[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Myst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: Myst.jpg (63KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
Myst.jpg
63KB, 1000x500px
Can we get a Myst thread going?

I grew up on Myst and Riven. I spent HOURS wandering those worlds. Anyone else enjoy the beautiful and detailed Ages?
>>
File: myst crop.jpg (397KB, 1704x1103px) Image search: [Google]
myst crop.jpg
397KB, 1704x1103px
>>4202032

Loved Myst. I didn't like how Riven was one huge open world, I haven't actually completed it yet. I just wander around trying to figure stuff out then moving on when it looks like I've tried everything.

Very frustrating, I've lost track of all the stuff I've gone past. In Myst at least the puzzles were compartmentalized. Riven seems more like a psychology experiment when you're in a huge land full of levers that do nothing.

Maybe I'm just a brainlet tho. Beautiful games!
>>
>>4202503

OP here.

Actually, I liked Riven more than Myst, partly for the reason you disliked it. I loved the whole world feel.

The puzzles were really cool in Riven, in my opinion and I loved the way the world kind of changed around you as you solved them (like how shutting down the boiler on Crater Island would open a path to get to the back end of the Great Golden Dome on Temple Island, allowing you to open a second bridge around, so you could access the press puzzle).

I liked how there was actually visible life in Riven. You could see the Sunners laying on their rocks on Jungle Island (and if you were cautious, you could approach them), the Wharks in the observatory in Plateau Island, the Beetle on Jungle Island, and a few of the D'Ni people around the world.

For some reason, the Steam version won't run properly on my PC, which makes me sad.
>>
>>4203093
Riven is still the uncontested king of atmosphere for me.

No game has ever made me feel this weird sense of unease and discovery while playing. The music obviously plays a huge part in this, but the world design is also top notch. Amazing what they could with 5 CDs back in the days.
>>
How has Myst aged? Would I still find it interesting if I first play through it?
>>
I was always fascinated by Myst when I was a kid. I never got a chance to play it though. Is the PSX port worth playing if I don't have access to the steam version?
>>
File: myst-23.jpg (109KB, 543x332px) Image search: [Google]
myst-23.jpg
109KB, 543x332px
>>4203093

Try the nightlies of ScummVM, they play Myst Masterpiece and Riven perfectly.

>>4203521

I feel it holds up extremely well compared to a lot of other adventure games in the same vein that came out around the mid 90s. All the puzzles are very logical, and can be reasoned through without having to guess designer intent. The atmosphere is top notch, and both Myst and Riven capture a sense of place and atmosphere like almost no other games do.

If you're wondering what version to play:
Myst on windows 3.1 or Mac system 7 - runnable through dosbox or emulator. The original release. Colors are 8-bit using an adaptive palette, and video is a little bit grainy.

Myst: Masterpiece Edition - Runs perfect via Scummvm. 24-bit color, and much better compression on video. My preferred version of the game.

RealMyst (original release) - Adds a tiny bonus age, but mostly a step down imho. Hard to get running on modern PCs. Art direction was compromised, but hey its Myst in real 3D which was cool at the time.

RealMyst Masterpiece Edition - The initial release was just a port to the Unity engine, but the 2.0 update really nailed the release into shape. Art direction is very close to the original now, there are some great time of day and weather effects, and it generally feels like what RealMyst should have been in the first place. A good way to play through the game.
>>
I had both games growing up but never got to far in them because I was a retarded kid
>>
File: 2281873.png (15KB, 1346x820px) Image search: [Google]
2281873.png
15KB, 1346x820px
>>4203093
Just beat Riven for the first time and I'd have to agree with you. The world felt fantastic to explore and I thoroughly enjoyed the puzzles. An experience that will stick with me, for sure. I'll probably never forget the D'ni number system, or the sights and sounds of the beach on Jungle Island, or that feeling you get when you climb the stairs of Survey Island for the first time and see the spires.
I played the GOG version and it seemed to run fine aside from some minor animations seemingly not starting.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.