[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Story isn't important in fighting ga-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

File: Art_of_Fighting_1_cover.png (297KB, 300x396px) Image search: [Google]
Art_of_Fighting_1_cover.png
297KB, 300x396px
>Story isn't important in fighting ga-
>>
File: 51R6VFJT96L.jpg (48KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
51R6VFJT96L.jpg
48KB, 317x475px
mes.
pic related agrees
/thread
>>
AoF was so cool. Was really stupid you can't play single player as other than Ryo and Robert but the rest of the cast is playable in versus. Literally why?
>>
File: kasumi-gre.gif (80KB, 100x133px) Image search: [Google]
kasumi-gre.gif
80KB, 100x133px
Well I think it's about striking that perfect balance.

Give the characters motivations and goals to be where they are, tossing in some banter and ending that fleshes out things and boom you're gold.
>>
Well it really isn't, story and character motivation are just cool extras. It's good that they are there, but no one plays fighting games specifically because of the plot, art design, backgrounds, music...

Well no one except that dedicated shitposter but it's certainly a pretty dumb thing to do.
>>
File: sf3-ryu-2.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
sf3-ryu-2.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
>>4186938

I don't think you're really understanding the mindset of the general consumer. Game play should ALWAYS come first but that doesn't mean story and character don't matter because they do. A LOT. SF5 tanked because it didn't give the "casual audience" something to sink their teeth into and even Soul Calibur 5 got shredded when they dropped the ball on single player stuff and gutted the roster.

Presentation is important and no matter how tight the mechanics are if the overall package isn't interesting you're only going to wind up selling to a very vocal minority
>>
>>4186748
It isn't, but is a good plus, that's why SNK was so superior back then
Crapcom never care about story in fighting games, minus Rival school and Kikaioh
>>
>>4186950
Agree, that's why games like Blazblue, Mortal Kombat and Injustice are so succesful.

TONS of single player contents and good story mode.
>>
Ive said this a few times in the past but I think more than story what fighting games need is a strong setting.

South town is the perfect example. The plots of the games never really got more complex than "Beat up assholes Crime Boss X" but when you actually have the game explore the place the crime boss is controlling and threatening just by having the locals serve as game stages you get a good sense of what's actually at stake just from being there on the street. Ryo wants to save his sis, Terry wants to avenge his pop, simple stuff, but when you give them a place to call home it not only humanizes them but lets you fill in a lot of the blanks of what they may do in their off time. Even AOF3 has you running all over Mexico looking for someone but by keeping it confined to one map the city you're in gains identity. Last Blade has you running all over Japan but the stages give a real sense of weight to the historical events and combination of new world wonder and post war melancholy just by existing. These games don't have complex stories but their characters and world feel alive and like an actual place in the context of the narrative.

Street Fighter on the other hand is too general. The World Warrior sounds impressive but what makes it's China stage unique? China's a big country just having one rando street corner doesn't tell me anything. The USSR had a lot of construction yards, Japan has a lot of temples and Bathhouses and I don't even know what the deal with Cammy's The Pit bridge is.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.