[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap CRT TV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_3469.jpg (90KB, 1000x793px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3469.jpg
90KB, 1000x793px
What's the best CRT tv I could get with $60?
>>
Depends on your definition of best. Despite the explosion in price you should be able to get a smallish (10-14 inch) pro monitor online for $60 but you should also be able to get practically any size high quality consumer CRT (or much less) for $60 locally.
>>
>>4193324
Consumer? The sky's the limit with that kind of dosh. Pro? Not a very big one but PVMs can be had for that amount. Here's an idea, go on ebay and look up pro monitors.
>>
>>4193324
Finding a good CRT is less about money and more about your time and resources. If you have the time and the place to put it you can get some of the best of the best for... sometimes nothing at all.
>>
how can those TVs be so rare now in some countries? 60 dollars is a fortune from my perspective.
>>
I see trinitrons at my local good will all the time for $20 max. I would get one but they're always the giant ones that wouldn't fit in my setup. I would love to find a 12 inch trinitron someday though.
>>
>>4193324
go for a sony wega, you wont be disappointed
>>
>>4193487
until you realize they have terrible geometry on at least one side of the screen, that said I do have one and love it.
>>
>>4193493
thats luck of the draw, mine is perfect on both sides
>>
>>4193501
there's no such thing as perfect geometry with a crt. pull up 240p test suite and reduce the overscan in your service menu, you'll see how wonky it can get.
>>
>>4193504
i disagree somewhat, i used to have two LG flatrons with like 97% perfect geometry. This sony wega i have now is pretty close too. from my experience, the flatter they are the better the geometry is.

Regarding your wega, did you try correcting things via service mode?
>>
File: 5024484551[1].jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
5024484551[1].jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>4193324

Is this a good TV?

Is this even CRT? How does one tell the resolution it outputs?

Model is Sony KV-21HFV100

It's a 21" Wega Trinitron with Side speakers.
>>
>>4193614

It's a box TV, but the screen is flat.
>>
>>4193580
There's only so much you can do with the service menu and I didn't have the remote for it anyways. But I've been in a WEGA service menu and I know that all you could do for this set was hide it in overscan.

>flatron
I have a flatron and yeah they're top tier shit. The way the tube is done is different from others apparently but they all have a slight bow in the top from what I hear, mine certainly does. As far as monitors go I think Flatron is probably the best I've seen but nearly perfect still is not perfect. Pic related.
>>
I got my PVM for around $50 in an online auction that sells studio equipment, you could buy anything with $60
>>
File: 1499024063937.jpg (1MB, 4272x2856px) Image search: [Google]
1499024063937.jpg
1MB, 4272x2856px
>>4193646
^this

Every single individual monitor in this image cost less than OPs limit.
>>
>>4193324
Depends how much moms gonna charge you to borrow the station wagon.
>>
>>4193324
Remember that CRTs weigh a goddamned ton and you'll spend more than the cost of the screen shipping it.
>>
Check your local Craigslist. Many are giving them away for free.
>>
>>4193324
Some kinda sega on Craigslist.
>>
>>4193789
Wega... stupid phone.
>>
If you live in the DC area I've got 23 incher you can have for free.
>>
File: oh I'm sorry.png (134KB, 226x247px) Image search: [Google]
oh I'm sorry.png
134KB, 226x247px
>>4193819
Mmmm
>>
>>4193827
Yes yes, and I have a TV to give away too.
>>
>>4193687
This >>4193324. If you're gonna buy a CRT then make sure to either pick it up yourself or ask someone else with a (big) car to go with you. Less chances that something bad happens to it on the way and you can eventually try it out there right before buying it to be sure.
Sometimes it's possible to fix the internals of a CRT but it's quite risky if you never worked with electromechanics before.
>>
>>4193790
Nah your phone was right.

Wegas are best avoided.
>>
>>4193919
Yeah pretty sure any wega still being hung on to have major issues.
>>
>>4193664
>
I am infinitely jealous of that setup.

It took me about 4 months to find a CRT TV and when it arrived it had big scratches in the centre. And then it took another year to find one without scratches.
I remember the days when you could walk outside and find 5 good condition TVs just on the side of the road.

>>4193687
Sometimes you can get reasonable shipping. I got one recently and it was only £9.99 shipping.
>>
>>4193324
24" Sony Trinitron with RGB over SCART and full screen calibration in service menu.

You could get 12 of those for that money here.
>>
>>4193324
I got a 14" PVM on ebay for $40 with free shipping. S-Video and composite -- good for n64 etc.
>>
>>4193324
You can get a huge wega, but it weighs like 265lbs.
>>
>>4194771
Shit man, where I am I can get one of those for 80 dollars, stupid third world.
>>
File: IMAG0327.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0327.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>4194759
If you can't find them for sale cheap/ offered free - all those were local to me and sourced through eBay or Gumtree in the past 18 months or so - then why not offer a free CRT collection and disposal service. Seriously, just get a mate to help you with heavy lifting and you'll be swimming in the things before you know it.

A lot of people just want rid of them but don't know how.
>>
>>4193324
$60 won't get you anything now that people are trying to flip their old tvs for cash out the ass due to the "vintage" gaming scene marking everything up in value. If you're trying to get a CRT tv, either fork out the money or hope to land somebody chucking one out through illegal dumping.
>>
>>4194771
you're forgetting PAL60
>>
>>4195540
???
We're FAR, FAR from that point. 99.9% of people still holding on to CRTs won't even attempt to sell them due to their perception as worthless.
>>
Don't pass a good set up just because it's not a Trinitron. Mitsubishi, NEC, Hitachi and JVC all made very good consumer sets on par with Sony's.
>>
There are absolutely no fucking PVM's in the Dallas or Texas area in general fuck

I have ONE 20M2MDU I need a BVM or something
>>
>>4195708
This. They're extremely easy to find on the side of the streets here in Ohio. I recently gave away a rather nice and extremely big CRT earlier this year to a family that didn't have a TV. Odds are it will end up on the curb the moment they get a modern TV.
>>
File: 1486261327048.jpg (38KB, 409x406px) Image search: [Google]
1486261327048.jpg
38KB, 409x406px
>>4195815
>There are absolutely no fucking PVM's in the Dallas or Texas area in general fuck
Same, I live in the D/FW area and there's fucking nothing especially in regards to professional monitors. Hell, even my local CL rarely has any good consumer CRTs, if any at all. I may just cave and put some money aside for an OSCC and just emulate in the meantime.
>>
if you pay for a crt that's not a PVM, you're an idiot
>>
>>4195997
What about VGA monitors, huh? I'd pay for a FW520/900 or an Electron Blue.
>>
>>4195994
I know man, it sucks, it really really does

slapsaledotcom rarely has one here and there
>>
>>4195997
How else are you supposed to get one?
>>
>>4193401
This, look at Craigslist. I've seen multiple huge crt TV's being given away
>>
>>4196315
See >>4195526
>>
>>4195526
That's a really good idea anon. If I knew there was a high demand for crts in my area I would do that and resell them for like $10 to cover gas. I'd even offer to drop off if they aren't far af
>>
I have two CRT TVs.

One of em is a 21 inch TV, looks fucking great with RGB SCART. Problem is of course how bulky and heavy the goddamn thing is and that as of late it's producing a pretty nasty goddamn noise. Fucking thing sounds like a goddamn cicada depending on the image on screen.

The other one is a 14 inch has almost no settings, it doesn't look that great up close and if there's no ingame adjustment I'm left with an off centered image that I don't experience on the bigger one. However, there's no weird noise, it's light to carry around, small, you know the deal.

I don't know which one to choose. I wonder if the bigger one is dying.
>>
>>4193703
This
>>
>>4196594
I am sure the noise coming from the CRTV could be fixed by replacing a worn out capacitor.

The hard part is finding out which capacitor to replace.

Does the noise increase and decrease when you adjust the volume or is it instead affected by how much bright colors are on the screen?
>>
>>4197061
>The hard part is finding out which capacitor to replace.

and not electrocuting yourself
>>
>>4196124
A VGA monitor want to see a 31kHz signal, whereas most "normal" TV's and RGB CRT monitors are 15kHz. You'll most likely get an Out Of Range of you try it.
>>
>>4193664
Serious question: why would someone need this many?

I can understand 2, maybe 3, if you have a lot of systems you don't want to disconnect and reconnect each time, but 6?
>>
>>4197253
okay, what's your point? I know that stuff and if I got one of those nicer monitors I would just use it for my PC as it's meant to be used.
>>
why is the screen like this?
>>
>>4197575
If is not dirt, is that the the tv burned some image.
>>
>>4197575
When you clean it, don't use *windex*. glass plus is ok.
>>
>>4197419
It's more a test rig for the time being until I...

A - Decide on which ones I want to have hooked up permanently.
B - Get a place with more dedicated gaming space (that's in an 8'x6' box room at the moment)

That pic shows around 1/3 to 1/2 my CRTs by the way. Rest are stored in my garage and at my parents' place.
>>
>>4197575
>>4197798
Too late. Looks like someone has already scoured off most of the AR coating.

Get the rest off with wire wool (it *shouldn't* scratch the glass but of course be cautious and try a corner first)
>>
>>4197580
>>4197817
>>4197798
>>4197824
I saw it on offerup. A girl is selling a old model Sony 27fs13 for $10 but she lives 22mins in spanaway was and thing is I think she a smoker and confirmed coalburner. Will the TV be fucked from the smoke and will I get fucked by Jamal?
>>
File: IMG_20170817_214130.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170817_214130.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
Did I do good with this Panasonic model? It got component and s-video. How comparable is it to a Sony Trinitron?
>>
>>4194771
may I ask, where is this magical land?
>>
>>4198382
>>
>>4198427
I doubt that, UK has too strict recycling rules for such things to be of abundance and cheap, probably somewhere else in Europe.
>>
>>4198443
>implying recycling rules apply to private individuals.

I can put a wanted ad in any corner shop window and have half a dozen free CRTs within a couple of days.
>>
>>4198448
What part of the UK?

I'm in south wales, and it took me over a year just to find one generic CRT tv
>>
>>4198448
I doubt that.
All you end up with is maybe one or two people wanting to give away their old shitty shadow mask tubes or sets without SCART.
>>
>>4198505
Considering I've bought perfectly good BVMs, PVMs and Profeels on fucking eBay in the £5 to £10 range I'll stand by my statement.

All normies see is a big heavy box taking up space where they want to put their 50" smart tv.
>>
>>4193703
seconding this. people cannot give these things away fast enough

got a JVC in perfect condition from a guy 5 minutes drive away
>>
>>4198505
>>4198632
This was a non issue 5 year ago, now it's impossible to find
>>
>>4198632
>All normies see is a big heavy box taking up space where they want to put their 50" smart tv.
So you are talking about 2012 here, no wonder
I don't actually know anyone who still used a CRT in 2012
>>
>>4197551
My point is, CRT VGA monitors are pretty fucking useless today, both for PC usage *and* for retrogaming.
>>
>>4198716
I guess that might be true if all you do is play retro consoles, but I primarily play PC games and a lot of them were designed for 4:3 resolutions of old.
>>
>>4195712
Obligatory "B&O is also god tier!" post. Also, Philips ones are also fine in Europe. Not sure if those two are around in America however. For what it's worth, it seems that sets from the former seem to have a higher demand than a while ago here but I'm not sure if that's permanent.

But most importantly, there are tons of brands that made great consumer sets that are still cheap (or even for free!) to grab and are also good choices for playing /vr/ consoles.
>>
>>4198695
>>4198695
There are thousands of elderly people going into care every week. Their families take their CRTs - quite often high spec ones bought on their retirement in the 90s - to recycling centres.

Intercept them by placing wanted adverts or offer a free "collection and disposal" service. The latter is less likely to attract unwanted valuations on their part.
>>
Just a heads up be careful where you get a crtv. I would never just pick one of the streets since you're taking a huge risk of the possibility of bringing in bed bugs or any sort of bugs into your car/home. I would be careful with goodwill too since theres always a risk bed bugs found a way into the store somehow. I think the best is craigslist since they usually show you a picture of the tv in their house and you can see if it has been taken care of/house is clean.
>>
>>4193324
pretty much anything, just don't fall for the PVM meme
>>
>>4198963
explain? the PVM looks pretty nice
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.