[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OpenTTD thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 27

File: OpenTTD.png (480KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
OpenTTD.png
480KB, 1024x768px
OpenTTD thread
>>
Love it to build huge rail networks
>>
File: Feels Goodman.png (90KB, 562x328px) Image search: [Google]
Feels Goodman.png
90KB, 562x328px
This is one of like two computer games I still play.
>>
Can I get a quick rundown on gitting gud at this game?
>>
>>4224317
It's an open ended game, so you pretty much have to set your goals for yourself. But in order to do anything you need to be able to run a profit.

A simple way to start is by looking at the minimap in industry mode. Go ahead and turn off the display of everything except one or two industry chains you want to start with (say, coal mines and power plants + forests and sawmills). Look on the minimap for a region with a number of primary industries (coal mines, forests, etc.) situated pretty far away from the appropriate secondary industry (power plant, sawmill, etc.), but not so far that you won't be able to afford to build tracks to it. Your very first line can just be a simple track between a station near the primary and another station near the secondary. You will only be able to run one train on that track.
At this point if you still have some money, you can add passing areas (a short stretch of two tracks side by side--like the left and right sides of a two-lane road--long enough for trains going "out" to pass trains coming back "in") and add more trains to the line. If you want to add a second train that delivers (e.g.) coal from the same station as the original train, you can just copy the orders from the first train (using the "shared orders" feature is also useful if you want changes to one train to effect all the others serving the same station).
With the money you make from this line, add more branches: short lines going out from your "main" line to the other primary industries in your starting region. Remember to always put stretches of two-lane track around the junctions (the points where the branch lines branch out from) so that trains don't get deadlocked. As you start sharing your main line between more and more trains, add more passing areas until you eventually convert the whole thing to two lanes of track.

From there it's all about what you want to do. I like to play games where I only transport passengers, for example.
>>
>>4224317
>rothschilds bow to the trains
>in contact with trains
>possess train-like abilities
>control trains with an iron railroad
>own trains and railroads globally
>direct descendants of trains
>will bankroll the first trains on Mars (a train station will be the first thing built on mars)
>own 99% of all trains on Earth
>first designer babies will likely be born on a train
>both trains said to go at 212 km/h
>ancient indian sculptures tell of two trains who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of cargo and passengers
>they own cities around the world
>you most likely have trains in you right now
>>
>>4224367
>will bankroll the first trains on Mars (a train station will be the first thing built on mars)
There is a potentially-fun-but-kinda-unfinished Mars overhaul for OpenTTD now (much better than the fantasy-inspired Mars scenario for the original Transportation Tycoon).
>>
>>4223954
I could never get signals right.
>>
>>4224401
Path signals make it extremely easy. Just think of them as stop signs. Place a signal anywhere it's OK for a train to stop and wait, and don't put one anywhere you wouldn't want a train to be stopped for a long time.
(So thinking about a 4-way stop on a road, the stop signs are placed at all the points where a car can enter the intersection, but not at any of the places where a car would be leaving the intersection.)
>>
>>4224362
Whenever I tried to play this game I always ended up with isolated single-tracks all over the map. Doesn't help that even with a single train the supplies would dry out.
>>
>>4224630
If you had more trains the monthly supply would increase instead of decrease. Every month the industry can change production, and the chance for it to go up is increased if the service rating is above 80%. If it drops too low (as it does when you only have one train), it decreases until the amount produced is less than the amount the train can deliver.
>>
>>4223851
I unironically though the original tileset for toyworld looked neat.
>>
File: 1. Scouting the map.png (76KB, 1250x929px) Image search: [Google]
1. Scouting the map.png
76KB, 1250x929px
I want this thread to live so I'm going to post some screenshots that help explain how to play the game.

Here I've started a new game. I've got a bunch of newGRFs loaded, but the relevant one is Iron Horse, which is a simple gameplay-oriented trainset suitable for beginners. It replaces the default trains with slightly more variety, but doesn't overwhelm you with autistic levels of realism. I've turned off anything that changes the industries so that my examples will be applicable to a vanilla game.

First thing to do is open the minimap and put it in industries mode. Using the (rather small, look closely) buttons on the map key, I've disabled everything except the more profitable primary industries and their respective secondary industries. These represent the coal, wood, and iron ore chains. Glancing at the map I see a steel mill and a power plant near each other, with some coal mines and iron ore mines spread around them a good distance away. To give you a sense of scale, this is a 512x512 map. I know that I make more money for delivering resources across a longer distance (but with the tradeoff that it takes a longer amount of time for them to get there), so it makes sense to choose primary industries that are pretty far away from their secondaries, but not so far that I will never see the money. I've sketched out some potential networks I can build in different colors.
>>
1. Build airport on one end of the map
2. Build another airport on the other end
3. Reap profit

Wew that was hard
>>
File: 2. First train.png (2MB, 1737x1182px) Image search: [Google]
2. First train.png
2MB, 1737x1182px
>>4226005
Next thing to do is build my first train! Here you can see an zoomed out view of the tracks I've built to start with, and closeups of the areas around the stations.
The unloading station is positioned so that it is close enough to the power plant and the steel mill to accept both coal and iron ore unloaded there. This station is designed as a "roll in, roll out" station or "ro-ro." That means trains enter from one side and leave from the other. The one-way path signals I've placed around it tell the trains which way to go.
The loading station next to the coal mine is laid out as a terminus station. Trains head in, load up, turn around (the game handles this automatically) and pull out from the same side. The one-way signal allows incoming trains to enter whichever platform is free, and the signals facing the station tell the trains on the platforms to wait until the path out is clear before starting to move.
Finally I build a depot near the loading station and purchase a train with the proper cars to haul coal. I give the train orders to take on a full load at the mine station and unload all cargo at the power plant station.

Note that at this time there is only one track for the bulk of the distance between the stations. This will work OK for one or two trains, but once I start to add more, most of the trains will spend most of their time waiting for the track to be clear, since only one train can occupy that stretch of track at a time.
>>
File: 3. Expanding the network.png (631KB, 883x1032px) Image search: [Google]
3. Expanding the network.png
631KB, 883x1032px
>>4226062
Now I've added two more terminus stations to the network near an iron ore mine and another coal mine. In order to handle the increased number of trains, I've added a second track to the part of the line that all the trains will share and placed ordinary block signals at a regular interval along its length. This will serve like a two-lane highway with right-hand drive.
>>
One tip I'll add is to try to keep the income steady. If don't have many vehicles and the load-travel-unload cycle takes 2 years at some point you'll have to wait 2 years in order to have money to keep building.

It is ok to make smaller railways or take full loan and build a big one in the begining. In the later case make sure:

1. you have enough cash to terraform and build tracks
2. you have enough cash to buy trains
3. the trains can go there fast enough (don't make a 40s steam engine with 20 coal cars climb mont everest)
>>
File: 4. Simple Junction.png (95KB, 525x416px) Image search: [Google]
4. Simple Junction.png
95KB, 525x416px
>>4226107
Let's also look at how the junction works. Here's a closeup on the simplest kind of junction. Trains proceeding along the main line can either continue or branch off and head for the loading station on the left. Trains coming from the loading station can enter the main line and proceed north only, because that's where the unloading station is.

Every "entrance" to the junction has a one-way path signal (which you can think of like a stop sign). A train will wait at the signal until the path it wants to take is free, and then proceed. Ordinary block signals along the rest of the line space the trains out and allow multiple trains traveling in the same direction to share the line without crashing into each other.

The flaw in this junction is that a train coming from the station on the left has to cross over the main south-bound track as it makes the left-turn onto the north-bound track. This won't be a problem with only three trains in the network, but if there were many more it would cause delays while south-bound trains have to stop and wait for new trains entering the line to get out of the way. This could be solved by building a bridge or tunnel over the main line so that trains coming from the loading station don't have to cross paths with trains traveling down the main line.
>>
>>4224386
This is making me want to play.
>>
File: 5. Efficient Half-Junction.png (304KB, 1086x664px) Image search: [Google]
5. Efficient Half-Junction.png
304KB, 1086x664px
>>4226123
Here's an example of a more efficient junction. Trains coming from the upper-left and traveling toward the upper-right can make their left turn through a tunnel that goes under two lanes of tracks, so that they don't interrupt trains going the opposite direction. They can return to where they came from with a simple right turn merge onto the line. This route is represented by the yellow arrows. Note how the tunnel allows the trains on the yellow route to avoid blocking trains on the green route.

However, this is really only half a junction, because the hypothetical route shown in red is impossible. If I had trains that needed to travel between the south and the tracks on the upper right, I would need to build a more complicated junction. Luckily, you will find that most of the time you won't have trains trying to go every which way, so compact half-junctions like this will be the most common type you need to build. Pay attention to the signals--plain block signals still indicate the direction trains on a particular section of track should go (still right-hand drive), and one-way path signals stand at every entrance to the junction. In this particular case the path signals aren't really necessary and the junction would still work just as well (more or less) with only block signals.
>>
>>4223963
whats the other one?
>>
>>4226379
im also curios
>>
>>4226379
Victoria II, but if I'm being honest I've also picked up HoMM III recently on /vr/'s influence.
>>
File: Choo-choo.webm (2MB, 1192x771px) Image search: [Google]
Choo-choo.webm
2MB, 1192x771px
Here's a little animation of some trains moving around. Also shows what the network I sketched out (up here >>4226005) ended up looking like on the minimap.
>>
Any interest in multiplayer?
>>
>>4228093
I miss the openttd 4chan multiplayer server.
>>
I really really really want to play this game, but whenever I try it is just too hard and when I try to study how to play it gives me a headache. Do brainlets like me even have chance at playing?
>>
File: woody.png (749KB, 933x645px) Image search: [Google]
woody.png
749KB, 933x645px
>>4223963 This

I've played this game on and off since I got the TT + World Editor edition back in the day as a kid.

PBS and GRFs give enough scope to make the game what you want of it. Total comfy sandbox joy.

I only cruise /vr/ when I don't have a game on the go and I'm looking for something different. Does /vr/ not like it?
>>
>>4228793
Take advices from this thread.
Just turn off AI competition and start on small or medium map. Find 2 industries you can connect or cities close to each other and build simple railroad track of road. Check out YouTube for more.
>>
>>4228793
It depends what you want out of the game. I never play against anyone else, I just try to build a network that pleases me.

Take a look at the cargo graphs - one shows cargo payment rates compared to time- so early in the game transport something that won't perish on a slow train over a long distance, such as coal.

After that, look at station ratings and feeder systems.

No one in the community will defend the mechanics of how the economy works though. I tend to see it as something you 'deal with' rather than 'play against'.
>>
>>4224317
#1 Build airports
#2 lel there is no #2
>>
>>4228957
Don't just build airports, that's missing the point of the game. There's no way to "win," and just "lel plane go here now" is no fun.
It's like saying the way to git gud at pokemon is to trigger a glitch that displays the end credits ten seconds into the game. Wow, you broke the game. Happy now?

In all seriousness planes do have a place in the game and can be fun to work with if you load up a newgrf that gives you lots of real aircraft and liveries to choose from. I like to play on maps with a lot of islands, so planes could be useful for connecting rail networks on distant islands.
>>
>>4229003
IIRC there's a setting in openttd to balance airplane income, not sure. And that got me thinking of starting an archipelago map.
>>
File: Clean.png (14KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Clean.png
14KB, 1024x512px
>>4229352
There's a speed factor setting you can change, and since income depends on how quickly you deliver cargo setting the factor to 1/2 or 1/4th does control your income somewhat.

I will warn you that generating an archipelago map is a pain. If you set the terrain generator to have a high percentage of water, you are more likely to get a weird snaky continent than a bunch of island-like separated landmasses. I get the best results with 51% water and freeform edges (the other settings don't have much effect on this).
Pic related is an example of a map that it took me quite a few tries to generate. I've actually attempted to write programs to generate heightmaps with the shapes I want and import them to the game instead of using the built in terrain generator, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.
>>
>>4223851
Does /vr/ know some good assets or assets combinations?
I've spent thousands of hours in this and original since release, I would love to try something new but have no idea what to download. I'm not a fan of most popular train grfs, as they feel off when compared to original trains.
>>
I dislike airplanes in this game. That is because of randomness of crashing the airplane when landing on an airport (which results into the loss of all passangers at that airport and setting the rating of it to 0%)
>>
How do I get opponent AIs to work in this game? This is what pisses me off in comparison to original TTD. I want other bastards making profit too.
>>
>>4231810
Airplanes aren't great since it's a train game at heart, but there is a setting to reduce or entirely disable those crashes.

>>4231820
OpenTTD has an overhauled AI system that allows modular AIs to be written in a scripting system. That means you have to download the AIs you want to play against from the in-game content downloader. They are much better than the original horrible AI, but still not very good. Most people never play with them. If you want competition, I suggest multiplayer.
>>
>>4226062
Are those train stations in the image, or something else? Where's the button for those things? My train station doesn't look like that.
>>
Any tips for a newcomer?
I remember messing arroundwith the game a chunk of time ago, so I shouldn't have problems with basic stuff, but that would be easy enough already
>>
Why is it that my train does not get loaded with coal when the station is parked right next to the coal mine?
>>
File: Stations and Tram Loop.png (440KB, 1125x761px) Image search: [Google]
Stations and Tram Loop.png
440KB, 1125x761px
>>4232517
Those are stations provided by a newgrf called Industrial Stations Renewal, which you can download from the in-game browser. When you enable the newgrf the normal station construction dialog box will have a list full of thumbnails that build all kinds of stations. See pic.

>>4232537
Station rating is the most important thing long term when you are transporting freight cargo. Over decades you can get a primary industry to produce five or ten times more of the resource than when you started. Keep the station rating high by making sure there is always a train waiting to pick up cargo. Keep the "% transported" rating on the industry dialog box above 60% all the time for moderate growth, and above 80% for faster growth. Eventually you will need to build higher capacity and more efficient stations, your industries will produce so much.

For transporting passengers, stimulating town growth is the most important thing long term. The town growth algorithm mostly depends on the number of stations inside the town's authority area that have transported cargo in the past month. I just set up a small loop of tram lines right in the center of the town and put a four passenger stations along it. That plus the main train station in the town adds up to 5 stations that will get service every day or so, which is the maximum number of frequently serviced stations a town needs to have to grow quickly. See pic. Since the towns will get quite big, I always configure my game settings so that towns will use the 3x3 road layout, which is convenient for placing stations and prevents all the stupid behavior the default town growth algorithm causes.

>>4232614
Did you give it orders to load with cargo? A train with a blank go-to order will load cargo if it's available, but it won't wait in the station for cargo to start coming in. Since you haven't picked up any cargo yet, the station isn't getting any.
>>
Are entry, exit and combo signals relevant? From what I can understand path signals do the same job but better

>>4232645
Thank you for the advice
>>
>>4226005
>>4226062
>>4226107
>>4226123
>>4226373
>>4226740
Thanks for writing it all down anon, it will surely be useful
>>
>>4232689
>path signals do the same job but better
Pretty much. Combo signals are useful for some crazy autismal things like load balancers, but in practice you only need to use path signals. I do recommend using plain block signals for spacing on your lines to reduce cpu load though. On big maps with hundreds of trains putting path signals everywhere is pretty inefficient.
>>
File: hilhab2.png (420KB, 1577x1245px) Image search: [Google]
hilhab2.png
420KB, 1577x1245px
So far I am enjoying the game, planing lines and overcoming terrain difficulties is pretty fun and rewarding. Thank you all for that thread.

Once I generated the map I did what >>4226005 did and marked hub station and some of possible future lines. Then I started to think how to build the hub such that it will be able to accept both coal and iron and still make sense. Eventually I made a station that trains go into from at the top and exit at the bottom. Second station I made was Manx 1. I think I should make it terminal, but I just wanted it to loop arround. Everything else is done pretty normally, except the thing on picture 4, where I minimalised negative effect of trains on the brown line having to go arround the factory by making alternative exit line.

Now I'll have to think about buying more trains to each line as I have only one on each at the moment.
>>
>>4232645
When I sent a train to a station with more than one available resource, how do I command it to load only one type of resource? Why is it that I give a train the command to pick up any resource it just sits there at %0 and doesn't do anything?
>>
>>4233076
Also what's all this near end/ far end stuff mean? I guess I could read the manual, but the guides I try to follow are always short on details for questions I have while playing.
>>
>>4233081
Oh yeah, source-via-destination, and all those other options. What the hell does that mean?
>>
>>4233076
What kind of cargo is the train fit to hold? You can refit a train to a different cargo by clicking the icon with cubes on the train dialog while it is parked in a station. This is usually necessary wothbnewgrfs but not with the default wagons.

>>4233081
Just means where the train stops in the station when the station is longer than the train. It doesn't matter.

>>4233110
That is used with the cargo destination setting turned on. It's useful for making passengers seem more realistic. It would show something like, 1000 passengers are waiting at Boston, 700 want to go to New York and 300 want to go to Philadelphia via New York.
>>
>>4224625
Does the direction of the signal matter? I can't tell what a given signal is supposed to do on its sprite alone.
>>
>>4234747
Yes the direction of the signal matters a great deal. That's how you make trains go in the direction you want them to travel. Try imitating the layout of signals in the screenshots up-thread and just watching what the trains in your game do. You will start to get a feel for how they work.

If you just select the basic block signal, you can use ctrl-click to cycle through the path signals and one way path signals (which are all the types you will ever need to use). That will save you from having to click on those tiny sprites in the menu over and over again. Use the keyboard shortcut s to place signals while you are in track-building mode. You can bring up track building from anywhere by pressing keyboard shortcut a.
>>
>>4234792
thanks to the anon(s) who did this quick tour of the game in this thread, having played too much city builders and city sims i always assumed tycoons were just boring simplified sims, im glad i finally tried it, its awesome
>>
File: Busy Station.webm (524KB, 1200x640px) Image search: [Google]
Busy Station.webm
524KB, 1200x640px
Here's another attempt at making a webm. Time lapse this time. Same station as here >>4226740, but I've expanded it with more platforms and a loading area for steel. As a result the track layout has become much more complicated.

>>4232964
Looks pretty good, but I have one suggestion for improvement. In the area shown in your 4th screenshot, you have a number of sharp corner turns where you have only one piece of diagonal track separating perpendicular pieces of straight track. Trains will have to slow down a lot to go around those corners, but if you make the diagonal piece longer, you smooth out the turn and trains can take them at full speed. It's an easy fix. I see that everywhere else you have good use of diagonals and good turning radius.
>>
File: hilhab now.png (981KB, 1280x3082px) Image search: [Google]
hilhab now.png
981KB, 1280x3082px
>>4235140
Damn, that station looks good, my one... well...
I expanded my railroad empire pretty quickly, added a lot of tracks, a lot of trains, a lot of everything and naturally, the infrastructure started to choke sometimes. My main station (screenshot 2) is a mess, because of me panicking over not being able to support big numbers of trains at the same time. You can see some random pieces of track that I placed in hope it would help, maybe it did a bit, but it bringed more problems. Screenshot 3 presents two most trouble-causing junctions, the ones connecting my main lines.
I am not sure if I am able to fix those, I'll probably start over. Looking at your station... Well, I have a lot to learn and practice
>>
File: Follow.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Follow.webm
3MB, 640x480px
Oh hey I figured out how to make the video much less choppy. This one has a large filesize because the background changes though.

>>4235182
>1
Your network layout looks good. It looks like it grew organically as you described, but the overall plan looks like it was made by someone who knew what they were doing. So I'd say you've got the big picture down.
>2
You've added a ton of platforms to the station but they won't do you much good because the bottleneck is probably trains getting into and out of the station. It looks like you've tried to add some alternative paths in and out of the station, but what you really need to do is space things out a little more. Fewer sharp turns, more parallel tracks, more waiting areas so that trains waiting to enter the station or rejoin the main line don't hold up trains coming from other directions.
It looks like you are loading steel now. That's a good resource but you do have to beware when loading and unloading from the same station. Your station has 8 platforms, if you had 8 steel trains there is a possibility that they would all be waiting in the station at the same time and no ore trains would be able to unload, leaving them stuck endlessly waiting for some steel to be produced. That's why I built a separate station for steel loading in the screenshot I posted a minute ago. You'll also notice how that extra station has a long track leading up to it to provide a waiting area where steel trains won't block the main line. Similarly you'll notice that every part of the station complex has its own line of tunnels heading out in the northwest direction, so that there won't be a bottleneck when trains try to leave the station complex.
>3
Ah yeah, crashes like that suck because they jam everything up and throw your network out of whack for months even after the accident clears. When it's clear consider building a three-way half-junction there like in this screenshot >>4226373. You have plenty of space for it.
>>
>>4230192
You're looking for newgrfs? I'm not sure what you dislike about the trainsets you've tried--in my opinion the default trains are nearly unplayable (only one or two of them are ever worth using at any given time and there are so few high-performance engines, no real multiple-units, etc.). If you find the amount of choice overwhelming there is Iron Horse, which is designed to be a replacement for the default trains instead of a realistic depiction of actual historical trains.

One of my favorite trainsets is the 2CC set which has trains and subways from all over the world. There are a lot of trains in the set but you can set parameters to restrict it to (say) just European trains if you want to.
Another is the Japanset which has narrow-gauge Japanese locomotives and passenger EMUs/DMUs (including many of the famous passenger trains you might recognize from anime, Japanese movies, etc.), as well as an awesome set of standard-gauge Shinkansen bullet trains. Japanset is really fun to use for passenger-focused games where you want to build regional networks of high-capacity urban trains linked together by a backbone of express trains and bullet trains. There are also companion sets that overhaul the graphical assets with a Japanese theme.

Other than trainsets, sets of road vehicles, planes, and ships are practically mandatory. I hardly ever use planes but I always load either the Av8 or World Airliner Set newgrfs just in case I do, because they are so much better than the boring default planes. The definitive ship newgrf is called FISH, I think the latest version is "Squid Ate Fish" or something like that. For road vehicles I suggest you use "eGRVTS" (the expanded generic road vehicle and tram set) which gives you a serviceable set of trams to use (tram lines and stations are part of the game but there are no tram vehicles in the default vehicles). For heavy duty industrial trams that are more like mini-trains, check out Road Hog.
>>
>>4235251
Are there any historical trainsets? I'm thinking pre WW1, sort of that era.
>>
>>4235218
Thanks for all those advices, they will surely be useful, I am analyzing your layout to see what I did wrong too. I'll think what to do next tomorrow as it's pretty late here and I am not really capable of deciding whether I should try to fix my current complex or just start over, a bit richer with experience and knowledge. Once again, thank you for taking your time helping

PS How do you make those webms? I wanted to be able to make those for a time, yet everytime I tried I couldn't get anything to work
>>
>>4235264
Yes, both of the sets I mentioned have start dates in the 1800s. I think the first steam engines in the Japan set show up around the 1870s, and the first in 2CC are even earlier than that (1830s I think, but they aren't really usable until the 1850s or so).
Most large newer sets will have start dates that go back that far, but some of the old sets that were made way back when the game couldn't start before 1920 will naturally have their first trains appear in 1920. I think the original UKRS was like that, while UKRS2 and the later versions of NARS (north american renewal set) should have earlier start dates.
Most of the popular trainsets are national sets (German trains, dutch trains, Japanese trains, that kind of thing), so if you pick a country that had early rail history, the corresponding set will probably have the early historical trains.

I really like starting my games in the 1800s because I want them to last as long as possible. Some of the RV and tram sets I mentioned will give you things like horse drawn carriages that you can use around the same time. I will warn you that the trains of the 19th century were very slow and weak, so it's a bit challenging to actually make money with them when you start that early. Once you spend your initial loan, you're going to be waiting around for a while for your slooooow as fuck trains to bring in some cash.
>>
>>4235272
To make the webms I'm using ffmpeg. The syntax I'm using will only work on windows, but there is some other way to do it that works on linux and mac if you need that. First I capture the whole openttd window to a lossless format that can be encoded very quickly (my computer would be too slow to capture the video and encode it to webm in real time) with this line
>ffmpeg -y -f gdigrab -framerate 7.5 -i title="OpenTTD 1.7.1" -vcodec libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast -an -t 30 temp.mkv
That means "capture the window titled OpenTTD at 7.5 fps for 30 seconds and put it in a lossless video stream as fast as possible." Crf 0 means lossless quality (no lossy compression at this stage, which is too slow), -y means overwrite the previous temp.mkv file if it exists, -an means no audio.

Then I crop out just the part of the window I want and encode it to a high quality webm with a line like this
>ffmpeg -y -i temp.mkv -crf 4 -qmin 0 -qmax 15 -vf "setpts=0.25*PTS,crop=1200:640:714:98" -r 30 final.webm
That means "read in temp.mkv, crop it, speed up the video by a factor of 4, and encode it to a webm at 30 fps." The most important tweak on that line is setting -qmax 15. Without worrying about exactly what this means, for each frame the encoder assigns q between 0 and 63. Higher number means lower quality. By setting the maximum allowed q to 15, I make sure that every frame will be very sharp. For normal video you wouldn't want to do this, because the whole point of encoding is to compress away unnecessary details and make the video file smaller, but since these webms will contain pixel art that is mostly just a static background, it makes sense to demand that every frame look very sharp. The webm file will still be small because it basically only has to store what the background looks like on the first frame. The only pixels that move are the comparatively small train sprites and little details like the steam coming from the power plant and the signal lights.
>>
>tfw we will never get a TT with the graphics and mechanics of Locomotion and the map size and economic system of OpenTTD
why live
>>
>>4234792
What about dragging signals? Is that something I need to do? Does that increase the number of tiles the signal reacts to?
>>
>>4235420
A signal always "sees" all the tiles between it and the next signal down the line. Dragging signals is just a way to build signals more quickly. Unbroken sections of track along your lines (i.e., just plain double track between junctions and stations with nothing branching out of it) should be covered with signals at regular intervals so that trains can use them like a highway.

Try ctrl-clicking while dragging signals. Place one signal at the start of a long, unbroken track and then begin to drag in the direction you want to cover with signals while holding down ctrl. You only need to drag for a tile or two, not all the way. When you release the mouse button the entire section of track should have signals just like the one you placed all along its length. The signals will stop wherever the track ends or intersects with another track. This is just a time-saving shortcut which is useful for filling up very long sections of track with signals.
>>
>>4226062
The way you have your signals laid out in the coal mine doesn't work when I implement it. Either a train can't get into the second platform, or it can't get out of it. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>4235775
Post a screenshot of your station.
>>
File: Japanese Towns and Stations.png (920KB, 1850x910px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese Towns and Stations.png
920KB, 1850x910px
Since I had these Pokemon town names turned on when I generated the map (but I do wish I could restrict it to just Kanto/Johto towns), I decided to switch my graphics to Japanese town buildings and passenger stations.
>>
>>
Large crossing
>>
The steel mill
>>
World map, large custom 4k world which I edited with recourse clusters. Very mountainous and high sea level, lots of bridges and tunnels.
>>
The big central station with 402 trains connected, stopped playing here.
>>
>>4237695
Well that is certainly a lot of capacity. Your track layouts almost look more like circuit traces on a PCB.
>>
This thread is determined to die
>>
File: Map.gif (132KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Map.gif
132KB, 1024x512px
>>
>>4239057
All threads must die.

>how about a 4chan openttd multiplayer?
>>
OpenTTD is super comfy. Do you guys use any patches or just play vanilla?
>>
>>4241082
patches man, vanilla is for scrubs.
>>
>>4241082
I don't use any patches because I want to play multiplayer sometimes (and I don't want to have multiple instances of the game), but some of them do have features that I wish were in trunk. Unfortunately the devs are overworked trying to maintain this reverse engineered Frankenstein of a game and are very reluctant to accept contribs.

I'd still like to see the daylength patch make it in though. Over the years they've added path based signaling, cargo distribution, new road types, and probably major features descended from community patches that I'm not remembering.

>>4241087
Patches are for reddit
>>
>>4241082

Patches no, NewGRF yes.
>>
File: ttdvr.jpg (426KB, 1552x1083px) Image search: [Google]
ttdvr.jpg
426KB, 1552x1083px
>>
>>4242242
That train is going faster than mach 2. Has science gone too far?
>>
>>4241082
I play without patches and without NewGRFs, I want to play the game as close as possible to the original game
>>
>>4241087
>patches man
any recommendations of what i shouldn't miss?

>>4241487
>NewGRF yes
name one
https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List
>>
>>4247757
>any recommendations of what i shouldn't miss?
Some of the patchpacks are quite good e.g. jgrpp, spring 2013 (updated this year despite the name). The authors have done the work of fixing the conflicts between the patches that are included.
>>
File: ponytail.png (64KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
ponytail.png
64KB, 249x249px
I used to play this game a LOT. During the worst times of my life, Transport Tycoon was one of the things that kept me going.

>few years ago
>literal fat neckbeard, unkempt hair reaching all the way to my mid-back, ragged filthy clothes
>(then) undiagnosed asperger's, severe depression, social anxiety
>no friends, obviously no gf, absolutely nothing going on in my life
>no job, no school, just wake up to another awful day you have to suffer through until it's time to go back to bed again at 4 am
>play some OTTD while listening to 80s tunes, imagining life as a citizen in one of the small comfy cities that I have populated

I had this one save that I would continue every time I felt like shit, and I felt like shit about 5.5/6 of the day, that 0.5 being slightly happy when I ate some disgusting greasy garbage food. I had some insanely complex train networks, massive highways, some roads aligned so that they would form piece of artwork when I zoomed the camer back etc.
I also had some of my favorite spots of the map that I would stare at while I drank cola. Some comfy small towns next to ocean, and I would watch as the ships went back and forth.
>>
File: 1481295600803.png (9KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
1481295600803.png
9KB, 362x358px
>>4249929
>ywn live in a peaceful isometric world of perfect transportation, completely fre from others judgement, living your life by travelling from one beautiful destination to another
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.