[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Sega GENESIS What did they mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: Mega_Drive.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Mega_Drive.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
>Sega GENESIS

What did they mean by this?
>>
Just another marketing buzzword, like blast processing.
>>
Sega was a shit company with no foresight. There's a reason they failed, and now develop software for Nintendo.
>>
>>4210357
It was the Genesis of a console revolution. Sega paved the way for a lot of ideas.
>>
>>4210362
>Sega was a shit company
The lather I can agree with but you take back those words
>>
>>4210357
>What did they mean by this?

They meant it to appeal to the USA market, who cream their pants when they hear biblical references.

If they released that console today, it would be called the TransDrive.
>>
>>4210437
>If they released that console today
Pretty sure they couldn't, seeing as black is cultural appropriation and 16-bit is a symbol of 8-bit oppression.
>>
>>4210365
Sega Genesis was my first console after I moved out of my parent's house back in 1997. There was a liquidation sale going on so they sold these brand new for $50 a pop. Bought a pair of 6 button arcade sticks and a big stack of games. Missed out on two job interviews because I stayed up all night beating the Sonic games in order. To my luck I got called back for another interview and still work there to this day.
>>
>>4210448
Sega Genesis was my second console, the first being the NES. My dad sold the NES so he could get me a new console. I had a choice between the Sega Genesis & a Super Nintendo. With how cool the Sega Genesis looked, I picked the Sega Genesis. I'm glad I did because I would have missed on so many great Sega Genesis games had I picked the SNES instead. Although I did end up getting a SNES later on, buying the games I wanted for that system. I just preferred the Sega Genesis thanks to games like Streets Of Rage, Splatterhouse, Robocop Vs Terminator, Sonic The Hedgehog, Golden Axe and so many other games.
>>
>>4210460
Before the Genesis, I grew up around two Nintendo nerds being my oldest brother and dad. Dad bought an NES when his boss showed him Donkey Kong, Mario Bros. and Galaxian/Galaga(?) running on it and those were his most played games at the arcades which he also got the NES Advantage stick for (what got me into using arcade sticks for consoles in the first place). Later on since my brother already earned a nice figure he bought an SNES on launch day but wasn't into arcade sticks so we played Street Fighter 2 and other stuff with the stock controllers. We were fine playing the games available as they were on NES and SNES. I always wanted a Sega Genesis badly throughout that time span though that I sometimes had dreams of playing one with nonsensical stuff going on in the dream screen.
>>
File: latest.png (480KB, 680x426px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
480KB, 680x426px
>>
>>4210437
>TransDrive

kek, how about the Sega (Special) Snowflake?
>>
>>4211087
Now's a good time as any to buy a Sega Genesis & some games for it. Just be sure to buy the model 1 version of it, if you want the best picture & sound quality.
>>
>>4211102
That would be the Sega CD.
>>
File: R-3567515-1336294084.jpeg.jpg (101KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
R-3567515-1336294084.jpeg.jpg
101KB, 500x500px
They had good taste
>>
When you see it you turn Genesis degrees and walk away
>>
>>4210362
>>4210432
>Nintendo owns the market until Sega ups the ante in 1992
>Sega accused of being all style and no substance
>Nintendo loses a ton of market share to them
>Nintendo regroups and fights back with new ad campaigns
>turning point is the release of Donkey Kong Country
>a game that is all style and no substance.
Fucking poetry.
>>
>>4210437
What is it with /vr/ and trans people this week? Gosh
>>
>>4210357
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52XlyMbxxh8
>>
>>4212106
>"no substance"
>shitload of levels
>mother fucking shitload of secrets
>godlike controls
>great level design
>great variety
>amazing soundtrack
>""no substance""
>"""""no substance"""""

I don't have a costanza.jpg that is condescending enough for this
>>
File: kamiya1357069502019.png (61KB, 141x188px) Image search: [Google]
kamiya1357069502019.png
61KB, 141x188px
>>4212106
>>4210362
>console warriors
>not having been segatendo idorts during the 90s
>>
>>4212130
>implying I wasn't
I actually preferred my Genesis to my SNES when I was a kiddo, but looking back I realize that part of it was me falling for the marketing.
>>
>>4212128
>shitload of levels
Quantity does not equal quality
>mother fucking shitload of secrets
How is this "substance"? How hard is it to just hide shit?
>godlike controls
They're good. I'll give you that.
>great level design
What was so great about it? It was almost entirely horizontal and relied on some pretty basic platforming cliches. Just slopes and platforms. Mario 3 had better level design and variety 4 years earlier on the NES.
>great variety
Oh yeah. All those levels where you shoot out of barrels, or ride a minecart... or... um...
>amazing soundtrack
that's "style"

If you think DKC was about anything other than pushing the new graphical style to appeal to an entirely superficial market, you're delusional. I thought the game was pretty hot stuff when I was 8 years old, but at some point you have to look beyond the nostalgia and realize it was pretty basic.
>>
>>4212156
So a platformer can't have substance because it's just a platformer?
>Just slops and platforms
You're wrong, there are levels with ropes, ice, timed platforms.
Also, secrets is part of the substance of the game design. Some of them are bullshit, but many are well placed and can be found intuitively. It adds to replayability.
I'm not gonna say DKC is the best platformer ever, or necessarily better than something like SMB3, but it's good, I don't see how it is "style over substance".
Then again, every time I see people say that, it's more like a way to bash a game without actually giving proper arguments than anything else, like when people say "this game has aged badly".
I think DKC is style and substance.
DKC2 improved on mostly everything, but the first one is still a bonafide platformer.
>>
>>4212173
>So a platformer can't have substance because it's just a platformer?
I didn't say that. In fact I said specifically that Mario 3 has more substance than DKC. Boatloads more.
>also ropes, ice, timed platforms
The fact that you have to include "ice" is pretty sad. Yes, the game has a handful of decent elements, but compare it to what Mario 3 was offering years before. DKC is more comparable to Mario 2 in its depth. And even then Mario 2 has more interesting ideas like sub-space and characters with different stats.

The best concept DKC had going was the animal buddies, but even Mario was already riding Yoshi by that point, and even if that microcosm is an example of how unambitious DKC was. Each animal you could ride offered essentially a single gimmick. Meanwhile, Yoshi deepened gameplay a ton. It allowed you to eat enemies, spit some back out, plus the three different shell abilities, plus Yoshi could bounce off of certain spikes/enemies Mario couldn't, plus it offered an extra layer of defense and the ability to leap off of him to jump higher. DKC animals were essentially single-function power-ups that were usually just tools to get to a secret and not truly integrate and change the way you played the game.

I'm not saying DKC has no substance at all, but it's pretty barebones. What it does, it does well, but it was operating on NES-tier concepts in 1994. DKC was Nintendo's answer to Sega's marketing, and it was meant to buy them time. Look back at logs of internet conversations from the time. Kids may have been wowed by it, but most consumers old enough to be using the internet in '94 were pretty quick to recognize the gameplay was nothing special. The only reason DKC was a blip on the radar was because of how amazing it looked. That's the very definition of style over substance.
>>
They meant Mega Drive
>>
>>4210357
It was a quick choice after they discovered they couldn't trademark MegaDrive in the US. I'd hazard a guess that was to mark the beginning of SEGA's invasion of Nintendo's market share since no one gave a fuck about the Master System
>>
>>4210437
>TransDrive
>Not Sega Uranus
>>
The next console would be called exodus, but apparently no
>>
The MEGA drive sounded better. Instead they went with Genesis. It's sad to think of america this way. Genesis. Who listens to Genesis these days? Why should anyone respect a cuckold such as Phil Collins? What do you have against Tim Follin? That was a great composer.
>>
>>4211248
I'm already set up with an everdrive. couldn't afford to keep buying individual games anymore from scalpers and the games I'd have had to rebuy became too expensive to even bother with.
>>
>>4210357 (OP)
Atari USA came up with the name GENESIS. It sounds biblical and therefore sells better in the land of the fat.
>>
>>4212723
>What do you have against Tim Follin? That was a great composer.

DUDE
ARPEGGIOS
LMAO
>>
>>4212723
I never heard of a band name Genesis or Phil Collins or Tim Follin. Maybe because I don't tune into VH1 where all the failed or old musicians are highlighted and celebrated. Like that one faggot Paul McCartney.
>>
>>4215268
What's wrong with arpeggios
>>
File: Genesis1976windandwuthering.jpg (75KB, 302x300px) Image search: [Google]
Genesis1976windandwuthering.jpg
75KB, 302x300px
>>4211268
boastin best album
>>
>>4210357
Genesis does what Nintendon't!
>>
>>4212130
This.
I also had a PC Engine SuperGrafx (with Super CD-ROM 2, both imported from Japan), Neo Geo AES and CDZ as a kid.
Bought the PC Engine SuperGrafx primarily for Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, bought the Neo Geos for The King of Fighters and Far East of Eden Zero.
>>
>>4210357
Copyright, had to change it because someone else already owned the rights to the name "Mega Drive". Also, yanks.
>>
>>4212128
> he thinks a bunch of quantity drivel = substance

lmfao, the sound track is good but the rest? ugly and violently overrated.
>>
>>4221771
>ugly
Source?
>violently
lol
>overrated
Source?
>>
>>4212128
The game is shallow garbage.
>>
Because the Master System was a flop in burgerland and they wanted to distance themselves from it
>>
>>4218358
Bought SuperGrafx for Rondo... you ducked up dude.
>>
>>4224273
I bought a SuperGrafx because it was apparently the best version of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx only because of the handful of SuperGrafx exclusives.

I just bought a used SuperGrafx back in the day just so I could play the Japanese PC Engine games as well as Rondo of Blood.
Even if I could play those on a PC Engine Duo/R/X.

And because I thought that it would probably become more expensive in the next years or so so I bought it while it's still cheap in the second hand market in Japan.

It was also the one I found prettiest.
>>
>>4210357
>Megadrive
The REAL name, ameriscum
>>
people who call it the genesis are the same people who call robotnik "eggman".

just an alien race of monkey people from dragonball Z.
>>
>>4225039
Eggman was the original name though? Way to compare
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.