[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite arcade developer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

File: SAY-GUH!.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
SAY-GUH!.png
1MB, 1600x900px
Favorite arcade developer?
>>
File: capcom-logo.jpg (54KB, 809x281px) Image search: [Google]
capcom-logo.jpg
54KB, 809x281px
>>4223340
>>
Your mom
>>
>>4223340
Capcom, hands down.

The only company that even comes close would be SEGA in terms of legacy and quality(during arcade days)

Namco really just legitimized 3D fighters and Light Gun games, which Sega already brought to the scene.

Konami just had those licensed beat em ups and Sunset Riders. Which Capcom already had a plethora of.

Then theres SNK, which for every 1 good game, it shat out like 20 turds. But people seem to forget it took KoF into the late 90's for it to be good, despite the arcades dying, and the game looked insanely dated by that time. And the only people who even gave a fuck about post-1997 SNK were people living in shithole countries. A majority of their games were far inferior when compared to the efforts of their competitors.
>>
>>4223419
I agree that Capcom is the GOAT, but I don't think that you're giving the others quite enough credit.

Konami had a number of good shmups back in the day, whereas while most Capcom shmups are fun, not terribly many that were internally developed were remarkable (some exceptions like 1941, Varth, etc.). Meanwhile Salamander and plenty of Gradius and R-Type games still hold up today.

Namco have always been experimenting with all kinds of different control schemes and approaches; few others have really bothered to make something like Panic Park, for example.

>Then theres SNK, which for every 1 good game, it shat out like 20 turds.
Can't deny that. Still, all that matters is that the good games exist; for one thing, even if only a couple of KoF games are really worth playing today, the entries in the Orochi saga were generally good for their time, and then you had other series like Fatal Fury and SamSho that were perfectly consistent. Lesser known games Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, Rage of the Dragons, and World Heroes were all good too.

That said, for sheer quantity and variety, Capcom just can't be beaten. Tons of fighting games (not all of which are "good" per se but most of which were fun), arguably the greatest amount of worthwhile beat 'em ups, several underrated action-platformers, and tons more. Even if it was poorly-advised from a business sense, I love them for sticking with arcades for as long as they did.
>>
Late 70s/early 80s was ruled by Taito, Namco, and Sega and that was the best era.
>>
File: outzone.jpg (2MB, 1280x1793px) Image search: [Google]
outzone.jpg
2MB, 1280x1793px
T O E - U H - P L O N
>>
File: 0wVTFuP.jpg (993KB, 1600x2161px) Image search: [Google]
0wVTFuP.jpg
993KB, 1600x2161px
>>4223419
>>4223449
>muh fitengayms motherfucker

SEGA or bust
>>
>>4223509
>hating on fighting games
>not realizing that the whole reason SEGA teaming up with Lockheed Martin was for the Virtua Fighter series
>>
>>4223449
you right, and i did neglect SHMUPs in my post. Not because i don't like them, but i just simply forgot.

Konami did have the superior SHMUPs out of any company.

>>4223419
And Namco really legitmized 3D fighters. Yeah SEGA had VF, but VF1 was a novelty of a game. It was slow and clunky. But it looked amazing for 1993. Then VF2 came along and really blew people away. But it didn't caught on in the US, but it blew up everywhere in Asia. Even with Tekken 1 and 2 were mediocre at arcades, but it saw a lot of sales in the console market. Despite having a niche following, many saw 3D fighters as clunky and slow.

Then Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur happened and it showed that 3D fighters can be stylish and responsive. And it really blew up. Despite VF3 being graphically years ahead of its time, it was rare to find a cabinet in the US(it was the hottest game in Japan tho).
>>
>>4223509
Sega fans always find ways to let their autism slip out, it's fascinating really.
>>
Capcom before they mutated into crapcom.
>>
>>4223340
Sega. They have so many great games. Hell my Xbox Live Arcade library is full of Sega titles.
>>
>>4224598
>Idiotic filthy casual detected
Go back to /v/.
>>
File: Laughing-gif_1.gif (541KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-gif_1.gif
541KB, 480x228px
>>4223498
>>
>>4223340
psikyo, i love their shmups
>>
>>4225684
ayy, same here
gunbird 2 being the fav
>>
>>4225678
90s baby detected
>>
>>4225692
Strikers '45 II > Dragon Blaze > Strikers '45 > Gunbird 2 > Strikers '99 > Gunbird > Sengoku Ace
>>
>>4223449
>>4223419
>>4223345
Capcom is seriously overrated shit, a lot of there design choices are weak or don't make sense
>>
>>4225692
>>4225786
psikyo are great and underrated, they really mastered the art of pace I love that stages are just no filler bullshit.
>>
>>4223340
Capcom
>>
>>4225046
>"go back to /v/"

Go back to >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>4225786
No point in comparing when they're all the same game.
>>
>>4226286
You'd have to be a real beginner and have no idea whatsoever to have that opinion, for actual players the nuances are many and vastly different throughout the games but for braindead pleb scum like you who's never even beat a first loop you have to rely on your pathetic brains judgment of aesthetics only like a worthless meat skull cunt.
>>
>>4223419
>Namco really just legitimized 3D fighters and Light Gun games,
??? sad that you fail to appreciate their other contributions

>>4226340
>actual players the nuances are many and vastly different
Let's not exaggerate
>>
File: 2ec.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>4226286
Psykyo games are reskins of each other.
>>
>>4226410
They are. Once you make an almost perfect shmup you can't do much else besides slightly improving it
>>
my favorite arcade game is the original donkey kong. so for me... nintendo. i also like atari
>>
I always had a soft-spot for late-80's/early-90's era Konami.
>>
>>4226340
Even the pros think Psikyo is same-y. The only one that tried something different was Dragon Blaze, but that turned out to be anti-fun because you have to be autistic on when & where you must shoot out your dragon pod for the best coin output.
>>
>>4226452
you have shit taste
>>
>>4223340
snk maybe
>>
>>4225046
>>4223509
>stupid fighting games!
>c-casual detected!
Autism confirmed.
>>
File: treasure.png (4KB, 180x173px) Image search: [Google]
treasure.png
4KB, 180x173px
>>4223340
Treasure. Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga are literally masterpieces.
>>
>>4226554
>Uses "autism" as an insult
SJW cuck confirmed.
>>
>>4225808
Show examples of your point.

>>4223509
Worst fanbase on this board by a mile.
>>
>>4226743
>Worst fanbase on this board by a mile.
Wrong. That would be the Nintendildos.
>>
>>4226798
You guys are just the Nintendildos with a different coat of paint.
>>
>>4226676
>triggered by autism being used as an insult
Hit a little too close to home for ya?
>>
Lol at the OCD guy that cant stop typing autism.
>>
>>4226743
Street Fighter
>>
Sega because they were batshit insane.
>>
File: 16019401.jpg (311KB, 850x1187px) Image search: [Google]
16019401.jpg
311KB, 850x1187px
hmmm
>>
>>4227083
>ctrl f "autism" hoping for something weird
>only 5 instances across presumably three posters including (You)
>3 instances referring back to previous posts using the word
>one guy's OCD
???
you lied and I'm kind of disappointed now
>>
Capcom was amazing, but what did they have besides fighting games, beat 'em ups, and a few others? They were REALLY specific genre-centric when it came to arcade games.
>>
It's SEGA. They had a bunch of crazy bullshit that took a lot of risks, and I respect that more than a company that iterates as safely as capcom.

That, and Out Run/Super Hang-On are better arcade games than anything Capcom have ever developed. They are nigh-flawless.
>>
>>4230236
They had a solid selection of action-platformers. Both GnGs, Strider 1 and 2, Mega Twins, Willow, Black Tiger, Magic Sword, Tiger Road. Many of their shmups were solid but unremarkable, but then there were a few noteworthy ones like some of the 194X games and Varth.

If we want to count published games, then there are even more shmups as well as stuff like Pang.
>>
>>4227610
I said "show examples of your point" not "just say a name and don't explain anything".
>>
>>4227654
thats some nice looking artwrok
>>
>>4231223
Characters like Chun Li (with those weird spike bracelets) , Vega (spanish ninja with a claw?) and don't get me started about al those pallete swaps
>>
>>4223419
>Namco really just legitimized 3D fighters and Light Gun games
They fucking revolutionized arcade games in the early to mid 80s. Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Mappy, Pole Position, etc.
>>
File: Irem_classic.png (91KB, 320x693px) Image search: [Google]
Irem_classic.png
91KB, 320x693px
>>4223340
Not sure about favorite.
But Irem seems interesting.
>R-Type
>Undercover Cops
>In The Hunt
>>
>>4231985
X-Multiply is really underrated.
>>
>>4231985

you can also trace the evolution towards Metal Slug in some of the Irem titles, from the original Gunforce to Cyber-Lip to Gunforce 2 and In the Hunt, the people who worked on those eventually went to Nazca
>>
>>4231875
retard confirmed
>>
Sega because light gun games are best games.
>>
File: 77.png (475KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
77.png
475KB, 640x640px
>>4231875
Well, it's a fighting game, not a fashion contest. I can't see how this makes Capcom overrated.
>>
>>4226743
>Worst fanbase on this board by a mile.
The my-first-console-was-a-N64-so-by-default-that-makes-it-the-best-console people are way worse than both Nintendo and Sega drones, and more than half the population here got a N64 as their first console. It's tiring to see.
>>
>>4230236
>but what did they have besides fighting games, beat 'em ups
Action platformers, shoot 'em ups,

Nothing wrong about being genre specific anyway, that way you can focus on what you do best. Still Capcom was varied enough, genre specific would be shmup companies like Cave
>>
>>4225786
>the first Strikers '45 over late titles
lolno
>>
>>4226743
>worst fanbase by a mile
That would be Nintendo fanboys, moron.
>>
>>4233116
>>4226805
>>
>>4233116
No, that would be the Amiga fanboys that falseflag as consolefags.
>>
1. Sega
2. SNK
3. Capcom
4. Namco
5. Taito
>>
>>4225786
Gunspike > those
>>
>>4226560
You're trying too hard, Treasurefag.
>>
>>4233639
Good thing Australia-kun died.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.