[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this thing good for emulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

File: 1200px-Wii-console.jpg (118KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Wii-console.jpg
118KB, 1200x1200px
is this thing good for emulation
>>
Yes it emulates a vibrator flawlessly. Just ask your mother about it.
>>
Best cost benefit relation if you can find one for 50 bucks
>>
>>4218326
It's excellent for it. If you don't want to get into the technical side of emulation and just want something that is "very good" it's the way to go.
>>
>>4218362
can it do arcade games
>>
>>4218363
anyone know wat emulators are good and wat arent http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Emulators_on_Wii
>>
>>4218326
yeah it's good
>>4218340
no it doesn't, the d-pad rips your colon tissue and makes it bleed
>>4218363
not really, mame on it is horrible. but it has virtual console arcade games that run good.
>>4218375
use this http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators
>>
>>4218326
You can find them at thrift shops for about 20 dollars. Provided you also can get the sensor bar and some controllers of some kind, it's about as cheap if not cheaper than a retro-pi setup. My wii can play anything up to the 16 bit era. Anything 32bit and higher will lag. I'd say it's worth a pick up if you want a decent emulation machine.
>>
Wii Homebrew makes it the best emulation box out there. But remember that no matter what you use, N64 emulation is going to suck dick and the Saturn scene is in it's infancy.
>>
>>4218393

Mame is horrible but FBA can run quite a lot that isn't RAM intensive.
>>
>>4218393
>no it doesn't, the d-pad rips your colon tissue and makes it bleed
Thank God there are 3rd party controllers from other systems that work great with it and feel nice.
>>
>>4218763
adapters are better, atari/genesis/nes/snes to wii adapters exist, all in one single adapter
you can use original controllers
>>
>>4218393
Retroarch has the FBA cores that run tons of arcade titles very well.
>>
>>4218765
God bless you, Anon.
>>
>>4218326
It's what I use with my CRT. I've had zero problems with pretty much everything I've thrown at it. Native support for GCN and Wii games doesn't hurt either.
>>
>>4218326
Yeah but only if you need to use it with a CRT. If you use an HDTV just get a Raspberry Pi 3.
>>
>>4220110
>Yeah but only if you need to use it with a CRT.
Not OP, but I did have a question I figured was illegal in /vr/:

My tv does not have component, only svideo. Does this matter/Should this matter? It is a crt.
>>
>>4220125
The Wii supports S-Video as well while the RasPi only supports Composite and HDMI, so the Wii would still be the better choice.
>>
I use mine for nes/snes. Works gud. I havent been able to get the wii flow masterpiece front end to work though. Lags trying to play n64. Use VC for n64 and arcade. You can find at thrift shops for ~$30.
>>
>>4218326
No. Too much input lag.
>>
File: Zw468as.png (487KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
Zw468as.png
487KB, 479x720px
>>4220620
>>
>>4220624
What?
>>
It's good enough, but you won't get PS1 or Saturn.
>>
>>4220576

>I havent been able to get the wii flow masterpiece front end to work though.

What part of it is it that's not working? Constant loop of the Wiiflow logo?
>>
>>4220620
You have to be some hypersensitive fuck to notice the input lag produced by emulators on the Wii over 240p on a CRT TV. You're not Dio, you're just a greasy old fuck.
>>
Can Wiiflow play games directly on RetroArch cores or is that too much?
>>
>>4220832
It keeps crashing on me when i try to go to source menu. Im not sure if i have the latest version. Most of the links I find now are dead.

I dont have to have it, but it would make it a lot easier for my kids to find games to play.
>>
>>4220837
He might have like a Classic Controller or something else plugged into the Wiimote versus plugging into the GC ports. That'll introduce somewhat noticeable lag on the input side even if your output side is low lag.
>>
>>4220913
I guess. PS3 controllers over USB work too anyways.
>>
File: IMG_5307.png (671KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5307.png
671KB, 2048x1536px
>>4220135
I have something similar to this. Not as pricey.
>>
>>4220917
Wait a sec, I thought the Wii did not support third party controllers over USB?

What other kinds of controller work over USB with emulators?
>>
>>4220950
You have to put the autoconfig folder of Windows Retroarch on the folder where boot.dol is for RA, then switch the HID input driver in the options.

Not sure which other USB controllers work, but the PS3 controller does if you use a miniUSB cable. Not over bluetooth.
>>
>>4220892

The latest is WiiFlow_v4.2.3_Nintendont_MasterMod_Pack_Full_2016.7z, is that the one you have? I can upload my copy if it isn't.

The source menu in particular is a pain in the ass, if you want to self-diagnose it take a look in the source_menu.ini and cross reference it with magic numbers.txt to make sure everything checks out. You could also try installing the latest regular Wiiflow (https://code.google.com/archive/p/open-wiiflow-mod/downloads), check that runs and move over what you'd like from the Masterpiece pack.
>>
>>4220965
That's very interesting. Does that mean something like in the pic could work if it complies with HID standards? That would save me the cost of ordering from raphnet.

Also, never bothered with retroarch on the Wii as it sounded like too much of a hassle as separate emulators already did all I wanted. How does it compare to the individual emulators (e.g. FCE Ultra GX, Snes9x GX and Visual Boy Advance GX) performance-wise? Is there any lag/stutter? How are the menus/other features (240p, savestates, screen options, etc)?
>>
>>4220110
>>4220125
>>4220135
>>4220937
The RPi and most of those downscalers won't output a 240p signal; they're 480i only and probably tear if the input isn't precisely 59.97hz. The Wii can actually do proper noninterlaced 240p.
>>
>>4221237

For NES there's a negligible difference overall, Snes9x-next is a big improvement over regular GX though - no lag or stutter no matter what special chip games you throw at it. mGBA is miles ahead of VBAGX whether on retroarch or in its standalone version. All retroarch cores can do 240p and savestates, though the GUI is pretty annoying.
>>
>>4221237
I couldn't be sure. I tried both a Logitech Precision and a Twin USB adapter (some blue one for PS1/2 gamepads) and both did not work.
>>
A modded Wii U is better for emulation than a modded Wii imo. I would argue that VC injection on the Wii U is the best method of emulation.
>You get to use the Wii U Pro controller which is far better than any controller option you have on the Wii
>The compatibility of SNES titles on the VC is much higher. https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_Snes_injection
>GBA compatibility is almost perfect, and is almost indistinguishable from using a GB player. https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_GBA_injection
>TG16, N64, and NDS VC injection is also available, although of course compatibility is still an issue with the N64 VC.
>Every 3rd party emulator you can get on the Wii you can also get on the Wii U, and with better performance/graphical output due to native HDMI

The only downside: NES VC on the Wii U is inferior to the Wii's NES VC. Darker colors, shit doesn't quite look right.

For everything other than NES though, a Wii U is far superior to a Wii.
>>
>>4221237
For GBA: emGBA. Not normal mGBA. Reason being, it has a nice border (customizable) so you don't have to stretch the thing.

NES/SNES/PCE: RetroArch

Genesis/Master System/Sega CD: Genesis Plus GX standalone
>>
Found one for twenty dollars once and you really can't get a better deal. Though, you're going to want to get another controller other than the wiimote. It will serve it's purpose for nes games somewhat, but almost nothing else.
>>
>>4218356
I've found several for $10.
>>4220620
Hardwired controllers all but eliminate it
>>4221237
Most of the standalone emulators are a better choice, since Retroarch on the Wii is buggy as fuck and an enormous pain in the ass to configure. A few cores in RA are better than standalone options due to 240p support. The Stella port for Wii doesn't support 240p, but the 2600 core in RA can do it.
>>4221317
No 240p support on Wii U.
>>
>>4221317
>The only downside: NES VC on the Wii U is inferior to the Wii's NES VC. Darker colors, shit doesn't quite look right.

Actually, even then you can still mod the vWii on a Wii U and get VC Wii games on it. So there really is no downside to owning a modded Wii U over a modded Wii, unless you prefer to play on a CRT rather than upscaled HD.
>>
>>4221317
The whole point of the Wii is the 240p for CRT use, if you see "native HDMI" as a plus, you might as well just get a Raspberry Pi, you lose better 64 and NDS emulation, but you get full speed PSX and you have more choice of controllers, plus I think at the moment it's also a cheaper option.
>>
>>4221348
Not to mention that the VC emulators on the Wii U aren't even HD, so there's really no advantage at all over using a Wii with an HDMI adapter if you want to use it on an LCD. I loved my Wii U very much, but between the power brick, gamepad, and gamepad power brick, it's extremely cumbersome compared to even the fairly cumbersome Wii. I actually unhacked the vWii on my Wii U and packed it away when I found a Wii at the goodwill for $10, it's just smaller and easier, and I can use it on my CRT or my HDTV easily.
>>
>>4221309
>>4221313
>>4221318
>>4221326
Thanks for the replies, everyone. So, overall, getting the raphnet cables (NES/SNES to GC) should be the better option, because it gives me the flexibility to use them with any emulator, right? I understand that they introduce some minuscule lag because they have to process the serial output of the controller before it is sent to the console, but that should hardly be noticeable, right? (Especially when using the wired adapters).
>>
>>4221317
Wii U can't do 240p. The main reason of the Wii.
Also it's no point in making things overly complicated and controller adapters exist, nobody wants to use a Pro controller anyways.

Also, we aren't talking about VC, we are talking about actual emulators.
>>
>>4221260
RPi3 does 240p. Update your memes.
>>
>>4221374

Yeah they should work with all emulators, the lag is definitely minuscule wired, I don't pick it up. The wireless versions are about the same as anything Wiimote based i.e. not great.
>>
>>4221391

It 'does 240p' only after you buy an analog adapter to stick into it. On top of all the other shit you'll be buying like controller adapters it's not really worth it, especially seeing as there's still input lag at a software level they haven't eliminated. Don't say there isn't as the Pi emu developers have literally wrote entire essays on it.
>>
>>4221374
Yeah, it should hardly be noticeable and there's likely some additional overhead related to using USB controllers that might well cause as much or more similar delay. I'm not sure exactly how the gamecube adapters work but they probably don't completely decode and recode the serial signal rather they just have their own clock and transcode on the fly which would be simpler and faster.
>>
>>4221418
The composite output does 240p. I'm not gonna argue for it's merits, just trying to correct misconceptions.
>buy an analog adapter to stick into it.
If you're talking about RGB, it's literally just a couple resistors. You can easily make one if you really want to.
>>
>>4221364
>Not to mention that the VC emulators on the Wii U aren't even HD, so there's really no advantage at all over using a Wii with an HDMI adapter if you want to use it on an LCD.
Not quite, but the Wii U internally de-interlaces the 480i/240i picture of its VC titles so that it's cleanly and quickly upscaled by modern TVs. Adding an upscaler to a Wii would likely introduce more lag than what the Wii U is doing to upscale its content.

You are right about the Wii U having a much more cumbersome power/space footprint, although if you are using an upscaler with you Wii, I would argue that it's about the same.

>>4221378
>nobody wants to use a Pro controller anyways.
What issues does the Pro controller have when it comes to playing retro games? I've been using it quite a lot for the past few years and it's really nice. The d-pad and buttons feel just as comfy as using a SNES controller.

>Also, we aren't talking about VC, we are talking about actual emulators.
VC is an "actual" emulator, and besides that, every emulator that works on the Wii also works on the Wii U.

On that note, I actually prefer going to the trouble of injecting the roms of my favorite games into VC titles, because it makes it feel much more authentic and satisfying than loading them through a 3rd party emulator. I know that my save files on the VC are always going to be right there on the console, whereas with 3rd party emulators the save files are stored on SD and I could forget which emulator has which save if I'm using different emulators for different games.

I just wanted to bring up Wii U as an option because it really is an excellent emulation machine if you don't care about CRT, and you don't think the Pro Controller is bad (seriously what is bad about it? I can't think of a better controller for retro emulation)
>>
>>4221513
>What issues does the Pro controller have when it comes to playing retro games?
Why should you if you can use an original controller?
>>
>>4221513
>VC is an "actual" emulator
No, we aren't talking about "official emulators" for Nintendo that's Virtual Console. But actual homebrew emulators. You know, the ones that are called "emulators" and not "Virtual Consoleā„¢".
>>
>>4221452
>If you're talking about RGB, it's literally just a couple resistors. You can easily make one if you really want to.
That's doing composite into RGB, not pure RGB
Actual RGB would require a little more then just resistors, like a RGB DAC, you can get them as separate boards
http://www.retrotink.com/
>>
>>4221427
It's actually all open source, so maybe you can figure out how it works and tell me if there's any delay, Bangalore Tramps.

I for one can't because I'm clueless about electronics.

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/x2wii/index_en.php
>>
>>4221526
What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with the composite output.
>Actual RGB would require a little more then just resistors, like a RGB DAC, you can get them as separate boards
The resistor ladder is a DAC....
You knew that, right?
>>
>>4221513
The Wii U is just scaling the 480p output of the vWii into whatever setting you have your Wii U set to, the good Wii2HDMI adapters output straight 480p over HDMI, so if your television is even decent the scaling and lag times are largely identical. I'm not talking about using a standalone upscaler box with the Wii, just a dongle. The gamepad and gamepad dock are what really make the Wii U cumbersome, in addition to the larger size of the console itself. The HDMI adapter on a Wii just sticks out the back, it doesn't really add to the footprint.
>>
>>4221575
I have one of those cheap Wii2HDMI adapters and the only issue they have is they get really hot, but aside from that there's pretty much no lag. Played TTYD quite nicely.
>>
File: QuestionCat.gif (83KB, 371x388px) Image search: [Google]
QuestionCat.gif
83KB, 371x388px
Is there a reason not to buy a cheap 5$ RGB/SCART cable for the Wii from aliexpress?

I don't buy into this whole "a good cable must be handwoven by Tibetan nuns during a new moon so it's natural they cost 50$"-scam.
>>
>>4221582
I've heard that from many /vr/ers but mine doesn't get worryingly hot, just kind of warm. There's like 4,000 versions of these things though so who knows. I was actually blown away at how the lag on my Wii rig actually improved over Component when I bought the Wii2HDMI. I thought for sure I would get cleaner video and more lag and I just got better video and less lag. For $4 on AliExpress I can't recommend them enough if you bounce between a CRT and an HDTV with a hacked Wii.
>>4221584
Really cheap RGB/Component cables for the can Wii have shielding issues, you might get noise. If you're using a CRT you're probably fine, but if you're using an LCD you're likely see the noise more apparently. If you are using an LCD, see the above section of my post.
>>
>>4221584
Some of those cables won't have the pin 16 wired or use just composite video over it. Pretty skeptical since I bought multiple cables like that.
>>
>>4221584
Buy the Wii A/V connector make make your own.
The thing with chink RGB cables is, that usually they either:
- cheap out, the cables have horrible shielding, break easily
- wire something wrong (I've had cables that had signal into ground and signal ground into signal switched in the cable or the caps where soldered wrong)
- it's just a composite/s-video cable not true RGB
>>
>>4220913
I alternate between classic controller/pro and my gamecube controllers and honestly cant notice any lag. If its there its probably adding like 1 frame of lag
>>
>>4221023
The one I have is labeled:
> Wiiflow Nintendont Master Pack v4.3.zip
> md5: D8BFC64A52899CAF068F003BA6289920

I think it may be missing something.
>>
>>4218326

What is the best gameboy/gbc/gba emulator for wii? Visual Boy Advance GX?
>>
File: Two-thumbs-up__44.jpg (42KB, 620x455px) Image search: [Google]
Two-thumbs-up__44.jpg
42KB, 620x455px
>>4221023
>>4222123

I searched for the filename you posted and finally found a good link. Yeah I was missing a lot. I will see what I can do with this one.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>4222207
Mednafen
>>
File: Bird considering your offer.jpg (117KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Bird considering your offer.jpg
117KB, 1024x1024px
From what I understand, PAL Wiis can output RGB, but not S-Video, the reverse is true for NTSC Wiis.

However, this difference is entirely due to software and not hardware.

How can I output S-Video on a PAL Wii for emulation purposes? Is it a setting that is accessible via emulator menus, or do I have to change the Wiis region via anyRegion changer?
>>
>>4223810

PAL RGB settings are accessible in the emulator menu for nes, snes and genesis I know for sure
>>
>>4223846
Yeah, but the system menu (and I guess also the homebrew channel) will still be RGB and not S-Video, which makes getting into the respective emulators kinda inconvenient.
>>
>>4223938

Why would you want s video? Just use rgb
>>
>>4223991
I'm looking at some cheap small meme tubes and other """high-grade""" monitors, some of which don't have RGB inputs, only S-Video. I wouldn't mind the difference in signal quality, and certainly won't notice.
>>
>>4224008

Wouldn't you still be able to use composite to navigate menus and then switch to s video in the emulator menu. Pal wiis use sync on composite, so I'd imagine this is possible
>>
what would happen if i rgb modded a pi and then plugged it into a framemeister to hdtv?
>>
>>4225513
You'd feel very foolish.
>>
>>4225513
You'd have wasted a bunch of money to increase input lag.
>>
>>4225542
well youd have to admit it would be an interesting experiment
>>
No, it's good for a bonfire.
>>
>>4226907
it's like you're not even trying, anon.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.