[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are the Taiyo Yuden CD-r now that CMC has bought them up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

How are the Taiyo Yuden CD-r now that CMC has bought them up?
>>
shit
/thread
bye
>>
>>4213108
Is there any evidence that they really are better than other disc manufactures?
>>
>>4213158
>Is there any evidence that they really are better than other disc manufactures?

I don't know if they're better, but you certainly have to go with Taiyo Yuden if you want burned PS1 games to work. For whatever reason, discs by any other manufacturer will stutter or not even boot. Yes, with proper burn settings too.
>>
>>4213194
This is completely false.
>>
>>4213194
I have no troubles at all with the random generic staples brand 50 pack with my psx. None at all. I burn at max speed, which is like 58x speed?...Its some Dvd dl laptop drive in a sff computer.

No issues. Games that can detect modified hardware work correct also.
>>
>>4213194
i've used garbage-tier blank CDs and they work 100% on my ps2 and ps1. If you can't boot backups on your ps1 it's probably your laser.
>>
>>4213108

I was just looking at buying a 100 stack as well.

In my experience, everything made by CMC is trash when it comes to PS1. Never tried ones like this that have the cyan bottom like the older TY products, though. I ended up just paying the extra $10 or so for the JVC branded ones I know work well for me.

>>4213207
>>4213268
>>4213681

Cheap CD-R discs worked for me, but the music would skip. No issues burning with the TY discs. I tried multiple burners and had the same result. Could be laser.
>>
I'd be interested hearing from someone who's used the JVC and the CMC ones. Need to buy another cake box and the CMC variety is way cheaper.
>>
>>4216113
IMO it seems to matter more what console you are burning discs for. For instance: My Dreamcast and Neo Geo CD accepts any discs while my PCE CD and 3DO are more picky
>>
>>4216246
How's the PS1?
>>
>>4216741
Funny enough the only one I don't burn discs for
>>
>>4213108
No need for Taiyo Yuden now that there are ODEs
>>
>>4216979
Not for Playstation there isn't.
>>
They're about the same quality as the old JVC branded CD-Rs, definitely way better than all the garbage CMC usually makes
>>
>>4213108
Still overpriced meme shit
>>
>>4217115
Ps-io but right now it's more expensive than just getting a cracked psp go connected to crt.
>>
>>4213194
>you certainly have to go with Taiyo Yuden if you want burned PS1 games to work

Or you just need a PS1 that doesn't have a broken disc drive, which is admittedly extremely rare.
>>
>>4217952
Yeah, there's only a few million ¥500 ones lest. kek
>>
>Taiyo (((Yuden)))
>>
>>4217950
PSIO is not an ODE.
>cracked psp go connected to crt
For what purpose? That's just emulating, then you might as well use some standard PC hardware connected to a CRT.
>>
>>4218486
Yuden means "dielectric" according to Google Translate.
>>
>>4218623
It's "太陽誘電" in Japanese.
>>
>>4218486
>>4218623
try getting banned for /pol/ shit, chum
>>
>>4218641
>i can't take a joke
>>
>>4218648
>my racist comments were
>JUST A PRANK BRO
fail
>>
>>4218650
Do you even know where you are?
>>
>>4218658
/vr/ isn't /v/ or /pol/
failx2
>>
>>4213842
>Cheap CD-R discs worked for me, but the music would skip. No issues burning with the TY discs.
how are you booting the backups? swaptrick or chipped ps1?
>>
>>4218579
>PSIO is not an ODE

Most retarded thing I've read all day
>>
>>4220645
It's not though. An ODE would replace the actual disc drive and act as it, the PSIO goes through the parallell port which has about half the bandwidth of the optical drive.
>>
>>4220645
>i didn't read my own post
>>
>>4220680
So that's the thing preventing it from 100% compatibility? Wonder why they even bothered instead of just making an ODE.
>>
>>4213207
>>4213268
>>4213681

Samefag. Anyone can do a quick Google search and see that there are very few brands of media that work with PS1. And by "work," I don't mean playing games with stuttering audio and FMVs or random lockups. Generic media will always do this.
>>
>>4213194
That's wrong. I use cheap CD-rs and ps1 games work with no problem on my modded PS2.
>>
>>4217952
>Or you just need a PS1 that doesn't have a broken disc drive

No. Tested on multiple units, always with the same results. Generic media = stuttering.
>>
>>4221725
>Wonder why they even bothered instead of just making an ODE.
It would be more difficult than with the Dreamcast for example since the disc controller is on the motherboard, but since you need to solder to make the PSIO work, I don't see how it wouldn't be simpler anyway.
>>
>>4213158
CD Freaks and other old websites use to have a lot of proof, but I'm not sure where you can even find it nowadays since who the fuck even uses CDs anymore aside from weirdos?
>>
>>4218254
>>4221752
PS1 drive caddies melt from the heat of the power supply, so you actually can't have one that isn't broken, unless you open up a sealed original one.
>>
>>4221965
>PS1 drive caddies melt from the heat of the power supply

What the fuck are you going on about. The earliest PS models had issues with the optical assembly melting, but that was quickly fixed in future revisions, and it most certainly isn't present in PSOne. You still need quality media to play burned discs without stutter.

And the issue you're referring to would affect legitimate games as well. Nothing that I actually purchased has any such issues, just games burned on cheap media. Re-burning the games on Taiyo Yuden or JVC discs works perfectly fine.
>>
>>4222014
I bought my last batch of discs in a bunch of 5 packs at the dollar store. Haven't had a stuttering issue. You're probably the same prick always posting about how you have to burn at 2x or 4x as well.
>>
anons, disregard the humongous faggot saying you'll get stutters every time with burning on disc
>>
>>4222176
>I bought my last batch of discs in a bunch of 5 packs at the dollar store. Haven't had a stuttering issue.

No, pretty sure you're just making shit up. Fuck off.
>>
>>4222187
Damn, you got me. That was the best internet lie I've ever made up.
>>
>>4220486
Chipped PSone
>>
>>4221749
yeah i can do a google search and show you people who claim that ps1/ps2 consoles have a killswitch that'll blow out your laser if you run burnt CDs. Doesn't mean it's true.

Any modern blank CD-R will work, you'll be hard-pressed to find ones that don't. I've used novelty ones that look like vinyl albums and it still works.
>>4222251
It could be a number of things then. I'd say that it's probably your laser, and maybe even your disc burner.

If you have a ps2, i would try testing out the backups via swaptrick. Try playing the backup under "normal" and "fast" disc speed. If the game plays fine under fast, but stutters under normal, then it's probably your disc burner. some ps1s really need for the disc to be burnt at a low speed.

If the game works fine under fast and normal speed, then it's totally your laser.
>>
>>4217950
>psp go connected to crt
what in the hell. as if psp shills could sink any lower
>>
>>4222759
I do have a ps2, so I might give it a try. TY has always worked fine, so I never bothered to adjust the laser. But those discs are like twice as much, so it might be worth it.
>>
>>4213268
Yeah, the low speed 1x 2x thing is just a fucking meme. Burn that bitch at full speed on any disc and it's gonna work. Cheap cdr, expensive cdr, it doesn't fucking matter. In the past there were a few issues with burners not being able to do high speed, but anytime in the last 10 years, it makes no difference.
>>
>>4224331
It's about the same as emulating with a Wii on a CRT, except the Wii doesn't do PSX games. Also the psp go can connect to a dualshock 3.
>>
>>4221941
Myce it's the direct descendant fof CDFreaks, there's still guys doing CD DVD and BD quality scans with them good ol' OptiArcs and LiteOns along with newer Pioneers
Even then the community it's not even a shadow of it's former self, but it's still the only place to get actual information about optical media
>who the fuck even uses CDs anymore aside from weirdos?
Anyone who actually wants good archival storage or uses consoles and other apparatuses that used optical media
>>4213108
I haven't been able to find actual good quality CD's in like 5 years
>>4222176
Yeah, you can get lucky, I have garbage bin Princo CD-R's burned in the early 2000's and late 90's that still read perfectly and have zero C2 errors when scanned
>>4218486
>not Sun Juden
>>4218662
Taiyo Yuden has been used as an "antisemitic" joke in /vr/ way before you ever posted here
>>4224438
It does, you haven't burned anywhere close to enough discs if you believe it doesn't matter at all
Of course low speed burning is a meme from the late 90's that actually produces more coasters and lower quality burns in general
>>
>>4227196
>Anyone who actually wants good archival storage or uses consoles and other apparatuses that used optical media
That's kind of what I meant. Outside of niche or technical uses, nobody really cares about CDs anymore, thus the general decline in nicely available information at a variety of sources. Even in terms of buying physical mediums for music, most people are jumping on the hipster record meme over getting CDs.

>myce
I got annoyed that half of the threads I'd pick up from there in google or other sources were deleted, but, yeah, that's probably the best source now if you're willing to dig.
>>
>>4224438
Low speed is a meme dating back to the late 90s when buffer underflow protection did not exist or work fine.

Today it is irrelevant due to the dyes used on modern CDRs not being optimized for that low speed.

Using max speed can be detrimental though, since you are pushing the limits. Taking the middle road is the best, I burn at 16-24x.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.