[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lords of the Realm 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

Anyone remember this gem? I got it off of Steam, because my disc cracked years ago, and I am playing the shit out of it. The Lords Of Magic thread reminded me of it.

Favorite maps? Units?
>>
>>4218128
Were I the only one?
>>
>>4218128
I played it, but it's been so long I barely remember the mechanics. Enjoyed it while I did though. I enjoyed the castle battles a lot.
>>
>>4218128
I've never heard of this before, looks cool as fuck. What exactly does the gameplay consist of?
>>
>>4218128
Played a lot of it when I was a kid. Really liked the rts battles but the turn based stuff wore on me after awhile.
>>
>>4218128
It was absolutely great. My pc was quite weak and I could evade arrows with an archer unit.
>>4218395
>>4218409
You make money and food from peasants, order smith to make weapons and recruit troops with said weapons.
You can upgrade your towns from palisade to big castles, and your task is basically conquer other provinces.
Battles are in real time, you can environment to your advantage, there's a lot of maps with rivers/woods and other obstacles. I think it's similar to total war series, but I haven't played it since first shogun.
>>
>>4218128
The music and the voices of this game are etched in my brain. It was very cool for a strategic game in the 90s with all the choices you could make and the castles you could build when you had enough gold and materials.

Is it also on GOG and if so, does it work on Windows 7 and beyond?
>>
>>4218546
I got it on Steam, and it works on my Win10 PC.
>>
>>4218395
As >>4218395 put it, I haven't played it in 10 years too, so my memory is pretty hazy.

I remember ranged units with a soild front line were pretty OP when you tricked the AI in gullets. I digged the economic system with cultures and cattle as I had lived in the countryside. It felt super comfy

>>4218546
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvL8kcFLOrY
>>
>>4218128
Great game. Probably my second most played game of the era behind the bitmap brothers' z

The pc gamer demo disk had
Diablo
Z
Lords of the realm 2
>>
>>4218128

I remember playing this as a kid and I wanted to play it again but couldn't remember the name so had no idea how to find it. Thank you so much for posting it I've been looking for it for so long.

How can I obtain this game and play it?
>>
>>4218128
I had a boxset of this game back in the day, had all the installments including some extra discs like one that was castle siege only, my favorite after LotR 2

nice to see someone mention it, battles that didnt involve castles looked and played like crap but the world map and the game mechanics involved were really good. It took me a while until I got it, but when I did everything clicked, loads of fun
>>
>>4219832
You're welcome. Steam is how I got it again.
>>
>>4219832
GOG has it
>>
Post your favorite strategy

Royal Castle siege:
300 macemen to the top right corner
300 macemen to the bottom left corner
heavy slow guys in front of the drawbridge
send catapults to the left wall to breech 4-5 spaces wide
Top-right macemen start digging in corner to draw archers
Bottom-left macemen start digging in front of breech to make a path
Pull back to the corner whenever the archers do too much damage
Heavy infantry dig in front of draw bridge to make oil spill, then retreat until all oil is gone
Eventually get the breech and moat full on the left wall and in front of draw-bridge
Send battering ram to destroy drawbridge and then loop around the side through the breech to destroy the keep door
use the battering ram to block the defenders
send macemen to rush through the drawbridge to the flag

This beats the computer on any difficulty and really fucks with human opponents. They can usually block the battering ram, but if you outnumber them you can just hit the doors with your macemen and pull it off
>>
>>4218128
I played LotRII for the first time a year ago, and as a Stronghold fan it felt very very similar aesthetically to those games. Came to find out that the key guys from Impressions are the same guys that founded Firefly. Seriously, the game has the exact same unit selection as Stronghold and the voices are similar too. Great game.
>>
>>4218128
As a kid I would have 1000 archers and 250 some swordsmen or pikemen.
Archers were OP until the expansion.

Later I learned "buy mercenaries, make maces not just bows, and sell cows regularly. "
>>
I enjoy the game, but with proper management you eventually become invincible and the PC can't touch you. It gets to the point where you have enough cows to feed people with cheese alone and are getting years worth of food stockpiled at a time, and pulling peasants to work in your army just to burn off their numbers. At that point you just start flooding the enemy with consecutive armies of crossbowmen and knights, and they can't seem to keep up.

It kinda reminds me of Aerobiz Supersonic. Seems cool for a while, then you realize how easy it is to completely break the game.
>>
>>4220160
In the first LotR, you could make an army of 100 peasants, then split it into 10 peasant chunks then attack a 1000 man army with them. If you choose to auto battle, those 10 peasants become death with pitchforks and will kill over a hundred men, whether they're fellow peasants or freaking knights.
>>
>>4218609
>this is the weirdest sh*t I've ever done
>>
>>4218128
I beat the shit out of that game. Have it on Steam now, still play it.
>>
>>4220564
Oh Longbow-man. Macemen "Forward!", Knights. Map really don't have a fav.
>>
>>4218128
It was the first game I ever played. My older brother forced me to play it when I was 4 years old, instead of putting me in front of Super Mario or something.

Fuckin bastard
>>
>>4218128
Shit yeah I remember this game! I tried going for the diplomatic victory all the time because the combat/war mode made no sense to me as a kid. Top tier voice acting and sarcasm. I remember the manual being a good read.
>>
>>4218128
Oh yes, I played it incessently back in the day.

Macemen are pretty objectively the best unit for their price, and are great at everything except castle assaults.

>>4218409
You have turn based strategic level decisions, mostly in the form of how much cattle to raise and crops to plant; you build an economy with an eye to raising troops, which you use to eliminate the other players. Battles and sieges are done in real time.

>>4218546
I have the GoG version, and it works fine on a modern machine.
>>
>>4218128
I am old enough that I was around when it came out. I had never played it though. Picked it up on Steam and tried it a couple months back.

Couldn't figure it out. Seems cool though.
>>
>>4222198
>Couldn't figure it out.
Are you just stupid then? As a child I could understand the game.
>>
Aw man, I missed a Lords of Magic thread?
>>
>>4222745
Wrong game, mongoloid.
>>
>>4222867
Literally the first post.

>Anyone remember this gem? I got it off of Steam, because my disc cracked years ago, and I am playing the shit out of it. The Lords Of Magic thread reminded me of it.

Reading comprehension, child. If you're going to be a shit lord, at least be a smart shit lord.
>>
File: 1503267583293.jpg (10KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
1503267583293.jpg
10KB, 220x331px
>>4222205
>>
File: IMG_0655.png (446KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0655.png
446KB, 401x401px
> advanced farming enabled lets you get a fuckton more grain than babby farming
> after 6 seasons my peasants are fat and happy off of triple rations and max ale
> always ally the retard knight and bribe him to attack someone strong so I can swoop in and take his shit after his shitty army dies
> gut the counties I have no interest in keeping, draft every peasant and send them to my beefy county and make a big fucking 3k army
> spam pikemen + bows and slowly steamroll everything

I have the CD still but can't get it to install/play so I bought it from STEEM
>>
>>4224237
Play it on the higher difficulties; and play with armies eat.

Then you're more likely to get

>Advanced farming ensures that you never have enough people in between plagues and needing to conscript to actually bring in your harvest
>And that's when you're not getting fields flooding or baking.
>>
I ended up getting steamrolled while I was trying to figure out how farming worked.
>>
>>4224254

Argh I know, it's just that I hate having to constantly repair fields. It is fun to park your army in a rivals county and eat all their food. If you fight near river/water tiles you may get a decent choke point battlemap where you can roll 4 lines of pikemen deep backed by archers

When I get back to my computer I'm trying this shit out
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.