[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

git gud?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: shrug.png (17KB, 576x480px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
17KB, 576x480px
I'm fucking terrible at video games. Just AWFUL.
Anyone have any recommendations for games to play that will help my general ability?
>>
just fucking play something
>>
>>4204628
>Anyone have any recommendations for games to play that will help my general ability?
Find a type of game that plays to your strengths. I enjoy thinking things through. Some Rpgs have a great story and neat battle structure.
>>4204631
>just fucking play something
This is pretty much it.

Try a whole bunch of different titles until you find one that sticks.
>>
>>4204628
Playing a certain game type a lot helps. Playing nothing but Sonic and Mario for a week straight will make you better at Earthworm Jim, Dynamite Heady, or Oddworld at the end of that week. Obviously a small example of platformers.

You can do this with any type of game too. But playing that specific game you want to be good at helps the most (playing lots of Mario 1 will help with Mario 1 skills). The biggest benefit is just playing games to get better.

The only thing, almost equal and sometimes more important than playing a video game type a lot, would be making sure your hardware doesn't suck. Sony LCD/LED 1080p tvs since 2011 and 2014 Samsung LED/LCD UHD tvs have incredibly low delay in game mode (small example of tvs with inhuman low levels of delay/lag/gtg). If you are trying to use a Westinghouse 1080p from 2007 you are gimping. Most CRTs have very little to no delay or lag. Even some aftermarket controllers or systems induce heavy delay that can make a game go from easy to impossible. Emulator delay isn't really a thing much anymore for most emulators, but the delay of your adapters/dongles for controllers and a cheap monitor can again gimp you. I can use an X1 controller with a cycle perfect emulator and beat SMW in a 2.5 hours no deaths on a UW1440p monitor or a UHD tv, same thing on a Wii through component on a crt at 240p, same thing on original hardware over RGB at 240p, Same with a framemeister with original hardware on a projector (projector has 9ms of delay for example). BUT give me a cheap Chinese Wii controller and a Chinese wii pro controller and I will die... a lot, because there is about 350ms of delay. Comparative to the other setups I mentioned where at best you are in the range of 1-35ms of delay in total

A minor footnote about the hardware thing. For 64 games for example the controller had the octagonal notches. The games were designed with that in mind, sometimes that means the games work and play best with that controller type.
>>
>>4204664
Sorry for long reply, but there are two routes of thought about how to get better. The play more route and the gimping yourself one. I think if OP really cares he should investigate both routes.
>>
File: 1482520804332-v.jpg (23KB, 236x333px) Image search: [Google]
1482520804332-v.jpg
23KB, 236x333px
Stop giving up. You aren't just born good at a game or not. The "play more" while memey as it sounds is the only advice someone who has played games before can give you.

Do you think speedrunners or those chinks who seem to do some kind of arithmetic magic when they touch a game were like that since they picked a console when they were 4 years old? No, literally everyone was shit at Mario when thy picked it up. They lost lives and got frustrated. The difference between them and you is that they didn't give up and complained like faggots online and seeked a miraculous advice. They just kept playing until they developed reactions and learned level layouts and enemy patterns by experience. The harder a game is, the more rewarding finishing it is.

Tl;dr: Keep playing and dying until you git gud, it will happen, and then you will start enjoying games like never before.

Bonus: Don't use savestates unless there isn't a saving system and you don't want to go through the early levels to get to the final ones if you lost all the continues fighting the final boss.
>>
There's another thing to consider besides just practicing:

If you feel that your skills are not progressing or that you're stuck at some point, maybe watch a longplay on youtube to see what you might be doing wrong, or rather, what other players are doing differently. This can sometimes give you new strategies to try out or ideas on how to apply your abilities in a different way.

Don't rely on it too much, though - if you do, you'll ruin your experience by spoiling later parts of the game and by uncreatively copying what you have seen before. Failing, retrying and figuring out creative new approaches to overcome obstacles is an important part of the experience. The feeling of personal growth (even if it's just "a game") is often more rewarding than finishing the game itself.
>>
File: 6713214_orig.jpg (54KB, 493x463px) Image search: [Google]
6713214_orig.jpg
54KB, 493x463px
>>4204631
This guy has it. Any game you suck at, play until you don't suck at it. That's what retro games used to be. Honing your skills at throwing papers into mailboxes autistically for hour after hour. Very few of us just started out good, and most of the ones who did are liars.
>>
>>4204628

Just play a game that you like. Make sure your setup has minimal input lag.
>>
>>4204645
RPGs will single handedly destroy OPs skills. It's about as productive as clicking links on /vr/. Even action RPGs aren't very intense. Wasting my prime teen years dicking around in RPGs pretty much made it impossible for me to ever git gud at fighting games. Save RPGs for when you're and old person with crippling arthritis since they amount to just choosing commands from a menu.
>>
>>4204628
>Anyone have any recommendations for games to play that will help my general ability?
Ghosts an goblins preferably the original whether it be the arcade version (which you can get in certain compilations or buy your ass a cabinet) or the NES version.
>>
Like anons above said, play a certain game a lot.
Something that we are doing less and less nowadays is playing a game thoroughly. We play and finish a game once, and move onto another one, from our "backlog". Forget backlogs.
I was better at Mario when I was 6 years old than I am now. But that was because I only had Mario to play. I didn't have any other games. I still can reach 5-3 of Super Mario Bros. without losing a single life, but afterwards I just get wrecked by the game.

I tried to play Super Mario Bros 2 (also known as "Lost Levels", and I couldn't even reach 1-2 on my first try.
>>
>>4204628
What are you worst at, reflexes and precision or tactics and strategy? There are all kinds of different games. If you have bad reflexes maybe pick something turn based. If you're stupid play an easy brawler or something.
>>
File: 1493337457112.png (453KB, 498x717px) Image search: [Google]
1493337457112.png
453KB, 498x717px
It drives me nuts how my brother will just give up any game that he gets stuck on or gets hard at some point. Like one of the posts said you keep playing until you're good at it. Practice=Experience=Consistency=Perfection
>>
>>4205878
I think it depends on the game and your tastes. I never bothered gitting gud at platformers because they bore me for example
>>
It's meaningless to worry about such things. In reality your general video game skills actually degrade with time if you don't practice regularly. Just play the games you want to play and pick the really challenging ones carefully since those need to be extra good for the practice time to be worth it.

You can develop some general habits to pick up things faster, like the way you approach games in general. But forget reflexes and shit like that.
>>
>>4204628
wanna do 3d platformers? Crash and go after all gems
mindnumbingly hard because they married 3d and precision platforming, something Mario 64 had huge reservations about doing and Sunshine only did because you had a jetpack
>>
>>4205878
I have a friend who one time said he thought having to re-try a part 10 times was too demanding. He was being serious.
>>
>>4204628
Practice. Muscle memory plays a good part of vidya.
>>
>>4204628
have a couple of drinks to loosen up and a friendly rival to keep you in check
>>
>>4204664
I honestly didn't know any of this.

A decade ago, on an SNES on an old CRT, I made a serious run at beating the world record for speed running Super Mario World. There's one jump I couldn't pull off, and that was what kept me from beating the then-record. I could still beat the game in just over 11 minutes, though.

It was one of the things I'd show off to friends, that I could breeze through that game effortlessly. The idea of getting hit was foreign.

Now, that SNES is dead, I have better TVs, I mostly emulate, or shell out for Virtual Console games when I feel like it, and I've seen game over screens. I assumed it was my reflexes dying, but could there really be that much lag without me noticing?
>>
>>4204628
Play joust on mame. Work your high score up to 250000. Simple premise but takes practice and strategy. You'll get good because the skills there translate to other games. The game is all about skill and improving yourself. Read the inner game.e of tennis, trust me on this. It's not so much about tennis, but mindset for improving and shutting up the inner asshole who uses subtle tricks to make you fail.
>>
Not retro but try Astroboy Omega factor. It's a really fun beatemup with a bit of platforming and challenging, fun and satisfying bosses that require some rythm to beat them. When you will be done with that game, you will be able to use some of the knowledge and skills from it in other beatemup and even platformer games too.
>>
>>4204628
Repetition. I'm pretty bad at most ARPGs and JRPGs, but fps games like Doom or Duke feel natural to me. I'm trying to get better at ARPGs and JRPGs so sometimes I get pretty frustrated when I do bad in them compared to an fps game.
Just play games brahski
>>
>>4206653
I was playing on a shitty LCD that had tons of input lag for years without noticing it. I don't think it was until I tried beating Punch-Out that I actually realized it, as I wasn't able to react to Tyson's uppercuts until I switched to a less shitty monitor.

Difficulty in most games come from timing rather than reflexes, so having a bad setup won't make you that much worse. It won't be noticeable until it matters.
>>
Play Super Mario World. That's easy as fuck.
>>
>>4204628
Classic Sonic Trilogy
Shit's forgiving as hell while also incentivizing you to develop a deep understanding of game mechanics and level layouts.
>>
File: 1485858678028.jpg (32KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
1485858678028.jpg
32KB, 300x299px
>>4204628
Press A+Start after the game over screen in Super Mario Bros, you'll start at the beginning of the world you died in.
>>
>>4204628
Play without ceasing
>>
>>4204628
Super Castlevania 4?
>>
>>4204628
play megaman
>can farm lives, health and ammo
>no time limit
>>
>>4204628
Two options:
1. Find some games that you really suck at, take whatever meds you need to allow you to sit and play them for hundreds of hours until you git gud
2. Build a time machine. Go back and get yourself born 15-20 years earlier. You will be born gud.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.