[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best job/class system in any RPG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: ff5.png (115KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ff5.png
115KB, 1280x1024px
What is the best job/class system in any RPG?
>>
I like FF5s and FF:T. Third edition D&D has a good one but I don't know if like Baldur's Gate even begins to accurately represent it or maybe NWN? Is that even retro?
>>
File: Vandal hearts vandalier class.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Vandal hearts vandalier class.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>4211286
the Vandalier class of Vandal hearts
>>
>>4211408
>Third edition D&D has a good one but I don't know if like Baldur's Gate even begins to accurately represent it

That's because Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were 2E. Icewind Dale 2, Temple of Elemental Evil and Neverwinter Nights were 3.0, with Neverwinter Nights 2 being the only D&D game using 3.5.
>>
FFV out of all the ones I've played remains unrivaled

Romancing SaGa 2 is a nice attempt
>>
File: tttacticsalljob.gif (41KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
tttacticsalljob.gif
41KB, 200x200px
>>
>>4211459
This game looks pretty cool, I dig the art style. How would you compare it to FFT?
>>
>>4211552
I am torn.

Once you get the calculator class started, the game starts to lose quickly.

So pretty much anything with a lvl 6+ calculator can totally ruin the game.

I had a save with 300+ hours. It was insane...ahhh 2001 was a really boring year.
Fully mastered calculator with all the magics mastered. Set 2 of these characters to auto battle, and any match is over in 3 moves.

I have also rush through the game so fast that knights were the best character class by the end. very low levels.

I always tend toward moderate melee with basic magics.
>>
File: vandals.jpg (43KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
vandals.jpg
43KB, 350x262px
>>4211553
It is more like shining force than FFT. Worth playing if you like strategy games.
>>
>>4211459
That's the most op job class in any game.
>>
>>4211286
Does anyone else hate job/class systems as much as I do? All they seem to do is make it so that you now have to constantly switch and grind characters in different jobs, and live in fear that you are investing your time in useless skills. I have enough paranoia about that in real life, thanks.
>>
Dragon Warrior III
>>
>What is the best job/class system in any RPG?

Any RPG without classes or linear character growth. What's the point in restricting what specializations or skills characters can take? If a player is willing to put in the effort to grind, there shouldn't be anything stopping them from juggling as many skills as they want. Classes artificially restrict access to skills you've already mastered the moment you swap to a different class.

No, free skill specialization does not break the game. Shit planning breaks games. Plenty of studios have produced acclaimed RPGs that do not restrict skill access or lock characters into rigid class-based roles.
>>
>>4212232

Can't wait for someone to argue that FF2 is broken while simultaneously defending FF5 or FFT and their multitude of broken class combos.

>It's okay when mimes and calculators do it!
>>
Unironically FFIII

The job system felt like a puzzle in all of it's own. For example, the game gives you hints that you need to be a Dragoon or Mystic Knight at one point. And I like this.

It's also the only job system I know to have significant progression between job classes. Like Warrior to Knight, Envoker to Summoner, and Thief to Ninja. Reminds me of the upgrades of Bahamut in the original FF, which is the best thing in that game.
>>
>>4213118

I've never seen anyone defend this game before.

I didn't think quickly obsoleted classes were any fun. Not only was there no incentive to use older classes later in the game, but doing so might actually be suicide because they're not adequately balanced to keep up. By the end of the game it was sage + ninja, or all fully-equipped onion knights.
>>
File: ffl3-12.png (10KB, 240x216px) Image search: [Google]
ffl3-12.png
10KB, 240x216px
Final Fantasy Legend III / SaGa 3 had an interesting idea. Defeated enemies occasionally dropped meat, or if they were robots, they dropped robotic components. Any character could consume the meat or install the components, allowing them to transform into a whole different species. Each species applied stat increases and penalties, bonus damage with certain weapons, and unique sets of skills. And if you didn't want to play as that species for the entire game, you had the option of reverting to your default species at any time.
>>
>>4213182
Yet the most powerful build were the default classes. You can easily go through the whole game with nothing but normal attacks and healing spells.
>>
>>4211286
Ted "The Prick" Benson - Fallouts
>>
>>4211286
Pokemon "rock, paper, scissors" system.
>>
>>4211570
2001 had so many great games though
>>
>>4213272
That has literally zero to do with this thread
>>
>>4211552
would be good if stat growth isn't tied to jobs
>>
>>4213449
Not him but it does. Each Pokemon is essentially it's own job class. I think Pokemon is one of the best retro rpgs from a combat mechanics point of view.
>>
>>4211286
FF class: Red Mage/Wizard for Casters
Dragoon for Melee

Anything else: Bard, because everything
>>
>>4214121
As far as best system
Final Fantasy III DS edition

This might be /tg/ but I'm loving 5th edition d&d
>>
>>4211286
You posted it
>>
>>4214210
>broken classes
>"best"

Once you unlock the mime class and can spam X-fight or Quick + Dualcast, there's no reason to use anything else. Many of the classes go completely unused before then because there's no incentive to switch when it certainly means gimping your characters.
>>
>>4214330
You should try this fiesta thing, it's fun. No job is useless. See pic, low tier jobs but they can win the game.
>>
>>4214330
Blue mages and chemists destroy the game
>>
>>4213308
>2001 had so many great games though
It was only boring because I had nothing to do. I consider partying every day at home pretty boring. I did play loads of FFT however.

We would drag the couch onto the backporch, and then we could sit out there, and watch the big screen plugged in on the far wall....I guess it wasn't boring lol. From a nerd point of view it was pretty exciting.
>>
>>4214330
Which requires you to mostly stick with classes that aren't that great for the entire early and midgame OR grind like a madman at the end of the game. Chemist and Blue Mage are the classes that break everything with minimal investment and they still take more effort to use than you think, and even the worst jobs in FF5 are still pretty good in the grand scheme of things.
>>
File: EFEPyge.jpg (555KB, 2676x1741px) Image search: [Google]
EFEPyge.jpg
555KB, 2676x1741px
Pick two, /vr/
>>
>>4215731
mediator and onion knight
>>
>>4215731
Chemist, Oracle.
>>
>>4215731
Chemist
Oracle

Love them titties
>>
>>4215731
Two mimics, and I'll be the third.

The endless lesbian orgy.
>>
>>4215731
Geomancer for Hell Ivy tentacle rape.
Mediator for dat sexy talk.
>>
>>4215731

chemist, monk
>>
>>4213449
theme =/= mechanics

>>4213723
Thanks for helping me explain.
>>
>>4214330
>grind
>end up overpowered
who would've guessed
>>
everquest
>>
>>4211286
none/low seems to be popular in the 4chan RPG of life.
>>
>>4218246
This is a pretty outside-the-box answer, but I think it may be right. You really got an entirely different game experience based on which class you chose, and everyone depended on each other because very few classes could effectively play solo.
>>
>>4215731
chemist to make potions dancer and a mimic to ride my dick all day and nice
>>
>>4215960
Thanks I agree, despite it's kiddie exterior Pokemon is a shockingly well designed rpg system. If it were serious in tone and had more normal characters like Suikoden it would probably be even more huge than it is.
>>
>>4215731
Dancer and Lancer
>>
>>4214330
>>4215654
>mime
Optional late game class

>X-fight and Dualcast
999 AP abilities that require you to grind otherwise unremarkable jobs extensively

>blue mages and chemists
require knowing where exactly to get the right spells or what are the proper mix combinations. getting stuff like big guard outright requires a guide

of course the game is broken in hindsight now 25 years after it was released, now that you can go on the internet and look up strong combinations. you wouldn't know any of this on your first playthrough, and the game rewards you for mastering the system and exploring options that aren't immediately obvious.
>>
>>4219462
>you wouldn't know any of this on your first playthrough

What? I did all of these things on my first playthrough, before I even knew GameFAQs existed. It wasn't that difficult to put two or more overpowered abilities together and start breaking the game five ways from Sunday.

And end-game skills aren't the only way to break the game. You can get access to GilToss pretty early. Boss fights become a joke at that point.
>>
>>4219472
You continued leveling Red Mage well into the late game despite it becoming obsolete once -ga spells become available? Same with Hunter, who is utter shit and can only summon gay animals before learning X-Fight? Got all blue magics etc, all that without stopping to explore every nook and cranny of the game and grind out all jobs, breaking the intending pacing? Good for you, but I doubt that was the case for everyone playing FFV for the first time.

Gil Toss is actually broken though, I'll give you that.
>>
>>4219472
>paying to win
>>
>>4219523
>breaking the intending pacing

What "intended pacing" do you speak of? Did you participate in this game's development? You're creating goalposts out of thin air.
>>
>>4221767
not him, but intended pacing could mean something like "just continue on with the plot" instead of "stay in World 1/2 and get those 999 ABP"
>>
>>4221780
>"just continue on with the plot"

Most FF games do necessitate some grinding to advance. And who is anyone to say what the "intended pacing" of the games is. I thought the purpose was to have fun, not play the game according to one person or another's arbitrary rules.
>>
>>4221802
>Most FF games do necessitate some grinding to advance.
Not a single one of them does. It's arguably the easiest JRPG series out there except Pokemon.
>>
>>4221971
FF8 requires grinding either through Triple Triad or through drawing spells.
>>
>>4221991
That's not grinding in the sense of specifically getting into random fights for EXP. But I take your point.
>>
>>4221971
>Not a single one of them does

t. someone who's never played a Final Fantasy game before
>>
>>4222004
t. a summer fag that has to grind to beat baby's first JRPGs
>>
>>4215731
Time Mage and Thief
>>
>>4221971
FF1 does for caster-heavy party compositions, although it's not a whole lot, and FF2 needs targeted grinding of the the right weapons and spells, but otherwise you're right.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.