[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about the original Quake's aesthetic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
I keep trying to put in words why there is something special and very particular about that aesthetic, but I can't seem to manage to do it. I guess can describe how it's a combination of sci-fi, medieval, and Lovecraftian elements with a sort of air/wood/earth/metal elemental feel to it, but there's more to it than that.
What is it?
>>
It's the good ol' "I don't give a fuck, put everything in there, hopefully it'll work" philosophy
>>
The word you're looking for is "brown".
>>
>>4200202
the original grittybrown fps
>>
>>4200231 >>4200253
That was only one of its themes. There was also the blue metal/red lava theme, which is pretty cool. And a lot of stuff with wood and sludgy water. As far as user-made maps go... Steve Rescoe's "Shadow over Innsmouth" is a good example of wood and water. And there's other stuff with Egyptian-looking stone, like the great DM map "Ultraviolence".
>>
Trent Reznor's music also helped a LOT. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Quake was the first game to use a bonafide rock star to craft the music.

What was cool is, the Quake CD would also play on your home or car CD player. I know this sounds trite now, but in 1996, this was HUGE.
>>
>>4200263

Brown metal. Brown stone with some red lava sometimes. Brown wood, brown water.
>>
File: Dm4.png (258KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Dm4.png
258KB, 1024x768px
>>4200329
I also like joking about le original brown shooter xD, but to be fair, the occasional level with the blue stone/red lava aesthetic is rather nice and refreshing to look at. Wish they'd used that one more and less of the BROWN BRICKS and green water style.

(Yes, I know DM4 is a deathmatch map.)
>>
>>4200397
DM2 is nice looking as well. In my opinion Quake 2 has much better looking online maps but the big 5 duel maps for Quakeworld are king in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>4200303
>I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Quake was the first game to use a bonafide rock star to craft the music.
Descent 2 came out a couple months before Quake and had music from Type O Negative and members of Skuppy. Not as big as NIN was, but not too far off (especially depending on what kind of subcults you ran in at the time). I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to one-up you or anything, I loved both games and all the musicians in questions, it was a pretty awesome time to be an industrial fan into video games.

I'm willing to bet someone could find earlier examples too.
>>
>>4200303
>I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Quake was the first game to use a bonafide rock star to craft the music.
Moonwalker you fucking faggot
>>
>>4200303
>What was cool is, the Quake CD would also play on your home or car CD player
It wasn't because they were being clever, it's just how the technology worked at the time. If the game opts to use high quality music (opposed to raping the Quake ambience with 22khz shit quality), you would have a data side for the game files and a CD audio side to play lossless audio. Numerous PC and Playstation games did this. An example of a game doing something cool with this technology would be Ridge Racer, where the entire game is already loaded into memory allowing you can swap out the game disc for your own music.
>>
File: army-of-darkness-poster.jpg (261KB, 680x1014px) Image search: [Google]
army-of-darkness-poster.jpg
261KB, 680x1014px
Watch this film. Every 90s fps took from it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.