[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this game still worth playing now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Suikoden2_NA.jpg (87KB, 419x410px) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden2_NA.jpg
87KB, 419x410px
Is this game still worth playing now?
>>
yeah
best in the series, although 1 and 5 are good too
>>
>>4223949
Only fault I can think of is the translation.
>>
>>4223957
What if you never played the series, and have high expectations on jrpg
>>
>>4223973
I liked it, the battle system is nothing special (6 characters, unite attacks, combo magic notwithstanding) but it's fast so it doesn't get in the way, and you can customize your characters to an extent with runes
the plot and some of the characters (out of 108) are great imo

what jrpgs do you rank highly?
>>
>>4223986
oh and you get your HQ which gets upgraded, similarly to BoFII except better
>>
>>4223986
Square enix tier rpgs (ff series, chrono trigger). Also the smt series.
>>
>>4223995
well I like those too, and I liked S2 as well so give it a shot
>>
Yes, it's better than 99.9% of the nugames that come out now.
>>
>>4223949
No. Shit writing, music, level design, translation and it's full of bugs.
>>
>>4223949
That's a blast from the past. I remember this game being advertised on the back of my Vandal Hearts II booklet. Never played it, though, it looked interesting.
>>
>>4224683

Here's that (You) you wanted. Now fuck off.
>>
>>4223970
How about the fact you miss a sidequest and one god tier character to use if you don't have a Suikoden 1 save while starting out?

>>4223986
I think the battles going at relatively fast pace more than makes up for not being a special snowflake.
>>
File: Started_but_never_finished.jpg (730KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Started_but_never_finished.jpg
730KB, 2592x1944px
>>4225010
This.

>>4223949
I will admit I played through the first couple games with the assistance of gamefaqs. I still found them enjoyable for the stories alone. For the 2nd game, aside from the Langrisser-styled tactics segments (replacing the first's Dragon Force-like army battles), battles are pretty fast and like Ys-like experience system keeps the pacing (it is amusing to make a low level just instantly right where they should be just for participation). So you can just get right to the story bits if that's what you're into. It does feel like you progress in building a home (Dark Cloud-like?). I would say it is worth playing anytime, and I think you will put it up there with your favorites like Chrono Trigger as I do (however, I have not played any SMT games).

I'm on team Nanami.
>>
>>4225340
I would say Skies of Arcadia is a bit closer to this game
>>
File: 40588972_p0.jpg (448KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
40588972_p0.jpg
448KB, 600x888px
Everybody already mentioned why the game is worth playing gameplay-wise, so I'm going to mention the story because many people think S2 story is so fucking awesome. At the first glance the story seems pretty great, it focuses more on a dispute between nations instead of fantasy/legend mumbo jumbo--they're there, but they're barely the focus. But when you analyze deeper into it, many things might annoy you. The main three protagonists are basically kids and for the whole game they kept acting like spoiled kids. For those three, the writing is shonen-manga/anime tier complete with power of friendship bullshit. Their sappy teenage drama might ruin some scenes (it ruined some for me) Besides that, the war story is pretty engaging. For a simpler but more satisfying story/main characters you might want to try the first game, but the gameplay is so clunky it might annoy the fuck out of you.

>>4225010
>How about the fact you miss a sidequest and one god tier character to use if you don't have a Suikoden 1 save while starting out?
Not really a fault, it's a side character you can't really recruit and putting him into your party is a pain in the ass. What, you just finished a story segment and every member has left your party? Enjoy going all the way back to Gregminster to recruit him.
>>
>>4225469
I feel like Suikoden II is fairly incomplete without the first one. I thought the whole story in Suikoden I about being just a tiny group of nothings turning into a resistance army that eventually obliterates the fuck out of the empire was pretty neat. The gameplay is clunky and whoever designed the maps should not have had a job, but I thought it was still decent.

In 2 characters seemed to be a little bit more fleshed out and the alternate ending thing was interesting, although you're right, the childhood trio drama was quite terrible.

The whole Nanami wants you to stop everything and just go home actually made me dislike her quite a bit, that's pretty much like trying to kill a raging boner with a box cutter, not even joking
>>
>>4225481
Nanami's overall character arc was a mistake. She's the worrywart big sister who's just trying to protect her lil bro, so far to even suggesting to run away and left the fucking army without a leader. Slowly throughout the game she should realize that her big bro is growing up to be a man. The most logical development should be her accepting that Riou is the leader of the army and supporting him fully instead of kept telling him to escape with her to the mountains. And what did we get? She fucking faked her own death so her little bro could stop worrying about her. yeah she kinda did accept the fact about Riou, but it shouldn't be executed this way. Riou is our silent protagonist, but if he had an actual personality he would be DESTROYED to witness what happened to Nanami (leaving the it's just a prank, bro! part, of course) That's not a good way to motivate him really. Don't get me started on that turbocunt Jowy.

This is why I prefer Suikoden 1, where everyone close to you supported your choice to be a leader. Tir had a rough time for the whole game, and nobody asked him to run away or give up. It's a much simpler/classic approach, but it's effective. Maybe it helps that almost all of Tir's closest friend are adults.
>>
>>4225554

See this is all why I hate HAAAAAAAAATE the good ending in S2. It just undermines everything terribly with a nice saccharine bow and to even pretend you can go back to how things where before they start is ludicrous. You don't have to become a tired broken edge lord or depart to wherever the fuck Frodo went but the hero needs to have some lasting change and not just go back to being WOW FRIENDSHIP with his dead sister and war criminal best friend
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.