[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The great debate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: re3.gif (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
re3.gif
86KB, 600x600px
The great debate
>>
>>4193418

3. It continued the flow of the previous two games and caps out the Raccoon City with a sense of finality. CV is fun and all but it's retarded even for RE standards, and is responsible for introducing a lot the elements that did the series in while actually undoing already resolved plot points and turning Wesker into a super villain when he was just a greedy asshole who got his way back in 1 was retarded

It's neither really a debate or all that great
>>
>>4193419
>i don't like CV so isn't the real 3
Great opinion

Too bad Nemesis feels like a (shitty) side story
>>
>>4193424
This. Resident Evil 3 was my first Playstation game, but Resident Evil 2 was played first on my N64.

When I think of Resident Evil, the good and classic design, I think of games with two playable characters that slightly alter the story. Chris/Jill for RE1, Leon/Claire for RE2 and Chris/Claire for Code Veronica

The bad and cheap Resident Evils always skimped out on this, like Survivor, Dead Aim and yes, RE3.
>>
>>4193424
>>i don't like CV so isn't the real 3

That's not even a sentence and not what I said.

>Too bad Nemesis feels like a (shitty) side story

You mean aside from feature the destruction of the series primary setting in such a way that Umbrella couldn't possibly recover? All CV did was bring in plot elements that only raised questions that didn't need to be asked in the first place.

>When I think of Resident Evil, the good and classic design, I think of games with two playable characters that slightly alter the story. Chris/Jill for RE1, Leon/Claire for RE2 and Chris/Claire for Code Veronica

That's completely idiotic and more to the point CV didn't even have two playable characters the same way 1 and 2 did. It had one overly long campaign where you switched to Chris halfway through which only really served to undermine Claire's presence as protagonist.

> Dead Aim and yes, RE3.

Which had Fong Ling and Carlos respectively and if you count mercenaries mode, Nikolai, Mikhail

Multiple playable characters is nice and all but it's all moot if they're not put to proper use and in CV they weren't.
>>
@4193418
The Great Stupidity
>>
>>4193418

>who
>>
>>4193443
>Chris/Claire for Code Veronica
But they're not two different campaigns
>>
>>4193418
>Who is the real Resident Evil 3?

Oh I don't know, could it possibly be the game that is literally called RESIDENT EVIL 3? What a fucking stupid question.
>>
>>4193418
Resident Evil Code Veronica X is more like the real Resident Evil 4.
>>
>>4193418
I didn't know this was an actual debate. Anyway, the debate is settled because one game says Resident Evil 3 on the cover?
>>
>>4193418
the one with 3 in the title
>>
>>4193418
The real 3 wasn't even Nemesis or CV..

The real 3 was chopped and changed so many times we actually got DMC and 4 from it.

Nemesis was always a side story campaign.
CV was always a Sega exclusive.
3 started off as a Hideki game idea set on a boat with an outbreak, scrapped for the new hardware(ps2), made into an action heavy game which turned into DMC(Mikami thought is wasnt RE enough) then as 3 was already numbered Mikami made 4.
>>
>>4193814
>>4193796

I've heard people actually refer to Code Veronica as the real sequel to RE2. I think it has to do with storyline.
>>
>>4193859
Doesn't RE:3 technically start before RE:2?
>>
>>4193873

If I'm not mistaken yeah I think it's like 24 hours before RE2 or something.
>>
>>4193494
Try harder, fag.
>>
CV is the weakest classic RE besides 0 and it introduced a lot of stupid shit to the plot.
>>
>>4193873
RE3 starts a couple of days before 2, Jill then goes into a coma for a few days and wakes up after 2 is finished with Leon, Claire and Sherry already escaping.
>>
>>4193956
>RE3 starts a couple of days before 2, Jill then goes into a coma for a few days and wakes up after 2
classic re3 pleb filter
the dates are fucking spelled out by Jill, diary style, fucking plebs cant help but kek
>>
>>4193419
/thread
>>
>>4193814
>>4193796
Nemesis was never meant to be RE3, it was always developed as a side story, CV on the other hand was developed and thought by the creators as a real sequel to RE2, this is very evident story-wise to anyone that has played both.

The reason why it ended as it is now was purely because of marketing reasons. Nemesis released first and on the original console of the other two games, so it made more sense to give it the number 3 to make it a trilogy and cap off PSX RE development nicely, on the other hand, CV released on a different console much later and didn't get a number so the original PSX fanbase thought of it as a side story and didn't feel left out.
>>
nesfag in 3...2...1...
>>
>>4193859
>>4193964
Didn't consider these points at all. A debate it is then
>>
>>4193418
Who knows really? RE3 is kind of like a lost Neil Young album, there are ideas and some things just clicked. I'd say Code Veronica feels more true to what was in mind for RE3. Granted, I still love RE3.
>>
when we have a current gen REmake of RE3:Nemesis, times will be good again.
>>
To me both 3 and CV felt like side games.

RE 3 because it's just another story in Raccoon City, only Jill as playable, didn't advanced the story.

CV because it didn't feature new playable characters and released exclusively on dreamcast, didn't have pre-rendered backgrounds and it wasn't named "4".

I realize both are retarded reasons but those were my thoughts.
>>
>>4195642
>didn't advanced the story.

I think the big problem is that you have the idea that story needs advancing at all. This is a series of HORROR games not an ongoing epic saga. The only thing the story needs to do is provide justification for the horror.

The series was never supposed to be about STOPPING UMBRELLA like they where goddamn Cobra. Umbrella was just fluff. A group of assholes who got greedy did a bad thing and suffered by their own creation.

1 set up the mansion with the virus
2 had the virus spread to the nearby city
3 saw the destruction of the city proper and one of the original heroes escape

There's not a story to develop beyond solving the mystery and the mansion and finding a way out in the others. It's about the escape not the saga and focusing on an ongoing narrative is part of what doomed the series because it just doesn't have the legs for it
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (64KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
64KB, 1920x1080px
>>4195672
>The series was never supposed to be about STOPPING UMBRELLA like they where goddamn Cobra.

"Hey, it's up to us to take out Umbrella."
>>
>>4195672
>>4195692
>"Hey, it's up to us to take out Umbrella."
If you read Kamiya's interviews, he actually had that line ad-libbed during voice recording and it got him into trouble with the game's writer, since it forced him to rewrite the storyline for the next game being planned at the time. I'll look up the interview and post it here.
>>
>>4193418
The one called Resident Evil 3.
>>
File: pajamafeel.jpg (27KB, 511x428px) Image search: [Google]
pajamafeel.jpg
27KB, 511x428px
>not appreciating RE3 for being the RE with the tightest and richest gameplay to date, its gorgeous visuals, little random scripted stuff and Nemesis who is a challenge even on subsequent replays
>not appreciating CV for having that unique dreamcast charm, for being the last true classic RE at its core, for the best save theme in the series and the best Chris model
>>
>>4193418
They're both pretty mediocre. RE3 should've just been Jill, Chris and Barry actually taking down Umbrella in Paris, not some the weird sidequel it ended up being.
>>
>>4195817
Better deliver, anon, because that sounds like some bullshit.
>>
>>4195938
not like it matters, the line is there, changes nothing
>>
>>4195938
>>4195947
Closest source I could find. It's in Japanese, but basically he says the line was added without permission from the producers.
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/28374408494059520
>>
>>4195965
It makes sense. Always hated that fucking line and the odd fitting rock tune that follows it.
>>
>>4195932
>Jill, Chris and Barry actually taking down Umbrella in Paris

That's retarded. Umbrella took themselves down. If they're going to take anyone down it should be via litigation and presenting the truth of their actions to the world. I can't stress this enough but Umbrella is not Cobra
>>
>>4196016
>I can't stress this enough but Umbrella is not Cobra
Maybe that was not the original intention in RE1, but they gave them too much special force units throughout the sequels (the USS in RE2, UBCS in RE3, the Cleaners in Gun Survivor). They even have a military training facility in RECV.
>>
>>4193418
If your only claim to CV being the 'true RE3' is that it's a more direct continuation of RE2's plot, than you must also not consider RE2 to be the 'real RE2' in the first place, as it had almost nothing to do with the original.

If we're numbering them based on plot rather than release order...

>RE3 should be RE2
>RE2 should be a side story, let's call it RE:Mutation for lack of a better title
>CV should be RE:M2
>>
>>4196560
But RECV brings back Chris Redfield and Albert Wesker.
>>
>>4196569
In which case RE2 is still the odd one out. So maybe the debate should be "What's the real RE2? RE2 or RE3?" because RE3 has more in common with RE1 than RE2 does.

If anything, CV shouldn't be numbered because it's a continuation to both main plotlines.
>>
>>4196560
>>4196580
I believe the original idea was that each RE game was supposed to have a new set of protagonists. RE1 had Chris and Jill, while RE2 was supposed to have Leon and Elza. But then they changed all of that by replacing Elza with Claire in order to better connect the two games. and so all the mainline games since RE2 (including CV and Revelations) basically rotated between those four characters until RE7 came along. It's pretty absurd how Leon is pushing 40 in RE6 and he still has a oneitis for Ada.
>>
>>4193418
I dont like RE3, but is the 3. CV is the... 3,5 or even 4, fuck the "real" RE4.
>>
>>4193964
It wasn't a marketing reason, it was contract. RE: CV was the original 3, but Sony said they needed three original main series games on the PlayStation, so then Nemesis got the "3" title and "3" turned into Code Veronica.
>>
>>4196909
>RE: CV was the original 3
[citation needed]
>>
>>4196909
First portion of this post reeks of bullshit but otherwise I believe it. Sony has these contracts a lot for huge series on PS, that numbered titles can only release on their flagship device and every other release has to have a subtitle so it sounds like a spin-off. (See: Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker dropping the 5 shortly after its announcement).
>>
>>4196979
>Sony has these contracts a lot for huge series on PS, that numbered titles can only release on their flagship device and every other release has to have a subtitle so it sounds like a spin-off. (See: Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker dropping the 5 shortly after its announcement).
Pretty sure Peace Walker not being MGS5 had more to do with the fact that MGS4 was a PS3 game and not with some sort of vague Sony contract. I doubt Sony cares that much.
>>
>>4196569
>and Albert Wesker.

Which was fucking retarded
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
"Umbrella is going down!"
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.