[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone actually like these special stages? Is anyone glad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5

File: S3k_specialstage.png (4KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
S3k_specialstage.png
4KB, 320x224px
Did anyone actually like these special stages? Is anyone glad they were brought back for Sonic Mania?
>>
Nobody liked them.
>>
>>4203936
I thought as much. Why did they bring them back?

I mean, 2s is better. Fucking &Knuckles had a pretty good bonus stage that could have been used as a special stage. You know, the ones that had those electro-balls you had to jump from one to another?
>>
Everybody liked them.
>>
>>4203938

2's is too similar to the special stages for chaos emeralds in Mania. As for the orbs, they are used in the last level.

I am no fan of the blue orbs either and would rather have had Sonic 1's with improvements.
>>
I like em Im just shit at them
>>
>>4203928
These mini change-up stages stopped the platforming from becoming too monotonous. They are welcome and always were a good time.
>>
Yes, and no. Blue Sphere was genuinely fun, and nowhere near as retardedly difficulty as the Sonic 2 special stages with their 100% trial-and-error obstacles. And Sonic Mania is garbage through and through, so I don't care about its choice of special stages.

The more important question is: Did anyone like the special stages from the Genesis / MD version of Sonic 3D Blast?
>>
Worst part of the game.
It was a pain in the ass when you had to play it 7 times.
Then you had to play it 14 times in S3&K
Now you have to play it 16 times AND get all the rings.
>>
>>4203962

>>
>>4203954
>nowhere near as retardedly difficulty as the Sonic 2 special stages

You know, I feel that they are difficult, but when I actually play and get the hang of it, it doesn't turn out that way and I'm surprised when I do get through it.

I see that's what you mean by trial and error, but it's not 100% for crying out loud.
>>
>>4203970
>I see that's what you mean by trial and error, but it's not 100% for crying out loud.

There are 100% trial-and-error obstacles in these stages, yes. The tubes often screw with your perspective to prevent you from anticipating some waves of rings or spikes. You absolutely cannot know their positions without having memorized them in advance. This is simply bad game design.
>>
>>4203978
That's true and all for the later ones, but the first few aren't that hard to see coming.
>>
>not putting in your Sonic Jam disc on the Saturn and blasting some Blue Spheres level 500
>>
>>4204006
Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Is that the same thing as the one when you connect Sonic 1 &Knuckles?
>>
>>4203928
Yes and yes.
>>
File: 23rfgerh.png (263KB, 320x313px) Image search: [Google]
23rfgerh.png
263KB, 320x313px
>mfw babies who never played sonic 3 and sonic & knuckles struggle with the sphere bonus stages
>>
>>4203928
It seemed like the most fair out of the 3
1 was full of walljumping bullshit that may or may not work
2 hid rings and bombs behind curves. And Tails.
3 gets faster
>>
>>4203928
They're stressful and hard to control when they get too fast. The Sonic special stages are all pretty bad.
>>
>>4203928
Least bad special stages of the MD games. Haven't touched Mania yet so I don't know if I'm gonna like their inclusion or not.
>>
>>4203928
I like how they felt more like a puzzle than anything. Once you figure the layouts out there's virtually no losing.
>>
I actually like them, I just suck at getting all the rings.
>>
>>4204171
Use the d pad instead of analog sticks. It's more precise.
>>
>>4204168
To be fair against 2, Tails can be removed in the options.
>>
>>4203928
I would like Blue Sphere a lot if it wasn't for the way the camera rotates making me motion sick.
>>
I never liked sonic much but the special stages were pure shit only made to sell the BLAST PROCESSSSSSSING
Well maybe the same is true for everything sonic back then
>look how fast you can go!
>too bad going fast kills you
>>
>>4204567
P R E S S

D O W N
>>
I recently replayed all the Genesis sonic games, I found the master emerald blue sphere special stages to be really hard in S&K. I gave up on it in the end.
>>
>>4203928
I hated them. They were just so boring.They never felt like a challenge, and even doing stuff like making the spheres into rectangles to turn them all into rings still didn't make them any less dull. Then to top it off you have to play fucking 14 of them to do a proper playthrough of 3 and K? Fucking tedious man.

1 and 2 had WAY better special stages. Fuck, 3D blast and CD had better special stages. Blue spheres were the worst classic special stage.
>>
I'm honestly shocked people are shitting on those, they're all fun.

Nothing in these games is hard, folks. Including the minigame. S&K3 even gives you multiple tries at them.
>>
i remember being a kid and being soooo fucking proud when i figured out how to turn them into spheres. i was really dumb.

as far as them being in mania.. they were def my least favorite part sonic3 and im not crazy about them now. i started skipping them after fbz. ill collect those coin things later on.
>>
>>4204710
oh but the music fucking ruled. which i guess made it bearable
>>
>>4204708
>Nothing in these games is hard, folks. Including the minigame

Them being hard was never the issue.

I'm the OP and I was able to get perfect for all of them except for one where you are set on paths. I think I might have got perfect on it once, but beyond that I never did and never bothered try.
>>
>>4203928
i don't hate blue sphere and you sorta grind at it until the stages are doable.
the better framerate and slightly higher speed in mania can mess you up though.
also blue sphere being at every checkpoint in mania is a bit much too.
>>
>>4203928
Flat earth believers hate that special stage.
>>
What's so bad about them? Just get the outside spheres to turn them into rings and either go out of your way to get the rings for a perfect or do the smaller sets last.
>>
>>4203954

>And Sonic Mania is garbage through and through, so I don't care about its choice of special stages.

You can keep posting this in every Sonic thread but that won't make it true or get literally anyone to agree with you. Sorry pal.
>>
>>4204839
Xwobphfkin too
>>
>>4204898

Yes, thank you for this brilliant tactic for the easier stages.
>>
>>4203928
I liked them better than 1, which I found annoying, and 2, which required memorization of all the blind corners in later levels.
>>
>>4203954
Is it garbage? I'm reluctant to buy it because it really just looks like a bloated rehash of all the old Sonic games. I feel like there's no reason for me to play it as long as I've still got my Genesis hooked up.
>>
>>4203928

I always hated that stage, I much prefer Sonic 2s special stage.
>>
>>4204994
It's not retro, therefore it's garbage.
>>
>>4203928
I didn't like them, but I thought that it was cool that they brought it back
>>
>>4204994
Don't fall for the >>4205032 meme, it's pretty good. It's a game that Sonic rom hackers made official, it's 10/10
>>
>>4203928
i liked them
>>
>>4203928
I love pretty much all the sonic special stages except for the ones in CD

Blue spheres is hella fun, but way easier on european versions of the game
>>
>>4204994
Almost every old zone is better than when they were in their origin game and the new zones will leave you wanting a game with completely new zones. It worked out great.

Blue Spheres is fine and Christian Whitehead was probably chomping to get his version of it out there, but it is a bit too long to be a checkpoint bonus stage. If you're going for medals, a playthrough will start feeling like Blue Spheres with some platforming stages sprinkled in.
>>
I hate all the Special Stages except CD and 1's.

Blue Balls are especially bad since they make me dizzy.
>>
>>4203928
Hated them.
I did like the Knuckles Chatoix special stages though. I liked how even if you screwed up you could do another lap as long as you had enough rings since they were used as a timer.
>>
>>4203928
I liked them
>>
>>4204994

On the surface it may look like a plain remake, but once you get into it you see a lot of depth and attention to detail. It's also got the best level design of any classic Sonic game and the bosses are actually fun.
>>
>>4204948

This works for all of them.

They're pretty much all equally doable, the only issue is figuring out the general layout of the world.
>>
>>4206008
I agree, the only issue is having to lose until you have enough information to win.
>>
Anyone like the idea of a combination of 2 and CD's special stages? In which you're running on a track going into a sort of derby race destroying robots. It'd be full of twists and turns, but you're not in a half pipe so you can see anything that comes your way.
>>
>>4203928
The objective is to get blue spheres. Simple enough, but it never said I can't get the red ones also. What a shitload of fuck! Shouldn't it just say "don't get red spheres"?
>>
>>4204994
>Is it garbage?

Don't waste your time, unless maybe the price drops down to $5. The new zones are your typical Sonic ROMhack quality, and they get mixed in with a bunch of shoehorned classic zones despite how much they clash.
>>
>>4203954
>Sonic Mania is garbage through and though
The only thing that is garbage here is your taste
>>
Not the biggest fan. One thing I do not like, though, is how in Sonic Mania, EVERY single Goalpost takes you to this Special Stage.

C'mon, where's the Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles Special Stages?
>>
>Enjoying your fun pinball platformer?
>Well now slog through this isometric puzzle game!

Blue sphere was a mistake
>>
>>4206306
You mean the gumball machine and electro-ball stages?
>>
S&K3 blue orb > S1 rotating shit > piss >3D blast bridge > shit > S2 halfpipe
>>
It's the most visually distinctive of all the special stages, and not literal carnival vomit (1) or overly simplistic (2).
Mania blew up the frequency by making the ring requirement too low, of course they'll get old fast.
>>
File: 1477084341712.png (529KB, 487x598px) Image search: [Google]
1477084341712.png
529KB, 487x598px
>>4206191

>typical Sonic ROMhack quality

You say that like Sonic doesn't have one of the best romhacking communities out there. I honestly can't think of a single series with a better quality ratio.
>>
>>4203954
Sonic 2 special stages were pattern memorization and timing. For an easier time, leave Tails behind.
>>
>>4203928
Yes,
And
Yes.
>>
I like leaving people blue-balled.
>>
File: tails rude gesture.jpg (6KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
tails rude gesture.jpg
6KB, 184x184px
>>4203928
I didn't, simply because of the speed up velocity it comes after you play them for a while. I'm better off playing half-pipe corridors, rotating mazes and little imaginative arenas with U.F.Os to catch them up.

>Is anyone glad they were brought back for Sonic Mania?
Obviously, it's not something that totally ruins for me, but I would have preferred if Taxman chose any other kind of special stage that isn't Blue Spheres. Nevertheless, at least, they are just reserved to checkpoints this time.
>>
>>4204994
>Is it garbage?

It feels like if Treasure was tasked to make a Sonic CD sequel for the Saturn.

So yeah, it's garbage. Unless you like excessively long-ass levels, constant callbacks to the old games and too little new content, and every boss having a different gimmick. And the worst special stages ever.

The one thing I like about it is that they really tried making it look like a Saturn game, down to details like using per-polygon sorting instead of per pixel ones, leading to the characteristic depth infighting of 32bit titles.
>>
>>4203928
2 has the best special stages hands down.
>>
>>4207763
Yea
>>
>>4207763
Only hampered because of fucking Tails.
>>
I honestly enjoyed all of the Genesis era Special Stages. CD were my favorite for the general aesthetic, though. But Blue Sphere is pretty fun.
>>
it's ok, but they can be really tedious when you get higher numbers like 140 spheres and shit layouts.
>>
>>4207807
>Only hampered because of fucking Tails.

Not really hampered because he only loses the rings he grabs, but he spends 100% of the routes in the back, so he doesn't actually grab anything.
>>
>>4208580
That's the thing, if you have Tails enabled the amount of required rings to collect reach round increases.
>>
>>4208580
When you have Tails enabledt he amount of rings you need to collect each lap increases. Also there's a bug where Tails sometimes gets stuck in the front.
>>
I'm worse at them as an old man, it seems.
>>
>>4203936
>>4203938
I liked them.
>>
I fucking loved them. I enjoyed that more than the actual game
>>
>>4203938
I fucking despised sonic 2's special stages. 3&K's are the only ones I actually liked much.
>>
>>4203954
>Sonic Mania is garbage through and through

Not sure if bait or teen edgelord
>>
>>4210218
>you have to like what I like, otherwise you're an edgelord!

Compelling argument, Anon. Thanks for your contribution.
>>
Yes, I liked them. Some you can even beat on your first try. That alone tells you they're good. It's not just trial and error.

>>4204994

Sonic Mania is amazing. For the love of God get it. 20 dollars is a steal for the quality you're getting.
>>
>>4203928
Fuck no. The special stages on Sonic 1 still beats 2 & 3.
>>
>>4210218
>>4210276
>SONIC MANIA IS AWESOME. FUCK OFF AND DIE.

This is not how you promote a game. This is how you alienate people with your autism so that they never want to go near the game at all.
>>
>>4210407
we're not promoters, we're calling out garbage taste

go play cs:go or some shit
>>
>>4203928
I don't like them, but I hate them the least. Special stages were never good.
>>
Am I the only one who prefers half-pipe style stages?
>>
>>4210543
Everyone prefers the half-pipe style, but they would have been too similar to the new ufo stages
>>
>>4203928
no
>>
>>4210407

You conspiracy theorists that think every game that gets a wide array of praise is because paid shills are posting on 4chan are out of your fucking mind. I don't even know what else to say.
>>
they are 100 times better than the halfpipe.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.