[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best NES emulator on linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

Hey, /vr/, I want to get your opinions on the various NES emus for Linux. I got this purty frontend all set up, and I need a better emulator to go under it.
I had retroarch+bnes, but it seems light gun support has been busted for ages. Shame, 'cause I like the rewind feature, but not being able to play Duck Hunt is a deal breaker.

Then there's Higan, which is written by an autist who only cares about cycle accuracy, so its interface is shit and there's no way to hook it up to my frontend at all.

That leaves:
Nestopia (UE?)
Fceux
HalfNES (but that's Java)
Mednafen's NES
MyNES

And probably half a dozen others, because it seems like everybody writes an NES emulator sooner or later.
What do you gentle folk use?
>>
>>4186507
I didnt kow there were any emus for it
>>
Nestopia UE under Retroarch.
>>
>>4186507
I like mednafen, but I'm not a hipster or anything so it probably isn't """cool"""
>>
>>4187467

Yeah, Nestopia UE sounds good, though I'd not use it under retroarch until they fix their lightgun support. I've tried three different versions of RA and couldn't enable a lightgun on any of them, though some old messages say it used to be possible in Settings->Input.

>>4187478

Yeah, Mednafen looks like the best choice so far. Minor bitch: While it has the cool-ass rewind feature, it can't be enabled by command-line options or config settings, only by using the Alt-S hotkey after loading. Which means I can't use this on my TV with a controller unless I patch the source code myself. Hopefully I can figure out a way to at least set it always on for Nes.
>>
>>4188054
You can rebind command keys with shift F2, even to a controller.
>>
>>4186507
I personally use Mesen. I don't remember if there's a precompiled version for Linux so you may have to do it yourself. I feel like there is a way to use a Wii controller as a mouse and in turn play light gun games with it, but I usually don't bother with those games so I don't know for sure.
>>
>>4188186

Cool, that's nice to know, I must have missed that in the docs. I'd still rather have it just be on by default on the NES. It's not like I'm short on ram or processing power for a system like that. Still, if I have to have one button on my controller spent on "make the rewind work" I guess that's alright.
Rewind is great for some of those old games with the cheap hits and the learn-by-dying bullshit. Maybe twelve year old me could beat Ninja Gaiden in the two days I had it as a rental, but my reflexes (and patience) aren't what they used to be.

>>4188197

Okay, I'll check that one out too. It looks pretty nice, and hey, he added actual command line options, though I don't see any docs on the webpage.
>>
File: shamefur dispray.jpg (119KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shamefur dispray.jpg
119KB, 640x480px
>>4188279
>Rewind is great for some of those old games with the cheap hits
>>
>>4188279
>Okay, I'll check that one out too. It looks pretty nice, and hey, he added actual command line options, though I don't see any docs on the webpage.

Docs for the command line options? Help->Command-line Options in the emulator itself lists all available options and their value ranges.

Beyond that, I'd like to think I made Mesen user-friendly enough to not actually require documentation from a user's point of view. Although writing one is still something I want to get done, someday.

On the other hand, I am unsure if Mesen will play nice with a frontend under Linux.
>>
>>4188295

Yeah, you try playing Silver Surfer without it. Rewind can make a terrible game actually fun.

I'd need it for fewer games if the dpad wasn't busted on my controller, but analog to digital is kinda shit.

>>4188324

Yeah, I haven't actually tried it yet, I was just commenting on the website. Give me a few and I'll see what's what.
>>
'Kay, building Mesen with GCC just gave me a binary that segfaults on launch. Redoing it with clang now.
>>
>>4188421

Nope, that segfaults too. Weird. GCC did have warnings out the wazoo, signed and unsigned integer comparisons and stuff all over the place.

Oh well, Mednafen it is.
>>
Retroarch with Nestopia UE
>>
>>4188439

I can't get lightgun support to work on retroarch. Whether with prebuilt binaries or ones I've compiled myself, it doesn't have the option anymore. It's dead, Jim.
>>
>>4188443
What do you mean? Does it work with a mouse?
>>
>>4188435
The warnings are normal - I don't really bother fixing GCC's because I never use it much.
If you used the 0.9.1 tag's code, you shouldn't get any warnings with clang.
If you used the latest commit, then that could potentially be why you were getting crashes. I only test linux builds when I make new releases, so the latest commit can break in-between releases (and I have done a pretty large number of changes in the last week since the previous release)
If you did use the latest, you might want to try deleting the /home/<user>/Mesen folder, getting 0.9.1 instead, running make clean & then compiling again.

Either way, hope you find something that works for you! (To be fair, mednafen is probably a good pick for use with a frontend, since it has no UI of its own)
>>
>>4188451

Well yeah, I prefer to use an emu that has some kind of support for lightguns, 'cause I love lightgun games. (I was thinking of setting up a spare wiimote as a pointer and using that.) Retroarch apparently supported lightguns at one time, but no longer does. Old posts refer to switching the input device to "Lightgun" but now it only has "Retropad," "Retropad with Analog," and "None" in that option. I got mouse support to work with the menus (badly) but still no joy.
All in all, retroarch seems like a great idea with a half-ass implementation.

>>4188463

I grabbed 0.9.1 source code, and on Debian stable it's just not working. Clang gave no warnings, it's true, but it still didn't work.
No biggie, Mednafen seems to be working well for me.
>>
>>4188682
>Debian stable it's just not working

Thanks, I'll try to get around to building myself a Debian VM at some point and seeing if I can reproduce the crash. I've personally only tested it on Ubuntu so far (though I have heard it works on ArchLinux as well)
>>
>>4188784

osboxes.org has prebuilt Debian appliances for virtualbox.
>>
>>4186507
man... i wish i knew how to linux
>>
>>4189024
google is your friend. Install ubuntu in a virtual machine and just fuck around in it.
>>
>>4189024
>posted from my iphone
>>
>>4186507
Mednafen. It seems scary, but read the man page and it's actually super solid, super reliable, and configurable. Even setting up a joystick or controller is super easy, but does use the command line a bit.

Also, Nosefart! Nosefart is a .nsf file player. Play nes tunes from command line!
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.