[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth playing on an emulator?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: 2831952-super_metroid_cover[1].jpg (3MB, 2100x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2831952-super_metroid_cover[1].jpg
3MB, 2100x1536px
Is it worth playing on an emulator?
>>
I would recommend a controller. The worst part of the game for me was wall jumping. But almost every emulator under the sun can run it well.
>>
It's better on an emulator. The in-game control configuration is a little lacking. You can't map aiming to anything but shoulder buttons and can't map two actions to the same button (Useful if you don't want to deal with the run button).
>>
>>4212263
What's the best SNES emulator for this game?
>>
>>4212278
For accuracy, higan.

If you use a frontend like retroarch you can make some filters if you can't stand pixels. If you just want something lightweight go with snes9x. Still has a few options to tinker with too.
>>
>>4212290
Thanks.
>>
>>4212258
I enjoyed emulating it with a 8bitdo NES30 controller when I was without my SNES but still rather playing it on the original.
>>
Ya inlove emulators. Thays how i got to play so many different games without paying for them to see what i like
>>
>>4212278
>"best"

No such thing. Emulators can be cycle-accurate at best, but people choose mostly based on specs, convenience, features, etc. It really depends on what you need from the emulator.

snes9x is perfectly fine. If you have a toaster oven, snesgt. Don't bother with shitty frontends like retroarch. They're just software wrappers that use common cores like snes9x, so it's pointless to use that instead of snes9x proper.
>>
>>4212329
I would love to play it on the original, but the thing is: my SNES is PAL.
>>
Fucking shit dude just play it, you have NOTHING to lose other than a few minutes if you don't like it, don't ask our approval.
>>
>>4212429
>finding out snesgt and uosnes share 90% of their code with snes9x
>>
>>4212263
This. I'm not one of those faggy purist types that insists that games aren't worth playing if you're not doing it 'how the developers intended', but you have to have a decent controller, especially if you're going to enjoy a game like Super Metroid.
>>
>>4212434
I was wondering if this was a game that doesn't play well on emulators.
>>
>>4212493
Nothing ever emulates well, emulation is intrinsically unauthentic looking and full of input lag.
>>
>>4212523
But most people don't notice it unless the emulator is god-awful.
>>
>>4212526
Most people are fucking retards.
>>
>>4212523
>Nothing ever emulates well
Except for the game in question which was released for the system with the most autistically accurate emulator ever released. Higan is cycle accurate and has truly negligible difference in input response time.

If you put Higan and a real SNES side by side running the same game with the same video signal there is no person on this planet who could tell the difference.
>>
If you emulate it, play with the Control Freak romhack
>>
>>4212545
>If you put Higan and a real SNES side by side running the same game with the same video signal there is no person on this planet who could tell the difference.

Cycle accuracy has little to do with this. Put a real SNES side-by-side with a shitty low-end SNES emulator like zsnes and you still won't be able to tell the difference. A good number of emulators use game-specific hacks to fake support for certain features or enhancement chips they normally can't emulate. It will still look and feel the same as real hardware even though there's a lot of bugged out shit happening under the hood.
>>
Recently played through this game for the first time on my phone with snes 9x for android and an 8bitdo snes30 Controller on my spare time at work.

Very fun and the pixelated graphics really look amazing on a smaller handheld OLED screen with integer scaling and like 25% scanline overlay at 60fps.

Wall jumping was hard to master, might have been control lag over Bluetooth but beat the game anyway and enjoyed every minute.
>>
>>4212258
It's fine, pretty much every emulator out there has the game well targeted.

Go get a 8bitdo controller if you're worried about how it controls.
>>
>>4212570
Well-informed players would notice the little inaccuracies and bugs in ZSNES. I for one can tell the difference between ZSNES's audio and a real SNES's audio. ZSNES's is better quality due to devices it is usually ran on being overall better build quality than a SNES.

Try playing snes9xgx on a wii/gamecube sometime and comparing the audio to a real SNES. The difference is easily apparent.
>>
>>4212429
what about znes? It was pretty cool with the snowy background and stuff
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (55KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
55KB, 1000x665px
>>4212258
Consider this:

1. It's regarded as one of the best games of all time.
2. It is cheap to own on a real cartridge. The Japanese version is 100% identical to the North American cart and can be bought on ebay for $30 shipped.
3. Super Famicom systems themselves are cheap (cheaper than SNES), can be found for less than $40. Occasionally you can find a SFC bundled with Super Metroid for less than $80.

So for less than $80 you can experience the game in its truest form. For a game that is considered among the greatest I think you'd want to do this for your first playthrough, otherwise you're cheating yourself a bit. And of course you can resell the game and the system after you're done for pretty much the same amount you had in it, only taking the loss of ebay and paypal's cut. Total actual financial loss would be maybe $10.

This isn't even getting into flash carts. You can buy the Super UFO Pro 8 for less than $50 which will play Super Metroid with no issues, as well as let you play 99% of the rest of the SFC/SNES catalog, as well as rom hacks.
>>
It's not the early 2000s, SNES emulation is as good as you would ever need.

Also the argument for input lag is dumb when there are emulators out there that deal with it nicely.
>>
>>4212639
I already own a real SNES, but it's PAL.
>>
>>4212704
This is objectively false. Even Higan is still far from perfect cycle accuracy. You'd know if you speedran games.
>>
>>4212793
oh, you think I'm a sperglord like you. I'm not, I play video games though.

Speedrunning is not retro btw
>>
>>4212632
Dont talk to me or anyone on this site ever again.
>>
>>4212823
Not him, but speedrunning has been around since the 90s at the latest.
>>
>>4212871
Speedrunning started Doom and Quake.
>>
>>4212878
That makes sense. I knew there were records of speedruns of goldeneye levels in '98, but I wasn't positive what was earlier.
>>
>>4212878
Pretty sure Doom and Quake didn't need support from a lolsport that was yet to be invented just to be developed.

back to /v/ manchild
>>
>>4212894
Show me on the doll where speedrunning touched you.
>>
>>4212784
Then buy an NTSC system.
>>
>>4212894
Speed Demos Archive was LITERALLY the first speedrun scene. They hosted Quake input playback files, hence the Demos in the name.
>>
The first Tool Assisted Run with slowdown and savestates was made with Doom too.
>>
>>4212929
But then my roommates will look at me weird.
>>
>>4212559
control freak or gba-style?
>>
>>4212263
>>4212489
I have an Xbox 360 controller, is that good enough?
I have no problems with the D-pad.
>>
>>4212978
Sure. Enjoy.
>>
>>4212978
I often didn't have as many problems with the d-pad either, but this game does require precision for the multiple techniques that you can learn to move around.

I would recommend pretty much anything else instead, like a dual shock, a saturn gamepad, heck even a classic controller over the 360 pad. It's not fun to hit diagonals when you don't want to.
>>
>>4212258
Where the fuck are you going to download it anyways?
>>
>>4213078
Lol he doesn't have the entire snes library with every region version.
>>
>>4212278
Use retroarch and turn on Hard GPU Sync. It cuts the input lag which you'll need to wall jump properly.
>>
>>4212258
Hyper beam everywhere
Yes
>>
>>4212632

I used to use zsnes fifteen years ago too. I'm kind of sad it's dated. People here don't like it because it doesn't emulate correctly. But it was really fast at it's prime.

I guess I'm too big an old fag for these youngsters.
>>
>>4213078

google goodsnes. instant win.

you don't really have to use a lot of time to torrent every game ever made of any system I guess. At least before they started using cds.
>>
>>4212429
>cycle accurate at best?
I thought that was pretty much the same as original hardware?
>>
>>4214028
>It cuts the input lag

No. Retroarch introduces even more input lag.

No one should have difficulty timing wall jumps, even with an emulator.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.