[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your thoughts on the rewind feature on the SNES classic console?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: SNES_Mini_Box.jpg (893KB, 1703x1256px) Image search: [Google]
SNES_Mini_Box.jpg
893KB, 1703x1256px
Nintendo revealed today that the upcoming SNES Classic edition will feature a rewind function which allowes you to rewind your gameplay.

So essentially they're "casualling down" the old classics.

What do you guys think, is it good or bad? On the other hand, you don't need to use the feature, if you want to play the games like they used to be.

The trailer and my thoughts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL3OZQcU5Ts
>>
I think anyone paying that much for a raspberry pi Snes emulator doesn't care very much if things are "casualed down."
>>
>>4207223
Yeah, that's a good point!
But there are a lot of potential collectors etc, who would like to add this to their collection too!
>>
Emulation machine has an emulation function. More news at 11.
>>
>>4207232
But Nintendo is advertising this as a "Classic edition" or classic console, not as an emulator >:)
>>
How could anyone be stupid enough to buy one of these things in the first place? Who cares if it does something other emulators have done for years?
>>
i'd rather have save states
>>
>>4207250
I agree, but if I'm not wrong, the function is in the console. Nes classic edition had it too.
>>
>>4207250
It has both
>>
A Wii is worth much more than this
>>
File: scumodayerf.png (53KB, 583x327px) Image search: [Google]
scumodayerf.png
53KB, 583x327px
>>4207304
this.
>>
It will change how people experience the games, but the passage of time has already done that.

desu I'm still asspained about DKC2's absence.
>>
>>4207248
BUT MUH NOSTALGIA

But seriously, I'm pretty sure the majority of non-scalpers that buy these will probably play a few of the games they grew up with and then move on to other stuff. It's a novelty item.
>>
>What do you think of this shitty function in an otherwise shitty piece of hardware?

I don't. Might as well be complaining about a drop of piss in a sea of piss. Whether or not Nintendo wants to casualize a glorified Pi box isn't going to change the fact that I have no desire to buy it in the first place.
>>
There's an audience for these machines. Not everyone has the ability or interest to emulate games on PC.
>>
Who cares, honestly. If you play games on an emulator you can choose to do the same shit. You can choose to use constant save states to get passed trickier sections much faster. You are playing a fucking single player game over 2 decades old, why would I even remotely care if you 'cheated' playing it.
>>
It'll be good for TAS
>>
>>4207823
This
>>
>>4207809
>not everyone has the ability to emulate games on pc

The SNES? You'd be hard fucking pressed to find an emulator that doesn't work on any hardware today. I mean fuck here are ZSNES req's

Windows 95/98/ME:
- 150MHz processor (500MHz recommended)
- 16MB of RAM (64MB recommended)
- 3D graphics accelerator required (nVidia GeForce 2 or equivalent
recommended)
- DirectX v8.1 or higher required

Windows NT/2000/XP:
- 200MHz processor (500MHz recommended)
- 32MB of RAM (64MB recommended)
- 3D graphics accelerator required (nVidia GeForce 2 or equivalent
recommended)
- DirectX v8.1 or higher required

and now snes9x
Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista/7.
DirectX 6.1b or later.
300MHz processor BARE MINIMUM (1GHz+ rec for best settings.)
16MB RAM BARE MINIMUM.
DirectSound capable sound card.

Even higan can be run on machines about ten years old.
>>
>>4207227
then I don't see how an optional feature will stop them.
>>
>>4207206
Just don't use it. I think it's a great feature when you're more interested in seeing the game than mastering it.
>>
I dont know if i should get this or just stick to my wii/crt/component combo. Do people generally consider Wii SNES VC good?
>>
>>4207830
I kinda meant ppl who don't know how to use emulators or don't know where or how to download them. PPL who played these games on the original system, but don't care so much for "pirating" the games.
>>
>>4207841
Yes, it's pretty good.
>>
>>4207841
>wii/crt/component combo
You are comparing Emulation on a wii vs the snes mini.

DESU, I think you are good. The only reason to purchase this is for nostalgia. The rest of us have been playing these games to death via emulation.

The ONLY thing that may be fun is hacking extra ROMs into the mix. Personally, Id stick with an SD cart and keep it retro-for-real.
>>
File: 1497304132126.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1497304132126.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
what's the best no-frills SNES emulator these days? Haven't touched an emulator in forever
>>
>>4207841

The thing is going to get hacked so you can add more ROMs to it. Really what you are paying for is a little emulation box inside of an SNES case, as well as having SNES controllers. Just like the NES classic people will slap other emulators in there.

VC emulation is very solid as far as I'm aware.
>>
At least it's definitely the final version of Star Fox 2... but there's not much difference from the 99% complete beta from what I can tell.
>>
>>4207962
People have the dump already?
>>
>>4207969
nah just watch the footage on youtube, there's changes (official translation, title screen etc)
>>
>>4207896
Bsnes or Snes9x 1.55 (NOT the version you find in the main site).
>>
Did pre orders start for real on these?
I'm seeing some listed on ebay.
I was one who had my order cancelled by shartmart
>>
>>4207990
Had the same happen to me, but I think real Walmart preorders went up today around 1 EST.
>>
>>4207206
WASTE OF MONEY & TIME!!!

Get yourself a RetroPie instead.
>>
>>4207242
>i don't know the nes classic is an emulator
lol
>>
>>4207304
I'll probably get myself one
>>
i already built a raspberry pi 3 because i know i'll never get one of these things.
>>
>>4208209
hopefully with a good heatsink
>>
i cant see myself justifing this just becase it can rewind oh wow big deal fast forward would be much better plus my snes is still working great and im sure the remake isnt really gonna solve the issue if your screen is over 36" its gonna look really bad super mario world looked like i was playing atari (remember in the 90's avg scn size was 32" to 36" 4:3 and the super scope wouldnt work very well on 36")

my favorite emulaters have been snes9x (dont use it anymore cuz i barlely use win)

now my curenent favorite is openemu which is built off snes9x with less features but its the best one i found so far with mac
>>
>>4207206
>The trailer and my thoughts:
>youtube link
>my thoughts
Oh, so you just started this thread to get views for your video then.
>>
>>4207248
Lots of freaks out there.
>>
>>4207962
So all that talk from anons here saying "But this dev who got a paid trip to Nintendo headquarters says their version is different!" was a load of shit? Color me surprised, I told them Nintendo didn't have anyone on staff capable of messing with the SuperFX or 65816 ASM. Hell, they probably had to hire a romhacker just to get someone to do the title screen for them.
>>
File: hacker.jpg (4KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
hacker.jpg
4KB, 275x184px
>>4208518
Lol. That could just be the reason. Why would they want to hack their own product tho
>>
I got a preorder in on Amazon. Pretty much just interested in it because it is the only official way to own a physical release of Star Fox 2.
>>
>>4209328
Is it even physical, technically it's just a rom inside an ARM chip.
>>
>>4209352
What is a game if not a rom inside a chip encased in plastic.
>>
>>4209360
Good point, didn't think that through. Still feels unauthentic somehow compared to cartridgechips.
>>
>>4209362
I feel the same
>>
>>4207206
Online play would actually make it worth what scalpers charge.
>>
>>4207206
>So essentially they're "casualling down" the old classics.
>What do you guys think, is it good or bad?

Personally, I'm indifferent because I won't be using the feature. It's clearly a feature meant for newer/casual players who haven't played these games before or just aren't very good at them. I think that it really isn't necessary for most of the games on the collection, but for something like Super Ghouls N Ghosts and Contra III, I can see why Nintendo would want to add something to help newer players get through these.

And like other people have said, emulators have been doing this kind of stuff for years now. This isn't new tech, and it's not surprising that Nintendo would include something like this. I'm not really sure why you even made this thread to discuss such a mundane "feature"
>>
do you think jonathan blow is pissed he didn't patent the rewind as a gameplay mechanic?
>>
>>4211393
Fuck that numale nigger Fatal Rewind on the Amiga/Megadrive did it first also Prince of Persia Sands of Time.
>>
>>4207849
Then they're retarded and should move to syria.
>>
>>4208141
No, the NES Mini used original hardware to create the most authentic NES experience, catered especially for the "core" gamer audience.
>>
>>4211393
>patenting gameplay mechanics
>>
>>4211707
Ah I get it, you're making fun of that one guy who came here on /vr/ a year or so ago when the NES classic was about to be released and who told anons on this board it would be the best emulation ever with specially designed chips or something.
6/10, not the worst bait.
>>
>>4211874
That was a good thread though
>>
They think people who buy Nintendo nowadays are either people who are nostalgic and want to have a quick flashback of their childhood because they are too busy working and don't have a lot of time to play, or people who buy games for their kids, and because those parents know how much time they spent to play as kids to video games, they don't want their own kids to do the same.

If you don't believe, then why every main Nintendo title is always simpler than in the past? Even rehash are always done easier.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.