[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRT appreciation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: Lake and palmer.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
Lake and palmer.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
In the last few weeks, I have been advised that I am "old school" for using CRTs for anything other than boat anchors or heat sources. I was at the Thrift store the other day and saw this beauty. Only 1 svideo port. 2 inputs total. Flat glass looks great.....$15...I was in hog heaven. 20" pure gold.

I dusted off the box-o-fun and got out my psx and my xbox. I only have hd cables for the xbox, but would be using it for emulation of some of the systems.

Pic related is current activity.

>Emerson EWF2004

Waiting on Svideo for my PSX(s) and Xbox(s).

Future "plans" is a multi system s-video switch.

My wife gave me clearance to get whatever CRT I want, wherever I want....which would be close to the front door obviously.

I have a GDM Fw900 for the PC and it works great....but would it handle svideo input...If it did, I have my final solution.

What crt is making your evening better?
>>
Today? I watched my son play a little Sonic 3 on my 14m4u since he wanted to play Sonic in Lego Dimensions but he doesn't get that until he does his first full day of preschool ever next week.
>>
none of my local thrift stores have had any lately. I dont know if they just aren't getting many anymore or if they are doing something else with them.

Thats a good deal though. Nice anon.
>>
>>4199859
>14m4u
NICE!

I think that 14" though perfect would be too small...When wife gets tired of me collecting these things, I may have to cash it all in on a nice 14" 240p native.

This 20" seems large.....I think it provides the same 4:3 real estate as the gdm. I am "staycationing" this week. I figured now was as good as any to hide from the rain and play some of my hey-day vidya.

>>4199870
>none of my local thrift stores have had any lately.

It was really random that I found it...however, SINCE I was on vacation, I hit the local shops every day Until Wednesday, when I found this. They constantly and regularly push trinitrons with the matching stand......I am thinking about keeping a PSX in my trunk just for testing. I got lucky with this one....It NEEDS a remote to get to the 2 input channels, and thank god I found something close that works (android app). The replacement remote is coming in the mail.

All I can say is hit the same spots regularly. It is hunting. Right place/right time.
>>
I'm moving next week to California to live with my father while I look and apply for jobs in QA. I have a PVM 2530 that I've worked on periodically over the past 2 years.
Now I'll be able to bring all 10 of my vintage consoles to hook up to it in scart RGB. It's going to take a while for me to have it completely set up and ready. But when I do, I'll post pics of it in here.

http://imgur.com/a/dnUk1
>>
>>4199880
I have a 20m2mdu also but I haven't used it in a long time. Thinking about installing it in the Sente cabinet I'm converting to mame and moving the Sente's monitor into the SF2 cabinet who's CRT board I damaged moving the cab this week.
>>
>>4199740
>Emerson EWF2004
>Lake and palmer.jpg

i get it :^)
>>
File: 20170717_205118_HDR.jpg (2MB, 1200x2133px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_205118_HDR.jpg
2MB, 1200x2133px
>Future "plans" is a multi system s-video switch.
I like your style.

Tonight I'm toying with my mame "console". The goal is to build an RGB to YPbPr/Svideo/Composite converter into a cube computer running CRT Emudriver and my picture quality is 8/10 so far.

Does anyone here have recommendations for CRT friendly Ps1 emulators? I would love to find one that can swap between 240p and 480i just like the console (but without having to burn discs all the time).
>>
>>4199894
>10 of my vintage consoles to hook up to it in scart RGB.
I do enjoy the talk, but can we try to keep it rated pg. This is making me too hot and bothered....
>>4199898
>20m2mdu
>in the Sente cabinet
>meme
Though, not an "arcade" person, I helped a buddy re-build an arcade cabinent. We took a 32" trinitron totally apart, and ran svideo from a pc. The picture looks incredible. A 20" pro grade monitor is to die for. Good luck, and don't break anything else.
>>4199901
>i get it :^)
I always enjoy feedback on the "being cute" meter.
>>4199906
>I like your style.
AHHHHHHH NO NO NO!

The wires situation there would be grounds to begin drinking again. No no no.

It would be clean and tidy.

After doing a bit of early research, I have 2 options for "direct-to-tube" emulation. I have a heavily modded xbox, and on svideo should run Mame/snes/sega etc pretty spot on. My only reason would be to save on wires. I really need vast improvements in PSX emulation OR an integrated solid-state cd drive emulator to go mainstream. It is the only system I still have discs laying around for anymore. The downfalls of psx emulation are too great for me. I have used one of my 3 systems regularly over the past decade.....One is dead because of it. Finding replacement parts is getting tricky.
>>
>>4199925
>I have 2 options for "direct-to-tube" emulation.
The other option, was that I have a GTX260 on just about any motherboard has Svideo, and would work great with linux or even windows 2000+.
>>
>>4199740
I kid you not, I have this same exact television. It's a perfect companion for the PSX.
>>
File: 20170801_233521_HDR.jpg (2MB, 1820x1024px) Image search: [Google]
20170801_233521_HDR.jpg
2MB, 1820x1024px
>>4199925
But neither the Xbox nor S-video graphics cards can output 240p. Or at least the Xbox cant and most S Video cards can't. That's why I've been using CRT emudriver, but then I've got to pick between 240p or 480i. I haven't found any way of making my resolution change mid game like the pause menu in SoTN.
>>
>>4200021
>Xbox nor S-video graphics cards can output 240p.
My main desire is in retro "cartridge" until I get some hardware to compensate.

I was perfectly a-ok with 480i/p coming out of the xbox svideo...I saw this tidbit:
>ZsnesXbox 3.7 240p edition.

I don't know what kind of hacks are involved...but I am dusting off the xbox right now.
>>
>>4199740

Go to Craigslist and check the free section. there's bound to be at least one Trinitron being given away at any moment. don't settle for that shitty thing you've got. If you're getting a CRT these days then get a nice one at least.
>>
>>4200082
>Go to Craigslist and check the free section
There is a ton of them, and honestly this one has a great "look".

I am in no rush, because I know and see the free trinitrons. We are looking at moving this spring, and I don't want to get too committed now to something that weighs a few hundred pounds and does not drive to work.

My "Pc" monitor is a gdm fw 900. This as a "console" screen is actually quite crisp. I don't know if I got a low hours one, but the look is fantastic. I really cannot wait to get the svideo hooked up.

When I get a SD trinitron, it will be a big one.
>>
I got a superghetto setup. Some 14 inch CRT TV that I could put beside my monitor without taking much space if I wanted but has terrible focus, so shit looks sorta blurry. I'm not putting my hands on that shit though.

And then if I want to play PS1 games it's a mess because I have to do some disc swapping bullshit, and after roughly 20 minutes the PSTwo gets really really hot.
>>
File: 20170819_004728.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_004728.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Got my first pvm. I think i paid too much for it ($99) but it was local so i got to pick it up. Didnt want to over pay for poor packaging and have a pile of glass delivered.

Pvm 1344q
>>
>>4199740

I have 2 of these, but currently my main CRT is an Insignia that's from ~2008 i think. looks pretty much the same as far as picture quality goes.

One of my emersons, however, when turned on from any time being off, asks you to run through a short setup process, which is kind of annoying. Not sure if there is some small battery or capacitor in it that is supposed to hold settings or something, but it's a minor inconvenience at best.
>>
>>4200119
This is what i did. I waited until i saw a free trinitron on cl. It was a 20in flat with component and composite input. Got my feet wet for free and i like it. Ended up getting a pvm a month or 2 later
>>
>>4199906
>CRT friendly Ps1 emulators?
Mednafen. I don't know of any that do mode switching though. But you can set up an interlacing shader in retroarch that does the job whenever it flicks over to 480i
>>
>>4199740
I have that same one. Although mine has some weird display issue where some of the corners are warped. Nothing major though.
>>
>>4200963
13"....
really guy?
also how many CRT threads are up right now?
>>
>>4203672
Ya i like the semi portable form factor of it. The 20in trinitron was the upper limit in size and weight that i was looking for and the pvm is was at the bottom.

What the go to meme size that i was supposed to get??

I think theres one mega crt thread and this is the bastard one.
>>
>>4203672
nothing wrong with a 13" monitor
>>
>>4203672
>also how many CRT threads are up right now?
>>4204597
>I think theres one mega crt thread
I did not check all 10 pages and am "new" in this area of the chans. I migrated from another place (I dare not speak of) that /General/ threads were full in minutes. I should have lurked more.

This place has a nice flow. Future talk of what they best monitors are, and why they are CRT should certainly stick to the main thread (which, again I missed). This is my fault.

CRT general is here:

>>4183080
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.