[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: "Must Plays" you've never played before.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: snes-donkey-kong-country-1-1.jpg (143KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
snes-donkey-kong-country-1-1.jpg
143KB, 720x540px
I'm getting ready to play DKC for the first time. Why does /vr/ hate it so much?
>>
File: orchid-ki2-animation.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
orchid-ki2-animation.gif
2MB, 320x240px
Rare during the golden age
>>
>>4206186
Why did all the KI girls look like apes, anyway?
>>
Nobody hates DKC1, the problem is the platforming is not as solid as 2 and 3.
>>
>>4206192
they based the 3D models on the renders from dkc
>>
i play videogames since 20 years, i never played a dq game
>>
>>4206192
It's alright, I love brazilian girls.
>>
DKC is a good game but, some people make it sound like the best game ever so some people here think it's overrated, based on how other's talk about it
>>
>>4206296
It's considered a classic by revisionism
>>
/vr/ is becoming dumb and contrarian, probably because of /v/ leaking into here as retro stuff becomes more and more nerdy.
As for your question, the game is a masterpiece of both level design, music, and world building, as well as the art, which is timeless. The game looks beautiful today, and will do during the next century. Additionally, the controls are tight as they can be, and polished way, way too much. It's amazing how much people would need to playtest a game to get a solid set of plataforming mechanics as they got in DKC.
The game is quite long for it's time, but managed to keep itself fresh, with each level increasing in difficulty, and usually just doing silly, fun stuff so the player can have a good time.
I recall hidden bonus stages where you just shoot your monkey up once, to get some bananas, or even where you jump in a chain of automated barrels which get you one or two free 1ups, just for shits and gigles.

The first and second ones are usually bashing against each other to get the title "best of the series".
All three of them are very good, but my personal taste the second and the first are both amazing, and I love them both.
>>
>>4206179
>Why does /vr/ hate it so much?

Because a long time ago a rumor got started that Miyamoto hated the game because he said that it was all graphics and no gameplay. Even though Miyamoto has since gone on record to say that he didn't say that and that he has nothing against the game, idiots continue to parrot the "all graphics, no gameplay" meme
>>
>>4206386
This.
Also this >>4206321
>>
>>4206179
Because its a generic platformer that only got by because of its graphics
>>
>>4206386
I rented it at launch. My parents got it for me soon after. It's a shit game. Zero depth, terrible character design, disgusting graphics, awful, slippery platforming.

Absolute fucking trash game.
>>
>>4206398
kek you're trying too hard lad. you get a (You) for effort though
>>
>>4206398
I think you are confusing dkc with sonic
>>
>>4206398
>terrible character design, disgusting graphics
>I rented it at launch

No, you didn't
>>
>>4206179
DKC 1 is pure alpha male, and subconsciously some weeb gamer males react poorly to that fact.
>>
>>4206440
Nah, they're both equally as shitty.

>>4209323
Nah, I like good platformers, and I think DKC isn't. Sorry a Nintoddler like you has to react so poorly to a simple opinion.
>>
>>4209841

>Nintoddler

This is how we all know where you've wandered in from. Go back there. It's fine to have legit complaints or criticisms about games but:

>shit game
>zero depth
etc. without some actual elaboration outs you as the drooling retard you are.

/vr/ is not for you, lad.
>>
>>4206179
>Why does /vr/ hate it so much?

Because /vr/ is part of 4chan and 4chan hates existence itself (but is generally too cowardly and unimaginative to solve the problem via suicide).

It's a good enough game. The second one is the "must play" in my opinion, not the first one. You'll probably like it fine. 4chan will continue to hate it (and everything else).
>>
>>4206179
it's the best of the trilogy
>>
I briefly played the first Donkey Kong country. Hated it. It just felt like too much of a generic collectathon. I think aesthetics was the biggest issue. There's was nothing interesting about the setting or characters.

Other series I could never get into are Mega Man, Metal Gear, Valkyrie Profile, Wizardry and SMT (or anything by Atlus)

Dragon Quest might also be of minor note. I enjoyed the first two games, but nothing after that seemed particularly innovative or fun. I've played virtually all of them, however briefly. The Super Famicom ones were by far the most lackluster games in the series.
>>
>>4206179
Despite growing up with the trilogy, and the fact SMB3 ranks as one of my all time favorite games to this day, I have never played a second of Mario64. I got a playstation when 5th gen rolled around, and surprisingly I can't think of any of my friends that had a 64 that had the game.
>>
>>4206398
Here's your (You)
>>
>>4209986
>DKC1
>collectathon

Found the meme spouter.
>>
>>4209986
>collectathon

Nigga wtf are you talking about? It was as much of a collectathon as Super Mario Bros 1 was.
>>
>>4206321
Honestly, 3 is much better than 1 in terms of level design and music (at least the GBA versions)
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.