[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Famicom JRPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: madara.png (16KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
madara.png
16KB, 259x194px
Stuff like Dragon Quest, Madara, Final Fantasy, ect...

Anyone played any?
What was your favorite?
Most interesting story?
Best soundtrack?
>>
Radia Senki, Sweet Home are probably my favourites
Last Armageddon, Sansara Naga, Destiny Of An Emperor, Silva Saga are also underrated
although I'm not a fan, Minelvaton Saga is also kind of similar to Madara
currently playing through Mahjong Taisen, it's addicting enough for me to play it without knowing a word of japanese
favourite ost are from the FF games though
>>
I'll name Mother just to get that one out of the way.

Don't know many other NES RPGs.

Oh, Sweet Home is great. Great combination of RPG mechanics with a survival aspect (if a character dies they stay dead, and there is a limited item inventory). Soundtrack is also great by the composer who did Little Nemo.
>>
>>4222081
>best soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGEzqWGp2WA
>>
yes I played a lot nes rpgs but didn't finished many,the ones i can remember most are all the DQ but since they got so many remakes there's no much point playing the nes versions,Madara,Shinsenden,Mother and star gazers

Favorite: Dragon quest 3
Story:Star gazers but I never finished because I lost my save and the game is very grindy
Best Soundtrack:Dragon quest 3
>>
>>4222103
Quick edit
Best story is Tao definitely I forgot about it, also lost my save
>>
My only issue with Madara is the random battles, constantly hearing the same 5 seconds of overworld music is really annoying
>>
>>4222119
my boggest problems are the ally A.I. and running away from battles almost never being a good option
combine that with characters losing their expensive ecquipment once they get K.O.d and it makes for a really frustrating game
>>
What well known RPG is Madara most like? Looks cool from OP's pic.
>>
File: tao.jpg (102KB, 523x370px) Image search: [Google]
tao.jpg
102KB, 523x370px
>>4222107
Came to post Tao as well, regarding story.
The gameplay is a bit weird (random encounters that are just basically button mash?), and the game design in general is cryptic as fuck (supposedly on purpose). The fan-translation being awful doesn't help either. But damn the game has a unique and interesting setting and story.
>>
>>4222081
Dragon warrior. All of them. I vaguely remember playing 4 and loving it. I know I played them all over time.
>>
File: 003823.png (178KB, 272x320px) Image search: [Google]
003823.png
178KB, 272x320px
>>4222103
You actually liked star gazers? I'm not exaggerating when I say that genuinely may be the worst game on the system and one of the worst games ever created.

Personally my favorite is Mother but that was mentioned already. Lagrange Point is pretty cool. It was by Konami and has a unique sound chip that really make the music great.
>>
Is Final Fantasy 2 actually a shit game or is that just a meme?
>>
>>4222851
No it's pretty good. Later remakes refined it to be better so you don't lose stats at the expense of gaining others. For that reason the original can be hard to play for some people.
>>
>>4222851
It is really broken in many ways. As far as Famicom rpgs goes it's excellent.
>>
>>4222103
>stargazers
That's considered one of the most legendary shitty games of all time in Japan, right?
>>
>>4222936
I don't care what japs think.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (111KB, 1100x619px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
111KB, 1100x619px
>>4222739
This one is just about an early Genesis game crammed into an FC cart. I didn't care for the gameplay, but the insane sound and graphics kept me going. Was almost like a super easy Phantasy Star II.

I'm going to throw in Chaos World. It's a little slow to play, and get going, but story is amazing.
>>
>>4222851
it has its flaws (exploits, magic system), but it's still one of the better rpgs for the system
>>
>>4222851
It's a meme parroted by people that read a bad walkthrough that told them to do a bunch of grindy, unnecessary stuff that actually bites you in the ass later.

That said, the game is hilariously broken beyond belief to the point that you're better off just experimenting and trying shit out because "knowing what you're doing" makes the game so painfully easy it hurts.
>>
>>4222871
>>4223125
>>4223159
There's a let's play where a guy does a solo weaponless run with a whole shopping list of restrictions, and he does this not as a personal challenge, but to make the game have some kind of semblance of difficulty left. After finishing he realized that if he does this again, he'll have to add a particular piece of armor to the list of forbidden items because it's just too broken.
>>
>>4222851
It's not great. It's easy to fuck yourself over if you're not reading guides, but like >>4223159 said if you are reading guides then you'll learn how to break the game with no effort.
>>
>>4223173
Depends. Most guides are written by idiots that will tell you to do incredibly counterproductive nonsense that will fuck you over later in the game in ways the guide will just explain away as the game being unfair.
>>
>>4223165
going solo can actually be advantageous because that one character is going to be taking a lot more actions and he's going to be targeted a lot more by enemies, which means his stats will go up at a faster rate
>>
>>4222081
Sweet Home is cool. FF1 and FF3 are both cool. Crystalis is still probably my favorite 2D action RPG.
>>
>>4222739
Yeah I actually liked it.
The setting and aesthetics really makes me want to know wtf is going on in the game

the world map theme is nice, the battle theme is shit,There is one boss that has an awesome theme.

Gameplay is hard at the beginning but you just grind and it gets easier.
I managed to get the second party member then got stuck and I didn't want to check a walktrough then my psp memory stick erased itself for some reason and I lost a shitton of saves
>>
>>4223175
How do you break the game easily then?
>>
>>4223875
Focusing on evasion is the biggest thing you can do. Besides dodging attacks, evasion determines turn order, pre-emptive/ambush rate, and chance to flee. Using shields and light armor will make you invincible until enemies start using spells (which isn't a threat until around the second half of the game).

If you're playing one of the remakes there's also a minigame that can be easily exploited to get huge amounts of money in a short time.
>>
File: show us your minge.png (41KB, 764x674px) Image search: [Google]
show us your minge.png
41KB, 764x674px
About to do an all fighter run, i will proove the justice of my culture
>>
>>4222094
>Destiny Of An Emperor

I always had a soft spot for this. It is still my only personal encounter with those famous Three Kingdoms figures from history/mythology/whatever it is. I gather those characters show up in loads of games (and presumably other media), since Japanese people's brains don't work right and they usually feel compelled to relentlessly reuse old things instead of being creative, but to me they are Destiny of an Emperor characters and nothing more.

I got like halfway through it as a kid, on rentals. Then in college one time I just decided to sit down and beat the game. I played it for 24 hours straight on an emulator and finished it. It was a pretty okay game.
>>
>>4222851
It's the worst game in the franchise easily.
Ff1 was a masterpiece by comparison
>>
>>4223173
>It's easy to fuck yourself over if you're not reading guides

You mean by not reading the manual and not having an understanding of basic game mechanics.

The problem is that people go into FF2 with the assumption that it's anything like later FF games when it's not.
>>
>>4222851

It's the first game in the series to focus on a scripted plot. The plot is rather dry by comparison, but there's a certain elegant simplicity to it that makes it much less insufferable than the fanfiction that was to come.

Mechanically, it's similar to Elder Scrolls. You attack shit and your attack power increases. Cast a spell and your magic power increases. And so on. There are no experience points or levels. Some people hated this approach.

Is it a worthwhile game? By the standards of when it was released, definitely. If you look at the game retrospectively after playing every other retro FF title, it might not hold up as well. Myself, I didn't play it until it was officially localized to English with the FF Origins release. I enjoyed it, and occasionally replay different versions of it.

Recommended? I would recommend playing the Origins version at least once. This version fixes most of the bugs that plagued the original Famicom release, and "easy mode" (which the game forces you to start with on your first playthrough) makes grinding a little less tedious by giving you faster weapon and spell proficiencies.
>>
>>4222851
I like the soundtrack in the game. One of Uematsu's most melancholic imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktPLOC6e6Y
>>
>>4224493
I don't think there's anywhere the game explains magic penalty to you. It's not unreasonable to assume your magic is useless simply because it's low level rather than because of your equipment.
>>
>>4224493
>>4224913
Even basic shit like the importance of Evade and the fact that a lot of equipment comes with so huge Evade penalties it completely cripples your characters is something you won't learn from the manual, nor will you really learn it from the game unless you actively experiment by having different characters use different types of equipment, since just tossing some light armor on an already crippled character won't help much.

This is usually why all the guides online suck, since they're written by people that never figured this stuff out.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.