[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SEGA Saturn General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13

SEGA Saturn General

Whoa. Just found out that mednafen emulates this system pretty well. What games should I play?

I got:

Daytona USA: Wow, this game sucks. Shitload of popups and jaggy ass graphics.

Fighters Megamix: Why are there 3 different versions?

Die Hard Arcade: Pretty solid port.

Shinobi: Haven't played it yet but heard some good things about it.

Games I plan on getting:
-Guardian Heroes
-Dragon Force

What games should I play?
>>
>>4209182
Okay, seems there's an upgraded version of Daytona USA. Hopefully, that doesn't have such shitty popups.
>>
What I coincidence, I just downloaded a couple of Isos:
-The cotton games
-Madou monogatari
-Magical Rayearth
-Sonic R
-shining force 3
-panzer dragoon

Would like some vn recommendations.

Also I think there were adult only titles on the saturn, would be interesting to try some.
>>
Saturn Bomberman is the absolute best bomberman. You should definitely play it.
>>
>>4209182
Deep Fear is fun if you like Resident Evil clones.

I'm struggling to remember the name of the side-scroller that worked like Ikaruga.
>>
>>4209294
Radiant Silvergun.
>>
>>4209296
>>4209294
>I'm struggling to remember the name of the side-scroller that worked like Ikaruga.
It was Silhouette Mirage.
I remembered that the Saturn's version of Symphony of the Night has some extra content.
>>
>>4209182
is a shiturn worth getting for the phobe gdemu thing?
>>
File: virtualon-cover.jpg (29KB, 250x420px) Image search: [Google]
virtualon-cover.jpg
29KB, 250x420px
An absolute must
>>
File: thorseireiohkiden[1].jpg (229KB, 709x709px) Image search: [Google]
thorseireiohkiden[1].jpg
229KB, 709x709px
>>4209182
>>
Sega Rally
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighter's Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Last Bronx
Dragon Force
NiGHTS
Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Virtual On
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Nightstalkers
Dark Savior
Guardian Heroes
Saturn Bomberman
Burning Rangers
>>
>>4209182
Assault Suit Leynos
Battle Arena Toshinden
Die Hard
DonPachi
Fatal Fury
Fighting Vipers
Gungriffon
The House of the Dead
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Skeleton Warriors
Tryrush Deppy
Virtua Cop 2
X-Men games

Any other good games confirmed to not work. kek
>>
>>4209197
Get the japanese circuit edition. It's the best version going.
>>
I can't get Guardian Heroes to have music. I get music on SSF so wat da hell?
>>
Got a refurbished console from dkoldies for like $39. Has just the core console. Got 2 Japanese Saturn controllers for $22. Next thing I need are the AV cables, cheap game and an Action Replay. Going to use pseudo saturn. Plan on playing Deep Fear.
>>
>>4209182
>Fighters Megamix: Why are there 3 different versions?

It was released in 3 different regions? But that applies to most US games, so I don't know what you mean by 3 versions.
>>
It's such a goddamn shame that the only options to play this on 240p are:

-Dealing with setting up a modern PC so it can be connected to a TV like that with all the software/hardware involved
-Buying the actual console

I mean, can it even be modded at all?
>>
Powerslave aka Exhumed.

Amazing game and the Saturn is what it was developped for and is better than the PS1 version.
You'll love the bomb jump.
>>
>>4210092
>I mean, can it even be modded at all?
Yes. Swap trick, mod chip, Pseudosaturn (soft mod using cartridge slot), and now we're getting flash memory replacements for the CD drive too. There are a ton of different ways to play copied games on a Saturn. There's no fucking excuse anymore.
>>
>>4209182
>mednafen
>not playing on an actual console with a CRT TV
>poorfag confirmed
>>
>>4210371
Don't forget the Satiator which will plug into the unused VCD card slot and load games from USB in a non-retarded format. Things just keep getting better.
>>
>>4210403
An actual saturn would probably cost less than a rig that could emulate saturn in mednafen without issues.
>>
>>4210461
Order of magnitude less, in fact. A JP Saturn and a PseudoSaturn cart together shouldn't cost more than $100.
>>
>>4210371
What the heck, I didn't know it had several ways. I just wanted to play burned CDs, that's all. What would be the cheapest way then? Maybe I'll grab a saturn.
>>
>>4210461
PC MASTER RACE WINS AGAIN
wait, you're correct.
>>
>>4209182
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. I'm not sure if the Saturn version is censored, but for some reason I could not get fatalities to work.
>>
Solar Eclipse. Hidden gem on the Saturn.
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 308x191px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 308x191px
>>4209667
No, I'm not referring to the regions.

There's like 3 different discs for the Japanese version alone.
>>
>>4210605
>.ccd files for Saturn
Well there's your problem, you're retarded.
>>
>>4210609
I didn't make it obviously. I downloaded it. It works fine btw.
>>
>>4210612
Stuff for Saturn in .ccd format usually indicates a shitty rip. Redump only has two entries for Fighters Megamix JP, both are version 1.001, which is to say identical.
>>
>>4210620
>redump

Cool. I'll be using those now. Found a site with all the games. thx
>>
>>4210620
>(1M)
>(2M)
>etc

Do you know what those stand for?
>>
Okay so i got my saturn about 6 months a go with a mod chip and was working great. Now i can play real games and its pretty much stopped reading burned games now. Sometimes i can play for like 10mins but itll kick me back to the bios eventually. Anyone got a fix for this shit?
>>
>>4210537
>What would be the cheapest way then?
Swap trick is cheapest but annoying as all hell to do every time you want to play something.
Mod chips are probably second cheapest, unless you factor in either paying someone to install it for you or the work of having to do it yourself.
Pseudosaturn is the least hassle, but more expensive (like >>4210463 said you can still probably get a complete setup for $100 or less)
The options that bypass the CD drive altogether are (I think) the most expensive and are in limited supply.
>>
>>4210549
>PC Master Race
Autistic virgin confirmed
>>
>>4210651
>Redump.org set out to digitally preserve ALL video games that were released on optical media.
When they say ALL, they mean ALL. This means if a game had any corrections or bug fixes introduced in a future release, such as in the "Greatest Hits" re-release, they would have dumped the original and the re-release.

Often the changes are minor and not noticeable.
Unless you are trying to grab the ENTIRE COLLECTION, there is no need to download multiple versions of the same game. Often downloading the most current release is good enough.
Essentially the content is likely identical, but if there was, for example, a SataKore re-release, the game will be dumped again, even if the game data itself is unchanged. It probably doesn't matter which one you use.
>>
>>4209350
ODEs aren't worth it unless you're an ultra saturn collector, just make a pseudosaturn cart and start burning decent quality CD-Rs
>>
>>4210620
>Stuff for Saturn in .ccd format usually indicates a shitty rip.

Nope, that all depends on the disc crcs, and most ccd rips out there match redump but also include subcodes which redump DOES NOT. So much for redump being the most complete rips around - their shit doesn't even work on Rhea.

>>4210605
>>4210651
They are different pressings, the game was popular so they had to make many, many print runs. Some end up with things like half a bit offset in the audio or some such shit, hence all the 1M 2M P1K P2K etc variations.

>>4210714
Those are just audio variations, not re-release variations. Re-release variations would be marked with a higher version number, or marked with a (SATAKORE) tag (the name of the re-release label).
>>
do you need the saturn ram upgrade?
>>
>>4211218
Only if you want to play inferior arcade ports.
>>
>>4211191
That's because Rhea lacks a .cue parser and has retarded file naming conventions. Yet another reason to look forward to the Satiator.
>>
>>4211431
>That's because Rhea lacks a .cue parser and has retarded file naming conventions.

It's not because of the cue parser, it's because it has to feed data with a proper gap and subcode structure to the system, and with a bin/cue it would need to generate a lot of missing data - they are just incomplete dumps.

dunno what you mean about retarded naming conventions, you can just copy over any ccd rip into its folder and it'll load fine. The only limit is that the folders have to be numbered, but there's a menu loader that allows you to make named folder lists.

>Yet another reason to look forward to the Satiator.

That thing has been under development for what, 4 years now? Yeah, good luck waiting for that.
>>
>>4211253
Inferior as in the only differences are small screen ratio adjustments and some small audio sifferences but retain the full speed and sprite animation and most of the times include extra content? I'm in.
>>
>>4211440
>but retain the full speed

They don't, they all have either slowdown or frameskip depending on game. Maybe Darkstalkers 3 is the only one that didn't have problems.

>and sprite animation
Only the very late 4mb ram cart games had full sprite animation, everything else was missing a lot.

>and most of the times include extra content?
Yeah, for like, 4 or 5 (SF Alpha 1-2-3, X-men COTA, maybe Metal Slug). Everything else was completely barebones.
>>
>>4211478
>they all have either slowdown or frameskip depending on game
Source?
>Only the very late 4mb ram cart games had full sprite animation
Real Bout Special from 1996 uses 1MB and has full sprite animation.
>Everything else was completely barebones.
You're wrong and only mentioned a few of Capcom games and Metal Slug, there's more games that used the RAM cart.
Also, most of them have at least a few extra options that aren't found on the original arcade.

The Saturn ports are worth it, even if they're not 100% 1:1 with the arcade PCB, most of them are regarded as some of the best conversions ever.
If you want ports with obscene cut frames and missing animations, there's the PS1 ports.
>>
>>4211489
>Source?
I own the games and play them on my Saturn?

>Real Bout Special from 1996 uses 1MB and has full sprite animation.

glitches out on action replay, real quality port.

>You're wrong and only mentioned a few of Capcom games and Metal Slug, there's more games that used the RAM cart.

I don't feel like making a list because you'd just dismiss them as minor faults or some such bullshit.

>most of them are regarded as some of the best conversions ever.

holy shit no, they were good ports for the 90s, when the only alternative were the shit PS1 ports or buying an AES. There's no fucking point in them today because you can play the arcade ones directly today, and they don't cost $200 either.
>>
I'll give someone $10 in the sacramento area to help me homebrew my saturn
>>
>>4210686
In the future I might just grab a saturn with pseudosaturn then. I just don't want to spend those $100 on the solution alone, but I would for both things.
>>
>>4210371
>no excuse
You could try going outside for once.
>>
>>4210687
You're not suppose to hold the radar with your own bare hand dumbfuck, the only person you detected is yourself.
>>
>>4211673
Why the fuck would anyone want to go outside when they have the whole Sega Saturn library available to them?
>>
>>4211513
>I own the games and play them on my Saturn?
So where's the source? Actual examples?
>glitches out on action replay
False.
>I don't feel like making a list because you'd just dismiss them as minor faults or some such bullshit.
What minor faults? I was telling you there's more than just these few Capcom games that feature extra options.
>There's no fucking point in them today because you can play the arcade ones directly today, and they don't cost $200 either.
Then do that yourself. Other people might want to play these games on the Saturn, and they will, and there's nothing really you can do other than whine and tell lies.
>>
should i buy this for $10?

>Description: Bought it from pink gorilla on a craze sale. Should work.
>>
>>4211435
>That thing has been under development for what, 4 years now? Yeah, good luck waiting for that.

Guy was doing it in his spare time while doing his doctorate. Hes putting more time into it now, has a patreon and is sending out prototypes to backers soon.
>>
>>4211513
>glitches out on action replay, real quality port
Those are 4mb.
>>
>>4211917
It's false anyway, RBS works with the action replay.
>>
File: ssf.png (164KB, 1154x965px) Image search: [Google]
ssf.png
164KB, 1154x965px
Keio flying squadron 2 is pretty cool and funny
>>
>>4211894
Inquire if the CD drive works. They're known to die after a while.
>>
>>4211916
>Guy was doing it in his spare time while doing his doctorate. Hes putting more time into it now,

Since then he started a family, guess what will take more of his time now.

>has a patreon and is sending out prototypes to backers soon.

Yeah, that's what people said here half a year ago too. Nothing happened since.
>>
>>4211886
>So where's the source? Actual examples?

The fuck do you mean where's the source? Play the game on the Saturn, then play the arcade version, you'll notice that the Saturn versions will always have slowdown or missing frames. There are maybe 2 Capcom ports which don't have either (Darkstalkers 3 and SFA3).
>>
Any translations for the ending cutscenes in Bulk Slash?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IrumH7yLBY
>>
>>4212264
It's not a PlayStation, anon
>>
>>4212276
At least he's been looking into channels for mass manufacturing, which is more than GDEMU/Rhea. Those will forever stay hobbyist projects with limited availability.
>>
>>4209275
You need a lot of friends to fully enjoy
>>
Which genres of game are superior on the Saturn that would make it preferable over a PSX?
You cannot suggest arcade ports because those are better played on MAME.
>>
File: SATURN ALIENWARE.jpg (4MB, 4272x2848px)
SATURN ALIENWARE.jpg
4MB, 4272x2848px
>>4212389
>implying Rhea is difficult to find
>>
>>4212964
>MAME
that's emulation though.

I'd say anything 2D other than SOTN, which Saturn port was handled by a c-team.
>>
lunacy with the step by step walkthrough on gamefaqs. funny little fmv early-90's cg game. it even has bad voice acting
>>
>>4212972
i just got my rhea and replaced my modchip. 128gb sd card maoes my saturn golden.
>>
Is the usa version of Saturn Bomberman playeable on mednafen?
>>
>>4212964
>MAME
moar liek MEME
>>
>>4209182
>Just found out that mednafen emulates this system pretty well.
SSF emulates it even better, since about 12 years ago.
>>4210651
They use the ram cart. Either 1M 2M or 4M.
>>4211218
For some games it is mandatory.
>>4211440
Capcom ports are fantastic, they use all 4M. Some SNK ports are a bit shit coz they only use 1M. (See Waku Waku 7 for eg).
>>4211513
>glitches out on action replay, real quality port.
That's rubbish but even if it was tru - the AR is a dodgy unofficial third party product that physically destroys your cartridge slot because the PCB is far too thick.
>>4211886
>So where's the source? Actual examples?
Use your eyes.
>>4213620
Pretty sure it is, yes.
>>
>>4214035
I lied, Dungeons and Dragons only uses 1M, and only on the second game.
>>
>>4209275
Neo Geo had a Bomberman, I dare say it's badass.
>>
>>4214035
>That's rubbish but even if it was tru -
Not rubbish, some SNK games only work with 1mb carts, and glitch out with 4mb. The AR is a 4mb cart.

>the AR is a dodgy unofficial third party product
Agreed, but the SNK games glitch out on official 4mb carts too. They are shoddy ports.

>that physically destroys your cartridge slot because the PCB is far too thick.

This is an old urban legend that has been proven untrue time and time again. People have measured the cart thickness, and it is the same as the official carts. In fact it's an industry standard pcb thickness too.

The cart slot is just shit, whether you use third party or first party carts.
>>
RBS works well with the AR anyway. It works with both the 1MB and 4MB RAM carts (it says so on the cover), and there's no problem with the AR.
>>
>>4214678
Yeah, Sega cheaped out on the cart slot hard. Fortunately you should really only need to plug in the cartridge once and just leave it, so it's unlikely to fail outright.
>>
>>4214081
Neo Geo Bomberman only has 1v1 multiplayer, which is anything but badass.
>>
File: Shitattle Racist Poo.png (1MB, 954x699px) Image search: [Google]
Shitattle Racist Poo.png
1MB, 954x699px
bunch of japs are selling saturns for cheap on ebay, how easy is it to region mod the console?
>>
>>4215348
Just buy an Action Replay or do something like Pseudo Saturn to load games on. Super easy, but if you're playing discs, you'll likely just be playing Japanese games anyway.
>>
>>4215353
i dont read jap. im just a cheap jew.
>>
File: 1500820905066.gif (352KB, 458x480px)
1500820905066.gif
352KB, 458x480px
>>4209182
Is it still difficult to emulate Saturn games? With the source codes for most of those games out in the wind, is the Saturn library in danger of becoming lost media once all the Saturns break and the discs rot? I hope Sega gets its bullshit in order if that's a possibility.
>>
>>4216086
It's literally impossible to emulate.
>>
>>4216097
SSF exists man.
>>
>>4216104
Closed source. Windows only.
>>
My Saturn's internal memory died out twenty years ago and it still hurts.

I had 100% complete files of Guardian Heroes. PanzerDragoon Remix, Nocturne in the Moonlight Both Lunar 1 and 2, Sega Rally Championship, DragonForce, etc on that thing. And those dogshit after market memory cards from the 90's didn't help either. And the Dreamcast games on Steam sold like shit so Sega won't spread its legs for the any time soon.
>>
>>4216097
>It's literally impossible to emulate.

I can name 5 functional emulators for it from the top of my head (plus one unreleased), though out of those only SSF and Mednafen are the ones that actually play games well.

>>4216108
Yeah, that means that only 90% of computer owners can use it. How horrible.
>>
>>4216086
Beetle Saturn in Retroarch works really well. I'd put it between N64 and PlayStation emulation, closer to PlayStation. Definitely playable now.
>>
>>4216130
>I can name 5 but only 2 of them work
>>
No one EVER mentions Shining the Holy Ark yet it's one of the best rpgs made. Ever.

Also Nights is an incredibly over rated game. Never understood the love it gets at all.
>>
>>4216170
I'm one of the crazies that prefers Shining Wisdom
>>
>>4216170
Nights is a beautiful piece of art and a technical marvel but a pretty mediocre game.
>>
>>4216202
I wonder how many IBM Aptivas actually got shilled into peoples houses thanks to Nights.
>>
>>4216170
Call me a faggot, but I couldn't really get into shining the holy ark.
>>
File: 1446709263374.jpg (53KB, 460x362px) Image search: [Google]
1446709263374.jpg
53KB, 460x362px
whats the going price for a complete system? shit is expensive on ebay
>>
>>4216459
In my country they're pretty expensive too. It seems cheaper to get japanese ones. I wonder if those work with SCART RGB cables, there's this one store that sells them for pretty much every retro platform under the sun.
>>
File: 608.jpg (34KB, 680x734px)
608.jpg
34KB, 680x734px
my plan is to buy a jap saturn and then region mod it but theyre untested even with the cables. roll the dice?
>>
>>4216475
90% of Saturns turn on. What you should worry about is the laser or disc motor. You have a higher chance of having a working untested Japanese Saturn over a Western version.
>>
>>4216123
Just change out the battery annually; you will lose your game saves. I personally would go with the action replay 3-in-1. Beware of any other third parties because the connectors are bit thicker for the cartridge slot. Within time it could damage it.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.