[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amiga Shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: amiga500.jpg (86KB, 933x378px) Image search: [Google]
amiga500.jpg
86KB, 933x378px
Alright niggers, I finally got ahold of a Amiga 500+. What's some needed parts or games for the system? Looking at a Vampire 2 and network adapter right now, but don't know what else there is that's needed parts wise.
>>
>>4220248
Captive :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVc9Tah8qSE
It's a pretty good dungeon crawler.
Also, for how much did you get it?
>>
>>4220301
30 at a yard sale. Came with a fuck ton of stuff alongside it, since they didn't know what to do with it.
>>
>>4220305
Nice.

When it comes to recommendations, don't bother with shit like Turrican and other stuff. There are a whole lot of good amiga games, but many of the games that get recommended aren't.
If you are into RPGs, you might want to try shit like the amber series too.
>>
>>4220318
I'll look into it.
>>
>>4220318
>When it comes to recommendations, don't bother with shit like Turrican and other stuff.
>Don't bother
>instead of try yourself
>>
>>4220248
>>4220305
Should have just gone with a FPGA machine or an actual 600 or 1200.
Now you're going to spend almost as much and still have an inferior machine.

Network adapter is going to be shit, either a big PCB sticking out from the side or a parallel port one on the back, while 600 and 1200 both have PCMCIA.
Vampire II 500 is the cheapest option (performance per buck) for an accelerator, but with OCS it's pretty useless and buggy SAGA on the Vampire, you will just end up with a whole glorified system on an FPGA that will basically just use the A500 keyboard, could have gotten a MIST instead for that and saved a lot of money.
>>
>>4220969
Pretty much this
>>
>>4220978
Yeah, I knew I wasn't the only one seeing what a dumb choice that was.
>>
>>4220969
He got a 500+ which is actually ECS, not OCS.
>Should have just gone with a FPGA machine
That would have costed way more than what he got. An Amiga 600 or 1200 would have been an actually better choice, but still, 500 and 500+ machines can still be nice hobby machines.
>>
>>4221069
>That would have costed way more than what he got.
No, his Amiga with a Vampire will cost more than just a MIST. While not being much more useful in the end.
He's talking about buying expansions, we aren't talking about a stock A500+ here.
>>
>>4220248
Honstly, I would not bother with getting a FPGA accelerator unless you want to run AGA software on it, and even then there isn't a lot of AGA stuff out there that isn't also OCS or ECS. Try to find a Kipper2K board so you can have an internal hard drive, or even an ACA500. Then upgrade the Kickstart to 3.1 so the Amiga can boot off a Hard drive without a boot disk installed.

I would also get a floppy disk emulator, an adapter to hook the FD emulator externally (they have them on Amiga Kit), and get antiquated with WHD load.

Or you can just avoid all that, just install a FD emulator into DF0, and run Amiga games off a USB stick. The majority of Amiga game titles were made with the A500 in mind with 1meg of ram, and the more demanding apps were meant for the Big Box Amigas like 2000, 3000 and 4000.

Also REMOVE THE BARREL BATTERY!!!!!!!!!! That thing pops and it kills the Amiga.
>>
>>4221310
>I would not bother with getting a FPGA accelerator unless you want to run AGA software on it
SAGA dosen't work for most stuff

>and even then there isn't a lot of AGA stuff out there that isn't also OCS or ECS.
actually no, a lot of things require at least AGA, even better if Picasso or RTG.

>The majority of Amiga game titles were made with the A500 in mind with 1meg of ram, and the more demanding apps were meant for the Big Box Amigas like 2000, 3000 and 4000.
half of the games are made with A500 in mind, the other half is AGA and others, obviously a /vr/ babby isn't interested in running Quake on his Amiga anyways, even when nice first person AGA shooters also exist that you won't be able to play
you're forgetting that the 1200 was a far more popular machine then even a 4000, most of the other half of software runs fine on a stock or barely expanded 1200, except the newer
>>
Only suggested the Vampire as it was the one card that kept coming up for use with the Amiga nowadays. For the entry fee of 30, spending a little more to have something moderately fine is acceptable. Just learning how to upgrade and maintain the fucker is fun.

Hell, Lemmings alone is worth the price of admission alone anyway.
>>
>>4220969
This, without AGA an accelerator is useless apart from jacking off to benchmaks or run demos, get yourself a gotek, a 16gb pendrive and play all the games from there, most of the games run fine on that hardware and the 500+ comes with 1mb from factory so you are much pretty much set already.
>>
File: 1503514447570.png (168KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1503514447570.png
168KB, 500x500px
>anon gets a hold on decent Amiga hardware at a fucking amazing bargrain
>/vr/ complains he should get much more expensive model or a fucking FPGA
>>
>>4221779
>decent Amiga
>asks about upgrades
>turns out it's not that decent at all
>hurr /vr/ why are you so mean
>>
>>4221779
Well, 30 bucks is a good deal, here in yuropoor land they go for 50€, he got it for half of that! What a lucky son of a bitch.
>>
>>4221393
Most of my software runs fine on my 500. Don't even have to use my 4000. Most of the time.
>>
>>4221846
>Most of MY software runs fine on my 500
Nobody is saying Amiga 500 does not have software/games.
>>
>>4221849
Just saying. If he wanted to go AGA, a raspberry pi running Amibian is a very good option as NTSC 1200s are expensive as tits, and PAL ones are expensive as tits to ship.
>>
>>4220248
you don't need a Vampire 2 or a network adapter. You DO need this:
- a working floppy drive, better even a second working external drive
- a shitton of pirated games on floppy disks
- a floppy emulator drive
- a working competition pro joystick in good condition
- an adequate commodore monitor like the 1084S with an RGB-cable to connect it

Have fun.
>>
You need to decide what you want to do with this thing, anon. Do you just want to play old games? if so you don't really need to buy much at all, save a floppy emulator to stop wear and tear. If you want AGA games then naturally you're out of luck without the Vampire.
You talk about expansions - what are you actually going to DO with it? You can end up spending a fuck ton of cash on Amiga stuff to ultimately find yourself with basically a less compatible year 1999 level (i.e. useless) PC that can play Amiga games.
Did you own an Amiga before? There's still fun to be had, but if not I can see the novelty lasting significantly less time...
>>
>>4220248

I know it's already been said but did you remove the battery yet? Because if you didn't it's already eating your mobo.
>>
>>4222012
Vampire is way ahead of a "1999 level PC" already
>>
>>4222040
Absolutely worthless if all you want to do is play sweet Amiga games.
>>
>>4222046
I also want to shitpost and listen to my own tunes while playing sweet Amiga games, all on the same machine.
>>
>>4222017
Doing it right now.
>>4222012
Primarily want to play old Amiga games, as well as using it as a general work PC.
>>
>>4222691
>as well as using it as a general work PC.
Then it's not going to be a pleasant experience.
>>
>>4223512
Mainly writing things than general multimedia. Vampire 2 could probably assist in playing music or shit whilst do so, the reason I know of it.
>>
>>4223741
If it's mostly writting stuff while playing music then you don't need a vampire, mod players like hippoplayer should work on a stock amiga 500, but a hard drive controller should be something you'd really like to have.
There are quite a few SCSI and IDE controller schematics floating around and those are really cheap to make (not all of them will allow you to boot automatically from an HDD though).
>>
>>4223975
What are you going to do? Use Blitz BASIC?
>>
>>4224637
>Blitz BASIC
More like Master SEKA assembler.
>>
>>4225820
I doubt someone who has to ask stupid questions on /vr/ is going to use that straight off the bat.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.