[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

games you've played as a kid, but forgot their names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: what the fuck was this game.png (10KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck was this game.png
10KB, 640x352px
I thought that my memory has gone nuts at some point and I've just imagined this game, but I found a post in the archive describing exactly what I played: https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S1125594#p1126461
This was definitely neither Star Control nor Starflight, the graphics looked a little better than that, kinda 1994-1996'ish.
Here's a rough sketch of the interface during space flight/combat. You could take up to three selectable weapons and had a status panel at the bottom with ammo bars for them. I've only played it for an hour or two before my PC broke down and the CD mysteriously disappeared.
>>
>>4205547
I forgot the name of this one robot game on the PC. I think it might have been 8 bit, but it was a really fun game. I played it in 1991. It sucks not remembering the name.
>>
>>4205583
I recently had something like that. It was called Free D.C.
>>
The gameplay sounds like Master of Orion, but the interface isn't even close.

Was it DOS, or Windows?
>>
>>4205724
>The gameplay sounds like Master of Orion
Nowhere near close. It was more like Star Control and Starflight.
Quoting the post in the archive:
>PC Space Game
>Start with purple triangle ship
>Hire crew and Buy bigger ships
>Fight other ships and enter them or land on planets
>Control crew to fight enemy soldiers. Only movement though they shoot by themselves. Can pickup guns.

>Was it DOS, or Windows?
No idea. I don't remember whether I had Windows 95 or MS-DOS at that time.
>>
>>4205589
I just looked it up, but it's not the game I remembered. The one I remembered had game play similar to Donkey Kong(the original, not Donkey Kong Country), the graphics even resembled the one from Donkey Kong.
>>
DOS RPG. Ascii / IBM character graphics. Colorful overworld. Swimming was a character skill.
>>
I remember it was (maybe) a 16 bit two players game. The starting level was some kind of a desert and if I remember correctly each character had unique special move that could be used once.
Anyone knows what could it be? Also I can be wrong in some aspects as I played it only two times in my life and it was almost 15 years ago.
>>
>>4205547
The Last Dynasty?
Absolute Zero?
Star Rangers?

I'm just going off of wikipedia's list of space sims honestly.
>>
>>4206340
It wasn't a space sim. The space was 2D from top-down perspective, like in Star Control.
>>
Beat'em up for Game Boy.

Quite detailed sprites, and you could start a super combo where your fighter made lots of fast kicks and punches in a row.
>>
a text adventure game. was first in a series, meaning unfinished and unsatisfying ending and probably unfinished. involved investigating a cult of some kind. start out as an archaeologist investigating a temple dig site. eventually a fire starts that results in your unavoidable death.

after several playthroughs I skip this part by purposefully knocking over the lamp and climbing into a sleeping bag to burn to death and get to the second half: the archaeologist's son receives his letters and notes 6 months after his disappearance. You are in America now, somewhere on a coast (Washington, Oregon, or Maryland or something). You have a dog. You wander around talking to people and looking for clues.

This is one of those text adventures that had pictures every so often. pixel art with like 3 colors (red, black and yellow) I think I had beaten this game several times as I got to a screen to purchase part 2, but this was more by trial and error and brute force while being too young to understand what was going on. In retrospect this sounds like it could have been related to the Cthulhu mythos, but again I was too young to understand what was going on or what I was reading.
>>
>>4209527
This one's Demon's Tomb: The Awakening. Cool game.
>>
>>4209561
>Demon's Tomb: The Awakening
Thanks anon, this one has been plaguing me for a while.
>>
>>4207173

Protostar? Honestly, I'd just go to Home of the Underdogs and browse the Space Exploration section under "Adventure".
>>
>>4205547
>>4205732
Sounds like Command Adventures: Starship
>>
>>4205547
I remember this one game I used to play way back when. I think it was set during the Trojan War or some kind of Greek setting. It was like a top down game with classes. Very old school game, I just have flashes of memory playing it.
>>
>>4205583
???
>>
>>4211376
It's this one. Thanks! Misremembered the interface a bit.
I'll play it ASAP and report back how exactly shitty it is.
>>
>>4211376
>>4212060
All right I've played it for a while and it's really fucking shit. All you do is alternate between obtuse space combat and obtuse ground combat. It pretends to give you a wide range of possibilities but every weapon is a literal palette swap. For what I've read online it stays the same until the end.
>>
>>4212472
>destroy robot or turret
>it screams like a man
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.