[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr GAUNTLET

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 12

File: thread.png (20KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
thread.png
20KB, 512x480px
We haven't had one of these threads in a while, let's do it.

Welcome to the Retro Game Gauntlet.

Start at NES, and work through in the following order:
NES
SNES
GB/GBC
Megadrive/Genesis
Turbografx16
DOS
NeoGeo
GBA
Commodore 64
Playstation 1

You have three days to complete the game without assistance (each game gets three days, though RPGs are allowed a week due to length).

Select your system here:
http://s3kr.it/gauntlet.html

You can also do it manually if you don't trust the random number generator:
http://s3kr.it/systems/

Rules:
1) Savestates are allowed ONLY for the purpose of taking screenshots and ONLY if your emulator/game in question does not have a pause function.
2) Rerolls are allowed under the following conditions:
-The game you get requires some sort of hardware functionality that cannot be accurately emulated to complete (eg, Boktai)
-The game would otherwise require cheats, hacks, or alteration of the software to complete due to a bug (eg, Cheetahmen II)
For games that have a high score or no end, the rule is
>if no high score has been established, set a goal and beat it
>if you.re playing something another anon already has a high score on, beat their high score
>if you are playing extended rpgs/pokemon/whatever you get a week (Depending on the game: needs to be asked in thread)

AND BRING ME SCREENSHOTS PARKER

IRC channel: #gauntlet on irc.rizon.net (Mibbit link on site)

NEW RULES/GUIDELINES TO POSTING IN THE GAUNTLET THREADS:

-Do not post screenshots every other screen, make them few and meaningful
-Do not start a new thread before current one bump limit is exceeded
>>
File: 1320954538644.jpg (6KB, 166x231px) Image search: [Google]
1320954538644.jpg
6KB, 166x231px
>>4210636
>GBA
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (126KB, 1434x825px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
126KB, 1434x825px
Only played like 5 seconds of this game, so this should be interesting.
>>
File: WoF.jpg (114KB, 760x730px) Image search: [Google]
WoF.jpg
114KB, 760x730px
>>4210636
>http://s3kr.it/gauntlet.html

So I win one grand prize and I'm done?
>>
File: mon1.jpg (138KB, 502x430px) Image search: [Google]
mon1.jpg
138KB, 502x430px
Went with the monster cause he looks cool, only on first level won't post anymore until i get to next stage or boss.

>>4210647
i didnt make the website man who cares
>>4210657
lol guess so
>>
File: mon2.jpg (114KB, 498x433px) Image search: [Google]
mon2.jpg
114KB, 498x433px
First boss wasn't hard, those flying witches though. fun game so far
>>
I miss these threads.
>>
I considered doing this but since it's not too clear on how frequent should progress be shown and such I gave up on it.

In any case that is a hell of a good tool for choosing a game when not knowing what to play.
>>
How active is the IRC-channel?
>>
File: 1502427451349.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1502427451349.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
My biggest issue with this challenge is the randomizer. There are so many games on there that are not even fun in the sense of it being in a challenge like this. Even if I could just reroll it defeats the purpose of the challenge and just kills the mood (for me personally at least).

I wish there could be some kind of community effort to put together a list of games of games included rather than everything that exists.
>>
>We haven't had one of these threads in a while

Take a hint.
>>
The guy in charge of the site said he was going to make a tick where you can choose the game to be chosen only from /v/'s recommended games list. He never went through with it.

Everyone knows at least half of games suck. Especially with so many shitty licensed and sports games.
>>
>>4212129
>>4212721
I suggested doing exactly that back when the threads were moderately popular. A few people were for it, but 80% of the posters were either "HUR, THAT'S PART OF THE RANDOM FUN, QUIT WHINING" or "YOU JUST WANT TO REMOVE THE GAMES YOU DON'T LIKE, FUCK OFF". I never mentioned which games would be removed, or who would decide which games get removed, I merely suggested the idea. I even warned them that these threads would eventually die since not everyone enjoys trying to force themselves through a Barbie title. No one listened. Now here we are. That was around the time I realized about 80% of the posters here are full retard and not worth listening to.

>>4211998
General guideline is a pic after every level with a brief update of whats happened, or a pic of where you are currently stuck. People used to be forbidden from making multiple updates without anyone else posting, but that rule got dropped fast once the threads started dying off.
>>
>>4212721
>>4213229
Why do you need a randomizer? Even being able to select the games yourself is still challenging because you have a time limit and have to do all those games
>>
>>4213229
>everybody else is the problem

Whoever was creating these threads ignored consensus from anybody else participating - i.e. OP would disregard suggestions to play any popular games and would force everybody to play some awkward niche title that was only recently brought to anyone's attention due to a fan translation or ROM hack.

I have no idea when this randomizer business started, but that doesn't sound like much fun either.

tl;dr - Let /vr/ actually pick what it wants to play. Stop trying to dictate the entire show when people clearly do not like your picks.
>>
>>4213229
Yes but HOW would one curate the list? You are in no way the only person to have that idea but I never see you guys post any feasible solutions.

Just whining at a problem won't solve it, especially when a great deal of people don't even perceive it as a problem.
>>
File: WIP.png (66KB, 620x1602px) Image search: [Google]
WIP.png
66KB, 620x1602px
I'm actually working on something similar unrelated to this

How does this list look? I'm not trying to complete every game but I am trying to complete a good number of the 'significant' games from each console/generation
>>
>>4213445
"Just reroll if you get something you seriously don't want to play" is the only rule that's really needed. Curating the list doesn't work since people are different. Some want to play the classics only, some are willing to try out new and obscure shit, some just don't feel like playing an 80 hour RPG right now, some are willing to play sports games but don't know the rules to football... Just keep it all in and let people reroll if they don't like what they got.
>>
>>4213453
There already is a list. Just use /v/'s recommended lists.
>>
>>4213540
>/v/'s recommended lists
>>
>>4213542
They're pretty good, desu. We thought about updating them on /vr/ years ago... but it's completely pointless.
>>
>>4210636
>thread has nothing to actually do with Gauntlet

Well, fuck you too, then.
>>
>>4213628
you must be new here
>>
>>4210636
whoa nice timing,I'm playing through dark legacy right now emulated on PCSX2 but it sometimes drop's to 30 FPS?

Otherwise it runs at a solid 50 what could be causing it to break like that at random intervals?
>>
File: dude.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dude.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
What the fuck am I getting myself into?
>>
>>4213768
Breakout made into a puzzle where you have match colours.

It's actually pretty fun, just a bit simple for an NES game, especially at the time.
>>
>>4213768
Not a good title screen.
>>
>>4212129
Ultimately it's just about playing some new games and sharing it with your favorite anons. And maybe beating the time limit.
>>
I think people would be participating more if it was more organized. Definitely if there was some sort of software that helped with this particular challenge. Heck I'm going to put this out there as something that I think would be decent but definitely not exist in a long time:

-A multiplatform emulator that has a system that's integrated with an online database of sorts
-It includes the randomizer and scans that database to get games that weren't finished to make sure it doesn't give you one of those
-It includes the 3 day/7 day timer in game
-It includes a nice tool to be able to upload both screenshots and commentary

Suddenly you would have people trying this shit left and right.
>>
>>4216317
This.
>>
>>4216328
This would be neat but I doubt anyone would put their time into making it.
>>
yea I think a curated list would be good. I think it should still be very long but we can remove shit like mahjong and multiple iterations of sports titles (Madden 93, 94, etc.)
>>
File: james bond jr.jpg (40KB, 581x452px) Image search: [Google]
james bond jr.jpg
40KB, 581x452px
I think I'm going to stop here. I barely got through the first mission even while following a longplay.

Why does a series defined entirely by sex, violence and drinking have a kids adaptation, anyways?
>>
>>4219705
Kids like the concept, so a kid-friendly variant is a nice way to push it at them in a format parents will be willing to buy for them.
>>
File: 20170827_150523.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_150523.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Rolled and got fucking Loopz, re-rolled on this. Pretty fun! On level 5 now. Playing in the NES emu on my ever drive.
>>
File: 20170828_185210.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170828_185210.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
This game is fun
>>
>>4222956
Lunar Jetman is better.
>>
>>4222956
Anon I know you like vertical shooters, but please! That TV is going to fall off!
>>
>>4223067
Ok

>>4223136
It's ok anon it's glue'd on
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.