[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How badly did I fuck myself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: mario facepalm.png (5KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mario facepalm.png
5KB, 500x500px
So I found my old SNES in a box in the attic and when I tried it out it just showed a black screen.(but different shade than the regular no video black screen of the CRTV with nothing hooked up).

I opened it up for cleaning and fixing. Inside I used my multimeter to measure the voltage regulation module. I bridged the input and output pins instead of either of those to the central ground (the correct way).

I put it back together and now the SNES won't even turn on (no power light). What kind of damage was caused and how do I fix it?

Fug, I should have desoldered the reset switch and see if that was causing it.
>>
was it plugged in ?
>>
>>4206712
There was like a 99% chance that the pin connector just needed heavy cleaning.
>>
>>4206712
It was probably just dirty.

There is a repair/mod thread here from times to times. Can't seem to find it atm.
>>
>>4206885
(And can you post a photo of the PCB?)
>>
This happened to me, i ended up just cleaning the cartridge slot and then everything was good. You over thought it
>>
>>4206712
You bridged the Voltage regulator? Most likely you just blew the voltage regulator. Your going to have to replace it, chance the fuse went too.
All the other annons are right though. Once you get it back on just clean the pin connector. Most builds of the SNES will allow you to pop off the pin connector so you can get a tooth brush & clean it with contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Clean the pin connector inside & out & the connectors on the board then reconnect it. Should work fine.
>>
File: SNES_picofuse[1].jpg (37KB, 563x299px) Image search: [Google]
SNES_picofuse[1].jpg
37KB, 563x299px
>>4207208
Nah, he just cut the regulator completely out by connecting the input (9v,1a) to the output (5v,<1.5a). I'm bad at electronic math but he probably BARELY blew the fuse (pic related). He can verify it's blown by testing it for continuity then if it were me (living "dangerously") I'd just short out the fuse to see if the console came back to life since as about fifty anons pointed out to me the other day I can't just go to Radio Shack anymore and unlike toggle switches I can't buy a 1.5a fuse at Autozone.
>>
OP here.
I was turned on when I did this.
I had already done a thorough cleaning with rubbing alcohol and toothbrush on the pin connector which I also removed from the motherboard.
>>
>>4207246
They sell all that stuff at Fry's, but that's no help if you live in some shitty flyover. I'm not sure what Fry's range even is, really, but I've only seen them in California. Here on the east coast Microcenter is great for most things but they don't have individually packaged components like that.
>>
>>4207483
You sick fucking bastard.
>>
>>4207483
You should have also cleaned the cartridges' edge connectors

>>4207503
Big box stores are terrible for buying little components like that. Hopefully in a few years I'll just be able to have a box up on the roof that Amazon will fire that kind of stuff into with a railgun from their distribution centers or maybe some Chinese company will have warehouses in orbit.
>>
>>4207956
If you just need one fuse or 5 LEDs or a toggle switch or something there is no difference between buying it at Fry's or Radio Shack. I don't know what you are complaining about, but if it's prices, who cares? Yes, you're paying probably 100 times more than the value of the object, but you also get it immediately, and even a markup of ten thousand percent is nothing when the original component cost less than a penny to make.

If you need ICs or clocks or something in similarly small quantities you should probably just order samples from the manufacturer though. You can get a lot of cool stuff that way. Takes a while though.
>>
>>4207483
>I was turned on when I did this.
????
>>
>I was turned on when I did this.

Of course you were tripping. no sober person would do this.
>>
>>4208337
He wasn't tripping, he's some sick fuck that gets off sexually on destroying SNES consoles. Probably some Sega kid who hates Nintendo so much it gives him a boner.
>>
>>4207246
>>4207483
You can always try looking for electrical suppliers near you. I have one near me I can get almost anything I ever need. Voltage Regulators, Pico Fuses, you name it. & why not buy both the pico fuse & voltage regulator. they both cost next to nothing & if you have to bu them onlike like from mouser you might as well buy them both at once since there going to cost less than a dollar each & shipping will cost $3 or more whether you buy both or just one. difference would be paying $3 shipping twice.
>>
>>4206712
You probably just blew the fuse. You're supposed to discharge the system before you open it up. It's an easy fix, just buy a replacment online and slot it in.
>>
File: dolan dick .jpg (24KB, 328x448px) Image search: [Google]
dolan dick .jpg
24KB, 328x448px
>>4207483
>thorough cleaning with rubbing alcohol and toothbrush on the pin connector
>>
*Update*

I couldn't fix it so I sold it to some dude on craigslist for $5.

Then I bought a new broken SNES also on craigslist.
You will help me fix it.

It's a turn on (red light display) but there is just static on the screen as if no console is plugg to the TV.

Give me a step by step repair guide so I can get working in a jiffy.
>>
>>4210489
>over thinks the first SNES he had by messing with unnecessary things and breaks it
>buys a secondary SNES because we didn't learn the first time
>Demands "we" help him now
WEW
E
W
>>
>>4210489
This is an easy fix, just swap out the snes with a working one from ebay
>>
>>4207483
>leaving shit plugged when fiddeling around its circuits

wtf were you thinking
its probably benign tho the snes is built like a tank when it comes to shorting
>>
>>4207956
You're a faggot
>>4210489
You're an even bigger faggot
>>
>>4210568
>thinks that post is "demanding"
>doesn't actually understand what it's like to be wanted for help with something so the experience is triggering instead
Sad!
>>4210645
>I sure am wacky! Maybe I'll bust out cuck next XD
>>
>>4210691
>You will help me fix it.
>Give me a step by step repair guide
>not demanding
>>
>>4210489
You get no signal from both the AV port and the RF out?
>>
>>4210489
Hate to break it to you but it looks like you sold a fixable SNES & got your self an un-fixble SNES.

Also when you say you couldn't fix it. Did you try replacing any components or did you just give up?
>>
>>4210489
How is it hooked up? AV or RF? IF it is RF what channel is it on?

Also there is no "step by step" instructions on how to fix a SNES. They do not have super common issues aside from bad fuses.
>>
>>4211180
I have no idea whether one exists for common SNES models (so let's assume you're right), but service manuals that are essentially step by step troubleshooting instructions do exist for a lot of consumer electronics.
>>
>>4206712
>i don't know what im doing
>i fucked with it anyway
You deserve worse than you got, which is just a blown fuse.
>>
>>4213351
Electronics is not some big impenetrable mystery. It's mostly common sense. The level of knowledge you would need to start poking around with low risk stuff is very little. You could read a one page primer on circuits and be good to go.

Of course you wouldn't want to mess around with high voltage coils in CRTs or other stuff that could kill you if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I think in general people are way too fearful about electricity though. Can't tell you how many times I have had to assure people they won't get electrocuted by a flashlight or something if it gets wet.
>>
>>4213425
If common sense was common it would be more common. Kids fucking things up because they lack it is super common.
>>
>>4206712
There is a capacitor in a SNES that takes a little while to charge if it has been sitting for a long time. Usually plugging one in for 5 minutes will be long enough to get it going.

Always plug in a SNES for 10 minutes and try blowing gently in the cart before the next step of taking the system apart.
>>
>>4213770
Not shorting together things at different potentials is painfully obvious common sense if you understand the first thing about what electricity is (i.e. the flow of charge). Unfortunately so many people are entirely uneducated in even the simplest matters when it comes to "sciency" things.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.