[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Digital FF7 vs Packaged FF7

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Download.jpg (12KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
12KB, 284x177px
Hey /vr/
I've thought of getting into Final Fantasy, starting with part 7.
While I do own a PS1, I would like to play the PC port of this game because I've heard it'd be superior.

Can someone enlighten me on the differences between the packaged version you can order and the digital copy you can buy on Steam?
Which one is more worth getting?
>>
Play the original, the rerelease is more for people who already played it on psx and want things like fast forward or no encounters.
>>
>>4210036
The original? As in the PSX version? I live in PALand so it'll be a 50hz
>>
>>4210090
>a 50hz experience.
ftfm
>>
Final Fantasy VII is overrated weeb trash.
Play Final Fantasy VI (III on the SNES) instead.
>>
>>4210128
Are you sure about this? It might be overrated, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
Is 6 anything like 7-10?
>>
>>4210139
VI is only liked by contrarians who have a hateboner for the playstation
it's average
>>
The original PC release was a hackjob to get the PS1 assets to run on a PC. The team assigned to port it wasn't given the source code. So I would imagine the game engines would be slightly different and have exclusive bugs.

>digital / Steam
I think this is the PC version with tweaks to make it run on modern systems. It also includes microtransaction shit that lets you max out your characters' stats.

Nothing wrong with emulating the PS1 version, or just buying a physical copy and playing it on whatever compatible hardware you own. All PS3 models can load PS1 discs as long as they're the same region as the PS3 itself.
>>
>>4210139
>Is 6 anything like 7
it's the same shit
>>
>>4210151
VI has better story, gameplay, and graphics. VII is melodramatic, looks like shit, and the environments feel restricting compared to the overworld exploration of VI.
>>
>part 7
>>
>>4210028
I don't know anything about the Steam version, but the original pc port had midi music that sounded awful no matter what soundcard my friend used. Might not be an issue now, but definitely something to look into.

Don't pay attention to the trolls. The game isn't pefect and got overhyped but is very worth playing.
>>
>>4210090
Yes the psx version. Emulate it on your computer or a psp if your tv sucks that bad.
>>
>>4210180
>VI has better story, gameplay, and graphics
wrong on all accounts
materia > espers
VI's story falls apart after the world of balance
and while VII's character models are bad, the prerendered backgrounds look great and make each location memorable
>>
>>4210256
and nothing in VII is as melodramatic as Terra or Celes
>>
>>4210151
Reverse this statement and it's true. It's now the "cool" thing to hate FF6, just like it was the "cool" thing to hate FF7 about ten years ago
>>
Trying to claim that 6 is better than 7 or 7 is better than 6 is like trying to claim Super Mario World is better than Super Mario 3, or vice versa.

They're very similar games, but ultimately a lot different in various ways; too different to really compare in any meaningful way.
>>
>>4210261
Actually, it's now the "cool" thing to say that the "cool" thing to hate FF7 about ten years ago (more like this thread) has reversed to now the "cool" thing being to hate FF6.
>>
>>4210028
>I'm playing pc version atm with reunion mod installed and its great so far.

But i already played through it several years ago so..
>>
File: texas.png (68KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
texas.png
68KB, 320x240px
>>4210028
There's nothing superior about the PC version unless you want to do speedrunning

The PC version was poorly put together with a lot of cheap work-arounds in the code with memory allocation.

An example of this being the Yuffie recruitment scene which is the only part of the game which transitions from world map, battle and then to a field map. PC version did a cheap save map position dump and it became an easy exploit to warp other save file data to other saves.

Also the higher resolution does no favours for the look of the 3D field models which stand out like a sore thumb on pre-rendered backgrounds whereas glorious 240p blends them together a little better.

Sure you can mod it but every custom model mod I've seen looks absolutely terrible
>>
>>4210090
Get the PC, PS4, or emulate the PSX version. This game isn't worth playing on that shitty PAL.
>>
>>4210638

It's such a fucking shame Square gave the PC team nothing to work with, higher resolution versions of the pre-renders could have made a huge difference and they're almost certainly deleted forever now.

And yeah, the mods are pure novelty, almost all of them completely clash with the aesthetic and when you get down to it looking at PS2-tier models in 15fps battles is dumb.
>>
>>4211059
Well, I could start the game in NTSC through the video options in Import Player Light, the problem is just that the screen stretches vertically, beyond my TV's borders whenever I do that, no matter the resolution.
Is there any hardware that can fix this phenomenom?

I can still see everything in colour, due to my RGB SCART, though.
>>
>>4210036
The fast forward and no encounters features are only in the iPhone, Japanese PC and PS4 versions.
The European and American PC versions don't have it, even if the iPhone and PS4 versions are.

>>4210028
The digital version is better, it has higher resolution FMVs (the physical version has lower quality FMVs than the PSOne version) and it has the original PSOne music since the physical version only had inferior MIDI versions.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.