[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Comps. Worth Buying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I've been collecting for years now, and I've noticed all these Midway Arcade compilations floating around.

>Already own Super Smash TV, Rampage for the NES, and Gauntlet for the NES as well.

Would it just be more afficant to buy the Midway and Namco collections? Or just get the ports of the games I really want?
>>
>>4199283
For collecting purposes, just get whatever you care about "owning" if that's your thing. Otherwise none of the above. save your money by not buying these oft-poorly emulated compilations and get yourself mame and some roms, and an arcade stick for extra fun points. Some of these compilations play well to be honest, but there's always someeeeeeething off about them, the sound, colors, brightness, screen cropped weird, the list goes on.

Get mame and an arcade stick and be happy, if you want to go even further get a pc crt monitor or even an arcade monitor.
>>
>>4199283
I liked the Taito Memories Japanese releases from a collector's standpoint. The materials booklets were fun.

I also recommend at least checking out Namco Museum on emulator or PSN - the exhibits are fun, and it's sad that something like that was never done on 3DS (well, aside from Sega 3D Ages to a degree).
>>
>>4199283
The controls on the Midway Arcade collections always felt a bit "off" to me. Personally, I say just take the ports, Pac-Man on the NES is just perfect. Same goes for Roadblasters on the Genesis.
>>
The SNK compilation is pretty much 10/10 perfection. Oh, but the SNES ports are pretty damn good too. Eh, just go for the ports Anon, the compositions feel a bit glitchy.
>>
>>4199283
some of them are fun, but some of them kind of crap the bed when it comes to emulation.
i like the ones where they add cheevos to the games
>>
I've bought Namco collections for every system I've owned since the PS1. Taito collections on PS2 were good too.

I like them even though you can emulate everything there's something to be said about having them collected for a console.
>>
>>4199283
Keep in mind that ports aren't ways accurate to the originals. Even games like PacMan, which look fine on NES or SNES aren't actually the same and things like the ghost monster patterns will be different than the arcade
>>
>>4200891
How did they change the ghost patterns for the ports? That seems pretty major.
>>
>>4199296
>Otherwise none of the above

Some compilations did have exclusive features and new or previously unreleased games. Sega Ages releases come to mind. Fantasy Zone Complete Collection includes a total remake of Fantasy Zone II using System-16 hardware specs.

Yes, some of these are absolutely worth owning.
>>
>>4200897
i stand corrected!
>>
>>4200891
this, they are not even the same games, don't be comparing your scores to the original arcade. The nes ports are fun but they are usually piss easy compared to the arcade. I can beat galaga on nes almost every time
>>
I own all three copies of Midway Arcade Treasures on the GameCube. Possibly the worst console to own them on due to the small D-pad.

First one is great. Second is god-tier. Third one sucks and should be avoided (few games and lack of variety - all racing games).

You probably could pick up each disc for roughly $10 on eBay. They're definitely worth it for the convenience, if you're looking for a physical copy. When I have friends over and boot up the Wii, we always have fun with the second compilation. Even if you only play each game for 15 minutes, you're set for a couple hours.
>>
>>4200897
>a total remake of Fantasy Zone II using System-16 hardware specs.
Which got re-released onto the 3DS twice. Once on its own, the other in another complilation with Power Drift and Puyo Puyo Tsu.
>>
>>4201215
Didn't the midway collections have plenty of bugs and audio issues?
>>
>>4202414
I didn't notice anything funky back in the day, but then again I didn't have the original arcade roms and most of the games I was only familiar with from the NES/SNES ports.

Mortal Kombat 3 can occasionally lag a bit, but honestly you would only know something is wrong with the rest of the games is if you did a side-by-side comparison or played the arcade originals for hundreds of hours.
>>
>>4199283
Get Midway Arcade Treasures, Namco Museum, or any of the countless Atari comps.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.