[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultimate Playstation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 19

File: PlayStation-Model-Backs.jpg (3MB, 3300x2540px) Image search: [Google]
PlayStation-Model-Backs.jpg
3MB, 3300x2540px
I'm looking for an NTSC Playstation to install the PSIO on, which is more or less a flash cart for the Playstation. To do this, the Playstation needs to have a parallell port, which was removed on later models since it was only used for piracy-related things. I have consulted Wikipedia's chart on comparison of Playstation models ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_models#Comparison_of_models ) and decided to select the last Japanese model that had a parallell port, which is SCPH-7500. I have been told that the PSOne had better RGB-encoders and therefore better image, and I assume that the newer the original Playstation is, the better the image should be. However, on the chart it also states "Major manufacturing cost reductions took place from this model onwards.
The number of memory chips and CD-ROM controllers were reduced, other components were simplified, especially on SCPH-750x.", making me want to consult /vr/ too regarding this.

tl;dr What Japanese revision of the original Playstation with a parallell port should I get?
>>
>>4203754
I also just remembered that the original Playstation had an internal power supply. Is any aftermarket switching PSU available, and do you need a specific PSU depending on what revision you get?
>>
55xx

/thread
>>
>>4203763
>55xx
Why that specific series?
>>
File: playstation2[1].jpg (55KB, 698x319px) Image search: [Google]
playstation2[1].jpg
55KB, 698x319px
>>4203763
>55xx
I have a different opinion. I prefer the 1001 for gaming, because they have the audio video out in addition to the ps proprietary connector. It is not a big difference, but it is useful.

The biggest issue with the 1001 is heat from the psu. I have a few of the 1001s floating around, and one of them is getting modded. They do sound better for audio, but for my budget it is irrelevant. The extra hookups are primo.

It is getting a replacement cd drive in the mail this week (I ordered 3).

I am open to discussion however. Id love to know your opinions on the 55XX series. I am not familiar with them at all.

I have a 7501 that I enjoy, but is boxed up and in storage. It is my 4th string backup.

Bottom line. I have too many psx, and not a single 55xx one.
>>
>>4203786
>audio video out in addition to the ps proprietary connector
I'm only interested in the RGB out connector, I will never use RCA anyway since there are no TVs sold in Europe that had RCA but no SCART.
>The biggest issue with the 1001 is heat from the psu
Since I will hopefully be able to replace the PSU as mentioned in >>4203758 , that's a non-issue.
>>
Unrelated to your question but you really should think twice about PSIO, the compatibility is horrifying by flashcart standards and it's had no relevant improvements since release. Buy some CD-R's and save your money till something better comes along.
>>
>>4203801
>the compatibility is horrifying by flashcart standards
Ouch, that sounds awful. How come though, I mean, there are no mappers or anything like that to support.
>>
File: a4ucu9.jpg (13KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
a4ucu9.jpg
13KB, 500x438px
>>4203764
It has the best of everything and no cost-cutting.

>>4203786
>The extra hookups are primo
Pic related. The many downsides of the 100x are in no way an acceptable tradeoff imo.
>>
>>4203812
>It has the best of everything
Are you sure of that? Like, are there any comparison images of the output so I can see for myself?
>>
File: s507011094.1.jpg (18KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
s507011094.1.jpg
18KB, 599x449px
>>4203812
Shit, wrong pic.

You really want s-video. It's 95% as good as RGB on the PlayStation.
>>
something I've always wondered is if you'd be able to wire a 1001 and a later model with better video together so that it outputs video with one and audio with another
it would probably take double the power and run double the risk of bricking the console, but goddamn I'd love to do something like that
>>
>>4203797
>I'm only interested in the RGB out connector, I will never use RCA anyway since there are no TVs sold in Europe that had RCA but no SCART.
I understand. I run my connector out to svideo. In your case you would use scart.

There is still a perfectly good working audio out rca jack on the system. I run this out to 5 pc computer speaker set.

Tv has sound
Speakers have sound.

Sure there are millions of ways to do just that. My tv does not have audio out however, and this works just a-ok for this.

>>4203812
>The many downsides of the 100x are in no way an acceptable tradeoff imo.
What are the downsides of a 1001 vs a 55XX/75xx/9xxx?

I have listed some of the pros of the 1001 and the cons as I know.

What are some other cons? I really would love to see some things I can research. Please add what you know.
>>
>>4203817
It has the same 24-bit VDP they used for the remainder of production. Actually, so did a very limited number of 100x models but finding one of those is all but impossible and you still have the poor laser placement and plastic rails to contend with.
>>
>>4203826
>something I've always wondered is if you'd be able to wire a 1001 and a later model with better video together so that it outputs video with one and audio with another
>it would probably take double the power and run double the risk of bricking the console, but goddamn I'd love to do something like that
Both the "sony" video/audio output plug AND the RCA jacks are active at the same time.
>>
>>4203829
>I run this out to 5 pc computer speaker set.
Good point, that could be a useful feature of having direct RCA output.
>It has the same 24-bit VDP they used for the remainder of production.
So, even the 7500 has this? What cost-cuttings caused negative effects on the performance?
>>
Psxdev.ru describes the mainboard revisions comprehensively and objectively
>>
>>4203830
>>4203842
Fucked up the quoting.
>>
>>4203843
Interesting site, but is it only in Russian?
>>
>>4203842
Video performance is identical. 75xx had a slightly lower grade AKG audio DAC but still far better than that used on the 900x and PsOne. 55xx has the fabled A-rated "audiophile" chip shared with the 100x.
>>
>>4203847
I find that Google translates quite effectively.
>>
>>4203852
>55xx has the fabled A-rated "audiophile" chip shared with the 100x.

So the difference from the 55xx to the 100x

>Removed Svideo & Rca output
>Moved cd drive so to not heat it up

Is this pretty much it?
>>
File: gpu_difference.png (25KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
gpu_difference.png
25KB, 640x960px
>>4203862
Also
>15-bit vs 24-bit texture modulation

This is a biggie imo.
>>
>>4203871
>This is a biggie imo.
Where on the board can I check this. I have been playing fft for hours back and forth with a 7501 and a 1001, and I cannot tell a difference. I am not saying that there is not, but does the 5500 series always have the updated graphic output?
>>
>>4203881
Most 100x (and 3xxx in Japan only) boards have the VDP split between 2 chips. These have 15-bit output and are known as Revisions A and B. All later models are known as Revision C and have 24-bit output.

Sony even released 2 separate debug consoles reflecting these changes so titles could (and were required to) be playtested on all hardware revisions.
>>
>>4203806
Some games were programmed with CDs in mind, not filesystems. Because the PS1 uses an hybrid track format (that's why some of the rips are bin/cue instead of ISO).

Also, the parallel port is half as fast as the CD drive.
>>
>>4203806

It's biggest problems are with random lock-ups, audio streaming, CDDA tracks not playing, sound regularly going out of sync, along with many games just not loading at all. You can get a sense of it looking at this list http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au:82/browse/CSGC-98?filter=-4

Right from the start PSIO was built on a foundation of lies; they promised it would be plug-and-play, they promised it would have 'near 100% compatibility', they promised it would get regular updates. The long and short of it is the author is a total hack and is so in over his head in both the development and physical production of the damn thing it's sad. It reminds me of the Neo Myth Cart for N64, the mere concept of SD card loading in a pre-Everdrive world was cool as fuck but when you get down to it people will always move to something that actually fucking works.
>>
>>4203906
>Some games were programmed with CDs in mind, not filesystems
Well, CDs are a form of filesystem really, even if they happen to have multiple tracks.
>Also, the parallel port is half as fast as the CD drive.
Ah, that must be a huge problem. I guess the only workable solution would be to run it through the CD drive connector.
>>
>>4203754
One of the bottom two will do just fine.
>>
>>4203916
Sure, but I'm looking for the ultimate unit. Starting to have second thoughts now though that I've found out that there's severe issues with running stuff from the parallell port.
>>
>>4203915
What I mean is that the code itself makes reference to CD sectors, not to files on a filesystem. So if you just put a disc image there without any sort of middleware, the game just won't work at all.

One example from the PS2. Super Robot Wars Impact was the only SRW game that didn't work on HDLoader (a program to play games off the HDD). The reason was that it was one of the first PS2 games, so developers were still programming with PS1 standards in mind. One of those was asynchronous reading, which only worked with sector-based reading, not files.

(It was kind of dumb of them to do that, because the loading times are enormous)

Like the anon above said, PSIO struggles on almost any game with multiple tracks, because the middleware can't deal with it. It's a notorious problem in console emulation too - the PS1 emulator on the PSP (POPS) can't play multi-track CDs at all, except if you do a lot of hacks.
>>
>>4203913

http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au:82/browse/CSGC-77?filter=-5

You linked the list of all issues, including resolved, the open issues is a small list, also every video I've seen of it, the games load very fast, much faster than CD, so I don't know about that, the sound issues I can imagine though.

Either way, at least this is a big step forward from before, looks like getting a FMCB memory card for the PS2 was a good idea after all, it's coming in the mail for me now
>>
Question about the 1000 and 5000 model's DACs. Would I be able to perceive the better audio if I play through TV speakers or would I need a high end stereo system? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
>>
I'm not sure why anyone would do this. While I'm sure compatibility might be improved later down the line, it's pretty bad at the moment. And the modification is by no means simple.

If you think you need to spare your laser from burning out, then you should ask yourself why you insist on playing games on real hardware when that hardware necessitates the use of an optical drive in the first place. Besides, PS1 laser assemblies are pretty affordable to replace, and in theory, you shouldn't need to replace the assembly ever (unless you're using a very early model that's prone to this issue)

I would just recommend purchasing a swap disc. You can still find them online, and under USD $10 as well. The only problem with the swap disc method is that you have to use a certain (expensive) quality of media, otherwise your burned games will stutter or not even boot up. JVC discs aren't terribly expensive if you buy them in bulk though. This is the method I use with my PSOne. The number of incompatible games is inconsequential.
>>
>>4203927

I linked the whole list to better show the technical problems with the device, most of the resolved issues involve patching the ISO and similar workarounds, plus they also describe why they don't initially work right which is relevant to this discussion.

I never implied it loaded slow, it certainly doesn't do that. And yes, as I said, it's a big step forward from the nothing we had, but history won't remember it as much else as it stands. Think PS2's HDLoader circa 2004 compared to Open PS2 Loader now, we've got a long way to go.
>>
>>4203921
>the ultimate unit.
Get either a 55xx or a 7xxx(55xx is prior to first cost-cutting, 7xxx has Dual Shock and Soundscope), get a stealth mod chip($5-$20 depending on seller+perks), get yourself two Analog or Dual Shock controllers depending on if you went with the 55xx or 7xxx model respectively, a later edition GameShark, and some memory cards. Reminder you can get official Sony S-video/composite cables for the multi-out for roughly $10.

Grab a GunCon, a Justifier, the Mouse, two more controllers and the Multi-tap if you really want to go all out. I've always been interested in getting two TVs and two PSX's going with the link cable myself. Being able to play Armored Core 2-player fullscreen always sounded fun to me.
>>
>>4203927
Eh?

FMCB isn't really going to help you with PS1 games besides emulating them badly.
>>
>>4203921
Then get the very bottom one.
>>
>>4203921
>Starting to have second thoughts now though that I've found out that there's severe issues with running stuff from the parallell port.
Exactly. I can speak for the 2.1 version of gameshark accepting Unirom v 0.6, and allowing me to play most of my backups.

I have issues with chrono cross loading past the start screen, and legends of dragoon. I have originals, so its not an issue....but it is sure nice to just pop a burned cd in and away you go.

The SD card reader thing may require a "master" cd that holds some of the data required by some titles.

I don't know that PSIO will ever work correctly with the data limits of the serial port....it is nice in theory, but too many variables.

Sticking with the intended media works great.

If I understand this soft-modded gameshark correctly, you could use it for region restrictions...so I could pop it into a scph 1000 and just run my us titles through it...

I guess then I have a question....Does the title of the game OR the system output the format (ntsc/pal)?

The other issue with psio (pretend it is perfect) is cost. IF it was mainstream at the $150-200 price point, imagine how many old PSXs you could get with that.

>Used psx at a yardsale that works: $20.
>Sometimes you get "ringer" and grandma is including the games and a game shark.
>Gamesharks are no more than $20
>Modchips are cheap AF
>Replacement lasers are no more than $30 from what I see

It is still really cheap to game on a PSX at this point. For a minimal investment of funding, you can have an entire library of discs from one of the best systems ever. For what they want for a PSIO right now, you could have a few of every model of PSX, some new-in-box.

Very few systems cost so little for access to so much.
>>
>>4203801
Who cares it's just 150 bucks.
>>
>>4203818
Lmao. RGB is night and day better than S-Video on PS1.
>>
>>4204396
with all that extra clarity now you can see the ps1's dither pattern in full detail.
>>
>>4204268
>Who cares it's just 150 bucks.
Id not blame someone for spending less on and entire system that uses cds than for a peripheral that may not work as good.

>>4204396
>>4204403
I am not commenting. I would love to try RGB/Scart some day. For now, us Yankees are left with Svideo standard for our High Definition Low Definition needs. The difference from composite to svideo is enough to make you vomit. You will never go back.

Pic related.
I just took this as I am playing.
>>
File: svideo2 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
svideo2 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>4204518
>Pic related.
>I just took this as I am playing.
>>
>>4203797
>there are no TVs sold in Europe that had RCA but no SCART.

Not correct, I have one that has rca and rf only. Technically a different version of the same model had scart, but ours did not.

>>4203817
The old models use an earlier gpu that has a gouraud shading bug that leads to excessive banding, and they use VRAM; later on they switched that to SGRAM due to supply issues and it resulted in a bump up in performance when alpha blending is heavily used (the SGRAM models did have a performance loss in some fringe scenarios but I don't know of any games that would rely on 8x8 empty block fill heavier than alpha blending).

That and the early models have the cd drive caddy melting from the psu heat.
>>
>>4203826
>if you'd be able to wire a 1001 and a later model with better video together so that it outputs video with one and audio with another

That would require some Frankenstein level of surgery (you are talking about replacing gpu and all VRAM, I'm not even sure if the gpu is pin compatible at all), except that it would be really quite fucking stupid because it would result in no upgrade whatsoever.
>>
>>4203881
Boot up Tomb Raider 1. Should be obvious immediately on the first level.
>>
>>4204558
>That would require some Frankenstein level of surgery
Not at all.

From the sony proprietary output, I have svideo and composite audio (red/white) running to the TV. From the RCA audio jacks in the back of the system, I am running the audio to my stereo. There is no frankenstein'ing. I have been using this setup since I got a 1001 new.
>>
File: Tomb_Raider_%281996%29[1].png (217KB, 300x382px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb_Raider_%281996%29[1].png
217KB, 300x382px
>>4204559
>Boot up Tomb Raider 1. Should be obvious immediately on the first level.
Where should I look, because I am doing this right now.
>>
File: IMG_1266.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1266.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>4203754
I can personally confirm the reliability of the 75 series. Got 2 (one U/C, one J). Both work flawlessly, never had to open them up. Got the U/C in 1998, got the J in 2009. Run them via SCART and have a sound system. Games look and sound just fine.
>>
>>4204570
Btw sorry for phone posting, I didn't take the pic sideways, for some reason it just ended up like that when uploaded.
>>
>>4204565
There's a video showing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKjcxCuRfM
>>
>>4203998
Dual Shock won't work on anything before 7xxx?
>>
File: cropped snowshot.jpg (3MB, 3814x2532px) Image search: [Google]
cropped snowshot.jpg
3MB, 3814x2532px
>>4204559
>Should be obvious immediately on the first level.
>>4204606
>There's a video showing this.
Thanks for the video.

I have a 1001, and do not see any of the "lines" in the color change. The transition is smooth for me. I really had to downscale the image to get it to "fit" in the 4mb area....it was huge to start with.

Thanks. I have another one I am working on, and this will play into its value for me in the future.

This one acts "different" than my 7501 when using my game shark. This one boots right away, the 7501 you have to select things in the custom bios.

I couldn't get a better photo....Any suggestions?
The snow drift on the right is pretty much how all the shadows transition from light to dark.
>>
>>4203932
Would be the same for everything really (good headphones => Sound system > TV speakers), Remember that if you use a Sound system the best way to get audio from systems (if avaible) is: HDMI => Optical Fiber > Optical Coax > RCA red white/black > scart
>>
considering the problems with the parallel port, does anyone think that there could be a good solution to mod the PS1 for better flash memory?
only thing i can really think of is possibly doing what they did to the Dreamcast and emulate the CD drive with an SD card
>>
>>4205408
>emulate the CD drive
This I would think would be the only way. Something like this requires more than just the serial port. I am no expert, but I don't think that there is a "modless" solution. to playing with out cds. There needs to be cd-drive emulation for the hardware...even then there would be issues.

I really think that cd-rw media and a pile of replacement drives is the best we can hope for for the next few years.
>>
>>4204564
Oh, you meant that.

I thought you wanted to combine an early system with the late ones gpu to get rid of the banding.
>>
>>4205408
>>4205715
Emulating the CD drive is only possible on the Dreamcast because the drive is a separate board with its own controller, that only has to transfer digital data to the motherboard. That digital data stream can be emulated easy.

The Playstation has the drive controllers on the motherboard already, it only connects the cd laser to it. So you couldn't do the same, you'd need to emulate the actual analog feedback data from the optical pickup, and have it controlled by analog servo feedback, etc. That would require a completely different approach and it might require hardware that is more powerful than the entire system. And at that point it is simpler to just emulate.

Note that rev 2 Dreamcasts, which moved the cd controller to the motherboard, are not compatible with GDEMU either.
>>
>>4205736
>it might require hardware that is more powerful than the entire system

So a $1 SoC then?
>>
>>4205736

That's a shame. If we ever get to the point there's no more lag and integration with CRTs becomes easier I can see PSIO losing most of its market share to the Pi and similar devices, it's hardly an N64-type deal as the all-round emulation is near flawless already.
>>
>>4205736
>you'd need to emulate the actual analog feedback data from the optical pickup
>And at that point it is simpler to just emulate.
Exactly. I am not a fan of psx emulation, and have had poor luck with sound or graphics. I prefer the real-deal. They are disturbingly simple to work on. Most of the issues can be resolved by a high school shop class.

The laser replacement is the biggest issue going into the future. They either need to continue to produce them, or an alternative needs to be found.

As you said, the signal from the cd drive would be a pain in the ass to recreate/emulate. PSIO with little to no issues is a pipe dream.

When it comes to my psx. I have learned quite a bit from this post alone about production and models.

be me:

>Scph 1001
>Have high quality texture modulation
>Original CD lens

Can I get a 1000 model, and remove the svideo and add it back to mine. It looks like there are solder points on the board.

Has this been done? Can this be done?
>>
>>4205736
>The Playstation has the drive controllers on the motherboard already, it only connects the cd laser to it. So you couldn't do the same, you'd need to emulate the actual analog feedback data from the optical pickup, and have it controlled by analog servo feedback, etc.
Can't you just solder on CD drive emulator anyway? It wouldn't exactly be plug and play, but it should still work, right?
>>
>>4205736
Of course it's simpler for someone who can't into electronics to just emulate. Massively easier. But all it takes is one guy who knows what he's doing and doesn't realize there's millions of $5 playstations laying around to build it.
>>
What are the drawbacks of using a PS2 for PS1 games? Because I don't know any
>>
>>4205725
>I thought you wanted to combine an early system with the late ones gpu to get rid of the banding.
Im sorry I missed this post.

I apparently have an old model psx with the new model gpu fix.

This PSX was given to me as payment for driving a guy to work for months. He knew what it was, but didn't know specifically or even care. He did say that he got it from the initial purchaser, who sold it to him bragging about some feature or something. That is the most I got out of the guy that gave it to me. I figured he was just happy it was a 1001 model for the cd player meme.

I really just need to add svideo and I have the best psx ever.
>>
>>4203754
>be me
>order Kino SCPH-5501
>get package
>open package
>its a SCPH-9001
>repack instantly
>send back without plugging in
>>
>>4206148
>PSIO with little to no issues is a pipe dream.

It is technically possible to make such an emulator that works on the data stream level, but installation would then require multiple solder points to the ICs. PSIO only needs what, a few? That's a damn miracle already.
>>
>>4206204
Keep in mind that to make this, you have to do long nights of dumping data output, analyse them, and reverse engineer them. People who can do that are extremely far and few, because this is a very special kind of knowledge that requires a lot of learning, very expensive equipment (scopes), expert microcontroller programming ability, and tons and tons and tons of free time.

You also have dozens if not a hundred different PSX motherboards to consider.

And can't you hd load PSX games from a PS2, anyway? Most sane hackers would go that route first, than trying to emulate an analog laser.
>>
File: out.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>4205736
>So you couldn't do the same, you'd need to emulate the actual analog feedback data from the optical pickup, and have it controlled by analog servo feedback, etc. That would require a completely different approach and it might require hardware that is more powerful than the entire system. And at that point it is simpler to just emulate.

i disagree
>>
>>4203754
Wait....
There's more than one play station model?!?!?!?!?!?!?! How much of a fucking degenerate am I!?!?!?!?! I never noticied this wtf
>>
>>4206452
>That's a damn miracle already.
It is a good idea in theory. I hope they get somewhere...If anything, the "research" will be used for the better of preserving the hobby.
>>4206510
>i disagree
Id love to see more. This is exactly what is needed...but it would end up being a drop-in unit. This is not psio at all, but is a way to do it at the start.

>>4206657
>There's more than one play station model?
Yepper.
>>
>>4206474
There are millions of people who can do this. There are apparently no kids who give a fuck who can though. Most people are happy to just use one of those millions of $5 playstations with a $0.50 mod chip.
>>
>>4206510
do cupcakes come out of your crt
>>
>>4203932
No, TV speakers are shit.
You could hear the difference with a decent (>$75 USD) pair of headphones.
This is mainly for music listening enjoyment.
In a videogame where you are concentrating on making jumps without falling you won't notice the minute difference in audio quality.
>>
>>4206225
I don't know of any. But I'd stay away from the PS2 slim. The ribbon cable for the laser is known to scratch the bottom of your Disc Xbox360 style.
>>
>>4206225
That it doesn't run on a PS1 engine, it's actually an emulation (way better than the PS3's shitty emulation). PS1 games running on PS2 hardwares have plenty of problems, ranging from lock-ups, de-syncing, missing audio, etc. The best bet to play PS1 AND PS2 games is the ultra-rare PSX (No, not the PS1 'PSX', the Japanese-only console PSX).
>>
>>4204624
False, dual shock controllers are fully compatible even on the earliest PS1s.
>>
>>4204403
A good (Japanese) CRT with properly calibrated sharpness will let you see the dither pattern on S-video, even at couch distance.
>>
>>4206798
First time I heard this, does this happen with every slim?
>>
>>4206474

The PS2's Popstarter loader is even worse than PSIO, it's an emulator designed to run about three games and the rest are lucky to work in varying degrees.
>>
>>4206880
What happens is eventually the glue holding the ribbon cable down wears out from the heat and the ribbon protrudes too high up and scratches your Disc. This is a pretty common problem on slim PS2 except the final model, they moved the ribbon somewhere else.
>>
>>4206510
please tell me where I can get one of those
>>4205725
OP of the frankensteining two different models of Playstations here
that is more or less what I was talking about. I think it' be kinda cool to get the best of both worlds with the earlier sound system and the later improved video
>>
>>4206806
>That it doesn't run on a PS1 engine, it's actually an emulation

Not correct, PS2 includes the full PS1 hardware. It's only some very last models that don't have it and use emulation.
>>
>>4207079
Do the 7000X models have it?

I'm wondering because I've been playing some Castlevania SOTN and I'm getting some mad slowdowns. But then again I never finished it on a PS1.
>>
>>4207079
>PS2 includes the full PS1 hardware
Not exactly. It has a compatible CPU, but the GPU is emulated. Also, the disc reader is faster, which can lead to bugs in games that were hardcoded to time with the disc being read.
>>
>>4203754
>What Japanese revision of the original Playstation with a parallell port should I get?
the one with an s-video jack, faggot
>>
>>4207121
s-video is a meme that was invented for no fucking reason since they could have just started including RGB on Noth American TV sets, but they wanted to separate consumer and professional hardware or some shit. Either way, I have access to display hardware with RGB input.
>>
>>4207121
Why would you want the absolute worst revision of the PlayStation when >>4203818 exists?
>>
>>4206798
>>4207060

Despite this problem the slim PS2 is superior because of the difference in fan noise.

The fat PS2 is just as annoyingly loud as the Xbox and Dreamcast.
The Gamecube is half as loud as the above.
The PS2 slim is a quarter as loud as the Gamecube, making it whisper quiet.
>>
>>4206798
>The ribbon cable for the laser is known to scratch the bottom of your Disc Xbox360 style.

Does anyone know if Microsoft ever fixed this problem in later hardware revisions of the 360 such as the slim and the E?
>>
>>4207060
>What happens is eventually the glue holding the ribbon cable down wears out from the heat and the ribbon protrudes too high up and scratches your Disc. This is a pretty common problem on slim PS2 except the final model, they moved the ribbon somewhere else.

If this happens to my PS2 slim what is the best type of glue to hold it back down?
>>
>>4207060
>the final model, they moved the ribbon somewhere else
Does this final model have other problems? Is it true that they started emulating the whole thing?
>>
>>4207390
I think the final PS2 slim model has in internal power supply instead of an external power brick.
This reduced shipping costs for Sony but it generates more heat requiring more cooling and thus a noisier cooling fan.

This last model of PS2 Slim is also harder to hack with FreeMcboot and is uncommon in North America. Most PS2 slims you find will be the power brick design.

Note that both PS2 slim and PS2 phat have cheap lasers that go bad easily.
>>
>>4207475
>internal power supply instead of an external power brick
I prefer having it external since it's far easier to replace it with an aftermarket switching PSU in that case.
>uncommon in North America
I always buy Japanese units anyways for shipping reasons.
>>
>>4207384
I'd look up heat resistant adhesives. There's a few videos on YouTube for solutions.
>>
>>4207083
That game just has lots of slowdowns, your hardware is fine.
>>
>>4207753
>I'd look up heat resistant adhesives.
High temp RTV would be my first choice. It will stick and stay forever, but should peel off pretty easily if/when you are done.
>>
>>4208676
>Up to 650f
Nice! Good find.
>>
>>4208686
>Nice! Good find.
I would only use a rice sized dot, and make sure both surfaces are clean. Press down gently, but not to crush the glue everywhere. I use this stuff semi-professionally at times....You aren't trying to spread it thin, but are trying to create a small wad.
>>
>>4207112
>but the GPU is emulated.

The GPU is directly backwards compatible, some people even described it as 8x PSX GPUs glued together with super fast rdram.

>Also, the disc reader is faster

Can be set back to normal read speed in the bios. You can also disable texture filtering there.

Some games are indeed buggy but it's like a dozen or two titles our of a library of 2000+, some which also bug out on different PSX models.
>>
Are there aftermarket switching PSUs that you can replace the internal one in the original Playstation with?
>>
>>4209497
Not exactly but a multi output step down PSU can be adjusted to output the correct voltages by changing a couple parts. So the same pico PSU that you'd use in a Saturn, DC, etc can be made to work in a PS1 by changing at most 4 resistors and 4 capacitors.
>>
>>4207380
Only the early models. My 50004 (fat) is almost inaudible.
>>
>>4209947
I find this to be accurate. I have an earlier 3xxx series fat and a scph 50003 both of which I have attached hdd for fmcb only. The earlier model is annoyingly loud. The 50003 is pretty quiet.

I also have a slim 77003 and even though the volume of the fan is probably lower than the 3xxx series fat I find the higher pitch fan just as annoying.
>>
Sup

I see there's some people around here with a lot of technical knowledge when it comes to both the PS1 and the PS2 so since this thread exists, let's see if you could help me here with something.

I have a PAL PSTwo (70004) that I wanted to use for PS1 games for a while. Problem is most if not all releases I could want are NTSC. After doing some research I found that I had two options if I wanted to enjoy NTSC games without compatibility issues or anything, and without fucking with the drive while doing some disc swapping.

The first method involves using FMCB, PS1VModeNeg and a handy tool on Windows called SetRegion. So these are the steps I have to take:

1. Patch the game with SetRegion and burn it
2. Boot with an original PS1 game
3. Load uLaunchELF with disc control so it stops the drive and swap that disc
4. Open PS1VModeNeg

The other method is pretty much the same except it involves patching (with the same tool) a copy of Gameshark Lite and using that to boot unpatched NTSC games. So that's a double swap and quite a bit of time spent trying to boot a game.

So I've been looking for either an alternative to Gameshark Lite that doesn't take so much to boot, or maybe a better method.

Any ideas?
>>
>>4210575
Modbo
>>
>>4210575
you know you can just put all the games on a ps2 hdd and load them off there with OPL
>>
>>4210826
>why not just emulate
>>
>>4210826

He said he wants to use it for PS1 games you dingus. Popstarter is fucking shit, somehow even more shit on the PS2 HDD.
>>
track down a net yaroze
>>
>>4203812
What's that called?
>>
>>4210826
>all the games
nope
>>
>>4210826
Nah, already tried it and frankly it was quite terrible. Sure I had playable titles but they were glitchy enough to give it up. At that point I would just emulate.

>>4210590
I was considering anything but hardmodding. I'm really not good at soldering.

I will still use the patched game option, it seems that the video mode is not tampered with so if I ever decide to use these backups on a PS1 instead I won't have issues. Man, the PS1 mode on PS2 really seems weird.
>>
>>4203942

The problem with swap discs is games with the redbook audio. Unless the ToC matches exactly, the game will skip audio tracks, play the wrong one, or just refuse to load altogether. Just buy a 4 dollar modchip and be done with it.
>>
File: 1476748002155.jpg (237KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1476748002155.jpg
237KB, 1024x768px
I like the scph 1001 with a replaced and calibrated laser the best desu. People shit on the color banding problem but in a lot of games it gives a really interesting and unique look rather than the problems presented by tomb raider; It kind of looks like the sega saturn's output in a way.

Realistically though, the differences are minimal and I doubt you'd actually notice them when you're playing a game. Just buy one and flash a chip. Don't bother with PSIO or swapping discs, it's a cheaper and much more elegant solution.
>>
File: guncon-b.gif (12KB, 432x159px) Image search: [Google]
guncon-b.gif
12KB, 432x159px
>>4211396
SCPH-1160

The PS2 version (SCPH-10130, see >>4203818) adds an s-video breakout too but is considerably harder to come by.
>>
>>4212121
Thank you! I remember having just a box full I bought from a yardsale; I didn't know what they were so I sold them back off at about $.75 each.
>>
>>4206510
I'll ask again
does anyone know the sauce? if there's a tutorial on this? I'd REALLY like to know
>>
>>4212032
>The problem with swap discs is games with the redbook audio. Unless the ToC matches exactly, the game will skip audio tracks, play the wrong one, or just refuse to load altogether.

No idea where you're getting this from. I've been using a swap disc for years. Redbook audio is fine. The only thing the swap disc does is boot the console past the BIOS screen / region check.

And I'm talking about commercial swap discs, not some potentially damaging method of swapping one game disc for another game disc.
>>
>>4212032
Does this problem also happen with UniROM gamesharks?
>>
>>4212245

I'm sorry, I was talking about a situation in which somebody was using an original disc to swap in conjunction with a parallel port cheat device. From what I understand this limitation is present even on the PS2 when swapping PS1 games. How do the boot discs themselves get around it?

>>4212336

UniROM is able to boot without swapping isn't it? I imagine that might be able to bypass it somehow, although I've never used it myself so I'm not sure. Try it!
>>
>>4212390
>How do the boot discs themselves get around it?

What are you talking about? I'm referring to using a swap disc on real PS1 hardware. The disc reproduces the PS1's region coding. I'm not sure how it does it since it's not an officially licensed product, but it does. You don't need any external devices to make the disc boot.
>>
>>4212416

If you were to boot a backup copy of street fighter II collection with a game that only has 1 data track, the audio in the game won't work; That's what I'm talking about. MMX3 and Silhouette Mirage should have problems as well.

In addition, if you use a copy of a game that has more tracks (I used star gladiator) The audio will play, but it will start and stop at incorrect spots and sometimes will play the wrong track for the environment.
>>
File: 61YEV48D3GL.jpg (79KB, 456x500px) Image search: [Google]
61YEV48D3GL.jpg
79KB, 456x500px
>>4212425
>If you were to boot a backup copy of street fighter II collection with a game that only has 1 data track, the audio in the game won't work

Do you know what a commercial swap disc is? We're not talking about swapping one game for another. Please re-read my posts.
>>
>>4212452

>I'm sorry, I was talking about a situation in which somebody was using an original disc to swap in conjunction with a parallel port cheat device.

I know my duder, I already addressed this! That's all I was curious about, what do those do differently that swapping with an official game can't?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (228KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
228KB, 1920x1080px
>>4212452
>Do you know what a commercial swap disc is?
Yes. It is the next evolution in playing backups right after caveman. I never have to open the lid once I select my title. Anything less is uncivilized.
>>4212461
>what do those do differently that swapping with an official game can't?
They make the game stop spinning so that you are not ripping out the disc while things are moving.... A.k.a. "Caveman style".
>>
>>4212486

You realize a parallel port cheat device stops the disc as well, right?
>>
>>4212498
>You realize a parallel port cheat device stops the disc as well, right?

I included that photo to show the evolution of "waste of time" mods. I hate the idea of disc swapping. It is beneath me. I don't have to mod a psx to play backups.
>>
>>4203818
>>4203812
Are there more of these for other consoles? (Nintendo ones for instance)
>>
>>4212121
>SCPH-1160
If I have a 1001, can I plug the Svideo directly into the "multi out" and the guncon into the composite video port on the system? I actually have a guncon1 coming in the mail, and Id like to know if this configuration works.
>>
>>4212734
Yes you can do that, or just use the composite out on the 1160 for the Guncon.

In the past I've used all three outputs on the 10130 simultaneously with composite, s-video and RGB simultaneously into my TV for comparison purposes. I've also swapped pins 5 and 6 internally on one so I can output sync on luma from the composite port in conjunction with a YPbPr cable handling the R,G and B lines.

Those breakout boxes are really really handy things to have lying around.
>>
>>4212764
>Those breakout boxes are really really handy things to have lying around.
I wish I had one, but with the 1001 collection I have, it is unnecessary.
>>
>>4212845
Sure, if you want to continue using its gimped RCAs be my guest.
>>
>>4212764
If you plug a PS2 component cable into a PS1 multi out, what signal will come out of each of the three RCA ends?
>>
>>4203754
That reminds me of that delicious pussy stack picture
>>
>>4212937
Red, green and blue.

Only thing missing is sync which can be acquired from the composite out on the console itself (scph-100x) or from a breakout box.

BAM! No more SCART.
>>
>>4212912
>Sure, if you want to continue using its gimped RCAs be my guest.
Don't sound foolish. my 1001 models have both RCA and multi out. I have svideo coming out the multi out, and still have the a/v composite jacks in the back of the system
>>
>>4212969
The audio outs on the console pass through 20+ year old coupling capacitors. The multi-av has no such obstructions and passes a pure signal direct from the DAC.

It's not foolishness, just realism.
>>
>>4212959
PS1 doesn't support Component though
>>
>>4212486
>wires up a switch instead of just using a modchip
But why?
>>
>>4212121
So this Guncon device needs the sync signal from composite to work?
Why is there another input in the T shaped yellow plug?
What do you plug into there?
>>
So do I get a ps3 or ps2 to play ps games?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 240x93px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 240x93px
>>4213362
It's for if you have a 100x and just want to use the RCAs on the back of it.

Console -> Guncon T-adaptor (passthrough) -> RCA cable -> Display
>>
File: 2016-11-30 16.01.37.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-30 16.01.37.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
This thread is relevant to my interests. I have accumulated pretty much every model and need to put together one or two for personal use and sell the rest. Also too many Genesises, but that's another thread. (not pictured: the same number of playstations again)

>>4213362
The guncon could go in between the TV and the PS1's AV cable.
>>
>>4213601
It can but that often results in reach and general "dangly wire" issues.

Recommended way is best way imo.
>>
>>4213053
I think what he's saying is RGB via RCA cables usually meant for YPbPr, while also using a breakout box or an early PS1 for sync.
RGB and YPbPr are output from the same pins in the Multi-Out port, which is why the PS2 requires you to change the color space depending on whether you're using RGB or YPbPr cables.
>>
Why does the Guncon even need composite sync when other console light guns do not?

Will the Guncon still work if you don't plug it into composite?
Are there any other light guns in existance that require a sync signal?
>>
>>4214557
>Why does the Guncon even need composite sync when other console light guns do not?
The gun is detecting an optical flash when the raster sweeps in front of it. (This happens once per line, for a few lines each frame, in front of the gun.) Somewhere, you need to time this against the video signal. Older consoles supported an interrupt triggered from the controller port. The gun would trigger the interrupt at the optical flash; you catch that interrupt, and immediately query the video chip (VDP/PPU/whatever) about the current scan position. You track all of the flashes (lines) that the gun sees over the frame, and derive the center position in software. The PSX doesn't have a way to trigger an interrupt on the controller port, so there's no way to precisely signal to the PSX when a flash occurred on the gun. Instead, the timing has to happen inside the gun itself. The GunCon detects the sync pulses on the composite (or Y) video signal. It measures the time between H and V sync, and the optical flash, to determine where the gun is pointed, and relays its result to the PSX as controller data.
>>
>>4213505
PS3 if you have an HDTV, PS2 if you have a CRT.
>>
>>4214571
How did the other guns work on the PS1? I had some other shitty gun (forget which brand) and it didn't have a composite cable like the GunCon.
>>
Been using a Gameshark 2.1 for Unirom.

The gameshark has a switch on the side. I don't know wtf it does. I only had issues playing backup, which was Chronocross...my real discs are btfo. I don't know why, but I got the urge to flip the switch up. It did not seem to do anything, but now Cross works without issue including the ingame swap from disc 1 to 2.

What does the game-shark switch do? There is very little other than it "turns it off and on"....but it loads UniROM without issue no matter which position the switch is.
>>
>>4212959
The PS1 is missing coupling capacitors in the RGB lines.
>>
Any PS1 models with a quiet laser?
>>
>fucking Dreamcast and Saturn both have SD-based optical-drive replacements with 100% compatibility
>PSX doesn't

What is wrong with electrical engineer fags
>>
>>4218181
So do a lot of consoles.

Your point?
>>
>>4220246

It's more that it's one guy that made both the Dreamcast and Saturn replacements. There really aren't that many people with the level of knowledge required, if he doesn't want to do it, it won't get done.
>>
>>4220307
Both those consoles have the drive circuitry integrated with the drives themselves rather than baked into the mainboard like the PlayStation.
>>
>>4220310
This, by the way, is why the PS-IO needs a diverter module soldered inside the case rather than being a standalone unit solely plugged into the parallel port.

http://ps-io.com/switch_board/

There is unfortunately no other way of doing it.
>>
>>4220307
>there aren't many electrical engineers

I hope you're being intentionally retarded, anon. Sega guy doesn't have any special knowledge either, it's all done from publicly available documents and a little reverse engineering.
>>
>>4217090
I was mistaken, the PSX does in fact have an interrupt triggered from the controller port:
http://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm#controllerslightgunskonamijustifierhyperblasterirq10

Looks like it was sufficiently difficult to use correctly that Namco just didn't bother.
>>
>>4220294
>Your point?
Both the console and the TV have their own power supply. Connecting two different power sources with a DC connection is dangerous and, depending on where you live, forbidden. That's why RGB cables have capacitors when the console is missing them.
>>
>>4220346
Hoe does PS2 output YPbPr and RGB on exactly the same pins then?

Should I stop using mine and alert the authorities to this 17 year old potential housefire in hundreds of millions of homes?
>>
File: rgb-ps2.png (119KB, 532x737px) Image search: [Google]
rgb-ps2.png
119KB, 532x737px
>>4220357
>Hoe does PS2 output YPbPr and RGB on exactly the same pins then?
The PS2 does have coupling capacitors in the RGB/YPbPr lines. See picture.

>Should I stop using mine and alert the authorities to this 17 year old potential housefire in hundreds of millions of homes?
Do what you want. Only PS1s have this issue so there's no problem for those hundred of millions of homes.
>>
File: rgb-ps1.png (111KB, 1249x587px) Image search: [Google]
rgb-ps1.png
111KB, 1249x587px
>>4220357
>>4220370
Here's the PSOne showing coupling capacitors in composite and S-video but not RGB.
>>
>>4220370
>Only PS1s have this issue so there's no problem for those hundred of millions of homes.
What about the dozens of us that still have a ps1, and have survived this long. I don't do that sort of drawing, so I don't know what you are getting at. Without being too much a dick, I do have a psx, and use it.
>>
>>4220380
>What about the dozens of us that still have a ps1, and have survived this long.
There are millions of homes with no proper wiring and grounding that have survived for longer. Doesn't mean that no one should be wiring their homes to specs and regulations.

>I don't do that sort of drawing, so I don't know what you are getting at.
The PS2 was designed to use the YPbPr cable while the PS1 wasn't..

> Without being too much a dick, I do have a psx, and use it.
More power to you. I'm just telling people that such use is out of spec.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.