[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NES Classic clone hacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: wwgnesclassicfakes2-1009190.jpg (71KB, 655x319px) Image search: [Google]
wwgnesclassicfakes2-1009190.jpg
71KB, 655x319px
So I got stuck with one of the newest generation of fake NES Classics. Rather than go through all the hassle of opening a dispute, I thought it would be kinda fun to see if it can be hacked and the ROMs replaced or added to.

It actually plays okay for the most part but some of the games seem to be PAL versions (SMB2 for example) and play way too fast. i'd like to swap these problem ROMs out at the very least.

When I plug the USB into a PC it shows up as a removable drive but there is no formatting that I can discover. Properties announces it as an "Actions media-player USB" device.

Any ideas?
>>
How about u try beating the games that came with it first
>>
>>4205776
As I mentioned some of them run too fast.

In any case the included lineup was almost universally panned around here and I like the challenge of turning a bad situation to my advantage.

Just need some helpful advice to make it happen :)
>>
>>4205769
>paying money for an emulator box
>paying money for a CLONE of an emulator box
>>
>>4205787
Too fast 4 u huh
Tried getting good m8?
>>
>>4205821
>worrying about a few quid

>>4205826
You're off-topic for this thread. Please cease and desist
>>
>>4205769
How much did you pay for it? Can it be hacked with the standard NES Classic Edition hacking tools?
>>
>>4205851
£20. It was listed as having faulty HDMI out so my plan was to try and get it working either by TV settings (apparently these can be troublesome) or reflashing with Hakchi. Of course what arrived turned out to work perfectly...except it wasn't genuine.

It is completely different hardware and software to the Nintendo so can't be hacked the same way. Apparently this Actions chipset is fairly common though I can't find any specific flashing tutorial.
>>
>>4205769
>ideas?
Learn to use a screwdriver?
>>
>>4206238
Already taken it to bits and put it back together. Even managed not to ruin the self-tappers.

Next?
>>
>>4206502
Post the hi res pics you took while it was open so people can see what part(s) are in there and answer your questions.
>>
>Properties announces it as an "Actions media-player USB" device.

Sounds like it could be an ATJ series SOC. Hacks for the ATJ227x used in the Retro-Bit Generations and a number of cheap handhelds may be applicable.

Or you could, you know, >>4206692
>>
>>4206692
>>4206979
Fair enough.

Here you go.
>>
File: fake nes classic board.jpg (1MB, 4112x3088px) Image search: [Google]
fake nes classic board.jpg
1MB, 4112x3088px
>>4207589
Damned captcha ate my pic.
>>
>>4207592
Looks like the USB port only carries power, not going to be easy / worth it anon, better to jam a raspberry pi in that shell.
>>
>>4207605
If that's so how does my PC recognise it, supposed chipset and all?
>>
>>4207592
As suspected there's a 1gbit flash chip that no doubt holds all the roms.
>>
>>4207592
The Actions SOC is the one labeled G1005. That's their logo. G1005 is another name for their ATJ2279B SOC.

>>4207605
Those are vias, anon.

>>4207646
The data lines run to the other side of the board. What does that side look like?
>>
>>4208126
I figured as much. Not only do I get action on the PC side but the device itself comes up with a symbol on the display suggesting it has some sort of communication mode.

Unfortunately I can't upload pics right now but will do so tomorrow. I've also seen plenty of hacking info regarding the Joyou A320+ which appears to be broadly similar. Could this be a promising lead?
>>
G1005 actions soc aka atj2279b
ESMT 1gbit flash
Elixir 512mbit ddr sdram
Shanwan input controller (found in tons of knockoff ps3 controllers)
You'll need to figure out how to in-circuit program the flash. It'll need to be dumped and examined to find out how the OS and roms are stored on it. They may not necessarily be in any filesystem and could just be a blob.
>>
>>4208217
Probably. That and the Retro-Bit Generations console, which uses a close relative SOC, ATJ2273B aka G1000.
>>
>>4208239
>in-circuit program
Why? If he can't desolder a TSOP48 he sure as fuck doesn't have the ability to program one.
>>
>>4208901
And what are the odds he has the right programmer and/or adapter for the TSOP, vs using the interface through the port?
Or he could get the pinout and hook some legs but that's still ICP.
>>
>>4209315
0%. Which means that the odds of him being able to program it in circuit is -100%
>>
File: fake nes classic board 2.jpg (1MB, 4112x3088px) Image search: [Google]
fake nes classic board 2.jpg
1MB, 4112x3088px
Thanks for bearing with me. Here's the reverse of the board. Possibly some relevant test points here?

Oh and you're correct I'm something of a novice at all this. Flashed a few Arduinos with ready-made images and that's about it. Willing to take a shot at learning something new though so please don't write me off entirely just yet.
>>
>>4209815
Yeah so those USB data lines via to the back side and then come right back up on the other side of that resistor before running down to the interface pins on the SOC. This thing can definitely be dumped or programmed through USB, and probably with the same tools as similar devices. IIRC the interface is the same across all ATJ2279B models.
>>
>>4209870
ATJ227x rather.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.