[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forget games, should I be hording hardware instead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: neogeo.jpg (64KB, 1024x768px)
neogeo.jpg
64KB, 1024x768px
Forget games, should I be hording hardware instead?
>>
Idgaf
>>
>>4198405
For that system, the games *are* hardware.
>>
>>4198405
Do you only hoard disc based games? Else you're going to hard hardware anyways.
>>
>>4198519
Maybe he's talking about tapes?
>>
File: MetalJesus.jpg (472KB, 1600x900px)
MetalJesus.jpg
472KB, 1600x900px
>Godmode
Owns Optical Drive Emulators and Flash on actual hardware (fast, cutting edge, clean, practical and space efficient)
>Hobbyist
Buys the few games they enjoy most or the game that are most nostalgic to them
Burns CD and buys multicarts/repro to play on actual hardware
>Amateur
Emulates with the appropriate controller adapters and resolution
>Wife's Son
Reproduction hardware (NES Mini, SNES Mini)
Emulates his games with a WiiMote or a Gamecube controller at 1080p (probably sold all his consoles for his wife)
>Metal Jesus
Hoards thousands dollar worth of overvalued "genuine" CDs and plastic boxes just to brag to your friends
>>
>>4198405
whos the clumsy fuck who is buying and selling all the Neo Geos? i swear most of them are damaged in some way or straight up shattered on ebay.
>>
File: jttmpt24.jpg (118KB, 858x450px)
jttmpt24.jpg
118KB, 858x450px
>>4198606
It's ISIS.
>>
>>4198405
that's what I do. With flash carts and optical drive emulators becoming cheaper and more mass-produced, hardware is the thing you'll need more of. I mean, I probably don't need the 6 Famicoms I have but whatever, they're cheap right now.
>>
>>4198608
ok they have gone too far
>>
>>4198608
at least the CD units are generally in good shape and the games affordable vs the AES insanity.

plus if the loading times bother you it looks like the polymega thing is putting a fairly big focus on neo geo cd support.
>>
>>4198603
Are there any games in there that he's actually played?
>>
Buy hardware and flash carts for systems that cant be emulated perfectly, like the neo geo. dreamcast.. some atari stuff, n64, atomiswave.. a few.
>>
>>4198405
Yes, there will ALWAYS be a way to play games on the hardware, be it repros or burned discs or flashcarts. And then there will always be ways to play the game on other hardware.
But there is only one way to play original hardware, and it will never be able to be reproduced.
Besides that, consoles will die before their games, from lasers to caps to disc drives to pin connectors. The only way to save them is repair, but people are so likely to never do it that they'll inevitably be trashed, dropping the supply.
Personally, I've only bought hardware for the last few years, I own 5 consoles with libraries of under 5 games.
>>
>>4198925
Which consoles?
>>
>>4198603
Is there a decent Dis Drive emulator for the PS1? I'm tired of burning discs for it.
>>
>>4198925
>from caps to disc drives to pin connectors

All replaceable.

For instance, with FreeMCboot you can completely bypass your ps2's disc drive and just load games via usb.

Cap replacement is a joke for anyone not retarded.

Emulation is also good enough for most of the consoles, except N64 which is still notoriously shit.

So quit being some kind of nihilistic boogeyman.
>>
>>4198896
Why play games when all his friends can just tell him about it.

>>4198405
Think getting hardware first is more important than getting games at the moment imo. Almost every system has a way to play games either by flash cart, modchip, or zero copy right protection. Hell, even the Atari Jaguar is getting a flash cart sometime this year or next. Sure, you won't be playing the "original game cart" but why waste so much when a flash cart/etc can do that for much less?
>>
>>4198405
I really want this, is the only console I am missing for my collection of non-disc based consoles
>>
File: 135915913458.jpg (51KB, 720x951px)
135915913458.jpg
51KB, 720x951px
>>4198910
>neo geo
>cant be emulated perfectly
>>
>>4198603
I know it's not retro, but what's that game on top of Patapon?
>>
>>4198603
>Turbo Godmode
Buying poorly emulated arcade games or undumped games
>>
>>4198896
no he's a huge fag.
>>
>>4199481
>Emulation is good enough
I feel you are missing the point. The point is not to just run the software, but to run it as accurately as possible. Most systems n64 or up do not have cycle accurate emulators. You still need a real console to play it accurately.
>>
>>4198405
>Forget games, should I be hording hardware instead?
I am going through this right now. With the advent of all these SD to cartridge formats, the hardware is where it is at for 100% perfect playback. The data is irrelevant, the output is key. I just got done cataloging my "collection".....Loads of Xbox & Psx...not enough n64/snes.

I am waiting for the PSIO to be nonbeta as a complete product. As I get my systems dusted off and running again, I think having backups is a good idea. Emulators are good, but nothing beats the real thing.
>>
>>4198405
Who ever did this should he hanged
>>
>>4198603
>Optical Drive Emulators
enjoy your shit compatibility while my mountain of CD/DVDs becomes higher. My wife says when my disc fortresses extends into the kitchen she'll give me enough GBPs for a retron 5.
>>
>>4198957
Cybdyn PSIO
>>
>>4198603
HIDDEN R@RE APPLE IOS iPHONE GEMS!
>>
>buy hardware
>permanently solder various modifications and flash drives to them
>resell to idiots
>>
>>4198957
Ps-io or just get a psp go instead.
>>
>>4199481
>replacement is a joke for anyone not retarded.
People toss out non-working video game systems every day. Right now it is cheaper to buy a used system than to pay to have it repaired. Give it a few years, and you may see a shift.

>>4199481
>Emulation is also good enough for most of the consoles
I disagree. The only reason I have a pile of PSX is because I have tired many combinations of hardware in a pc to try and get any psx emulator to work flawlessly. I could not get it acceptable. I would rather have video/audio output by native system in this case.

There are less issues with cartridge based systems.....I am not abject to using SD-carts. However, I still am a purist about hardware output.

This is a mix of nostalgia, and perfectionism on my end. I grew up with a HUGE 19" color television. We had an atari, but eventually we got an NES.

Nothing beats the real thing.

I am using an xbox to emulate snes. I am going to be using my red wii because I like the controllers better for retro-snes.
>>
>>4198603
I think and hope that flash carts and drive emulators will ultimately be replaced by devices that load games over wifi/ethernet so I can just keep all my roms in one centralized location and not have to be updating SD cards.
>>
>>4204023
I seriously don't know why they don't do this. All the shit needed to add wifi costs maybe $2. If the cost is the issue make it an optional extra and charge for it. Anyone who makes homebrew will pay because fucking swapping SD cards every time you need to test on hardware. I'm sure others would pay just for the convenience.
I've been loading games off ethernet since early 2000's and off parallel since early 90's. When will jesus krikzz let me load a rom directly from my computer like the 25 year old chink copiers I still use because they have parallel ports?
>>
>>4198952
Xbox, PS1, N64, Saturn, Genesis, NES, SNES and Dreamcast.
>>
>>4199685
I know I'm days late at this point, but if you're still curious, it's ちょっとショットEDIT (Chotto Shotto EDIT), a piece of software that came with the PSP's camera peripheral.
>>
>>4204296
I'm surprised the thread didn't die before I got an answer. Thought my comment was lost.

Thanks, buddy!
>>
>>4204261
What lets you load from ethernet? Only consoles I'm aware of that can do that are PS2 and Dreamcast, and I'm not sure if DC can do it with full disc images or just .elf files.
>>
>>4204652
You can do it with the GC as well. If the xbox didn't have native HDD support someone might have been assed to bother with that as well.
>>
>>4201886
You just sound like a massive hipster twat desu, i doubt side by side you could even spot the difference.
>>
>>4198896
Have you seen his hidden gem videos? You can get a better description of a game from just reading off the back of the box.
>>
>>4198603
I play on a raspberry pi with an ibuffalo controller with integer scaling at 720p. Where do I fall on this line?
>>
>>4198603
Kek
Metal Jesus is Godmode you are KEKMODE FAGGOT
>>
>>4205667
Wifes son
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.