[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to expand my GB (not GBC) library, any good suggestions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (949KB, 608x997px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
949KB, 608x997px
Looking to expand my GB (not GBC) library, any good suggestions?

>on my radar:
>Pokemon Trading Card Game 2
>Trip World
>Kid Dracula
>Mole Mania
>Gargoyle's Quest
>Castlevania: The Adventure
>Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
>Castlevania Legends
>Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
>Avenging Spirit
>The Final Fantasy Legend
>Final Fantasy Legend II
>Final Fantasy Legend III
>Rolan's Curse
>Rolan's Curse II
>The Sword of Hope
>The Sword of Hope II

>own:
>Pokemon Red
>Final Fantasy Adventure
>Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
>Mega Man Xtreme
>Kirby's Dreamland
>Q-Billion
>Pokemon Trading Card Game
>Kirby's Dreamland 2
>Pokemon Silver
>Super Mario Land 2
>Wario Land 2
>Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
>Super Mario Land
>>
>>4217959
Most of these games are great, but on the expensive side as far as Gameboy games go. And unless you read Japanese, Pokemon TCG2 won't be very fun which is unfortunate as it's my favorite game of the ones you mentioned. I'd suggest buying a flash cart instead so you can realistically play them all and get translations for some Japanese exclusives.
>>
>>4217959
Holy fuck I always wanted Rolan's Curse when I was a kid but never could get a hold of a copy and must have forgotten about it for 20+ years before this thread thanks for reminding me.
>>
>Pokemon Trading Card Game 2
This spinoff series is shit. Honestly. Unless you've already played it and decided you do indeed think it's worth owning, I wouldn't bother.
>Trip World
This is just hipster food. The game has a great art direction, but the gameplay is typical platforming fare. It's also quite short. By the way, you can get a repro cart of this dirt cheap if you simply wish to play it. Try AliExpress.
>Kid Dracula
Incredibly niche. I'm not sure even the most diehard CV fans can force themselves to like this game. Hopefully you've already played it before deciding to purchase it.
>Mole Mania
This is more of the type of game you should be looking for, because the gameplay and content are deep enough that you'll get your money's worth.
>Gargoyle's Quest
Great game, but pretty expensive on the reseller market. Also fits the "Nintendo Hard" trope. It's essentially a Mega Man reskin.
>Castlevania
Adventure and Belmont's Revenge are both ludicrously slow-paced. Your character walks slower than a decrepit old man. Legends is a rather low-budget afterthought to the other two GB games. The writing is so terrible, I think the game was actually removed from the series' canon.
>Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Did you like the first game? It's basically a ROM hack of that. Everything except the level layouts is the same.
>The Final Fantasy Legend
Now we're talking. The first two have a lot of replay value since you can experiment with different class combinations. The third game does away with all of that and forces you to use scripted characters with their own backstories.
>Rolan's Curse
It's like an under-budgeted Zelda. I did not enjoy these games at all.
>The Sword of Hope
The mechanics are rather poorly fleshed out. Your own magic spells turn around and hit you instead of your enemies.
>>
>>4217959
>any good suggestions?

I don't see any shoot-'em-ups on that list. Is that not a preferred genre? Look into Nemesis and Gradius: Interstellar Assault if that's up your alley.

Do you like Bomberman? There's a bunch of these for classic GB: Atomic Punk, Wario Blast, Bomberman GB, Pocket Bomberman, Bomberman Quest (an action-adventure spinoff similar to Zelda)

No Metroid II? It's entirely linear, unlike the first game, but it's nonetheless worth your time.

Do you care for Dragon Quest? There's a port of DQ I&II in a single cartridge. (Yes, this is compatible with classic GB since it's a dual-mode cart)

Do you like Tetris or any of its many spinoffs? There's Tetris 2, which is similar to Sega Columns. There's also Tetris Blast, which was called Bombliss in Japan.

There are many Kirby spinoffs that debuted on GB, including Blockball and Star Stacker. Both are worth checking out. I didn't care as much for Kirby's take on pinball, however.
>>
>>4218018
Which megaman game is like gargoyles quest???
>>
Mercenary Force
Kwirk
Super R.C. Pro-Am
>>
a translation of for frog the bell tolls (wierd rpg running off the link's awakening engine)

survival kids(rpg)

kid dracula(platformer)

donkey kong(puzzle platformer)
>>
>>4218695
Fuck, you reminded me of Survival kids. Thank you anon.

>>4218029
Metroid II is getting a modernized remake on a current gen platform, so playing or owning the gameboy version would be redundant.

>>4217974
TCG2 is fully translated, and distributed as a repro at a fairly cheap price, so it's not an issue. But I'll think about it since an anon said it's a shit game.

>>4218018
>This is just hipster food.
I'm a sucker for shapeshifting anon, and Gimmick! was one of my favourite famicom games.
>>
>>4218724
The translation is machine translator aided and wrong as fuck a lot of places.
>>
>>4217959
Battletoads is really good. Completely original game in the same spirit as the NES game, as opposed to the reimaginings/remakes of the NES game most of the other titles in the series are.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.