[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did this disc ruin any hope you had for FFVIII?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

Did this disc ruin any hope you had for FFVIII?
>>
>>4224638
I wonder how many went into Disc 1 thinking it was a direct sequel to FFVII
>>
This meme needs to spot.

FFVIII is good period.
>>
File: 1503766196810.png (77KB, 500x485px) Image search: [Google]
1503766196810.png
77KB, 500x485px
>>4224649
>needs to spot
>FFVIII, good
>>
>>4224649
>Opinions with which I disagree are memes.
>>
Nope. I enjoyed the whole story/game. 7 and 9 are better, but it's still a good game.
>>
>>4224638
Nah the first disc did.
>>
>>4224668
>>
>>4224638
No, My hopes were dashed about an hour into the game once I realized what an unlikable twit Squall was.
>>
>>4224649
>needs to spot
For a second I thought this was some expression instead of a typo
>>
>Borrow disc one from friend who was done with it
>"Oh man FF7 was so great! I can't wait to see how great this one is!"
>Finish Disc One
>"That was it?!?!?! This game fucking blows!!!"
>Thankfully buy FF9 anyway which I enjoyed and never even attempt to finish FF8 or try again

Fuck FF8. Biggest disappointment ever.
>>
>>4225004
>how to spot a plebe
>>
>>4224647
I know I didn't, I grew up playing the first 6, given that they never did a sequel for any previous titles at that time, I pretty much figured it was a stand alone game
>>
>>4225052
Wtf there were 6 games before FFVII?
>>
>>4224654

You're one of those kids that claim FF8 is bad because the internet told you it was, aren't you?

A good majority of you only think it's bad because you're easily influenced by what you see on the internet. You also must not play many JRPGs because FF8 still remains superior to most modern day JRPGs, if not, all of them.

And yes, it is a meme. It is just about as accurate as spouting PS3 has no games in 2017.
>>
>>4225028
Nice try.
>>
>>4225113
>CRAAAAWLING INNNN MY SKIIINNNNN
>>
I don't care. FF games were comfy and fun. Despite their flaws, I enjoyed them and I hate people who try to ruin them without placing them into the context of late 1990s.
>>
>>4224638
No. I held on to a dim, vain hope that the game would somehow improve almost right up until the end.
>>
File: 1479797138595.gif (804KB, 448x256px) Image search: [Google]
1479797138595.gif
804KB, 448x256px
Disc 2 has always been my favourite disc in the game.

It has all the coolest moments

>Prison
>Missile Base
>Garden University riot
>drifting away at sea with the garden, love stories with Squall & Riona, but also Zell
>Fisherman Horizon's, and its mayor who has the solution to the entire conflict but nobody listens to him
>starting to explode the world with the garden and finding new cool stuff, and you can find some really cool stuff
>The huge fight between all 2 flying Gardens
>>
I loved 7 and 9

The thing is, I never played more than 5 hours of this game. Some of my friends comment on how I shouldn't subject myself to this, that they don't wish to inflict this pain upon me, that I should instead stare at walls to get a better experience.

However, is it -that- bad? Or just irrational?
>>
>>4225113
Nah,back in the ps2 days i had a friend who was super into final fantasy and even then it was one of the two games not to be named, next to II.
And yes, he liked XII as well as dirge of cerberus.
>>
>>4225229
just look up guides for the battle system and you should be fine.
>>
File: 1449998715331.jpg (11KB, 364x329px) Image search: [Google]
1449998715331.jpg
11KB, 364x329px
Is it just me or does something about disc 2 being the bad one meme just not add up?

The first disc is pretty good and even some FF8 haters have admitted that it is some of the best shit in the entire series.

Apart from the first half of disc 2 being somewhat boring gameplaywise there really isn't anything that wrong with it storywise. For example the GF amnesia thing is constantly foreshadowed during the entire game up to the point it is brought up and even the Gardens becoming airborne is also explained in the info-corner section. And let's not forget that the 2nd disc end up with a bang with the epic battle of Gardens.

Now if you guys want to nitpick about things not making sense people maybe you guys should look at the disc 3 instead:
>Squall goes from being indifferent towards Rinoa to suddenly caring about her so much that he completely ignores all his duties and responsibilities to run off with her in hopes of finding a cure for her being a vegetable which strongly contrasts with his character and the character development he got during the first 2 discs.
>Oh look, there is a random hatch in middle of air here that happens to leads to some random futuristic city here!
>Oh look, random flying pillar shaped building just appeared from somewhere!
>Oh look, some monsters from the moon suddenly decide to fly all the way up from the moon to that random pillar shaped building!
>Meanwhile Squall makes an incredibly retarded decision to jump in middle of space to rescue Rinoa just to find out both of them are running out of oxygen.
>Oh never mind, a random spaceship that is full of breathable air and perfectly functional despite being abandoned in space for decade with all system on conveniently appeared right next to us!

Also what about disc 4 and TIME KOMPRESSION conveniently putting various plot-elements under the rug instead of going anywhere with them?
>>
>>4225263
All the shit you have in your greentext is explained in the game.
>>
>>4224638
posting the GOAT disc
>>
>>4225113
Nope, he's just someone who knows the difference between opinions and facts. You, however, are a child.
>>
>>4224647
Only newfags would. Even if you're just looking at the US releases, every FF game had a brand new story completely unrelated to the previous one.
>>
>>4225418
When I first got into the Final Fantasy series, I bought VII as VIII came out and rented the latter. I thought that the balamb garden resembled midgar and wondered if there was any relation between the two.

But fuck me I loved the intro to FFVIII. I really don't know what I liked so much about it.
>>
>>4225230
XII is good what are you implying
>>
>>4225190

>
>
>
>
>starting to explore the world with the garden adn finding new cool stuff
>

Yeah that was pretty much it for me in Disc 2.

Disc 3 is where the game gets exciting for me

>Journey to Esthar
>Journey to space
>Lunatic Pandora split
>Getting the Ragnorak
>Fully exploring the world, and all the secrets
>>
>>4224649
It's hilarious how broken it is. I'm convinced the level scaling was put in just to mititgate it.
>>
>>4224787
It's hard to play through rpgs with a shit hero. Looking at you Fei and Zidane.
>>
>>4225230
Dirge of cerburas is 100% Nomura wank. We should've all heeded it as a warning.
>>
>>4225230
>the internet influences opinions
>>nah, back in the PS2 days before the internet...
...when did you think the internet was created?
>>
>>4226028

Literally every FF game is breakable. Why do we even have these dumb arguments?
>>
>>4226041
Usually only true with end game or nearly end game. Ff8 is broken from the getgo. You can get the second best weapon before you even leave the starter island.
>>
>>4226058
>Usually only true with end game or nearly end game

Oh shit, nigger. Go back and re-play literally any FF game before you post again.

>FF1
Black belt starts breaking shit long before the end-game.
>FF2
Start leveling Toad, Mini, Doom or any other instant-KO spell. Level 5 should do the trick. Bam, now you have a mass-enemy nuke that costs only a few MP to use. Alternatively, start grinding evasion or learn to abuse the Blink spell.
>FF3
Your party consists of ambidextrous quadruplets who can dual-wield right off the bat. Fighting classes gain a lot of hits when you start grinding their skill levels. Spend a little extra time on the thief and he'll be dishing out dozens of hits in no time.
>FF4
Okay, this one is admittedly more balanced than most games in the series. I'm not presently aware of any strategies for breaking the game early on. Anyone else care to comment?
>FF5
Provided you're willing to grind, there's nothing stopping you from mastering early classes and abusing such potent abilities as dualcast and gil toss. Gil toss especially.
>FF6
Magic. Enough said. Edgar also gets some of his more broken tools early on.
>FF7
The multitude of ways you can link materia for support, added effects or counterattacks. Just give Cloud cover + counter + counter + counter etc. Enemy skills are also very potent, especially Beta.
>FF8
If you don't break things through card mod + junctioning, limit break spam is still an issue. And if you don't go out of your way to do disc 1 Lion Heart, you can easily abuse Quistis' Degenerator limit. It'll KO practically anything.
>FF9
Because character-specific skills often base their damage formulas on things mini games or arbitrary values like the number of times you've stolen from enemies, it's not difficult to have characters at initial level able to hit the damage cap. Enemy skills are also easily abused, especially Level 5 Death.
>>
>>4225113
>You're one of those kids that claim FF8 is bad because the internet told you it was, aren't you?
holy shit how underage are you
the majority of people were disappointed in 1999 and not many used the internet to exchange opinions about games.
because you read the aftermath decades later doesn't mean everybody else did
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (158KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
158KB, 1280x720px
It's mainly the prison that's stupid, which is bad considering that's the first thing you do.

• Moombas, which are explained later satisfactorily but really break your immersion here
• Asinine deus ex machina shit to get them out of their cells and get their weapons back
• Retarded Squall/Seifer conflict
• Layout that's a drag to manage even if you know exactly what you're doing
>>
File: 31-ff_post17_anim1.gif (453KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
31-ff_post17_anim1.gif
453KB, 768x672px
>>4226098
>FF1
It's a lot more broken than that. Fighters and red mages are simply unparalleled. Thanks to INT spell influence not even being programmed into the game, red mages use spells just as effectively as any magic class.

>FF2
Being coded by the same programmer as FF1, there are just as many critical bugs. For example, the WALL spell actually removes its target's resistances rather than bolstering them. You can use this trick to turn the final boss into a toad.
>>
>>4226098
Oh god I forgot how broken 2 was.
>>
>>4226098
To be fair FF7 makes you wait a good while before you can abuse materia combos thanks to weapon slotting. Of course your characters are basically defined by their materia which kinda kills it for me.
>>
>>4226098
In the famicom version of FF3, job levels don't affect performance in battle whatsoever. The protect spell breaks the game once you learn you can stack it, though.
>>
>>4226167
>thanks to weapon slotting

You can get some pretty powerful weapons early on, such as an 8-slot weapon for Vincent. If you want to go out of your way to do so, Aerith's ultimate weapon isn't that difficult to obtain early into the game. (And why would you even wait to obtain it?)
>>
>>4226181
>In the famicom version of FF3, job levels don't affect performance in battle whatsoever

Characters get additional hits for whatever reason, whether skill level or experience level. The thief progressively gains an insane amount of them.
>>
File: 80395623168.jpg (85KB, 625x470px) Image search: [Google]
80395623168.jpg
85KB, 625x470px
>>4224638
>I never got to disk 2
>I always ended up with two disk 4s or two disk 1s
owned four different coppies, happened to every one of them
fucking poorfag friends swapping them out on sleepovers most like

I'll get around to actually finishing it one day
>>
>>4225113
>A good majority of you only think it's bad because you're easily influenced by what you see on the internet. You also must not play many JRPGs because FF8 still remains superior to most modern day JRPGs, if not, all of them.
Is this pasta?
>>
>>4226146
and that is why you don't want a poo in loo to code your games
>>
File: 215551275_9NAXE-L-2.jpg (170KB, 800x515px) Image search: [Google]
215551275_9NAXE-L-2.jpg
170KB, 800x515px
>>4225515
that it's not good, duh
>>
>>4226239
Yes, characters get more hits as they increase their experience level, not job/skill level. This is visible on the status screen. The only time the thief is ever able to outdamage the other classes is around the time of Goldor's Mansion, when some great thief equipment becomes available, since that dungeon is themed around the use of thieves. They get outclassed later on in terms of damage, although I like using a thief during the endgame for their ability to run away from fights.

I've never played the remake so I'm not sure how much they messed up the balancing, but in the famicom version extra hits are fairly balanced. The only broken strategies I'm aware of are protect stacking and solo dragoon jumping with the blood lance.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.