[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the greatest videogame magazine ever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: ODM-001.jpg (786KB, 850x1148px) Image search: [Google]
ODM-001.jpg
786KB, 850x1148px
And why is it the Official Dreamcast Magazine (UK)?
>>
File: .._magazines_vidiot_vidiot[1].jpg (89KB, 228x319px) Image search: [Google]
.._magazines_vidiot_vidiot[1].jpg
89KB, 228x319px
By practically any objective criteria, EGM but many more specialized magazines had their own particular strong appeal
>>
File: Capture.jpg (117KB, 908x613px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
117KB, 908x613px
Sega Force was good for the edgy animu illustrations.
C&VG was good in the mid-late nineties when they were pretty much the only magazine who still gave a shit about Saturn, Jap imports, and the arcade scene.
>>
I liked PC Gamer as a kid. Awesome demo disks and coverage of upcoming games.
>>
Famitsu
>>
>>4196684
PC gamer was probably the reason Playstation decided to include demos (which turned out to be an amazing idea)

So, by proxy, PC gamer is the greatest magazine ever.
>>
File: 111.jpg (208KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
208KB, 500x666px
I loved Game Players magazine.

You could tell the writers really understood games. They were huge fans of the Sega Saturn when it started to get great games like Virtua Fighter 2. I remember them really pulling for Saturn because of the depth in the AM2 fighting games compared to the flashy/shallow PS1 games like Toshinden 2.

The sense of humor in the magazine was great with Bill's crazy rants and the infamous Cosmic Race 0% score label that was a mystery until they reviewed it in their last GP magazine in August 1996.

When it changed over to ULTRA Game Players in September of 1996, it lost all of its charm. It wasn't as fun and had nothing unique compared to the 20 other magazines at the time.
>>
File: 1488522553816.jpg (592KB, 1999x1499px) Image search: [Google]
1488522553816.jpg
592KB, 1999x1499px
It's Amiga Power Magazine (UK)
>>
Did UK get all the good magazines?
>>
>>4200735
Definitely
>>
I used to like CVG (Computer & Video Games) in the UK in the mid 90s. Because I am a Sega fag and CVG, though a multiplatform magazine, was quite pro-Sega, in stark contrast to almost every other multiformat magazine of the time (especially fucking EDGE) which were so up Sony's arse they could see out of it's mouth.
>>
File: commodore-format-magazine-22.jpg (16KB, 180x245px) Image search: [Google]
commodore-format-magazine-22.jpg
16KB, 180x245px
>>4200735
America had no industry, it just took whatever Japan shit in it's mouth. The UK had access to the huge UK industry and it's home design potential. Commodore magazines used to include a full page of code to copy to make a game for yourself.

It's pretty sad that the UK had the best games industry in history and then sold it all out to go to America with a larger market, larger budget but absolutely no reactive freedom.
>>
>>4203453
>bait this bad
>>
>buy EGM

>literally hundreds of pages of reviews, ads, cheats, maps and whatnot

Gave me something to read for a whole month, every time
>>
File: top zoz.jpg (33KB, 354x258px) Image search: [Google]
top zoz.jpg
33KB, 354x258px
Computer Entertainer was pretty great, they were the first mag to have the balls to call out Nintendo on their artificial scarcity bullshit
>>
>>4203402
>a full page of code
Only one full page? It seemed like American mags like RUN and Compute's Gazette had nearly 20% of their pages devoted to type-in programs. I remember how the hours I spent typing in Crossroads 2: Pandemonium and its accompanying level editor felt totally worth it when I was done, that game was the tits.

Of course those hours later felt like a waste when I bought the Compute's Gazette best games disk through mail order, which included Crossroads 2.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.