[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Legitimately great retro collections and compilations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 22

File: megamanxcol_ps2box_usa_org_000.jpg (96KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
megamanxcol_ps2box_usa_org_000.jpg
96KB, 350x500px
ITT: Legitimately great retro collections and compilations
>>
>No hadouken voice clip

literally unplayable trash
>>
>>
>>4199263
>No slight pause after Zero damages Viles ride armor
literally unplayable trash
>>
>>4199256

>MMX3 is the PSX version

and into the trash it goes
>>
>>4199256
>The gloriously cheesy dub of MMX4 was removed
Dont think so nerd
>>
>>4199356
Can anyone source this? I was about to buy MMX Collection
>>
>>4199256
>Shitty PSX port of MMX3
>No jp dub for X6
Nah.
>>
>>4199356
i wish.
they wanted to redub it with gatha and the guy who currently does zero, but they weren't able to.
>>
File: sonic-jam-cover.png (509KB, 387x649px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-jam-cover.png
509KB, 387x649px
>>4199331
>no 3&K
>>
>>4199374
It wasn't removed, it's literally the same as X4 on PS1
>>
>>4199353
>>4199376
What's so bad about X3 PS1?
>>
>>4199353
I thought it was the Saturn version.
>>
>>4199529
The music is (generally) much worse, and it doesn't run as smoothly as the SNES version, or even the Saturn version.
>>
File: 73340_front.jpg (229KB, 640x905px)
73340_front.jpg
229KB, 640x905px
Also anything by M2
>>
>>4199256
Wasn't this originally supposed to include remix versions of the games or something? I vaguely remember some talk about that back around when it came out, and the belief was that the idea was scrapped to not infringe on the Maverick Hunter PSP series which had the potential to remake all of the MMX games.
>>
>>
It was x6 where the voice work was temoved.

Also the ps1 version of x3 is ass. All it has are the anime cutscenes. The music is terrible and the sound effects are all different.
>>
File: IMG_1250.jpg (136KB, 800x1120px)
IMG_1250.jpg
136KB, 800x1120px
>>4199256
Contains 1-6 and X
>>
>>4199729
The PSP version of this is my favorite way to play the games. Native res looks great, has none of the censorship/lag issues, and it doesn't hurt that 7/XX is on the same system too. The only real downside is some loading between stages but it's not too bad.
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 355x500px)
image.jpg
89KB, 355x500px
>>4199256
>>
Far, far better than the Dreamcast/PSP mess.
>>
File: orochi saga.jpg (61KB, 353x500px)
orochi saga.jpg
61KB, 353x500px
>>4199729

I got the orochi collection and PS2 and I wish it was better but Im not sure if I just suck. I can't do special moves for shit
>>
>>4199729
Doesn't the PS2 collection have input lag? Or is that just the PS4 rerelease of it
>>
>>4199384
sonic jam kind of sucks
>maddeningly awful sound effects
>fucking slowdown despite running actual ports on a machine with at least a 5x more powerful CPU, particularly in Sonic 2
>slowdown isn't even based on what's happening on screen
>the camera in Sonic World is appalling since you can't see where you're going most of the time)

it's got neat shit (difficulty modes, Sonic World existing at all, time attack (which never returned until the Taxman ports), spindash in Sonic 1) but as for actually just playing Sonic 1-3&K, Mega Collection is better
>>
File: SK_level_select.png (3KB, 320x224px)
SK_level_select.png
3KB, 320x224px
>>4200067
What's so great about time attack when you could just use level select.
>>
Mario All-stars was good

>>4199729
Is this the best way to experience Metal Slug?
>>
>>4199823
I wonder how much of Dee was already finished before this game's release. I know they at least started on work on him while Savior was in development, but was it really a "almost done before deciding to scrap him, but we didn't include in the home versions with more memory" thing?
>>
>>4199729
nah.. PS2/Wii version suck ass, on the other hand on PSP is fucking great
>>
>>4200112
There is an interview from the time of Savior's release (either the Gamest mook or All About Vampire Savior, can't recall which offhand) where Funamizu rather clearly says "We had planned to put Donovan in as a Demitri headswap, and he was almost finished." So it does indeed sound like they just managed to dig up that old data a decade later, do whatever little finishing touches were needed, and put him in as a bonus.
>>
>>4199529
Music is a downgrade, they tried to go flull QSOUND RANGE! but it doesn't fit the mood of the game
Intro stage uses a short avi where it wasn't needed, and a few other CD oddities that I forget
>>
>>4200103
the game saving times for you

also, apart from S1, it takes an annoyingly long time to input the level select in S2 (easy to remember, still takes more than like five seconds to input) or S3&K (the S3 alone code is particularly obnoxious to do, and the S&K/S3&K code requires you to go into the game, climb on the vine/pulley and input it)
S3C fixes that last problem (but isn't "official", not that it matters) so it's just S2 that's kind of annoying to time attack without an actual time attack feature.
>>
I would call it more of a sampler of Pinball Arcade, but hey you could get it on multiple platforms for 10 bucks or less, so I'd say its worth it if you don't wanna bother buying packs or individual tables from Pinball Arcade. There's also a Gottlieb Collection.
>>
>>4200067
>maddeningly awful sound effects
? source? I didn't find' any of the sound effects to be "maddeningly" awful.
>>fucking slowdown despite running actual ports on a machine with at least a 5x more powerful CPU, particularly in Sonic 2
Actually, just in Sonic 2. If you can find evidence of slowdown on Sonic 1, 3 or K, post source. Also, the original Sonic 2 also has slowdowns, but yeah, Sonic Jam has more of it. Still playable.
>slowdown isn't even based on what's happening on screen
Just like in original Sonic 2. Who knows why it happens, blast processing wasn't enough.
>>the camera in Sonic World is appalling since you can't see where you're going most of the time)
Oh man, you never found out you could change the camera with X, Y and Z, and rotate it with L and R? Really?
>but as for actually just playing Sonic 1-3&K, Mega Collection is better
I dunno, Mega Collection is just emulation, and Saturn pad is better than PS2/GC pads. I'll give you the Sonic 2 slowdown issue, but nothing else.
Sonic Jam is a great compilation, better than any of the emulated ones. I'd say if you're gonna play Sonic on compilations, go for Jam. Otherwise just stick to the originals.
The time trial mode alone makes Sonic Jam worth for me.
>>
File: msonic.gif (7KB, 366x209px)
msonic.gif
7KB, 366x209px
>>4200541
mate, nothing you said is right
like, nothing

>? source? I didn't find' any of the sound effects to be "maddeningly" awful.
the ring sound effect is totally fucked in particular (dumb shit: the game uses a ring sound that isn't shit when in Sonic World, but not in the ports), if you can't hear that, your hears are broken, and all of the sound effects are resampled into fairly low quality in general
the biggest exceptions are the boss hit sound (which is meatier and fairly satisfying in Jam, kind of sounds like it had some post processing done) and the signpost noise (which sounds correct, nearly every emulated version of the game fucks this up)
the sound of boss explosions is completely fucked though

>Actually, just in Sonic 2. If you can find evidence of slowdown on Sonic 1, 3 or K, post source
it's extremely prevalent in S2 more than the rest, but Sonic 1 and 3 still dip at random
>Just like in original Sonic 2. Who knows why it happens, blast processing wasn't enough.
slowdown only really happens in each on the original machine in two situations: water is on screen (like at all), or when you lose a huge bunch of rings all three games, it's not inconsistent
oh, and when you have invincibility in Sonic 1

>Oh man, you never found out you could change the camera with X, Y and Z, and rotate it with L and R? Really?
is there a reason you're implying I'm as retarded as you clearly are
the Sonic world camera has two options, fixed high (pans down to view the player, freely rotatable) and free (which 90% of the time, still pans down to view the player, except in one small corner of the map where it does aim forward, and it rotates as it will whenever you move around, but it's also controllable with L+R)
fixed high is useful, but doesn't let you see where you're going
free should be useful, but because of the awful camera hinting, doesn't let you see where you're going
x doesn't change the camera at all
y changes it to fixed high
z changes it to free
>>
>>4200609
Okay you win, I don't reach such levels of caring. I honestly didn't notice the sound issues, I don't think my ears are broken, but have in mind I'm playing through a mono speaker on a shitty old CRT. So I don't care a lot about sound quality as long as it's audible, that's how I played Sonic back in the day anyway, I didn't notice any significant changes in the sound, except for the invincibility/speedshoes music having to load from the CD instead of being dynamic like on the original cart, but that still doesn't bother me as much, although it's not ideal. If it fixes sounds that are fucked up on emulators then that's good.
I really didn't notice any random dips on 1 and 3/K, they must be very minimal if any.
As for the Sonic World camera, yeah I meant the fixed high position and moving L and R. That's useful enough and there's not much to do in there anyway, I could complete all the missions without much trouble. Yeah it's not a perfect camera system and I agree the free camera is useless, but that kind of shit was normal back in the early 5th gen days.
I still hold onto my position of claiming Jam is a compilation worth playing for the content, layout (very satisfying to switch through 3D modeled carts and locking them on) and most importantly the extra features, namely the time trials. Also the inaccuracies in sound or extra slowdown on Sonic 2 can be forgiven when having into consideration they actually ported the games to the Saturn hard, even if the Saturn is more powerful, that doesn't mean it's retro-compatible. At least they managed to cram new stuff like the new difficulty modes that change level layout around or the spindash on Sonic 1. There isn't anything majorly fucked up on Sonic Jam to disregard it, maybe you'd rather play Sonic 2 elsewhere if you really hate slowdowns (but you'll get slowdowns on the original too anyway), but for 1, 3 and S&K, it does its job. It's still the only Sonic compilation I consider worth having.
>>
>>4199729
Does MS3 in that collection have the extras from the Xbox version?
>>
>>4200116

Why does the ps2 version suck? Aren't they all the same?
>>
>>4199835
I have it on the Wii and it runs fine.
>>
I thought this one was quite good, had lots of fun with it when I had my GBA.
Heck, Pacman Arrangement must've been the most fun I ever had with Pacman.
>>
>>4200609
>it's extremely prevalent in S2 more than the rest, but Sonic 1 and 3 still dip at random

Those happened in the original console too. Lose any rings in Mystic Cave and you can enjoy the slowdown.

Sonic Jam is trash regardless.
>>
>no Namco museum
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>4201118
>Pacman Arrangement
Also wish they kept making pac-man games in this style, the boss fight at the end was a lot of fun, none of the later pac-man games seem as neat and finished as this.
>>
>>4201118
>Pac-Man
>Not the objectively better Pac-Guy

Smfh famalam
>>
File: 2.jpg (3MB, 1477x2048px)
2.jpg
3MB, 1477x2048px
>>4199256
>>
>>4201193
What's so great about this?
>>
>>4201246
Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
Kirby's Adventure (NES)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Game Boy)
Kirby Super Star (SNES)
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Nintendo 64)
>>
>>4201320
>shitty n64 emulation
>no kirby's nightmare in dreamland
>no kirby am with local multiplayer support (no input lag)
>>
File: 18728_front.jpg (122KB, 640x908px)
18728_front.jpg
122KB, 640x908px
>>4199331
>>4199384
I see your compilations and raise you this one.

...and not the Plus one either, that one felt much more generic.
>>
>>4201359
poorly emulated.
>>
>>4199384
This is the best Sonic one.
>>
>>4201370
Better than how Jam treated the emulations.
>>
>>4200852
>Okay you win, I don't reach such levels of caring
You sound like a angry lil bitch who just got BTFO out.
>>
Megaman Collection and Sonic Mega Collection+ are the best collection games
>>
File: IMG_0291.png (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0291.png
17KB, 320x320px
>>4201171
>>
>>4199729

They still try to sell the games individually when this exists. Guess they are tying to get cash from those that aren't aware you can get every game, most likely for a lower price as well.
>>
>>4201462

Fucking Capcom.
>>
>>4199729
>PS2 version
Fuck off.
>>
>>4201358
>>shitty n64 emulation
I'm like 99% sure it's the same as the VC version which is flawless.
>>
>>4201673
Weak bait
>>
>>4201673
Not him
but N64 VC is not flawless, they're just significantly better than pc emulators.
They get rid of some graphical features and effects to make them work without any hiccups

I played Kirby 64 on Dolphin's VC and it seemed fine.
>>
>>4201639
Different porting entirely
>>
Taito Memories
>>
>>4201462

the Gamecube Megaman Anniversary Collection is garbage. They screwed up and reversed the shooting and jumping buttons and no option to change it. It makes the games near unplayable. Playing classic Megaman on the gamecube controller is already awful enough. Stick to the PS2 version.
>>
>>4201449
Not really, I understand that there might be sound differences in the quality of the sound if you're using a hi-fidelity sound system. I personally didn't notice a difference at all with the original games in terms of sound quality.
>>
>>4201370
the emulation in Mega Collection, although not ideal (sound is off, but not nearly as bad as most attempts -- even M2's 3DS ports get it wrong), is still pretty good for each of the games included

>>4200852
>even if the Saturn is more powerful, that doesn't mean it's retro-compatible
the low fidelity of the sound is almost forgivable, the weird inaccuracies of it aren't (no really, why not just go into the sound test and record each sound one by one, shit's no effort and would have lead to a perfectly fine solution, why is the ring sound so weird, why is the jump sound not a smooth pitch slide, what the living fuck happened to the rolling sound)
it's hard to have some of these be terribly accurate at a low sample rate, but they'd be wrong in entirely different ways than they are

the slowdown is still totally unforgivable, particularly since it's a true port and not emulation, and the game doesn't tax the hardware in the slightest (as "slow" as VDP1 is, it can still push all the sprites the Genesis can and more, and VDP2 can do everything the Genesis VDP can do with ease, the CPU is blindingly fast compared to the 68k, etc, etc)
I do remember hearing something dumb that the porting process was a relatively 1:1 conversion from 68000 asm to SH-2 asm, which might explain things a bit.

it's got neat extras, but I'll be damned if I'd recommend it to anyone as a means to actually play Sonic over basically any of the other versions, unless they really, really want to do time trial (still mad that Taxman 1 and 2 are mobile only, and CD has always had time trial) or want to play in easy mode

>>4201139
>Lose any rings in Mystic Cave and you can enjoy the slowdown.
and I addressed that mate, read
>or when you lose a huge bunch of rings

>>4201679
the missing graphical features in 64 VC games look like playing on Project 64 with an old D3D plugin lol

>>4202228
>high quality sound system
mate, I can hear the difference on the speakers on my cheap-ass TV
>>
>>4202234
>mate, I can hear the difference on the speakers on my cheap-ass TV
I guess I didn't pay enough attention, but I really didn't notice any.
And I can notice the different jump sound in Sonic CD (that one is too loud), compared to the other Genesis games. But in Jam, to me they sound like on the original.
I was just checking some sites to see what they say about the sound, and for example Sonic Retro mentions the sound effects are actually enhanced. On another review someone said the sound effects are for the most part better than the originals, but some of them sound abrasive.
So I dunno, I don't think the sound issue on Jam is really that big, and it seems it also has its pros.
At any rate, I do recommend people Sonic Jam, it's a good way to play the classics, except maybe for Sonic 2.
>>
>>4199331
I know this one isn't perfect emulation, but it's got a great selection. Really easy to get the family to play some Golden Axe or Streets of rage
>>
>>4199629
Fucking this.

And Pocket Fighters was a great bonus.
>>
>>4202402
and the wife too, huh?
>>
>>4200052
I haven't noticed any. On actual PS2 hardware. Don't know about PSN release tho.
>>
>>4201097
>I have it on the Wii and it runs fine.

well it's less about how it RUNS and more about how it controls
>>
>>4201118
Loved this one too, and it was dirt cheap when new $9. I sunk a lot of time into this compilation.
>>
>>4202526
Oh yea, she loves it!
>>
>>4199356

X4's dub wasn't removed. What the fuck are you talking about? The only thing that was removed was X6's japanese voice overs.

>>4199380

All the games with voice acting were going to be redubbed in the collection but Inafune said no because he wanted to save the shit for the Maverick Hunter X series along with a bunch of other features that were cut in favor of shoving it into MHX.

I sure love playing Maverick Hunter X 4.
>>
>>4199529

Nothing. SNES X3 sounded like ass with the god awful samples they used for all the instrumentation. PS1/Saturn releases made it bearable.
>>
>>4201462

This collection sucked ass too. They took the Complete Works ports from Japan and butchered them for a US release. All the cool extras are fucking gone and they didn't bother to fix some of the audio issues in the original Complete Works releases (Mega Man 4's sound balancing is fucking dreadful).

Mega Man 7's poorly emulated and Mega Man 8 is just the PS1 version. The only thing good about it is the inclusion of the 2 arcade games.
>>
File: 1486826813700.jpg (14KB, 422x241px)
1486826813700.jpg
14KB, 422x241px
>>
>>4201359
>...and not the Plus one either, that one felt much more generic.
How so?
>>
What's the best Mega Man collection atm?
>>
>>4199256
Anniversary collection for the original series is much better
>>
>>
>>4199760
>>4200116

I was just playing the PSP version, I dont detect any imput lag but is the slowndown an intentional part of the games or what? or is it just the port? does this happen if you just MAME them?
>>
>>4200852

>Okay you win, I don't reach such levels of caring.

Haha fuck off. If that's the kind of argument you're bringing to the table just don't get involved in the discussion. Also get a stereo CRT for fucks sake, mono is garbage.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.