool and original though. If they improved on the format, they could have had a solid series. Why didnt it ever take off?
>>
>>4225242
>The graphics are horrendous
What was it like being born in 1999?
>>
So you want games to be original, but you also want publishers to turn them into franchises?
>>
>>4225256
This game came out several months after Super Mario 64. Maybe its just the camera view that makes it look crappy alot of the time, but there were 3d games before this that looked alot better.
>>
>>4225267
It had potential that wasnt reached though. Thats what im saying.
>>
>>4225271
>there were 3d games before this that looked alot better.
Yeah but Mario 64 was one of the best looking games at the time. Looking a bit worse than that game isn't making it "horrendous". The psuedo bump-mapping and reflection mapping on the vehicles was genuinely impressive.
>>
>>4225242
>The graphics are horrendous

here's where your opinion lost all credibly. Blast Corps is awesome, but you're an idiot.
>>
>>4225242
Overall it is a great game. You have to play it through to the end and unlock everything. The ultimate core of the game is to get fast times on every level, and to be awarded the platinum medal for every level. I remember this being freaking hard to do, but I did it and it was one of my proudest videogame achievements.

As for the graphics and camera. The graphics are actually amazing. Spend more time with the game and learn how to manipulate the camera. The textures are actually quite high-res compared to the average N64 game, and remember, this came out early in the N64 lifespan.

Also the music is unbelievably awesome.

You're asking why there aren't more games like this. You could broadly compare it to something like Body Harvest of Space Station Silicon Valley.... but it's basically a one of a kind game. That's a good thing. It doesn't need to be milked ad infinitum, just let it stand on its own as an amazing one off game.
>>
>>4225271
>This game came out several months after Super Mario 64

You do realize that games take 8+ months to develop, right? They can't just instantly re-work their entire game as soon as another one releases.
>>
>>4225271
Blast Corps does look better then Mario64 though. The textures are more high res.
>>
>>4225502
It looks better than most 3D games from the time, because it's top down and buildings are easy to draw with polygons
>>
>>4225242
Loved renting this game as a kid and even started playing it again about a week ago. It's still just as fun as back then, even more so since I don't suck so bad. Even today it's still an extremely unique game that is difficult to compare to anything else. Another example of Rare in their finest form.
>>
As somebody who was actually alive when this game came out, no, the graphics were awesome for the time, especially the explosions.
>>
It was a pretty novel concept and I am surprised we don't have more games of this type.

I don't remember thinking the graphics were awful or anything. I was busy being amazed by the robots designs and bored by the regular cars.

I liked the game very much and was looking foward to ace levels as much as I could but I just couldn't deal with the Backlash levels (the dump truck)
>>
>Why aren't there more of games like this one over here that sold like a box of old mayo?
>>
I still have my copy of this game, still play it every once in a while. I always felt Rare's unknown games were better than the big name ones.

I don't ever feel like playing banjo kazooie or donkey kong 64 ever again, but i always pull out this and Jet Force Gemini and have a great time all over again.
>>
Only flaw I can think of is not including an option to erase save data. The manual told you in tiny letters to boot the game while holding Z or something to erase your saves but I completely overlooked that for years.
>>
>>4226375

If you used a memory card, it gave you 4 save files to delete and restart whenever
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.