[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shenmue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: shenmue_interview.jpg (265KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
shenmue_interview.jpg
265KB, 1280x720px
Is it as good as they say?
>>
File: solid snake.png (115KB, 540x645px) Image search: [Google]
solid snake.png
115KB, 540x645px
>>4216954
as good as they say?
>>
>>4216954
It's 7/10, 8/10 if you like these kinds of games.
>>
>>4216954
If you're playing for the 80s Japan kung fu movie atmosphere you'll have a blast. If you're playing for gameplay you'll grow bored of it before you get to the first gang fight.
>>
If you like to collect figmas, you'll love this game.
>>
>>4216954

It was great because it did a lot of things other games were not. Might not be so impressive by today's standards.
>>
This game pretty much embodies the "cinematic experience" of modern games that many people on /vr/ tend to hate. It's also the game that invented the term "quick time event" for mid-cutscene button prompts, and made it popular.
>>
>>4217195
They existed far longer than that. The real question is was there one before Dragon's Lair?
>>
>>4217218
QTE was the meat of the gameplay of DL though. Shenmue was the first to turn QTE into a minigame for cutscene interaction, which later games would copy off of. Also QTE's are cancer, I'd rather just skip the cutscene than have to play simon says through them. Fuck that noise.
>>
It's extremely immersive because it did shit not even modern devs bother with, but people called it a walking simulator even back then and they were kinda right. Can be really boring if you're not into that sort of thing.
>>
>>4216954
Yes, but as
>>4217160
said, the things that made it truly great aren't so impressive by today's standards. What made the game so impressive for the time is how open and "real" the in-game world seemed. It had great graphics (for the time), day/night cycles, NPCs who seemed to have their own routines, shops would open and close on schedule, and there were all sorts of things to explore and do (arcades, gashapon, side jobs, etc.). The game succeeded in creating the illusion of a living, breathing world for you to explore and live in while you go through Ryo's story.

In today's world of Fallouts, Elder Scrolls, Witchers, etc. these sorts of things won't be as impressive for a first time player.
>>
As a fan, I will say it's not for everyone. Bad controls, campy VA. The story also doesn't start going till the 2nd disc, so the 1st part of the game (which can take 6hrs if you know what you're doing) is useless aside from the opening.
>>
>>4216954
Of course it's good. I loved playing Shenmue, it was the greatest Dreamcast game of all time. The only people who hate it are casuals. ReviewTechUSA bashed on Shenmue because he himself is an autist gaming casual.
>>
>>4217240

Die Hard Arcade/ dynamite cop had qte before this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUPT70aAxKk

Anyway, shenmue is a alright game but it hasn't aged well, from the controls, to the va.
>>
>>4216954
This screenshot kind of sums it up. To me I find it compelling and fascinating, but I can also see why people wouldn't care for it.

It's a comfy story game with a SEGA flair. I personally find it a lot more interesting than metal gear solid at least.
>>
>>4216954
>i can't think for myself
Eat a bowl of dicks underage
>>
>>4218635
>Forbidden to ask questions before playing the actual game.
He is not a brainlet.
>>
>>4216954
Of course NOT

But when it was released was good (for the graphic)
>>
I love the level of detail in this game, almost every room and place is decorated with unique stuff. That kind of level of detail is rare in games.
>>
It's a slow paced noir detective style game with a martial arts movie dub. I enjoyed it when it came out but now I just see the game as a bunch of fetch quests with a storyline that doesn't go anywhere and still has no conclusion. Shenmue 2 fixed a lot of my problems making the detective work more difficult and giving us better characters and a great action climax.
>>
Nah. Hasn't aged well and it's a chore all around, but Sega fanboys are always overrating this game because "the dreamcast is perfect and misunderstood, the world wasn't ready for it".
Nah, it's not like you're the only person right in the world, the game was bad and boring. It failed FOR A REASON.
>>
Back then? yes, Impressive at the time and a game changer.

Today? It definitely has a charm but it's understandable if not everyone can enjoy it since most things have been copied and done better in more mainstream appealing games and the other cool things it does might be too niche for the average person.

With that said if you're in /vr/ chances are you might like those quirks that it has.
>>
>>4216968
this but Shenmue 2 is much better.
>>
>>4218639
>more dumb underageness
I stand by my original statement
>>
>>4216954
so good it destroyed sega
>>
File: IMG_4320.png (37KB, 863x411px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4320.png
37KB, 863x411px
>>4219373
>>
im playing through the first game right now for the first time. loved the first disc a lot, second was ok, now im kinda just trudging through the third. dont like how the third disc has a lot of waiting.

>go down to the pier
>hey i need a job
>ok come back tomorrow at noon
>have to find ways to kill in game time till next day
>get job
>moving boxes with a forklift
>wow so fun
>wish i was still running around town talking to people finding info on who killed my dad
>>
>not impressive by todays standards
>that Kowloon
>all those buildings
>all those explorable floors and rooms
>all those hidden secrets
>all those characters

And both games had timed and day related events, completely missable for many years until shenmuedojo and youtube started to show them off and gathering all the info all together, because until that point many had different experiences with Shenmue. Even faqs early 2000s never covered everything about Shenmue 1 events

>>4221232
Forklift racing was the thing in the 3rd disc though, as beating that gang.
At least in the 2nd game you could either wait or skip day until the event is available
>>
I have recently played Shenmue. I always read about it in the Dreamcast magazines, but never had the opportunity to play the game. I think the game is amazing, but the controls really took some time to get used to. The highly compressed, goofy voice acting is probably my #1 favorite thing about the game.
>>
>>4223439
YEARS AGO... I WAS CHINEEESE
>>
>>4216954

Its easy to bash on it for its weakness as a mainstream title, but it captures the gameplay of life in terms of interactivity, story themes and presentation. Shenmue 2 fixed some pacing issues with the ability to skip time segments for replay value, but the idea was to just experience the environment and enjoy the detail of everything in the world.

Having said that Yu Suzuki and Sega were fucking crazy for throwing so much money at such a non mainstream concept for a game, but its still a timeless classic for what it pulled off.
>>
File: yardworksimulator.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
yardworksimulator.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>Errybody HYPE for the Dreamcast
>Neighbor bro gets all the hits, crazy taxi, SA1, RE:CV, Blue Stinger, powerstone ect
>Shenmue is a hard to find game where Im from an has a cult like status reserved for the most devout of weaboos
>a year later
>huge Dreamcast liquidations at all your major retailers
>Bro cleans up and nearly completes his collection
>Snags a used copy of shenmue
>Me and my bros exited to no end
>Expect to a revolutionary game experience few dare dream of
>pic related
>>
It's a good game, but it's not for everyone.
>>
>still no HD versions of 1 and 2
>3 will be out either 2018 or 2019
>no carry system like Dreamcast 1 and 2

The Xbox version was already a pain starting with a shitty skills on the moves, missing some items you could get in 1 in special events, or capsules.

>>4223535
>HOW ABOUT A GAME OF LUCKY HIT?
>DO YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME OF LUCKY HIT?
>HOW ABOUT TRYING LUCKY HIT? the rules are...
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.