[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

orignal gb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

will it ever be topped?
it had so many great original games while advance just had inferior remakes of snes games
or am i just nostalgiablinded and GB also just had inferior versions of NES / Snes games
>>
Pocket was better in every way
>>
>>4200836
PSP > Gameboy with it's puke green screen
>>
>>4200851
At least game boy had games
>>
>>4200836
>will it ever be topped?
Not in my mind. GBC had potential, but there was just too much shovelware and licensed garbage completely saturating the market at that point. There are few GBC-exclusive games I can honestly say I care for. Remember that black carts, and every Pokemon except Crystal, was a dual-mode game. They're all compatible with classic GB hardware, so they don't count as GBC exclusives.

>>4200842
>Pocket was better in every way
I thought OP was just referring to the classic GB line in general, not necessarily the pea soup Game Boys.

>>4200851
Shit battery life and dead pixels
>>
>>4200858
Psp has plenty of good games u fuck wit
>>
>>4200836
>just had inferior remakes of snes games
That's less than 5% of it's library though. Maybe less than 1%.
>>
>>4200864
Rechargeable, swapable battery packs are always better than dealing with normal batteries so a non-issue.

PSP running emulators is very battery friendly since it's the disk drive that eats all the juice.

PSP can play every gameboy game, Gameboy can't play any PSP games.

Gameboy is built like a solid durable piece of electronics, PSP is built like shit and breaks if you look at it wrong. Point in GB's favor.
>>
>>4200889
>Rechargeable, swapable battery packs are always better than dealing with normal batteries so a non-issue.

Yeah, no. They had to be recharged frequently, and after an excessive number of charges, their total capacity began to diminish. Good luck with aftermarket battery brands, too.

Also
>implying rechargeable AAs and AAAs don't exist

You're looking at maybe USD $10 at most for a Rayovac rechargeable battery kit. 1.3V batteries work perfectly well with any GB model.
>>
>>4200851
Of course the system that came out 10 years after is going to have a better screen numb nuts
>>
https://www.gamefaqs.com/games/rankings?platform=59&list_type=rate&dlc=1&min_votes=2

Yeah amazing library there *rolls eyes*
>>
I am kerfuffled.
That... On the GB?
>>
>>4200858
You obviously never own a PSP. It has plenty of good games, plus it's compatible to PS1 games, you can even download PS1 games that don't appear on PSN, thus giving you the ability to play the original Resident Evil 1, instead of that awful Director's Cut version. I can also play emulated games from Sega Genesis, SNES, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Boy, Game Gear and more. There's absolutely no reason to buy a Game Boy.

>>4200864
>shit battery life and dead pixels
I don't have either problem with my PSP, especially since the battery is rechargeable.

>>4200910
The fact the PSP can emulate Game Boy games, trumps whatever the Game Boy can offer, dumbass.
>>
>>4200904
>recharged frequently
LOL You obviously don't own a PSP. I never had this issue.
>>
>>4200864
Agreed on GBC, I really wish they had come out with some more stuff that took advantage of it but it felt so sandwiched inbetween GB and GBA.
The only clear cart I ever had was Super Mario DX.
>>
File: 1455139198629.jpg (75KB, 513x592px) Image search: [Google]
1455139198629.jpg
75KB, 513x592px
>>4201076
>You obviously never own a PSP. It has plenty of good games, plus it's
yea were talking about original games, were not talking about emulating on the psp.
>>
>>4201076
Maybe take it to /v/ since this is a retro board?

DMG-01 Gameboy : 1989
PlaystationPortable : 2005
>>
>>4200842
false, DMG has the best sound
>>
>>4200842
The pocket screen is beautiful.

It has that subtle texture to it that makes games look like they are projected onto paper.
Plus the slightly bigger size, and sharper picture.

I love the GBC as well, and the form factor is really nice, but I really wish they had made the GBC with the same body and screen size as the GBP
>>
>>4200836
I was never impressed by the GB. To me it looked extremely outdated when it came out (at this time I was only playing on the C64 and Amiga) and the sound was just horrible. To me it was even a step back from the older 8-bit systems like the Spectrum and certainly the C64. Yes, this indeed was a portable system. But on a technical level it was outperformed by the Atari Lynx and of course the GameGear (which was the first console I owned). But of course that came with a price, since the Gamegear ate batteries like no tomorrow.

I already mentioned the horrible sound. Many people are especially fond of the Gameboy Tetris, but I found it's music extremely repetitive and annoying (I was kinda spoiled by the audio of the C64). Gameplaywise the Mirrorsoft Tetris on the C64 was much more simplistic with it's lack of modes and challenge, but the music... the music was so much better than this vastly overrated Gameboy Tetris Tune(s).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny743c32gPg
>>
Need a quick opinion, /vr/iends, is 32,50 euro for a used Gameboy Color with 4 games (street fighter 2, dragon ball z and 2 random ones I dont care about) a fair deal? Its in the color I want and there is very little wear and tear on it.
>>
>>4201315
>the sound was just horrible
The sound architecture is basically the same as the NES, with some slight improvements.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the GBA sound architecture? GBA soundtracks have some pretty low-quality samples that might compare with a 96k MP3 file. And most of the time the music seems to be producing a hissing noise. I thought it was frankly worse than anything that came out of the last two generations.
>>
>it had so many great original games while advance just had inferior remakes of snes games
But most Game Boy games were shitty imitations of NES games.
>>
>>4201363
the samples are actually pretty high quality usually. it's the hardware that fucks it all up
>>
>>4200842
Battery live was very shot because just 2 AAA battery.
Speaker volume is very low because just 2 AAA battery too.
LCD screen have more motion blur then original GB.
GBP light change back to 2x AA battery but it have same problem with motion blur.
Every thing was fix on GBC.
>>
>>4201651

The GBP does have a lower rated battery life, but the difference is rather inconsequential. As for the other stuff, what?
>>
>>4201329
That's not a bad deal if it's in good condition and you want at least those 2 games. You can always get a bit of your money back selling the other 2 games.

What colour is it by the way?

Don't forget to check the screen to see if it's a replacement, and especially to see if it's a good replacement. I have seen some really, really bad ones.
The big give away is the spacing between the letters, where they overlap etc. Also the spacing on the "POWER" part next to the light is much bigger on replacement screens.
>>
>>4201651
I use eneloop batteries and found that I was getting around the same play time from both my GBP and GB

>>4201315
I can't believe I had never listened to the C64 tetris soundtrack before. This is beautiful.
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 259x194px
How has nobody mentioned the Neo Geo Pocket yet? Better games, better buttons, an amazing joystick, great battery life.
>>
File: eccoDSCF7589.jpg (214KB, 1001x751px) Image search: [Google]
eccoDSCF7589.jpg
214KB, 1001x751px
>>4200904
>Yeah, no. They had to be recharged frequently, and after an excessive number of charges, their total capacity began to diminish.

I still have a PSP I use regularly. It gets plenty of battery life and had it for years.
>>
>>4201096
PSP had a quite solid library.
>>
>>4201076

Okay, so going by that logic, 3DS is even better than PSP. On top of playing 3DS games, it can emulate PSP games, and play even more with the use of RetroArch. And considering Switch is well on its way to being hacked, it will be the best handheld ever because it will probably be able to emulate Vita games, along with 3DS, PSP, and any other.

You can see where this is going I'm sure.
>>
>>4202326
>You can see where this is going I'm sure.

Of course, you're exactly right about the progression. That's usually how things go.
>>
>>4202107
>Better games
It had 9 games before it was discontinued...
>>
File: 1492881028940.jpg (9KB, 171x211px) Image search: [Google]
1492881028940.jpg
9KB, 171x211px
>>4202326
>it can emulate PSP games

>>4200836
>am i just nostalgiablinded and GB also just had inferior versions of NES / Snes games
It had the DKC trilogy didn't it? Honestly the fact you think the GBA "just" had inferior remakes and conveniently forgetting the huge amount of original games it got means yes, you're blinded by nostalgia enough to lie to yourself.
>>
What good games did the gameboy actually have?

Off the top of my head
SML1&2,
Wario Land 1,2 & 3,
Links's Awakening
DK94
DKL
Game and Watch games
Pokemon
Castlevania 1,2 & 3
Double Dragon 1 & 2

What else?
>>
>>4202965
Dragon Warrior Monsters
>>
>>4202965
FF Legends, even though they are pretty brutal games in terms of difficulty.
>>
>>4203025
Lol they're easy as fuck. I beat ffl when I was 10.
>>
>>4202965
survival kids
harry potter
kirby
megaman 3-5
metroid
>>
>>4200946
The Mega Man GB games are great, except 2
>>
>>4200836
90% of gb games are literally downgraded nes games
>>
>>4204354

Basically this. I never wanted one growing up. I only got a gameboy color to play Pokemon Blue, and then returned it when I was done.
>>
Which Pokemon is the best one?
>>
>>4204392
The first two generations are best enjoyed as two parts of a whole. I think Gold and Silver are technically the better games, but you need the context of Red and Blue to fully appreciate what makes them great.
As for the other gens, they're not retro, and that discussion always goes to shit, anyway.
>>
>>4204392
Not retro, but HG/SS
>>
>>4204410
Yup
>>
>>4202265
When the fuck did you autists decide this was the thread to discuss the PSP on?
Take that shit to /v/. OP brings up the original gameboy and some asshole brings up a system that was made like 10 years later like its a surprise it performs better than the original gameboy. Fuck off
>>
>>4204620
Careful with that axe Eugene
>>
>>4204620
It was released 15 years later, which makes his whole argument even more ridiculous.
>>
>>4204620
>will it ever be topped?
This is the important part of the OP post.

The PSP topped it. Doesn't matter if it came out 10 years, or a hundred years later.
>>
>>4202107
This, best handheld out there
People talk about the Vita being ahead of its time but the NGP/NGPC (especially the Pocket Colour) was incredible advanced for 1998, it probably could've held its own during the GBA era if not for Pokémon.
>>
>>4202267
Only if you have a fetish for mediocre JRPGs.
>>
>>4200836
GBA had good original games.

>Megaman Zero series
>Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion
>Castlevania Circle of the Moon, and Aria of Sorrow
>Wario Land 4
>Advance Wars 1 and 2
>Mother
>Fucking
>3
>DemiKids
>Golden Sun
>Minish Cap
>>
>>4201672
Totally original piece. Apparently the only sign of use is an Up button that sometimes gets finnicky, but to be honest I mashed that shit when I was younger too so I guess it would feel a bit more authentic that way. It doesnt hamper gameplay noticeably.

It's dark purple. I think the guy had no idea about replacements and whatnot, so I'm not worried.
>>
>>4208345
I'd say go for it.

Replacement screen is only a real issue if you are fussy about that anyway. And I'd say only avoid ones where the writing is really fucked up. But if it's all original, then that's even better.

The purple ones are really nice, good choice.
>>
File: 601.jpg (51KB, 938x477px) Image search: [Google]
601.jpg
51KB, 938x477px
>>4201651
>Pocket LCD screen has more motion blur than original GB.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.