[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one do you prefer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>spending hours talking to NPC and explore areas to find out how to advance the story. In the meantime, found a sidequest .

>Go straight to mission markers show on the map. And also you have all the list of main quest and sidequests.
>>
option number 1
>>
>>4223994
But its close to non-existent today. I wonder why everything is so convenient these day that i takes the enjoyment out of it.
>>
>>4224001
lol the bitching never ever stops around here
>>
Middle term between both. You could just lookup a faq if you get stuck.
>>
>>4224009
Not bitching. I finally figured out why i had better experience playing games long time ago, compared to games today.
>>
>>4224018
Don't try so hard to fit in, kiddo.
>>
Might and Magic might be for you, there's a huge ass over world and no fucking clue where you have to go next.
>>
>>4223992
Option 1, but only if the exploring is fun and not tedious.
>>
>>4224023
Not OP but I tried might and magic 2 on the megadrive the other day. Got killed by a snake in the first town within the first 5 minutes.
>>
>>4223992
>mission markers
There should be a law desu
>>
>>4224034
Genesis was the king of ports of western rpgs for some reason.
>>
>>4223992
I like markers to show where to go, but I explore everywhere else and go there last. So a combination I guess.
>>
I don't even like RPGs anymore and getting lost like a retard is precisely why I stopped liking them.
>>
>>4224065
>like a retard
Hmmmmmmmmm
>>
>make it clear where you're supposed to go but still have sidequests
This is the best option. Nobody like trying to find that one mystery NPC to trigger a flag that makes an item appear somewhere else entirely.
>>
>>4224125
In some games, like FFVi, the place is always there but there is NPC that gives you hint about place. It always happened to me that npc told me about places tbat i already went.
>>
I find myself doing option 2 more and more these days. I just dont have the time to dump hours and hours into games anymore. Yeah it takes some of the fun out of it but its either that or dont play.

I really need to trim down and focus on one type of game i like most.
>>
>>4224146
This is the boat I'm in. It used to be that I could keep up with all the games I wanted to play, but those days are long gone. There's so much coming out on top of old stuff I haven't gotten to yet and new translations popping up. It's so hard to find the time to play everything I would like to.
>>
>>4223992
I didn't figure out Mobius Desert on my own. It felt like random chance so I didn't feel like wasting much time on it. I had friends with the game who were a bunch of casuals that had already looked up what to do and they ended up telling me the pattern. Apart from that I managed to get to the end of the game on my own, including all the parts where you have to find one obscure location to advance the story.

The post-game in the Euro version is another matter entirely. Either find all the hidden weapons scattered all over the world that only appear when certain unknowable conditions are fulfilled and in an extremely precise order all before the normal ending or spend years of your life searching for them in the near endless underground circuit board maze system in order to face the real final boss.

So yeah, I don't have much patience for games that plunge you in the middle of nowhere completely naked and expect you to figure out everything on your own.
>>
>>4224010
This, I hate mission markers but I like having the option to look up a guide.
>>
Option 1.
Just like when games were good.
That's right, back in the day we didn't have markers telling us what to do, we had to figure all by ourselves that we had to visit the single new town disponible at each story segment.
>>
>>4224315
>lel games no good anymore crybaby meme
>>
>>4223992
I dont think like markers either, but at least something like a reminder of what to do next, not specifically where to go.

Because sometime you lose track of times while grinding
>>
Explore areas but have the markers and quest list too
>>
>>4224315
Lttp has markers
>>
I don't mind markers like in GTA. You still have to know the landmarks and roads but you don't get fucked up by moving a bridge too far.
Having a questlog is also useful to keep track of what you already did and what you still have to do so you don't get mixed up with half done quests.
>>
1 seems closer to what I would want.

One of the reasons I don't play every single RPG out there is that some of them are too focused on the battle mechanics and such. For me it's much better to have some sort of experience like the first one. I've played some fairly easy JRPGs that I really, really love, like FFIX, Suikoden 2 and Skies of Arcadia, and even though I dig the equipment system in FFIX, I enjoy mostly the story, the sidequests and such.
>>
>>4223992
The first.
>>
>>4224065
So you played only one, because there is not rpg in which soon or later you don't get lost.
>>
>>4224182
>Apart from that
>I managed to get to the end of the game on my own
Look here
>Apart from that
>>
>>4223992
>>
>>4224034
A snake, huh. Usually you get beaten to death by one hundred geriatric beggars. A snake is a funy way to go.
>>
File: 3318215[1].jpg (43KB, 333x249px) Image search: [Google]
3318215[1].jpg
43KB, 333x249px
>>4223992
I prefer 1 a million times than 2, but not because is well implemented. Exploration is never a feature in itself, but more like a gap between other features. There are never things that makes exploration more fun, like objects that allows you to find different paths, hints, the need to prepare the journey, having a clear array of options so you can discard the failed ones, interesting things happening in the exploration (random encounters are a cheap solution).
>>
>>4223992

Well I don't like quest markers but I don't think it should take hours to figure out my basic objective. The games narrative should be able to field that on it's own and if Im ever left wonder what I should do it's bad design.
>>
>>4225239
Well it appeared as some sort of beggar, then turned into a bunch of snakes.
>>
>>4224009
it's 4chan after all
>>
why don't you just play TTRPGs niggaz
>>
>>4224405
>i eat shit and like it
No thanks
>>
>>4225641
What TTRPG allows you to freely explore the world and do whatever quests you want?
>>
>>4223992
I prefer a mix. Explore to find out how to advance the story, but get a marker once I find an NPC that advances the story.
Not too accurate of a marker though, and even better would just be a note in a quest menu telling me roughly the area to go to.
>>
I would definitely prefer option 1 over two, but at least with a journal or objective list of some sort. I can't count how many times I've loaded up a save from an older RPG only find out that I have absolutely no idea what's going on, with little to no clues as to how I should advance the story.

Ideally, the game should be designed well enough that the player is guided to the objective, and sub sequentially have no need for a journal or objective markers, but most games out there simply aren't like that. Personally, I hate wandering aimlessly looking for one random NPC or trigger that advances the story. Most of the time it's just lazy design meant to pad out the game without giving any sort of rewarding experience. I'm playing the game to go through the story, if I wanted to do random battles for 30 minutes I would already be doing that,
>>
>>4225668
>What TTRPG allows you to freely explore the world and do whatever quests you want?

All of them
>>
File: 71lE0GfYtGL[1].jpg (182KB, 828x1000px)
71lE0GfYtGL[1].jpg
182KB, 828x1000px
>>4225668
>What TTRPG allows you to freely explore the world and do whatever quests you want?

All of them
>>
>>4226260
>>4226201
None I played. It's always railroad from one event to another.
>>
>>4226337
D-damn, you are right.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.