[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fixed my ps1, kinda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170820_004009_224.jpg (500KB, 1632x1197px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_004009_224.jpg
500KB, 1632x1197px
i recently bought this ps 1 as "untested", I had to replace the cd drive and there was this unbearable noise/clipping/distortion in the sound of the games (except for the cutscenes/ audio cds). The guilty joint was on IC106, which is labeled as " cpu dram" on some russian hw wiki. The gross thing you see in the picture is my work. There were two cold joints, the one causing the sound issues was pin 14. The other one was pin 26. I broke that one and I'm fucking angry at myself now. The system works, it runs games, but I'm afraid it will glitch or write invalid save data or something. Basically, my first reason for creating this thread is that people with the same problem can find this post in the archives. My real reason: does anyone a schematic of that Toshiba chip? I really hope that it was just some ground pin, damn. please, no bully about my soldering
>>
What exactly was your iron setup? As in, what iron, what heat setting, what tip, what kind of solder, what kind of solder sucker?

Trying to figure out how you fucked up this bad, because this shouldn't have been a hard repair at all.
>>
>>4201849
I bundled up a bunch of matchsticks onto a butter knife and lit them. I used plastic as solder.
>>
>>4201763
Oh, and I'm not trying to break your balls, I'm trying to be helpful. If I can get your workstation setup, I may be able to help you chose better settings in the future so it doesn't happen again.

And I've googled for this memory module. All I can figure out is that it's EDO Dram made by Toshiba, and that Toshiba exited the memory business some time ago. I can't find a datasheet anywhere, not even on Micron's site (who bought Toshiba's memory business).

If you start getting a bunch of errors, you may have to either junk this PS1, or find a broken one to pull a memory chip out of.
>>
it doesnt look like it conected to the same copper as pins 1,6,12 did it?

it looks like theres a few milimeters of the pin still, can you clean the board to reach the contact for pin 26? apply super glue around it to avoid solder spread

stick some ruber sheet around between pin26, and then you have a working area in a way that you shaky hand cant mess it up

trust me im an terrible amateur solder who likes to fix my own stuff once a year and cope with doing retarded shit like that to get what i want with my untrained hands
>>
If you smoke cigarettes will your hands shake less like in Metal Gear Solid?
>>
Can someone post that drag soldering gif to help OP?
>>
>>4201763
>>4201763
saved, can't wait for the next gore thread.

this is what happens when a total amateur normalfag who has never soldered a thing in his life tries soldering. I won't bother calling it embarrassing, sickening, or pathetic, but I will say that it is BEYOND typical. anyways, to not fuck up in the future, I have a bit of advice.

Practice soldering -BEFORE- you try fixing anything. Find some old junk and practice desoldering chips! Master drag soldering! Hell if you're really feeling it buy a practice kit! And remember, "when your soldering sucks, USE FLUX!!!!!!" Seriously I cannot stress the importance of flux to an amateur enough.
>>
>>4203272
just if hands are shaking from nicotine abstinence
also any soothing effect from tobaco reported from smokers is just from the anxiety that the habit brings anyway, theres no reason to pick up smoking, its pretty retarded
eat a rice sized piece of mushroom or some canabis cookie instead
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.