[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Quality hack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: screenshot comparison.jpg (276KB, 1024x480px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot comparison.jpg
276KB, 1024x480px
>Removed black bars on the top and bottom of the screen (ingame, menu, final scene);
>Updated the tile maps of all locations to increase the visible area of the screen;
>Unlocked and finalized rooms under the hatch (at the entrance to the usual and reverse castles);
>The positions of some menu items have been changed (expanded backgrounds & frames, etc.);
>Impossibility to leave the castle through the gate by playing for Richter;
>Impossibility to keep the initial equipment of Alucard (avoiding a meeting with Death, using the trick with a wolf, is no longer possible);
>Impossibility of going outside the castle in the location of “Royal Chapel” (in the form of a bat);
>The loading rooms on the global map are now highlighted in white;

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3606/
>>
>autism hack
>>
wtf I didn't even think this was possible.
>>
File: Untitled.png (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
62KB, 640x480px
What it looks like in-game if you set it to 4:3.
>>
>>4201716
>>Impossibility to leave the castle through the gate by playing for Richter;
>>Impossibility to keep the initial equipment of Alucard (avoiding a meeting with Death, using the trick with a wolf, is no longer possible);
>>Impossibility of going outside the castle in the location of “Royal Chapel” (in the form of a bat);

Ah yes, the elusive "no fun allowed" or "speedrunners make me mad" hack.
>>
>>4201762

Re-releases on Playstation, Saturn, and PSP fixed all those though. They're clearly glitches. It's just porting or replicating those fixes to the NTSC-U version.
>>
>Removed black bars on the top and bottom of the screen

Literally cheating.
>>
>removing a part of the game that makes it seem more like a movie (the film motif was always in Castlevania, see the title screens)
>>
>>4201751
Please don't do this.
>>
>>4201716
I saw this a few days ago and wondered why the hack didn't also move the HUD up to the new top of the screen.
>>
>>4202009
Black bars don't make things more cinematic dumb shit, it's the wide aspect ratio that does. Black bars do absolutely nothing for SOTN in this regard because it's still a non-wide AR.
>>
>>4201771
For what purpose? You can't get those doing normal shit.
>>
Wait, those black bars are intentional? I always thought I had stuffed up with my emulation somehow.
Would they be on the PSX version on a 4:3 CRT as well?
>>
>>4201716
unfortunately it goes too far by removing "for fun" exploits
>>
>>4201762
yeah I don't really get it point of this either

I mean if someone was against using cheap tactics like those, couldn't they just NOT do them?
>>
>>4201716
give me a hack where the drop rates for everything is boosted, but the weapons are all nerfed. like, give me a reason for collecting ultra-rare shit like the Rune Sword, besides my autistic need to collect things.
>>
>>4201716
>emulating this game on my CRT monitor
>adjusted vertical height of the monitor so the game fills the screen
>always felt "off"

I guess now I know why.
>>
>>4201716
Call me when someone does this for the fan translation of the game...I'm done with the US version forever now.
>>
>>4201762
>>4202146
Why is this an issue though? Hacks are never allowed in speed-runs regardless
>>
>>4201762
Would would speedrunners do it on a rom hack?
>>
>>4202407
What's wrong with the US?
>>
>>4202418
No one would care enough to try because the run would be slower.
>>
>Quality hack
>Nitpicky shit and removed gamebreaking bugs because they're "too cheap"
>Added a worthless save room

Wow

What about maybe fixing the fucking framerate issues in original hardware

Or what about maybe making some weapons more interesting to use

Or you know, fixing the multitude of typos, maybe adding shit on basically empty rooms that have nothing but fucking peanuts

Yeah instead remove black bars for a part that had them on purpose
>>
>>4202407
Why not just play the japanese version? It's a fucking action game and you already know the plot and what all items do anyways.
>>
>>4203240
>rom hack
>fixing framerate issues developers couldn't do with source code
>>
File: 1310487992902.png (48KB, 500x1397px) Image search: [Google]
1310487992902.png
48KB, 500x1397px
I love it when older games get fixes for their minor flaws. It makes them shine even brighter
>zelda DX dialog box removal
>metroid save function/automap
anyone have a favorite update?
>>
File: Overscan.png (1MB, 4096x3312px) Image search: [Google]
Overscan.png
1MB, 4096x3312px
>>4201716
now i can finally play Castleludo the way it was meant to be played.
>>
Nice hack. i'll make sure to try next time I play the game... that is, next time I want to play the PS version rather than the Saturn one for some godforsaken reason

>>4203438
My favourites are the lag reduction patches and bug fixes for Mega Man 3, 4,5 and 6.
>>
>>4203502
nice. didnt know about those
>>
>>4201716
Pointless. Someone should work on translating the Saturn version.
>>
>>4204465
Or maybe some madmen can optimize the game for Saturn to cut down on Konami's bullshit
>>
>>4202489
Shitty voice acting, bad translation and wrong monster names.

>>4203251
I do, but it's been translated into English, that's why I'm saying I want this hack for that version, since the hack is only for the US version.
>>
>>4204532
imo the only gameplay thing that holds the saturn version back is having to go into the status menu to view the map
>>
I envision a time, not too far away when the hacking community gets so good at these, that they fix the tiny little fuck-ups every retro game has.

Even the nearly flawless SMB3 was lacking a save feature.
>>
>>4204571
>emulators nearly universally have save states
>but better add an sram for reasons

Seriously the only point I can see for this is for repro makers.
>>
>>4204590
I accidentally overwrite the wrong save once in a while so having a backup one is nice
>>
>>4202489
Removal of familiars and Maria Mode?
>>
>>4204539
> he hates the voice acting

Its not like japan ever did it better.
>>
>>4204571
If someone cames with a improvement/bugfix patch for Gran Turismo 2 I'd be pretty happy
>>
>>4201716
Needs a NG+ hack which makes the enemies as strong as Dracula's Guardians at the start then gets harder from there. Bosses should all be atleast as powerful as Galamoth.
>>
>>4203472
YO NIGGA, why is it so big.
>>
>>4206304
>a bunch of "actors" they hired from among the localization staff's friends and relatives
>doing a better job than actual professionals from japan's serious as fuck VA industry
Did a japanese soldier kill your grandpa or something
>>
>>4201771
yet on PSP you can just FUCKING pull a 180 and then come back and Death won't be there. XBLA/PSN versions have all those glitches and then some
>>
also has Saturn of the Night gotten fan translated yet?
>>
>>4208264
>XBLA/PSN versions have all those glitches and then some

Cuz it's just PS1 emulation.
>>
File: out[1].png (56KB, 640x240px) Image search: [Google]
out[1].png
56KB, 640x240px
Working on re-adjusting the HUD.
>>
>>4208264
That is hilarious
>>
>>4208794
Quite.

>>4208264
And the way you word it makes it all the more hilarious.
>>
>>4204571
I'd enjoy mods for proper turn based gameplay in ATB Final Fantasy games. Get that bar out of there.
>>
>>4208787
nice
>>
>>4208787
Keep us up to date, and tell us about any other future changes you may have senpai. I'm excited.
>>
>>4206578
Have you checked out the HardType hack?
>>
Call me when there's a hack that adds in all the Saturn content, including the 'third hand' equip slot, and the new Maria mode.
>>
>>4213283
Literally this.

>>4209253
Also, this would be interesting too.
But the ROM hack I want for Final Fantasy IV, V and VI is basically a hack that adds in everything good from the Game Boy Advance ports but still keeping everything that was better in the Super Famicom version.
>>
Someone should make a balance hack that makes equipment more usable. There's a good amount of items that seem worthless the moment you get them, even if you try to get them really early on.
>>
>>4203502
>playing Saturn version
Truly a king of contrarians.
>>
File: Sonic_Anniversary.png (355KB, 764x570px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Anniversary.png
355KB, 764x570px
>>4203438
Sonic 3C. Do I even need to go into why?
>>
>>4201716
>>Unlocked and finalized rooms under the hatch (at the entrance to the usual and reverse castles);
Do you mean you ported over Underground Garden from the Saturn version?
>>
>>4214292
What he's implying is that because the Saturn version is so awful someone should mod that content into the PS version so nobody has to play the terrible Saturn port again. I admit it would be cool, but not sure if it's possible without access to the source code.
>>
>>4203423
Didn't someone do this with metal slug 2?
>>
File: out[1].png (230KB, 768x240px) Image search: [Google]
out[1].png
230KB, 768x240px
1.1 release with HUD changes.
>>
>>4203423
>>4214506
Quite a few games have "lag reduction patches", which work on real hardware. It's all about optimizing the code (which is easier said than done), and they work on real hardware. For instance, MM3/4/5/6 have some.

>>4214435
No, I mean the Saturn version is the best version. Now of course getting the Saturn content onto PS1 to get the best of both worlds would be amazing, but it's honestly not worth anyone's trouble.
>>
>>4216607
much better
>>
File: 1354285829349.jpg (101KB, 560x451px) Image search: [Google]
1354285829349.jpg
101KB, 560x451px
>>4216607
Thanks for the update, when I get the chance over the next few days I'll play it to completion and see if I notice any bugs.
>>
>>4201762
This.
>>
I just want to play as the updated Richter sprite on the PSX version
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.