[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Wars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Image_9.jpg (299KB, 971x964px) Image search: [Google]
Image_9.jpg
299KB, 971x964px
Can we get a retro Star Wars thread going? I've been playing Dark Forces lately and it's fun as fuck.
>>
>>4224837
I have a copy of Shadows of the empire that came with my N64 that I haven't touched. Should I?
>>
>>4224837
My fav. might be TIE Fighter. Loved that game. Got me into X-Wing minis game too. Fuck I miss old Lucasarts.
>>
Indeed, is very good.

Stages are hard as fuck tho.
>>
>>4224837
I have mega nostalgia for Jedi Knight. Go back and play it every once in a while, but it frustrates me that I can't find all the secrets on my own
>>
>>4224848

>TIE Fighter

Patrician taste my friend. I remember the first time I played it was the demo that came on a 3 1/2 floppy disc and had this Dodge Neon advertisement attached to it.

Shit was fucking cash.

So many of those games are still great. Hell I even loved playing Rebellion and that fucker was a long as slog through resource management and building giant fleets to hate fuck enemy systems with.
>>
>>4224837
I still need to beat this so I can go through the whole series in order since I found that my PC can run them all fine, though I've already played the hell out of Jedi Academy on the Xbox.

Anybody else play Star Wars Chess or Desktop adventures? Those were great back on my aunt's PC when I'd go over to her house.
>>
>>4224846
Nah. Get Rogue Squadron insted
>>
>>4224846

Great game once you get over the controls. Start it on the easy difficult for a better experience.
>>
>>4224837

wait until you get to play dark forces 2. It's amazing.
>>
>>4224934
I already own shadows of the empire, maybe I'll check that out one day
>>4224946
Will do, just gotta finish perfect Dark first
>>
>>4224846
The Ord Mantell stage is a nightmare with the controls but otherwise it's an ok game.
>>
Dark Force is really good, but Jedi Knight is a masterpiece. Both in terms of "FPS" design and "Star Wars game".

You have to remind yourself that it was made at a time when full 3D FPS were still a new thing. And I do mean "remind", the 3D level design is so good, you tend to forget it's an early game.
>>
File: [I WARNED YOU].png (41KB, 640x397px) Image search: [Google]
[I WARNED YOU].png
41KB, 640x397px
[TRIGGER WARNING]
Open at your own risk.
>>
>>4226023
>the 3D level design is so good, you tend to forget it's an early game
Nah, it's way too simplistic, has secrets easier than in Heretic 1, uses drops of no returns way too much (which is infuriating when trying to get that extra star), uses "cinematic" sequences of being blown through something or other even more, and is so easily breakable using powers it isn't even funny. And there are some absolute shit levels like that rooftop one, or that copypasted stormtrooper base one. Besides, there are two kinds of secrets in this game, "official" ones, that are included in the "secrets" counter (they don't require any powers in order to be reached), "unofficial" ones (require powers, but don't count into the counter). Both are underutilized (because having "unofficial" secrets that are smarter than "official" ones means devaluing sense of achievement of the player who manages to find them).
>>
>>4226290
And by "simplistic" I mean "Just try to compare this game's 'Barons Hed' to something like Redneck Rampage's 'Downtown Hickston'."
>>
>>4226290
>Both are underutilized (BOTH because having "unofficial" secrets that are smarter than "official" ones means devaluing sense of achievement of the player who manages to find them AND because a lot of "official" secrets can be reached much easier if one uses the powers after all).
>>
I recently played through Dark forces and I was kind of disappointed. The good shit was that it had an actual story and like all Lucas arts games it had good music. But weapons and enemies where bland as fuck. Maps are a mixed bag really
>>
>>4224846
>>4225057
I found it was easier to play when using the first person camera perspective, including platforming. Can't remember if that was the default or not though.
>>
File: Nick Happy Thoughts.jpg (18KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
Nick Happy Thoughts.jpg
18KB, 343x343px
>running while Force Speed active
>>
>>4226314
Try Dark Forces 2.
>>
rebellion was a massive disappointment. the box art was awesome and the game was like wtf is this shit. I wanted some age of empires star wars style
>>
>>4229910
you want galatic battle grounds. it is literally age of empires
>>
>>4229929
ya but that came out after
>>
File: image9g.jpg (92KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
image9g.jpg
92KB, 540x405px
>>4229910

Slightly not retro, but Galactic Battlegrounds is literally an Age of Empires 2 reskin.
>>
Is the racer a legit great game that can compete with mk64 and dkr?
>>
>>4229947
I don't know if I'd say it competes with those, but I wouldn't call it a bad game either. As far as racers go you could do much worse.
>>
Which Dark Forces game is your fave, bros?

Mine is Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy.
>>
>>4226013
Played the PC port not too long ago, and despite it being a bit too fast and the very awkward controls, didn't have problems with Ord Mantell, it was pretty easy. The level after it, on the canyon, was a nightmare, though.
>>
>>4224848
>Got me into X-Wing minis game too
My nigga! My love of X-Wing an TIE Fighter got me into the miniatures game and shit is so much fun.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.