[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this game have so few weapons compared to Half-Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Half-Life_Blue_Shift_box.jpg (103KB, 256x315px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_Blue_Shift_box.jpg
103KB, 256x315px
Why does this game have so few weapons compared to Half-Life 1 and Opposing Force?

You don't even get the crossbow, tau cannon, gluon gun, hivehand, etc, from the original base game? They left out half the guns. This is especially poor compared to Opposing Force, which added the wrench, knife, desert eagle, displacer cannon, shock roach, spore launcher, barnacle grapple, M249 SAW, and sniper rifle.
And new enemies. Again, Blue Shift left out more from the base game.
>>
Probably because it was a quick cash out expansion before people stopped caring about HL1. Don't forget it only had half the number of chapters.
>>
Even at the time, it seemed incomplete, half-hearted, and I think they even confirmed it was non-canon just prior to release. Counter-Strike had gone gold over a year before and Valve was giving paydays to every two-bit mod maker in the community.
>>
Blue Shit was never good.
>>
>>4202130
Also it was an insult after the great Op4.
>>
>>4202106
It was intended as bonus content for the Dreamcast port.

When that was cancelled, they didn't feel like just throwing everything away so they just released it for PC.
>>
I think that
>>4202121
>>4202128
are mostly right. Valve had already done HL1, Opposing Force, and just released Counter-Strike. Blue Shift was probably something between an afterthought and a quick cash-in to keep the HL gravy train running.

From a design perspective, however, they probably thought it made sense to give Barney fewer weapons. He wasn't a special individual (Gordon) or a trained soldier (Shepard). He was just a dopey security guard. The problem is that, while this may have made sense in-universe, it doesn't make for a very fun game.
>>
>>4202159
But you would think the security guard would have more training with guns than some random scientist who got lucky and happened upon a bunch of artillery.
>>
>>4202238
There's clearly something "special" about Gordon.

We don't know what it is, and we may never know given Valve's well-documented reluctance to make Half Life 3, but there's clearly a reason that Gman is keeping tabs on Gordon. There's a reason he put Gordon into stasis at the end of HL1 and then woke him up in time for HL2.

We may never find out why Gman is so interested in Gordon, but I think it's at least safe to say that he's not just "some random scientist"
>>
>>4202331
G-Man is aware that Gordon is a video game character being controlled by a person.
>>
>>4202424
is that something you pulled out of your ass or is that like a real theory and can you post some evidence because that would be real interesting to read.
>>
>>4202451
don't know about the g-man but a vortigaunt in HL2 implies it
>Far distant eyes look out through yours.
>How many are there in you? Whose hopes and dreams do you encompass?
>>
>>4202451
Someone posted about it on you tube recently. Truth about the gman or something. The man is sans and shit.
>>
>>4202106
Really feel like this isn't retro, but even so, thanks for letting me know about it. Wasn't aware til just now.
>>
>>4202613
It's an expansion pack to a 1998 game.

Question: are AoEII:HD and it's expansions threads allowed or is it not technically the same retro game?
>>
I've always gotten the feeling more people like this than opposing force despite opposing force being far superior.
>>
File: FlKgzaN.jpg (545KB, 795x1260px) Image search: [Google]
FlKgzaN.jpg
545KB, 795x1260px
>>4203000
best half life expansion is gunman chronicles
>>
Because the point is you play the security guy.

I love Blue Shift personally. I like it more than Opposing Forces. It has excellent level design, unlike Op Forces which is all over the place and is all about "quantity over quality", and it's perfect summary of HL1.

>>4203142
That's like saying Strife is an add-on of Doom.
>>
>>4202953
Direct ports, HD ports, and expansions are allowed.
>>
>>4203165
Is Bionic Commando Rearmed an HD port or a remake?
>>
Why does everyone forget that Blue shift also included a HD version of all the weapons and shit for HL? It wasn't just the expansion, it was a full upgrade to HL1
>>
>>4202592
The hl writer already twittered that his theory is bullshit.
And you are thinking of the game theory video that is lazily researched.
>>
>>4202451
I like how I can't draw upon my own experience and conclusions and a theory is only valid if it's on a Buzzfeed list or DIDYOUKNOW!?! video.
>>
>>4203142
This game is so damn awesome. All those weapons and the customizations for them, man.
>>
>>4203327
>The hl writer

Yeah I'm gonna trust some guy who abandoned his series midway through. At this point might as well let the fans finish it and see it however they want, not like Valve ever will.
>>
>>4203247
Did we forget?
>>
>>4203775
I'd say it's more that he's fed up from valve abandoning and never finishing the series
>>
>>4202149
>It was intended as bonus content for the Dreamcast port.
This, I'm surprised so few people knew about this.
>>
>>4202238
Not really. Security does take in some ex mil types... But even many of those were pogues while in service, nor necesarily a fighting man or a good shot even. For all you know Gordon was a /k/tard or the 90s BBS equivalent.
>>
>>4205107
We had regular message boards in the 90's
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.