[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what console truly brought the arcade home for each generation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: arcade.jpg (136KB, 1200x480px) Image search: [Google]
arcade.jpg
136KB, 1200x480px
what console truly brought the arcade home for each generation?
>>
The Sega ones
>>
>8 bit

Colecovision for sure, and not the NES, not the Atari. The NES really did fuck up a lot of ports, most egregious of which was Double Dragon. Ninja Gaiden, though a kick ass game on the NES, played nothing like the arcade. The 2600 just didn't have the power to do any faithful ports and the 5200's controllers were abominations, (though the 2600 did have a couple of half decent like Asteroids, Vanguard, Carnival, and Space Invaders). Colecovision's claim to fame was almost entirely due to very faithful arcade ports.

>16 bit

Genesis, and for one reason and one reason only over SNES: Mortal Kombat. SNES had no blood. In MK. WTF? And in the SegaCD version of MK, the blood was turned on by default, no DULLARD needed.

>32 bit

Jaguar. Atari always did good arcade ports, and the Jaguar was no different.
>>
>>4212726
For each generation? I'd argue:

Atari VCS - some ports were great (e.g., Space Invaders, Ms. Pac Man, Defender II), some sucked (e.g., Pac Man), but the arcade was what drove the majority of the games for the VCS. Even games that had no direct arcade counterpart were inspired by such. "Kaboom!" for example, was based on the arcade game "Avalanche."

Sega Master System - Although NES had arcade ports, it's games focused on more story driven content, vice arcade content. The Master System brought more arcade titles home.

Sega Genesis - as above.

Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn - both had a good chunk of arcade entries, especially fighting games.

Dreamcast - As above

After that, who cares?

Special mention to Neo-Geo, to whoever could afford that thing, they had the arcade hooked to their TV.
>>
Nes
>>
>>4212815
This.
>>
File: Power_Drift_05.gif (10KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Power_Drift_05.gif
10KB, 256x224px
PC Engine had some better ports than the Sega Genesis. How the fuck did that happen.
>>
The PC once MAME started being decent.

Every console was usually a generation behind almost everything that was worth playing in the arcades right up to 5th gen where we started to see some decent home ports and then arcades died.
>>
>>4212795
I know you are trolling but what jaguar games came from the arcade?
>>
>>4212826
saturn
>>
Neo geo obviously
>>
The Dreamcast was basically NAOMI in a fuckin box.
>>
>>4212827
Tempest, NBA Jam, Gorf, Defender, Raiden, and Total Carnage are a few.
>>
>>4212857
>>4212802
The PS2 came out so close to the dreamcast and it is far superior to the dreamcast in the arcade department and pretty much everything else. The PS2 released 6 months after the Dreamcast in Japan
>>
>>4212726
Console? None. Home microcomputers did.
>>
NES
GENESIS
>>
>>4212726
>8 bit era
nothing
>16 bit era
Mostly nothing, but there were some decent releases of 80s arcade games on these consoles
>32 bit
Sega Saturn with the RAM cart is the only one that can say it has the "arcade perfect" experience. Even games like Tekken on the PlayStation had to make concessions. However, PlayStation has plenty of good ports of older arcade games like Twin Cobra. N64 arcade ports of Cruis n' USA and KI2 are lacking.
>Dreamcast
Now we are getting there. Some games are near-indistinguishable from their Naomi counterparts. (but some aren't, like Crazy Taxi)
>PS3/360 era
At this point consoles can emulate CPS2 and Neo games full speed with a high degree of accuracy. Arcade games of the time are generally not graphically impressive compared to home games.
>>
>>4212821
Because Power Drift wasn't on the Genesis

After Burner is better on pce though, except for 32x version. Shinobi, Outrun and Fantasy Zone are cool too.

Some arcade ports that were better on PCE than Genesis
>Kyuukyoku Tiger
>Monster Lair
>Bonanza Bros
>Cadash
>Truxton (though some may disagree)
>Forgotten Worlds

Aero Blasters and Atomic Robo Kid didn't look as good but had numerous gameplay improvements
>>
File: serveimage (9).png (7KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (9).png
7KB, 320x240px
>>4212795
>NES fucked up ports
Nintendo demanded that the Famicom/NES have an exclusive version of the game. That meant that developers made a special Nintendo version of the game and then just ported the arcade version to whatever console they could.

Sometimes developers didn't give two shits and just ported arcade games regardless if it made sense on the platform.
>>
>>4213356
But the PS2 isn't allowed here.
>>
>>4213550
Some of the shit that came out on the ZX Spectrum never ceases to amaze me. You brits are nuts.
>>
>>4213550
>Nintendo demanded that the Famicom/NES have an exclusive version of the game. That meant that developers made a special Nintendo version of the game and then just ported the arcade version to whatever console they could.
Was that an actual policy? I always thought the NES versions were made different because the NES was already an outdated platform by 1985 and most developers often opted to just do reworked versions of their games on the NES instead of attempting to replicate everything exactly like it was on the arcade.
>>
>>4212726
nothing ever did and nothing ever will
arcade games can have a cost of 10k per unit and still make money
>>
File: serveimage (10).png (10KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (10).png
10KB, 256x192px
>>4213613
No it was an actual policy. There were 10 platforms at least that were weaker than the NES yet got weird forced ports nonetheless.
>>
>>4212726
ONLY CORRECT ANSWERS, ARRANGED BY GENERATIONS, IN ORDER FROM 2ND GEN THROUGH 8TH GEN:

Atari 2600
NES
TurboGrafx-16
Saturn
PS2
tie between all 3, each in different ways
PS4

ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS DELUSIONAL and Neo Geo doesn't fucking count because that shit was never even mass produced anyway
>>
Well for 5th gen definitely the PS1 - no other console was more likely to give me a headache and make me spill beer on myself.
>>
The PS1 brought a lot of pretty much 1:1 ports of arcade games, but the Dreamcast really felt like ---the- arcade console.
>>
>>4214116
>PS1
>1:1 ports of arcade games

it's only a matter of time before someone comes in here and tells you how far off of reality this is based on actual irrefutable technical details
>>
File: neogeo1.jpg (29KB, 594x380px) Image search: [Google]
neogeo1.jpg
29KB, 594x380px
lol
>>
>>4212726
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
>>
>>4214442
Literally this.
>>
>>4213642
>No it was an actual policy.
And where's your proof? There's plenty of NES ports of arcade game that don't differ that much from the original.
>>
>>4212802
The Saturn had way better arcade conversions than the Playstation X.
>>
>>4214442
The only answer.
>>
>>4215878
>Playstation X
No such thing.
>>
>>4213671
>NES
Nope. MS all the way on this front.
>>
File: images(14).jpg (56KB, 482x636px) Image search: [Google]
images(14).jpg
56KB, 482x636px
>>4215891
Underage.
>>
>>4215902
Lara Croft with goth boots. So 90s.
>>
File: 1454717454338.jpg (24KB, 314x295px) Image search: [Google]
1454717454338.jpg
24KB, 314x295px
>>4212778

I chuckled, but then thought twice and realized you might be onto something.
>>
>>4215903
Those aren't goth boots you stupid fucking hipsterfag.
>>
>>4212726
The pickup truck
>>
>>4215848
They had to be exclusive to home consoles. Aka the port couldn't appear on the SMS or 7800.
>>
>>4215902
Again with the PSX myth. When will you ever learn, nobody used that name outside of mags and internet forums.
>>
>>4212795
The NES fucked up bad dudes and even Donkey kong.
>>
>>4213356
Dreamcast launched in November 1998 in Japan, PS2 in March 2000. You fucking suck at math.
>>
>>4215970
>nobody used that name outside of mags and internet forums
I want this fucking meme to die.
>>
>>4212795
Blood code was ABACABB my dude
>>
>>4212778
/thread
>>
>>4215970
>durrrrrrrr
>>
>>4215898
you're fucking delusional
>>
>>4215951
How do you explain Bubble Bobble then?
>>
>>4215970

>outside of mags and internet forums

What, are they disqualified from being fucking people now? People used it, end of story. Just because people didn't come up to your dumb ass saying "pee ess ecks" doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.