[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUCKING STOKED!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: williams firepower.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
williams firepower.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
I've wanted a pinball machine for fucking ever. A Williams Firepower popped up on CL in what looks like great shape, at a non-assrape price of $950. Most of the pinball machines around her that are <$1000 looks like they lived through Katrina, or are old as fuck EM machines.

I've never owned a pinball machine before, what specifically should I be looking for?

Thanks
>>
Not sure but you might be interested in this documentary https://hdencode.com/special-when-lit-a-pinball-documentary-2009-1080p-amazon-webrip-dd2-0-x264-trollhd-5-2-gb/

You'll a uploaded accoun to get it from there.
>>
>>4212131
How much maintenance these need? Depending on how much this has used or where it's been stored you will need to probably clean it off the dust first, at least that. But that's great, nothing beats a real pinball. Pinball Arcade and other games are great but they are not the real thing. Pinball is very physical game.
>>
>>4212297
Guy has all of the original manuals, he said the rubbers were replaced a couple of years ago, and it's been in his living room for the last 10 years. He said the only thing that's bad is, sometimes the voice freaks out a little, and it doesn't match what's going on on the playfield at the appropriate time. From the pics he sent, the glass, art, and paintwork all look great.
>>
>>4212475
It could be due oxidation on the electric circuits. Though I don't know which kind of electrical stuff is happening behind a mechanical pinball game. Could be that the voice issue is something which can be easily repaired. That's actually interesting little hobby, get that pinball machine and then clean it up and restore it fully. Little bit of soldering and replacing capacitors. You need to do some research online. Pretty cool stuff!
>>
>>4212131
Someone who can maintain it for you

>>4212297
A fuckton
>>
>>4213341
I'll be maintaining it myself. I can read schematics, am good with a soldering iron, and am pretty crafty with making broken mechanical things work again.
>>
>>4212131
just jump on it nigger or someone else will get it, or it has gophers or some shit and will be a learning experience
>>
>>4213634
Good luck.

I had three and could never get any of them back to 100%.

Ended up selling them all and getting a used 82' Chexx Ice Hockey - those things are tanks and pretty easy to fix up and maintain (comparatively)
>>
>>4212131
Even with some issues, that price and condition is too good to pass up - especially if you're not paying to have it shipped. Consider it a learner's table. If the rubbers have been replaced, that's great, but check ALL caps and solenoids. Guarantee at least one is bad. Also, if you have the time, consider doing a full LED upgrade on your lamps. Your sanity and wallet will thank me later.
>>
>>4213634
Hope that works out for you. I used to do this and while I'm also a clever lad I was lucky enough to have someone with experience teach me how to do it right.
>>
>>4212131
Summer is over. When the fuck will reddit leave?
>>
>>4215528
>cap kit
>LED's

Already on my short list! I do have a Flue 87, so checking caps ain't nothing but a thing, but still. These fuckers are 37 years old. Even if they test good, it'll probably be wise to change them out anyway. All electronics this old are through board, so that shit is SUPER simple to fix. Hell, while I have the boards out, I know it wouldn't hurt to just re-flow the board anyway. Might take an hour or so each, but I also know that a good re-flow can increase reliability a magnitude or more.
>>
>>4215645
>recap and reflow hue hue
>tfw you pull up half the traces, try to fix it by turning it into a fsm frankenstein and give up after a few weeks
>>
>>4216348
Nah. I've reflowed a bunch of old shit before. This ain't my first rodeo with electronics, just with a pinball machine. I've reflowed a bunch of old car amps from the 80's and 90's, getting them to work again. It's not difficult at all, you just have to use the correct iron, with the correct heat range, with the correct tip, with the correct solder.

I use my Hakko iron with a chisel tip, usually about 370 deg, and I use 60/40 0.020" Ersin Multicore solder.

If you know how your stuff works, you'll never pull up a trace.
>>
>>4212131
you better be a rubber band expert
>>
>>4216635
not OP, but what?

explain this reference.
>>
>>4212131
Great game, but it looks pretty beat up. Be prepared for it to get worse as you use it.
I have a firepower II machine and it hasn't been much trouble to diagnose and fix on my own. If you're good with that stuff, you will have fun.
>>
>>4218848
I think it's just that pinball tables have a lot of rubber bands of specific sizes that need replacing as they start to erode.
>>
>>4212131
Don't swear.
>>
>>4219387
get cunted penis breathe.
>>
>>4219390
Seriously stop, this isn't /v/.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.