[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Petty things that ruin games for you? Any RPG with this kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: ps2.jpg (40KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
40KB, 480x269px
Petty things that ruin games for you?

Any RPG with this kind of combat, especially if you can't even see your characters. Completely sucks me out of the entire experience instantly.
>>
>>4208206
Interface irritation is probably the single biggest one. This can range from petty to actually significant depending on how bad it is. But like I won't replay Exile 1, while I will for 2 and 3, because you have to constantly manually look at things instead of just right clicking when adjacent like the later games let you do.
>>
>>4208206
>rpg grind going good, get to fairly high level
>new enemy char has random, unpreventable insta-death capability
>>
File: IMG_2673.gif (466KB, 400x222px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2673.gif
466KB, 400x222px
>game with modern city setting
>game has generic artstyle
>quick time events
>every few steps character dialogue pops up
>>
File: latest[1].png (151KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
151KB, 800x599px
>>4208206
does the first person perspective bother you, or the fact that the combat is turn based?
I like turn based, but I don't care for the first person perspective, doesn't ruin the game for me though

diagonal view is best imo
>>
>>4208417
Turn based is perfectly fine. It's the first person view point, combined with the unanimated/barely animated enemy sprites, the lack of seeing my characters, and just how static and lifeless it makes the combat feel.
>>
File: minibarf[1].png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
minibarf[1].png
8KB, 256x224px
When a game is just a worse version of an older game
>>
>>4208527
An older game that you didn't play later though.
>>
>>4208537
I've been pretty aware of console games as they were released all along but I have definitely experienced that going back and playing computer games. I had some real cognitive dissonance going on because I was too poor to really be a computer gamer until the late 2000s when the Moore's Law started collapsing.
>>
I wont play anything with 3D graphics. They all look like shit.
>>
>>4208221
>new enemy char has random, unpreventable insta-death capability
I hate this. Also when enemies in Persona lock you with critical attacks until you die.
It feels really cheap.
>>
>>4208206
>platforming game
>character can't duck

Trash'd
>>
>>4208206
>Any RPG with this kind of combat, especially if you can't even see your characters. Completely sucks me out of the entire experience instantly.
But dude you can totally see your characters, they even have little weapon swinging and spell casting attack animations.
>>
File: 251730_20161215193859_1.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
251730_20161215193859_1.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>4208616
Your loss
>>
>>4208206
You've missed out on some amazing games for a really stupid reason. I feel bad for you.
>>
>>4208221
>there I was making sure nothing in the game would challenge me even a little and then they go and make me think anyways.

FUCK!!
>>
>>4210675
Make you think what? Instant death isn't a new level of strategy, it's pure luck if you get hit by a bad RNG roll and nothing else.
>>
>>4208206
I never stopped playing a game because of it, but one of my biggest pet peeves were always IMPORTANT TERMS and NAMES being CAPITALIZED. I played through all the PHANSTAR games but it was never not an EYESORE. I don't even get why this was a thing. Did the JPN VERS have some sort of emphasis analogous to English's capitalization? Or did they just think that AMERN GAMERS were retarded?
>>
>>4210679
>>4210675
Its like they have never even played an RPG before.

In many games there are situations where even high level parties can get their shit pushed in and there really is no way to avoid it.

In Wizardry what do you even do if you get ambushed by like 8 Poison Giants who all hit you with their breath for 40 damage each?
>>
>>4210679
Use a spell or skill to end the battle quickly, consider items in your inventory, if it's mega ten then talk, run, etc etc.

It forces you to approach the battle with something other than just mash attack till you win and heal if necessary. To me that's a good thing, but I like a game to give some challenge beyond just grind for levels.
>>
>>4210675
I can't even think of a game that has unfair instant death unless you're playing SMT Nocturne for the first time after only playing FF, and I don't even mean that in a derogatory way.

What's more likely to get you killed in a JRPG is a sudden difficulty spike in a new area or getting hit by a large mob.
>>
>>4210741
Just throwing out a wild ass guess, but maybe those terms were written in katakana in Japanese instead of hiragana. Translators didn't know how else to show the difference except caps. Maybe?
>>
>>4210465
If you can't duck in a platformer then the game is obviously going to be designed in such a way that ducking wouldn't be of much use anyway. Why would Mega Man need to duck? He wouldn't, so the same does not suffer.
>>
>>4210747
>In Wizardry what do you even do if you get ambushed by like 8 Poison Giants who all hit you with their breath for 40 damage each?
Save Scum and try again.
>>
>>4210741
It's more than likely that the capitalised terms were all variables, not an actual part of the script. The translator would type 'go get the $t4' and the text would read 'go get the FOURTHNG'. The same is often true of character names, even in games where you can't change them.
>Or did they just think that AMERN GAMERS were retarded?
It's a fair assumption to make, they were and are.
>>
>>4208206
Horizontal camera controls that are inverted and can't be changed...or you can change them but it reverses the vertical controls. I'm not sure this applies to anything /vr/ related though, it mostly just pissed me off with DQ8.
>>
>>4210856
Important terms in Japanese are often put in brackets, similar to how other languages use italics. These old games didn't have the space to toss in an entire caps/lowercase italic character set (which would most likely have looked like ass anyway), so they used caps instead.
>>
>>4208206
I used to think like this when I was younger, but it grew on me. I would definitely still take anything that shows my characters over a first person view, but there's a certain appeal to the simplistic first person view, I dunno, maybe it's the fact that it leaves more to the imagination and my mental image of my character using a weapon or spell is often more badass than anything the simplistic 16-bit graphics can pull. It works particularly well in Dragon Quest at least, specially III with the custom characters.

That said you picked a bad example because Phantasy Star's battle system is actually fairly animated despite the first person view.
>>
>>4208206
I'm right there with you OP. I'm not a big fan of traditional turn-based JRPGs unless they are strategy games like FFT or Disgaea in general, but this particular perspective is pure cancer.

For me, one of my biggest pet peeves is when you get a new item, weapon, armor etc. and your sprite doesn't change at all. I don't know why, it triggers my autism like none other.
>>
stupid shit where you have to equip the potion/herb/tonic first in order to use it
>>
>>4208206
Children or stupid and glam ugly characters that try to save the world in a very serious unrealistic cheesy emotional story aka almost all final fantasies after 6 and japanese story telling and japanese folklore (like japanese ghosts) kill any enjoyment and feel like a waste of time.
>>
>>4208206
When enemies can stun-lock you, drop your accuracy to almost nothing or otherwise render you unable to do anything but watch yourself die.
>>
>>4211301
Unless of course there are bullets aimed at his head
>>
File: u4jhelom.png (66KB, 658x440px) Image search: [Google]
u4jhelom.png
66KB, 658x440px
>>4208206
>Any RPG with this kind of combat, especially if you can't even see your characters
It was 1989 and 90% of RPGs at the time only had text for your character in combat. You never got to see them at all outside of a status screen (assuming the status screen wasn't 100% text as well). People seem to forget how old PS2 is. You saw more of your characters in it than in almost any other RPG at the time.

Might and magic, wizardry, ultima, bards tale, etc all dominated the RPG landscape of 88/89. If you saw your characters at all it was pic related (ultima IV).
>>
>>4212217
>(assuming the status screen wasn't 100% text as well)
What games had pictures in the status screen? BT, Gold Box and Dungeon Master come to mind but that's about it.
Portraits for NPCs and shops were also rare.
>>
>>4211972
meow
>>
File: wei1.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
wei1.png
3KB, 256x224px
>>4212260
Destiny of an Emperor had portraits in the status screens for all party members and even enemies. Still one of my favorite RPGs ever, and it is what introduced me to the three kingdoms characters.
>>
The clunky design of old cRPGs makes these games unplayable, makes it worse when I'm actually beginning to really enjoy the story... but I can't continue because instead of fighting or using "flask" on skeleton I have to open it in battle. And that's if the red ruby in my inventory doesn't kill me first because I had no clue I wasn't supposed to have picked it up 3 hours ago and now my save is fucked.
>>
>>4212319
Those games were not designed to be played for story. They're games first. And not JRPGs where it's just mash attack and heal on bosses. If you don't like the kind of game it is, go read a Dragonlance novel instead.
>>
>>4208206

This. I've tolerated it for DQ and Lufia though. It is a sure way to put a game near the bottom of my "Must Play" list.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (46KB, 390x650px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
46KB, 390x650px
>>4211972
First thing I thought of was Chrono Cross. A kid creatively named Kid and this tranny go off to save the universe.
>>
>>4211972
>Children or stupid and glam ugly characters that try to save the world in a very serious unrealistic cheesy emotional story
Sounds just like Grandia 3.

>almost all final fantasies after 6
I'll argue that pre-VI actually had more joke characters than VII and up. There's Cait Sith and others but VI alone has Gau, Relm, Mog, Gogo, Umaro AND Kefka if you really want to be strict in your definition.
>>
>>4212629
How are Gau, Relm, Mog, Gogo, and Umaro joke characters?
>>
>>4212612
That's glam, not drag you twerp.
>>
>>4213248
I think we wanted to say that they're funny because of the lines given.
>>
>>4208417
*Third person
>>
>>4212112
Like in every mega man game :^)
>>
>>4212112
He can jump over anything aimed at his head.
>>
>>4208206
I cant stand the combat of Diablo, dont know why, but bores me to death.
>>
>>4210479
What game is that?
>>
>>4213616
Then he has no idea what a joke character is
>>
>>4208206
You have to pay if you want to continue from the nearest checkpoint. Or in this particular case, 50% of you money. Pleb, git gud, yeah I know but I felt like this was a really dickish move from the developers. Fuck you Brave Fencer Musashi.
>>
>>4214156
Legend of Grimrock 2
>>
>>4208206
I hate this menu driven rpg convention. I prefer srpg but admittedly it's kind of the same menu useage.
>>
>>4214359
you could always just reset
>>
>>4208560
Congratulations on reading about Earthbound Beginnings on Nintendo Power. Nice hat.
>>
>>4211972
Characters in FF are hardly ever children, they're almost always adults or very near that age. And what's the problem with Japanese folklore? This is the first time I've heard a person hating on the traditional Japanese aesthetic.
>>
>>4208919
Persona 4 has an enemy that either reflects or absorbs physical, and also inflicts berserk. They appear three at a time, and if you don't turn-1 them, just reset the console.
>>
>>4208527
dragon quest doesn't have enemies on the map or rolling HP meter though.
Or psychedelic backgrounds.
>>
>>4211323
Of course, which is what I did.

My point here being that there are circumstances that are likely enough to occur in a given game that are impossible to avoid regardless of how strong or how well prepared your party is.

Another example is the possibility for Silver Batboons in Dragon Quest 2 casting a spell that has a 100% chance of hitting and wiping your party. It is designed to also kill the caster but that balance doesn't mean anything to an enemy encounter.
>>
>>4213248
Relm is the best spellcaster in the game, and and Gogo is versatile enough to be super strong without any complicated build required even though he is a gimicky secret character.
>>
>>4216972
>My point here being that there are circumstances that are likely enough to occur in a given game that are impossible to avoid regardless of how strong or how well prepared your party is.
Unless you're playing a roguelike that wipes your save after death, there's rarely a circumstance where you cannot go back and recover from a party wipe unless the game doesn't allow you to learn from your mistakes for some odd reason.

In either case, it doesn't make instant death attacks any less bullshit, because dying from a single attack through no fault of your own isn't challenging, it just becomes a coin flip to see who dies first.

There's a reason why most games don't take inspiration from minesweeper.
>>
>>4216967

>Or psychedelic backgrounds.
Another thing Earthbound ripped off
>>
>>4216972
>My point here being that there are circumstances that are likely enough to occur in a given game that are impossible to avoid regardless of how strong or how well prepared your party is.

You say all that like its a bad thing
>>
>>4213248
Joke character was a poor choice of terms. I mentioned Quina before editing my post and left that in there.

That anon doesn't like children, stupid and glam characters and FFVI has Gau who is a beastchild, Relm is a sassy child. Mog is a talking fairy beast creature, Gogo is a sexually ambigious mime dressed in a loud, flamboyant outfit, Umaro is a yeti and Kefka is dressed like a clown.
>>
>>4217326
>Another thing Earthbound ripped off
Pic unrelated? I only see a volcanic landscape back there.
>>
>>4216931
Cloud was 21. That's basically still an infant.
>>
File: Bait.jpg (81KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
Bait.jpg
81KB, 625x790px
>>4217987
>>
>>4220040
>t. triggered 21 year old millennial
>>
>>4208206
>Any RPG with this kind of combat,
In more ways than one. Gotta love, "attack or run" but no choice in which one you attack. Might as well not even play the game, the story was shit anyway.
>>
File: 1500015259254.gif (788KB, 466x315px) Image search: [Google]
1500015259254.gif
788KB, 466x315px
>>4208206
>Petty things that ruin games for you?
I dropped Bahamut Lagoon as soon as I learned that Byuu gets cucked. I still don't regret it.
>>
>>4217987
>>4220349
>heh, I sounded so badass. I'll surely get tons of upvotes now
>>
>>4208206
I think you might enjoy Hylics particularly. Has first person animations where you can see your hands perform actions in a turn-based setting. It's pretty dope.
>>
>>4216980
Terra and Celes are still going to overtake Relm's magic stat unless you run a low-level game.
>>
>>4220768
literally seething
>>
>>4208206
When the difficulty of a section lies entirely in having to grind for gold to buy a quadrillion status healing items before you get there because the random-encounter enemies can inflict all the status effects except death on your entire party in one turn. If this section is less than 1/3 of the way through the game, the dungeon treasure had damn well better be the fucking Amulet of Status Immunity or something like that.
>>
>>4210675
is it really a challenge if you can only think up a strategy after he kills you on the first turn when you didn't know anything that he would do unless you looked up a strategy guide to check an enemy list?
games aren't perfect, most have at least one thing that wasn't well thought out.
>>
>>4211326
Why would being variables make them CAPS? clearly you've no idea wtf you're talking about.
>>
>>4223689
Him killing you doesn't delete your game, it only sets you back. So yes, you could go in having read up about everything in a strategy guide, or you could discover naturally that those enemies are extremely dangerous and scary by having one murder some or all of your party and then you look for ways to take steps to avoid or mitigate it.

I find that aspect of a game fun, but not everyone does. Not liking it doesn't make it "bad" though.
>>
>>4208221
>Level 70 of ancient cave
>Been a tough run, hope I don't..
>Fuck. 2 Blue chests.
>Which is legit again?
>...
>Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
>>
>>4220349
No, John. You are the millennials
>>
>>4224054
No u. When the vars are translated they were obviously done without context. Some berk put them in all caps without any fucks given to how it would look when used in a sentence. I never suggested that making them all caps was a wise thing to do but I perfectly explained exactly why the dialogue containing vars returned the values those vars were set to, you utter twat.

tl;cr (the C is for couldn't) 80's/90's translators were just illiterate and you might be too.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.