[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retroarch settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: bg.png (405KB, 703x513px) Image search: [Google]
bg.png
405KB, 703x513px
Alright, I'm trying Retroarch for the first time, and while I'm able to play the games and use my saves from other emus and so on, there are some settings I'm trying to access/tweak and I was wondering if anyone knew how, since I'm getting nothing from google.

1. How do I access cheats? I usually just brute force my way with Cheat Engine when an emu doesn't have cheats and I want to use them for whatever reason, but the Retroarch settings can download cheat database files. How do I access them?

2. Can I manually assign thumbnails to my games? It's annoying that hacks and fixes (like the Super Mario All Stars brick physics fix) mean Retroarch no longer recognizes them as a "proper" game. I'd like to manually restore their thumbnails if possible, I regularly apply translations, hacks and fixes so this makes the rom list look messy.

3. More of a curiosity, is there any point to the music/video player features? The music one opens up with this huge visualization that I want to turn off but can't seem to be able to, and the video player just... plays videos. Is this like an extra or is there a point to it?

4. The most important thing, is there ANY way to more easily navigate the rom list? Keyboard doesn't work for this (ie I can't jump to "Zelda" by pressing "z"), and it seems all I can use is the arrow keys and page up/down. Hardly useful when you have a full romset, there MUST be a way around this. It's driving me nuts, and it's actually keeping me from using Retroarch since it's such a hassle to select a rom unless it starts with "a".

Thank you guys.
>>
Go to reddit.

Seriously, they will help you while the people here will just REEEEE at you.
>>
>>4190531
You can jump to different letters by hitting the shoulder buttons
>>
>>4190592
Well, I'm not going to create a reddit account just to ask questions about Retroarch, especially since the only reason I tried Retroarch out was seeing posts about it here all the time lol. Hopefully someone else will reply.

>>4190635
I'm not using a gamepad, only a keyboard. Any way to do it with a keyboard? I thought pressing the keys would be a given, but...

Anyway, I found out how to manually assign thumbnails to games, changing the names of the pictures Retroarch downloads to its "thumbnails" folder does the trick. You just need to change the name of the game to the rom title as it appears in the Retroarch playlist.

Retroarch still won't register hacks that aren't included in the (I guess) goodtools or something, but I found this script that bypasses that restriction: https://pastebin.com/SrwNJ48s

Haven't actually tried it yet, though.

The other questions are still unanswered, any Retroarch experts around?
>>
>>4190962
>Well, I'm not going to create a reddit account just to ask questions about Retroarch
You should be able to learn everything you need just by searching.
Go through each setting and google whatever you don't understand.
>>
>>4190985
This is how I found out how to solve the thumbnails issue and the hacks not being detected issue. It's also how I found out how to use the cheats (it's tucked away on the F1 menu while a game is open).

I can't find any information on how to browse fast and with ease large romlists/playlists. Maybe I'm missing some keyword here. There's not any "setting" for it, so I don't know what to look for. Evidently I'm not learning everything I need just by searching, otherwise I wouldn't be here asking these questions to smug posters like yourself.
>>
>>4191001
Not sure how I was being smug, but ok.

How much faster do you want it? If you hold up or down for a second it scrolls very quickly.
>>
>>4190531
You're telling me to google stuff when my first sentence included this:
>I was wondering if anyone knew how, since I'm getting nothing from google.

And my other post said I had eventually found answers to most of the questions.

I want to be able to quickly select a specific rom. In other emus, if I type "Ze" I jump to "Zelda". Something like that. Scrolling fast is nice but when you have 500+ roms it still takes a long time to get to the last sections of the alphabet, and the whole selection process ends up having me pressing up and down constantly while I'm looking for the exact rom I want to play. Ideally I would like to be able to just use the keyboard and type whatever I want, but if not is there any way to jump to specific letters WITH the keyboard? I'm not using a gamepad.
>>
>>4191020
The "/" key brings up a search screen where you can type in a game name.
>>
>>4191034
THANK YOU.

Just a note if anyone winds up reading this in the archives or something, what seems to work is the key left of the right shift key, regardless of what character it inputs. That particular key isn't "/" in my keyboard language, so it threw me off at first, but even without it being "/" pressing it does work.

Now my only query would be regarding the point of the music/video player, but that isn't important at all. If anyone has any input that'd be great.

Thank you, I'm off to organize my romsets and get everything ready to play.
>>
>>4191047
>Now my only query would be regarding the point of the music/video player
Retroarch is intended to be a frontend for a HTPC. It's just bonus software so you don't need to exit RA to play a video or play music.
>>
>2. Can I manually assign thumbnails to my games?

Yes, but it does take a little bit of work. Open up the playlist file with a text editor and make a new entry. Sometimes it's picky about where you put said entry, so try to put it in the order Retroarch actually would because I've corrupted Playlist files that way. Name the thumbnail exactly what you named the game and put it in the right folder and it should work fine.

Useful to be able to do though because you can add files that wouldn't be detected at all by Retroarch with this method. Patched Mother 3 wouldn't work no matter what I did until I learned about this. I had some janky ass name for my Terranigma file as well because I was running multiple hacks with it and this allowed me to correct that too.
>>
I got Retroarch to play my favorite ps1 games, but everytime i load up a cue + bin file it says "FAILED TO LOAD CONTENT"

THE ONLY GAME i got to work was Spyro 2.

seriously wtf help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sfbXWpCHw
>>
>>4192273
Probably bad and or low quality rips. Look for redump stuff.
>>
>>4192273
Are you trying to use the PCSX-Rearmed core on a PC? It won't work. Maybe Spyro 2 worked because you used the PSX beetle core.

That said it's impossible to make the mednafen/beetle cores work smoothly on a laptop (which is what I mainly use to emulate). It's ridiculous that the only core available for PCs is so taxing. Hopefully new cores will roll out, right now it's like only being able to use the bsnes cores without an alternative to use Snes9x cores.
>>
>>4192351
Is there any way to adjust individual core settings? Mednafen has choppy audio and slow performance overall, it's driving me nuts. Messing with drivers and stuff doesn't even work because retroarch just crashes and I need to manually delete the config file to make it work again.
>>
>>4194119
When in a core go to quick menu > save core overrides.
>>
>>4192351
beetle psx runs perfectly on my laptop, I just need to disable hard gpu sync.
Also, they opened a bounty for a beetle psx dynarec, this should make it way faster.

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/48048939-dynamic-recompiler-305-bounty
>>
>>4194221
Thanks, that helps a ton. Lots of options for each core. However it seems it's only tied to specific games, is there a way to make the changes apply to the core itself for all games? Even if it takes editing a cfg or something.

>>4194228
My issue with the bettle cores (not just the PSX one, but also the Saturn one) is audio. Sound is choppy/crackling and I have tried everything to fix it to no avail. Disabling syncs, re enabling them, messing with audio latency, switching drivers, nothing seems to do the trick. I CAN play the games, but the audio is so bad it drives me crazy. Any tips? Or am I just SOL?

Hopefully the dynarec bounty rolls out soon, there's obviously tons of interest for it (seems to be the biggest bounty). Maybe that'll help me.
>>
>>4195863
OK, disregard that, I'm a fucking idiot. All I had to do was change my graphic card's settings to performance mode. Now it's working flawlessly.

Time to move my entire collection to Retroarch for real. Still excited over dynarec, it's only going to get even better when it happens.
>>
I wish I had decent programming skills to offer a new menu plugin that put games on a grid, instead of lists. I was never a fan of xmb.
>>
>>4195863
It should apply for the core, not only for the active game, you should be doing something wrong.
>>
>>4196257
Oh, yeah, there's a options to save settings for the core and one for the active game, I guess you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>4196115
Just install launchbox big box mode and import your roms and use retroarch in it.
>>
>>4196272
This program is even more of a mess
>>
>>4196272
It's not exactly decent unless you grab the paid version -and- it's not multiplatform, so loonix and fagOS users are still missing it.
>>
File: 1431830490723.png (277KB, 496x418px) Image search: [Google]
1431830490723.png
277KB, 496x418px
Not OP here.

I used to have Retroarch a while back but deleted it and now I downloaded it again and set everything up. However, now when I scan my SNES ROM directory it's not recognizing anything no matter what I do when it used to fine.

Does this have to do with a new version or something? Now if I want to play something I have to scan every file individually and this is making Retroarch practically unusable.
>>
>>4196467
Did you download the databases?
>>
>>4196474
Yes, I've downloaded everything.

This has left me completely perplexed.
>>
>>4196467
I tried scanning a directory in the new version and it's not working too, probably a bug in the new version.
>>
>>4196476
Weird. Usually if you don't download them through the online updater it won't scan dick.
>>
>>4196584
Yeah I've tried literally everything, about to just give up on Retroarch unfortunately.
>>
Does Retroarch not recognize SMC files?

Just downloaded Super Mario All-Stars and it won't recognize it, but it recognizes all my other games which are SFC.
>>
>>4196592
I think renaming them should work fine. I used to do that.
>>
Anyone know the difference between the Mednafen cores?
>>
why don't ps1 games scan?
>>
>>4197890
I'm having the same issue. For reference, I have bin+cues and they just won't be detected by the scan.

Another question, is there a way to force RetroArch to start up on a maximized window AND to make all cores start on a maximized window too? I don't want full screen, and it's obnoxious to have to maximize the window every time I play something. I really want the gui to open on a maximized windows by default because it's just so much easier to read the tiny font that way.
>>
>>4196467
I have the same problem, can't scan anything to my collection. And yes I downloaded the optional database
>>
>>4196467
>>4197890
>>4198038
>>4198752
It was a bug with the 1.6.6 version, they released 1.6.7 which corrects this problem.
>>
>>4199120
Good to know.
>>
>>4190531
>>4196467
>>4197890
>>4198752
Don't bother using playlists/scanning etc. Shit's brokeb. Just set your folders up properly and select your games the normal way.
>>
Can anyone tell me how to change discs through the PSX Beetle core? If I try to use the set disc image option through the F1 menu, it just loads the other disc, but doesn't let me swap it. I see settings like open/close tray and "previous/next image", but how does it work? Can anyone tell me? Google isn't helping.

Also, do pbp images get scanned into playlists? I'd like to use them, but it seems RetroArch is only recognizing cue/bins.
>>
>>4204271
I think "Append Disk" got broke in the latest version. If you load an m3u file that lists all the discs, then you should still be able to change the discs by ejecting disk and changing disk index.

m3u is how the regular Mednafen handles disc changing, btw.

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/#Section_multicd_games
>>
This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to join a GB, GBC and a GBA playlist under the same core? Like with VBA-M, since on a standalone VBA-M you would be able to play GB/GBC and GBA games.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.